Squat Depth And Form Check

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Not sure if you guys remember, but a couple months ago I started doing squats again for the first time in a long time and couldn't even get to parallel with 135 without leaning way forward. I have been really working on it. Moving up slowly in weight, working on my hip mobility. Any feedback on this triple with 205# would be much appreciated. Depth OK? Form decent? What can I improve on? With my gimpy back, I want to get the form dialed in before I start putting a ton of weight on. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkiJRp1zBmE

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bcpower66

• rico300zx

• cwdutton

• climber511

Make sure your first movement is your hips. Also, try to sit between your legs more. Really try to force your knees apart to achieve depth.

Mike

I couldn't even watch the past the first squat. Between this and your 450DL from yesterday. There's something going on that isint right. I'm telling you your gonna hurt your self. Its like your scared or something. I don't even know what to say. You need to look up or upish for one. Also move the hips and spread your legs when you go down. Burry you gut "if you got one" in between you thighs, lean forward some its ok your not a bodybuilder. Roll the bar down on your back. Your also doing something right before you go down. What ever it is don't do that! you'll loose control when it gets heavy. Also I found the heavy weights force you into form somehow. Watch some of my squat vids. And my dead vids in slow motion if you have to. You need to study form. Maby you can pick something up from watching me. I learned from a guy who was really into squatting. He taught me everything I know I was a good student. Now I'm A lifter. You also need to invest in something safe. Like a full rack like I have, used $200 on ebay. If I can't do it no prob I won't get hurt. I care about ya bro study these lifts more so you don't hurt your self and do what I've done in the past.

"Double hernia survivor"

Rico

Depth is fine but you're knees should not pass you're toes try a wider stance maybe.

Concentrate on driving up the hips not the bar.

Like Parris said, dont be afraid to lean forward to keep you're balance if you have to but keep those knees behind the toes.

I like to squat with very thin soles or with no shoes because it transfers the weight to the heels better BUT take precautions to reduce slippage or you will regret it.

I use the box squat as a learning tool, it has worked well for me.

Well, this is what i can help you with hope it helps.

:mosher

You break at the knees first, that´s a big no no.

Always break at the hips first and sit back as far as you can.

Also, drive your neck into the barbell. By that I do not mean looking up, I literally mean drive the neck into the barbell as in push your head back. This will help you keeping your back straight and nice. Also, squeeze your shoulder blades together as hard as you can.

Another little pointer is that you´re not nearly as tight in your whole body as you should be. Every muscle in your body should be tensed to the max. Before each rep, suck in as much air as possible.. and then a few more gulps of air on top of that. Do not hold the air high up in your chest but in your belly. Make the belley as large as possible and the squeeeeeeeeeze all of your muscles as hard as you can. Then squat by breaking at the hips first and by sitting back as far as you can.

Did that make any sense?

Some really good advice in the posts above. Your knees do come forward quite a bit and it's because your butt isn't going back far enough. Your weight is also shifting forward onto your toes. The knees/butt/weight shift thing is probably due to lack of flexibility in the hamstrings and calves. The more flexible your hammies are, the more you will be able to get your butt back and load your hips. Flexibility in the calves will let you keep the weight more towards your heels which also helps you load your hips.

Get stretchin!

Brent.

Make sure your first movement is your hips. Also, try to sit between your legs more. Really try to force your knees apart to achieve depth.

This advice helped my squat a lot. You might also want to work on ankle mobility, Eric Cressey has written extensively about it.

Depth borderline for a comp, but good enough for training.

I also concur with learning to spread your knees and sit in between them. You are folding over pretty good, and it doesn't look like a weakness issue.

What everyone else said...get that weight back ON YOUR HEELS to help facilitate it. I thought I can see your weight actually go to the front of your foot (a no no) during the squat.

As usual I think everyone is right but wrong. Squatting for what? A "proper" squat is kind of impossible to define. What is the goal? If the object is to lift the most weight possible, then a power lifting style with a low bar, sit back position to recruit as many muscles as possible and take advantage of the hips and low back strength may be right for you. If Olympic lifting, sports, or even bodybuilding etc then toes over the heels is Ok, high bar etc. If you quit thinking about things in the beginning and listen to your body, you can probably figure it out for yourself. To me anyway, the key is to keep the bar and your body's center of balance over your base of support - and that is 100% going to depend on your own personal leverages, flexibility, etc and no one else on the planet is going to be exactly like you. So you are much better off listening to your body than to anyone on this or any other board. My two cents is that its best to learn to squat clear to the bottom first and then work on parallel or your choice of depth afterwords. It's important to me to be able to drop down and get something out of the bottom shelf of my cupboard and I haven't seen anyone yet do that with a wide stance, sit back style of squat stopping at the height of the second shelf in my cupboard. When I teach my track kids to squat - I start with a KB Goblet squat - move to the overhead squat with just the bar and only after that do I move them to a regular back or front squat. At that point, I seldom have to do much of anything else to see a nice squat form. In my experience - people seldom go deeper as they add weight, only less deep. Why not start out ass to grass and as the weight goes on, perhaps end up at a nice parallel squat - the bonus is that at that point you have the ability to do either or maybe both at different times in your training. Another little drill is to just drop into a rock bottom deep squat without thinking about it - our bodies are so much smarter than we are when we turn it loose.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks everyone. I have improved but obviously have a LONG way to go. I am definitely going to keep working on these.

Very perceptive Bill. I actually had to push off my toes at one point or I felt like i was going to topple forward. I am going to incorporate wall squats into my daily mobility exercises and work box squats in as well.

Chris. Agreed. I think the goblet squats have helped as much or more as anything else. Will definitely be keeping those in the program. Right now, I think it's time to drop the weight back down to 135 and find this damn groove. Then start back up in weight. The deads are enough to keep me building top end strength for now.

Another thing that you might want to try is to curl your toes up when you squat. This was also something that I did that helped me sit back. If they're curled up you wont be able to travel forward.

The problem with "ass to the grass" is it's a big misnomer. No one puts their ass on the ground. And, it's often described for a squat depth that is not even close to butt on the ground. :upsidedwn

Second,and most importantly, most don't even have the flexiblity to go really deep without lower lunbar ROUNDING which is very dangerous for the spine.

Guest Bullitt

The problem with "ass to the grass" is it's a big misnomer. No one puts their ass on the ground. And, it's often described for a squat depth that is not even close to butt on the ground. :upsidedwn

Second,and most importantly, most don't even have the flexiblity to go really deep without lower lunbar ROUNDING which is very dangerous for the spine.

Especially when, like me, you have the back of a 77 yo man as my spine doctor told me before he opened me up. :laugh He really knew how to hurt a guy. Ass in the grass or any predetermined depth isn't as important to me as correct form so that I can eventually add weight without compromising my back. Then again, I could always go to Gold's and load up the bar with 405 for some quarter squats and 900 on the leg press for some 2" leg presses. That could work too. :trout

Thanks again everyone. I will report back with my progress as it comes. I really do appreciate everyone offering this help. Lord knows I need it. :)

Mike,

I would suggest getting the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Or learn from people who can put up big numbers or have some credibility in squating or teaching people how to squat.

As for starting strength, it will give you step by step instructions on basic barbell movements. Squat, Deadlift, Bench and Military press.

No offense to anyone here on the board, but most people here focus on hand strength not core lifts. Look at everyones goals. You don't see many high number squats, deads or military press. So it's not the best place to get advise.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

I think you will find most people here do a ton more than just hand strength. WIth out body strength you never get stronger hands. My 2 cents

Yea I like grip and all but I do my squats and deads first. And when I'm pressed for time I do squats and I think I have pretty high numbers for doing it as a hobby, the grip stuff for me I couldn't live without but the core exersizes keep me healthy and are the reason I do well in grip. I'm always willing to help anyone who wants advice too. But all I can tell is what I know from experience.

Rico

Rico

Mike,

I would suggest getting the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Or learn from people who can put up big numbers or have some credibility in squating or teaching people how to squat.

As for starting strength, it will give you step by step instructions on basic barbell movements. Squat, Deadlift, Bench and Military press.

No offense to anyone here on the board, but most people here focus on hand strength not core lifts. Look at everyones goals. You don't see many high number squats, deads or military press. So it's not the best place to get advise.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

So by your logic, Rippetoe can squat ad DL more than anybody on the board? He might be a good coach but most of us can out lift him in our sleep. There is value in good coaching, but more value in experience.

Brent.

I couldn't give a crap about hand strength. Does that qualify me?

One more thing I happened to think of. It looks like you're squatting on padded carpet. This is going to cause you to shift around and make it hard to drive through your heels and apply force to the floor. I'd recommend getting some plywood or something to lay down on the floor while you squat.

Mike,

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

So by your logic, Rippetoe can squat ad DL more than anybody on the board? He might be a good coach but most of us can out lift him in our sleep. There is value in good coaching, but more value in experience.

Brent.

Did you read my post. I also said credibility in squating or teaching people how to squat.

I'm willing to bet there are pleanty of people that don't have perfect form but they continue to go heavy and don't address there problems or weaknesses. To many people ego trip.

It's just not lifting I'm talking about, it's everything in general. People seem to give advise in a subject that they haven't come close to mastering, or they don't practice what they preach.

Guest Bullitt

I just really appreciate everyone helping with the critiques and advise. Compared to me, most everyone on here is an expert. I started lifting weights again a little over a year ago and at 42 am pretty late to the game. I just think it's cool that you guys are willing to help a guy that is obviously not super strong at this point, but wants to learn the right way to do this stuff. In fact, I was very hesitant and more than a little embarassed to even put the video up here asking for help because it is such low weight and the form was so bad. But my desire to get it right outweighed my pride (that wouldn't have happened in my 20s :) )

In my 20s I could load the bar up and go as deep as i wanted. My form was probably not much better then, but I could get there. This time around, not so much. between the two back surgeries and the extra 20 years, the body sometimes doesn't want to do what I tell it. :angry: By asking these questions and putting it out there on my grip stuff and my DLs I have been able to reach a pretty decent level in those areas. Hopefully I can get my squat where it needs to be as well. But one thing is for sure, I could never get there without people like you guys helping me. I'm always amazed how willing people on this board are to pay it back and help us guys who are trying to learn. Very cool

Anyway, thanks for helping the weak, old guy with the funny form. I will definitely be working on this and will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks Again!!! - Mike :D

Mike,

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Brent.

Did you read my post. I also said credibility in squating or teaching people how to squat.

I'm willing to bet there are pleanty of people that don't have perfect form but they continue to go heavy and don't address there problems or weaknesses. To many people ego trip.

It's just not lifting I'm talking about, it's everything in general. People seem to give advise in a subject that they haven't come close to mastering, or they don't practice what they preach.

Who's to say Ripp-off is right, though? All he does is try to squeeze every single person into the same box. We can't all squat and pull the same way. People have different leverages that need to be taken into account. Every time I've tried to squat the way he says is "right" I get dumped forward and put a ton of strain on my back.

Mike,

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Brent.

Who's to say Ripp-off is right, though? All he does is try to squeeze every single person into the same box. We can't all squat and pull the same way. People have different leverages that need to be taken into account. Every time I've tried to squat the way he says is "right" I get dumped forward and put a ton of strain on my back.

So who would you consider a good teacher or coach?

How about this post a video of you sqauting 135 then post on of you doing 90% of your max. Lets compare your form.