2009: Standing In The Cold Rain

matthcarl

Great work on the DR and brass. I've done a 7" piece of DR that I got from Ben and it's no joke. Bends very wide which makes it hard to finish. How did you think the kink was? I actually thought that's easier than bastard.

That aluminum is fun, isn't it :) As I wrote in your other thread, I think I sent you cuts from harder batch of the rebar, sorry about that.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthcarl

• ewokhugo

• cberg

• tja

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem on the rebar...it's at a good level for me (and I know I'm nowhere near you in reverse style anyway). I'm gong to try a 6" piece DO, and also DU, since I'm better at that length.

The drillrod was pretty easy to kink, but then I think the Shiny is pretty easy to kink as well. This was 7.5" so I had more room on the crush. I'll have to see how bad it ramps up at a shorter length.

I was going to bend more today, but I did something to my rigt index finger and the firt knucke is killing me. It's not as bad as it was earlier, but I can't bend or do grippers :(

I was going to bend more today, but I did something to my rigt index finger and the firt knucke is killing me. It's not as bad as it was earlier, but I can't bend or do grippers :(

Man, that sucks. Heal quick!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I've been lazy about updating here. Today I had some great bends:

1) 7.5" bolt similar to Edgin I got from tja...killed. Not as hard as I expected, but I did have to rewrap in the middle of the bend after a bad slip.

2) 6"x10mm Aluminum Square...tried it DU first. No go, so I killed it DO. The crush got hard.

3) 7"x8mm rebar in IM pads...done easily in 6 hits

4) 480 lb bastard in IM pads...kinked to 20 degrees. Needs work.

5) Huge Bastard (480 lb stock) in double pads...so close, but after 7 minutes it was still at 2 1/8" and my crush failed. I think I can do it fresh. Next time :devil

6) Later, I tried crushing down one of my old shiny failures. Done! That really pleases me. I think cold metal is tougher, so I have high hopes for my next shiny attempt.

Also, I did 3.5 miles of jogging, for what it's worth.

Trying to get serious about fitness/weight loss with some jogging:

Saturday - 3.5 miles

Sunday - 3.5 miles

Monday - 3.5 miles

Today - 3.5 miles

I got really out of shape over the winter, and I'm working back up with cardio...I am signed up for a 10K next month. It might not be pretty, but I didn't see a time limit posted, so I figure run, walk, or crawl I can at least finish it.

Good luck in the 10k. :rock I miss having local races available (I get 1 or 2 a year here). I lived in Vegas for several years and that was great for running. They had races every weekend.

Yeah, I live in a great area for races...it's a pretty small town, but once it gets warmer, I can do a 5K almost every weekend.

Oh, and stay tuned...I am attempting the Shiny cert in a few minutes.

Edited by The Writer

Update - failed on the shiny cert. I did bent the shiny to what looks like exactly 2", but it took over 5 minutes and I shut the camera off before then. I've been trying to get it clearly under 2", but I think it's stuck for the moment.

I might try something else later...like the Hex...but my crush power is fried for the moment.

nice work with the huge bastard Matt! u deserve it !...

shiny may be just a matter of times(or "miles": running will improve it)(jk) miles=running

running would certainly add to u some more aditional motivation!

Thanks Hugo!

I tried the hex, but the superkink failed me :( I only got it to around 40 degrees.

Thanks Hugo!

I tried the hex, but the superkink failed me :( I only got it to around 40 degrees.

I wish, I could just kink the hex and shiny bastards. They just rainbow on me. Pre-kinking them to 10 degrees is all it takes for me to finish them after that.

Thanks guys!

I did a 5th consecutive day of jogging, and completed 3.5 miles. It gets a little easier every day, though I am still getting outrun by snails on the uphills :D

Interestingly, my gripper strength is usually way down after I bend, but today I had some strong closes, and got my RB 260N very easily.

nice job on the shiny and huge man :mosher. looks like you do have some crush power in ya after all :D

Today was a little frustrating. I had a pair of miserable failures on the Huge and Shiny. I am feeling weak today. Maybe I just need a little rest or something.

I'm going out jogging a little later...I'm going to finish 6 miles, run, walk, or crawl.

Matt,

its time to add some variety ... maybe some reverse bending or bodyweight exercices?

You're probably right, Hugo. I've just wanted to get a couple of these certs really badly :angry:

I got in a very slow six miles today...it was sunny, though a little cooler than it's been most of the week. I had to wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt again.

Today I finally bent the shiny bastard, and got it in 1:10 if I timed it correctly. I'm feeling good about that one :cool

I guess I just felt really good overall today. I also ran for 3.5 miles, and it was a lot easier than it's been for a while.

To top it off, I had my closest miss on the #3 so far. MM0 will be mine soon!

I am most pleased with the shiny bend. I feel to an extent that I represent the 'regular' grip guy. I have no special gifts. I am not especially strong, and have never in my life been athletic. I just thought bending sounded cool, and tried it. I had to work up through every single piece of metal there was, from 3/16" round to the current shiny bastard after more than 18 months. It's interesting to see where grip is going, with something like Chad's contest, where I could not even move most of the implements, but with bending...I feel like I've accomplished something, and hope it proves that anyone can do it.

Today is my usual bending day, but I don't feel quite as strong as yesterday. I bent a huge bastard, but it took two sessions with maybe two hours of rest in between them. I know I can kink this thing and I know I can crush it...I just haven't been able to pull it off all at once yet :tongue

I ran 6.5 miles today, on a hilly route. It was rough.

awesome Matt! congrats on the huge bastard! its my goal till the summer!

what about to ran with weights in your hands?(1 lbs each hand)? its great to build up endurance and stamina.

Sometimes I run with a water bottle...does that count as a weight? :tongue I've never tried running with regular weights, and I don't think I would like it. I don't know of any serious runners who recommend it.

Matt,

i am not one expert about this subject but u can talk with Darin aka easyweight about it, he does it/did it in the past.

not weights alone but ...using one wrist band with some kind of weight inside to make it heavy.