Capitol Grip Cup

Guest Bullitt

Oh there was susposed to be a AND there.

I was working on DO axil. But I'm also in the race to 550 so I just use the same thick bar since I figure it won't hurt and just switch my grip and add weight. Oh yea the 1" vbar. I don't even know what I'm susposed to do with it. You guys are close to 400lb? Not me that's for sure.

Rico

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shoggoth

• rico300zx

• The Chuck

• barbe705

Oh there was susposed to be a AND there.

I was working on DO axil. But I'm also in the race to 550 so I just use the same thick bar since I figure it won't hurt and just switch my grip and add weight. Oh yea the 1" vbar. I don't even know what I'm susposed to do with it. You guys are close to 400lb? Not me that's for sure.

Rico

I think their top mean weight is more around 350. I'm hoping to have 300 by then. There are some real standouts with each event though coming from who I can see showing up so far. At the least from what I've seen of your sledge work and pinch you'll do quite well in the placing even without a 400# v-bar buddy.

Tonights contest prep

Squats 5x5

Inch trainer 5x5

Hey does anyone have a inch dumbell we can fool around with at th contest? I want to try one so bad!

Rico

Because we are having 6 events, we will be probably limit the 2HP to 48mm and 54mm. These are the two most popular widths, but if this is a major problem, we can add one more width. I just don't want to get into 6 different widths. It really slows things down. Any suggestions on widths for the ladies??? I thought 48 and 42.

We will be using athletic tape on the sledge except for you Rico. Bare, with Vaseline all over it. :tongue

Just a thought - You could really speed the pinch up if you limited the number of weights you lift on the pinch. For instance, you could start at 100 and add 10 pounds each time. You're going to limit some peoeple's max number a bit by doing that, BUT you could end up doing that in limiting the widths you use as well.

Because we are having 6 events, we will be probably limit the 2HP to 48mm and 54mm. These are the two most popular widths, but if this is a major problem, we can add one more width. I just don't want to get into 6 different widths. It really slows things down. Any suggestions on widths for the ladies??? I thought 48 and 42.

We will be using athletic tape on the sledge except for you Rico. Bare, with Vaseline all over it. tongue.gif

Just a thought - You could really speed the pinch up if you limited the number of weights you lift on the pinch. For instance, you could start at 100 and add 10 pounds each time. You're going to limit some peoeple's max number a bit by doing that, BUT you could end up doing that in limiting the widths you use as well.

Jedd that dosent sound half bad, you would be warming up as well as you go. beside i have never lifted on a real euro before, and it would be nice to have a feel for it and i wouldnt even know what weight to go for next if i had to guess, although 100 is probally really light for everyone, how bout that Mike do you like Jedds idea?

rico

would we ever go to smaller increments? or would it just be 10# jumps until your out?

this has come up in highland games comp with the sheaf. at each height you get three attempts. it can take forever. an idea that was floated once is to limit the total number of attempts a person gets. in this case you would get 4 attempts and x warmups. some people pull about 17 warmups so the don't waste any of their attempts coming in too early.

another idea would be a clock. 2 minutes for all warm ups at a weight and then attempts start. if you aren't paying attention and miss the warm up you want then screw you. this is the real issue with the event. the ad calls x weight for warm ups and it takes 10 minutes because every time someone goes to start attempts someone steps forward and says they had wanted that weight. it really slows things down. I think that the real answer to this problem is an AD who is not a nice guy and makes people pay the price for screwing around. and 1-2 minutes would be more than enough time. they're warm ups and people shouldn't be treating them like they're WR lifts that will cure cancer. keep things moving and, again, if someone misses the weight they wanted because they were BSing, tough.

Guest Bullitt

Good ideas from Jedd and Brent. I'm willing to try anything that will keep things hopping and make the contest fast and fun. This includes possibly dropping an event. Please see the thread on CGC entry form. I've asked what event would you vote to drop, if we have to drop an event.

Edited by Bullitt

The time issue is one I have been giving a lot of thought to since Gripmas - I'll write something up here soon.

Yesterdays contest prep

Just thickbar chins and got some stuff together for working out wile at disney. Today light sledge levering and tonight bench since my forearms are smoked from yesterday. Haven't picked up a gripper in weeks. Forearms lways to sore and I don't want to pop a tendon. Better get on that wile I'm away their easy to pack. Also did pauls 5 10s clean but didn't tape it. Another day..

Rico

Mike,

Will the entire sledge be weighed for the comp or just the head on scale?

Also didn't bench last night, Parker was sick as hell and I had to clean up barf every 20 min till 3am

Rico

Mike,

Will the entire sledge be weighed for the comp or just the head on scale?

Also didn't bench last night, Parker was sick as hell and I had to clean up barf every 20 min till 3am

Rico

Only the head was part of the weight not the whole thing. Atleast that was the way Chris did it at Gripmas. Slim counted the whole sledge, but for some reason we only count the head.

I hope Parker is feeling better.

My idea in the past for speeding up the pinch was having people below a certain weight pinch on another apparatus. There is a bit of unfairness there, but set the dividing line at 200# (under 200 opener uses a seperate implement) and if the devices are pretty similar you won't be screwing anybody over. 200 is a pretty good dividing line for pinch ability- Above and below seems to seperate the chumps from the top.

Is there anyone on your list Mike that's under 200#'s?I like the 3 attempt idea as well. If everyone at least knows their openers it should go fairly quick with some attempting the same weights.

Edited by Shoggoth

Well my vacation time was approved today so I'll check on getting my points to pay for the flight. Next is the check and I'm set!:rock

What's cross fit? Ninja warrior stuff?

Hey chris do you coach track or compete it. I was really hoping to meet you.

Parris

Guest Bullitt

My idea in the past for speeding up the pinch was having people below a certain weight pinch on another apparatus. There is a bit of unfairness there, but set the dividing line at 200# (under 200 opener uses a seperate implement) and if the devices are pretty similar you won't be screwing anybody over. 200 is a pretty good dividing line for pinch ability- Above and below seems to seperate the chumps from the top.

Unfortunately, we will only have Jedd's Euro.

Is there anyone on your list Mike that's under 200#'s?I like the 3 attempt idea as well. If everyone at least knows their openers it should go fairly quick with some attempting the same weights.

From the people that have signed up, Barbe and I have done a 2HP of 200# or above in a contest. I don't think Goody has, but I could be mistaken.

Parris

I'm not sure I'm the right person to explain Cross Fit Parris. It's a huge fitness movement right now. From what I have read, it doesn't fit my goals, but I know that some people on the board have done it and are big proponents. If somebody who has a better understanding of Cross fit can fill Parris in, that would be great. Or you can google it Rico. It's all over the internet.

I can bring mine too if you want?? My gallery has the pics. I have a full length pipe if needed too.

Rico

Parris

Parris - I coach shot and discus at the local high school and Jr High level. I intend to try Master track this season if I can also.

"Sports are to play - not to watch" - climber511

Mike, I think Brent was referring to bodyweight but I could be mistaken.

Mike,

If someone is opening really low, you can just let them use 2 45's, say for below a 150-170 opener. It will save a little time. Especially since you can alternate attempts when someone is following themselves, time you would have just been sitting there anyways.

On the axle I was thinking you could do the rep thing with 300# in a minute or something similar to what you did at Jedd's. That'd cut some time as well.

Guest Bullitt

I can bring mine too if you want?? My gallery has the pics. I have a full length pipe if needed too.

Rico

Bring it for warmups Rico. That will help a lot.

Mike, I think Brent was referring to bodyweight but I could be mistaken.

I think you're wrong, but I'm fairly dumb, so odds are, you are correct sir. But I still think you are wrong. :tongue

Mike,

If someone is opening really low, you can just let them use 2 45's, say for below a 150-170 opener. It will save a little time. Especially since you can alternate attempts when someone is following themselves, time you would have just been sitting there anyways.

Good idea Bob. I like that.

On the axle I was thinking you could do the rep thing with 300# in a minute or something similar to what you did at Jedd's. That'd cut some time as well.

I like that as an option Jason. If we get a ton of people, that would definitely be a huge time saver. Plus, it makes it a grip endurance event, which I think is one aspect that isn't tested as often. It also takes away the problem of deadlift strength coming into play and makes it more grip centric.

the deadlift for would be a good idea as far as a time saver goes. and there are no other endurance events. and it does help shift focus from back to grip.

I tried to figure out if I meant bodyweight or event weight. I'm not sure what comment is event being talked about. if it's the 10# jump comment. that was a reference to the 2hp jumps. so, event weight.