• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• The Natural

• bcpower66

• rico300zx

Nice work sam

Rico

First one to puke on camera. 8:30. John, a deal's a deal!

-Rex

Strong lifts guys, but I really want to know the song and artist of that arnold song? My son loves the "get to the chopper" quote, he'll get a kick out of that song.

Rico

440x9 tonight, no belt or wraps. I am going to rep out with 440 for a while in the hope that when i go back to 400 and go for 20 it will feel light. I have trained for a lot of specific things in the past, and hit them before moving on - #3 cert, 350lb overhead for example. At the moment i am obsessed with high rep squats. I have never wanted any strength feat before as much as i want 400x20 now - i will do it this year!

Sam you can do it , I was up to 375 x 20 about 3 years ago then I quit because all I really wanted to do was do 405 for one, isint that funny. I ended up squatting 490 that same night and just missing 500, with no belt or nothing. Let us know how doing heavier sets help you do 20 reps with a lighter weight. I did 315 x 20 tonight after school and then right back to studying!

Rico

16 reps. Still using 396 - 4 english wheels. No belt, no wraps.

That's a better pace, I think, than what I'm doing. Paul taped me last night doing 345 for 1x20, and I think the whole thing was over in a minute. I may be defeating the purpose of the 20 rep program by just banging them out. The issue I have is my bar placement. I put the bar pretty low on my shoulders, and so in the resting position, before I start my descent, I'm leaning forward a bit and it stresses the lower back. Not anything but a feeling of tension there, but I think that holding the tension for 10 seconds between reps would wear me out over the long run. What I've thought about doing, actually, is doing the first 15 or so with a low bar position, with no pausing. Then, without racking, putting the bar higher on my traps. This would let me stand straight up in between reps without any forward lean. I could then stay there as long as I wanted until I felt it was time for another rep. Just some theorizing here. Good job those squats.

-Rex

Rex I have the same prob with bar placement and leaning and sore/ tight lower back the next day. Also Rex it is easier to catch up when its higher up if you need to do breathing for another rep.

Any way I'm at 325 for 20 perfect full squats. Then I go to 335 and rack it at 15. Y, I don't know, I just quit. Should I back down and do 20 of a lesser weight or stay at 335 till I get the 20? What have you guys done when you get stuck?

Rico

rico, the best thing for you may be to put aside the high reps for now and switch to a different program. No kidding. I never do high rep squats for more than three weeks at a time (one workout per week).

1) your body will temporarily forget what it's like to handle heavy weight for low reps. You don't want that to happen.

2) high reps to failure will often wear you out if you do them for long periods.

Do six weeks of 5x3 or something, plus some cardio at the end, and come back to high rep squats later.

-Rex

Rex

Yea I was putting on 20 or 10 lbs every other day. Maby I was going to fast but I felt so light when I started at 135. Well its still light compared to a 1rm I can do. I'm gonna try the 20 rep a little wile more just to test myself. And also to show the other guys who are almost or are 40 that strength is sometimes all in your head. All in all I'm really happy with myself though. And very happy about my levering too.

Rico

Hey guys I banged out the 335 for 20 tonight I just got mad at it from yesterday. After midnight too, well time for my milk

Rico

No, these were with a belt. I only go no-belt on 20 rep stuff and warm-ups.

-Rex

Ah ok. Strong stuff. You ever used knee wraps before Rex?

Still debating when I should quit this Rex I think I'm doing pretty good so far, the last time I did this my gains were unreal. On low rep squats when I had enough of the 20s.

Sam and Rex you guys are doin good is any one else doing this that's not posting?

I'm off tonight for a halloween parade, my boys football team went undefeated 105 class!

Rico

is any one else doing this that's not posting?

I've been doing 20-25 rep squats for the last two years or so. I usually do them twice per week. I'm not at the level you guys are at though. My best is 295 for 25 reps. I always go ATG on these. Sometimes I feel like these give me more of a cardio workout than anything.

No, these were with a belt. I only go no-belt on 20 rep stuff and warm-ups.

-Rex

Ah ok. Strong stuff. You ever used knee wraps before Rex?

Just once... I once trained at a gym owned by a gear whore (USAPL equipped). He talked me into wearing them one time. I did one rep with 405 and told him to get them off of me. I would like to have a tighter pair of knee sleeves, though. The ones I have right now are next to useless.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Yea I know what u mean.. I had one bud at my old gym that by the time he got regeard back up after each squat it was like 10 min I'm standing there waiting my turn on the rack. I think he liked to make everone wait.

Rico

I noticed carusom1 is doing some 20 rep squats in his log today as well.

Rico

485x3x3 no belt or wraps. The last set was hard work, but on the first set there was definitely another rep in the tank, possibly 2.

Guest Bullitt

485x3x3 no belt or wraps. The last set was hard work, but on the first set there was definitely another rep in the tank, possibly 2.

That's just stupid. :mosher

Jedd gave me some squat stands, so I can finally do some real squats. Looking forward to it.

Cheers Mike! Awesome, start off light-ish though. 225 or so. 20 reppers make a nice pre grip training warmup! ;)