400x20 Squat - Who Wants To Race To It?

CoC#3

Thanks Andrew Chris and Mike - i have started doing higher rep work to get the conditioning level up so hopefully i'll see some improvements. I was in the gym on my own this time - the power rack's always there if anything goes wrong!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• The Natural

• bcpower66

• rico300zx

My PR on this (405 pounds) is 17 with a belt. Done early this year, around Jan/Feb. My spotter slapped me on the back of the neck so hard before I got under the weight that I had a hand-shaped bruise there for about a week.

I did 16 about three weeks before that, in the middle of a month long bout with pneumonia. That day will go down as the most miserable gym workout ever. I had this weird delay-vomit thing going on. My breathing slowed down a bit, but about 20 minutes after the set was over, I had to run outside and throw up all over the place. Big splats.

Point being, weird things start happening as you get closer to 20.

-Rex

thanks Frank!

- 180kgx13 i start squatting 40 secs in. Cardio let me down again. This is a PR for no belt or wraps though, all i am using is neoprene sleeves.

It seems to me you could do another 2-3 reps easily....Raw power Sam! :rock

Rex, what is your best without a belt? Also, on a max squat, how much do you reckon you get out of your belt?

Rex, what is your best without a belt? Also, on a max squat, how much do you reckon you get out of your belt?

About seven weeks ago I did 1x20 with 355, no belt. I'd say the belt helps me add 30 pounds to my work weight for 20 rep squats. I've never come close to a max effort without a belt on squat. Just doesn't seem worth the risk. The belt definitely helps me, though, just not sure how much. Of all the powerlifts lifts, I think the squat benefits the most from a belt.

-Rex

- 396x15. 2 rep PR. No belt. I puked after this one, but my mate turned the camera phone off so i didn't get it on video.

- 396x15. 2 rep PR. No belt. I puked after this one, but my mate turned the camera phone off so i didn't get it on video.

I had the urge to puke last week after a set of 20 rep squats, but I would have had to stick my finger down my throat. Is that allowed, John? When I win this gripper I want it to be fair and square. Also, is chugging milk before a set permissible?

-Rex

Rex drink a few beers before you squat. The gripper will be your's for sure!

Edited by CoC#3

Rex drink a few beers before you squat. The gripper will be your's for sure!

I didn't think performance enhancers were allowed for this race. "Drunk strength" is a very real phenomenon, especially for the keg toss.

-Rex

Ok what about a full english brekkie 20minutes before? No performance enhancers there. I did some good grip feats while drinking beer after the euro champs last year so maybe there is some truth to it. Besides, there's always Paul Knight. :laugh

Ok what about a full english brekkie 20minutes before? No performance enhancers there. I did some good grip feats while drinking beer after the euro champs last year so maybe there is some truth to it. Besides, there's always Paul Knight. :laugh

I agree with your general point, Sam, but glorifying Paul's alcoholism might give the wrong impression to Gripboard newbies. They should learn to build up a base of strength with more traditional methods before imitating those who have, for lack of a better phrase, taken the Left Hand Path.

-Rex

16 reps. Still using 396 - 4 english wheels. No belt, no wraps.

That's a better pace, I think, than what I'm doing. Paul taped me last night doing 345 for 1x20, and I think the whole thing was over in a minute. I may be defeating the purpose of the 20 rep program by just banging them out. The issue I have is my bar placement. I put the bar pretty low on my shoulders, and so in the resting position, before I start my descent, I'm leaning forward a bit and it stresses the lower back. Not anything but a feeling of tension there, but I think that holding the tension for 10 seconds between reps would wear me out over the long run. What I've thought about doing, actually, is doing the first 15 or so with a low bar position, with no pausing. Then, without racking, putting the bar higher on my traps. This would let me stand straight up in between reps without any forward lean. I could then stay there as long as I wanted until I felt it was time for another rep. Just some theorizing here. Good job those squats.

-Rex

Marunde took a long time for his 407x20 - 2mins 30 secs. My poor cardio usually kicks in at about 1min 30 - so just taking longer at the top and grinding out the last 4 wouldn't have cut it as i couldn't breathe - the only way i am going to do 20 is by getting them done quicker, or getting fitter.

Why not use a higher bar placement from the start? I know that today there was no way i could move the bar into a different position, that would take a lot of effort that you just don't have that far into a set of high reppers. How was the 345x20 - was it quite easy?

Marunde took a long time for his 407x20 - 2mins 30 secs. My poor cardio usually kicks in at about 1min 30 - so just taking longer at the top and grinding out the last 4 wouldn't have cut it as i couldn't breathe - the only way i am going to do 20 is by getting them done quicker, or getting fitter.

Why not use a higher bar placement from the start? I know that today there was no way i could move the bar into a different position, that would take a lot of effort that you just don't have that far into a set of high reppers. How was the 345x20 - was it quite easy?

Yeah, they were as easy as 20 rep squats can get, I guesss. When I got to rep 10, I was thinking "Oh, yeah. No problem." With a really tough set, when I get to rep 10, and realize I have another 10 ahead of me, I feel a little fear.

-Rex

- 405x26 - MOTIVATIONAL VID!

Yeah, both that guy and Marunde go with the high bar placement. I rarely change things in the middle of a training cycle, but I may play with that later on.

-Rex

I might never even squat 400 for a single, lol... but the last few times I did 20 reppers (with lousy weight, 165# or so was my best), I had the exact same problem as Rex. I used a low-bar possition and when I'm standing up, I'm leaning just a bit forward, so the lower back starts burning after a while, and the standing possition doesn't let the lowback rest enough. Sucks. :)

I might never even squat 400 for a single, lol... but the last few times I did 20 reppers (with lousy weight, 165# or so was my best), I had the exact same problem as Rex. I used a low-bar possition and when I'm standing up, I'm leaning just a bit forward, so the lower back starts burning after a while, and the standing possition doesn't let the lowback rest enough. Sucks. :)

Yeah, I think that's a better way of putting it. An aerobic burn begins with heavier weight and so it's not really "resting" in between reps. Your back is under constant tension.

-Rex

Just an idea - i haven't experimented with it myself because low back pumps have not been a major issue for me - but maybe you could try high rep deads (touch and go) to condition the low back to being under constant strain. The book super squats is a big fan of high rep SLDLs aswell.

Arturo - never say never. A 400 squat for a single is achieveable for almost everyone, it just takes time.

Just an idea - i haven't experimented with it myself because low back pumps have not been a major issue for me - but maybe you could try high rep deads (touch and go) to condition the low back to being under constant strain. The book super squats is a big fan of high rep SLDLs aswell.

Arturo - never say never. A 400 squat for a single is achieveable for almost everyone, it just takes time.

It's not really a conditioning issue. I can do 1x15 with 500 pounds on DL, and it doesn't bother me. It's just that in that case, I want a pump. In the squat case, I don't really want one. Both because it's a mental distraction when I'm supposed to be "resting" between reps and because I have to pull at some other point in the week, and there's only so many times per week that you can expose the lower back to high reps without overtraining. It reminds me of when I took a yoga class in college, and the instructor would make us hold these "resting" poses for minutes. It was a gross misnomer. There was no resting involved because some muscle was always under tension. Of course I usually stumbled in hung over and sleepy, so that probably didn't help either.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural