2009: Standing In The Cold Rain

matthcarl

My old workout log is pretty much defunct, so in honor of the approaching new year, I've decided to start fresh. I have been and on and off runner and an on and off lifter for too long. I am going to try and become stronger and healthier overall by taking a middle of the road approach. I don't know how it will work, but I can only try. I am really out of shape, and I consider my health to be more important than big numbers in the gym.

Besides a few things I mentioned in the '09 goal thread, I have worked up a list of 100 stength/gip/fitness goals for the coming year (if I hit a couple before the new year, I won't complain). I don't want to sound like an overambitious clown (clown being my favorite epithet for no real reason :D) so I will only reveal goals as they are achieved.

(and yes, I do like Bonnie Tyler)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthcarl

• ewokhugo

• cberg

• tja

Top Posters In This Topic

For an inauspicious start to the log: 2.25 miles jogging this evening. Untimed, but very slow.

Good luck in your new training regime. I hope you stick with it and plan intelligently.

sounds like a good new years resolution. for the whole weight loss thing, maybe you could clean up the diet a bit too. I find when Im eating crappy (and Im not saying you do!) that it doesnt matter how much I exercise I do I still look and feel like crap. Also maybe mix some sprints in with that running, works wonders. I agree health is definitely more important than being strong

Good luck in your new training regime. I hope you stick with it and plan intelligently.

What is this "plan" word you speak of? :D

Caolin, my diet could use some work...for me actually exercising and sticking to it is the biggest thing. My weight has been up and down a lot since igh school. Lose 20 lbs, gain 30, lose 20 more...Not a good thing. I am taking it a little easier with the running this time and hopefully I'll avoid injury/burnout.

Anyway, I did a little bending today. Still waiting to hear from IM about a cert witness.

1) Wobbled a griprite 80d, but no real kink.

2) Bent a 515 lb. bastard in single leather. Very easy...mybe 30 or 40 seconds.

3) Tried a 6x1/4" square reverse. No go, so I did it DO

4) Fooled around with some 6x1/4" round...put two bends facing the same way, so it was like a "C" shape. Bet then crushed it a little more and now it looks like a sloppy wide "U". I'll never be a scrolling artist, that's for sure.

I might do more later. Right now I'm waiting for the shop to finish with my car :angry:

Edited by The Writer

Got my car back, and went to the gym for a short workout.

- Some DL's. My left hand's grip was failing at 365 :angry: That's not supposed to happen to a grip guy, right?

- Squats - 20 reps @135 lbs. Ouch. This is the first time I tried 20 rep squats and even 135 was tough. I used to do 5x5 and could do 295 for 5 ATG reps at the end of a set. My static strength is well ahead of my endurance, so I think I'll keep mixing in the 20-rep squats.

- Curls - 3 sets for 60 total reps @ 45 lbs. Was going to go for 100, but my shoulder was feeling funky. I think it was thr snow shoveling yesterday :angry:

- Incline situps - 40 reps total.

Weight (might as well track it here): 213.4 lbs.

I think it's a good idea to keep a log. Hopefully, it will motivate you to get your exercise done so you can post it here. Good luck with your goals and hope to see your name on the Red list soon. :)

Not much the last few days, as my car was in the shop again with a flat tire (and I was getting the snow tires put on, too), plus I worked 13 or 14 hours on Thursday and Friday, including a lot of snow removal (going down as XT, ha!)

Today, as has already been mentioned, I bent a 6" IM Red for the first time. I used single leather wraps. I also tried to bend a 515 lb. bastard in just IM pads, but I guess I wasn't up for it :blush

I am still waiting to hear from IM about my cert. It's been over a week since they sid it might take a week to find a judge. I'm starting to get worried :unsure

Matt, 100 goals?? Wow, you must have burned a few calories just thinking about all that! I expect to see a leaner, meaner Writer at GRiP 2009. I'll shoot for the same.

Thanks guys!

I had a kind of lousy workout today.

DB benches - My right shoulder is a little irritated. I have been doing a lot of snow shoveling at work which bothers it for some reason. Anway, I could only go up to 40 lbs. on the right side for 5 reps. I did 60 on the left, which is usually weaker.

Trap bar DL - I hate this thing. I couldn't even get 335 up with it because it slipped out of my hands. I need to bring chalk next time I DL.

Suitcase DL - went up to 155, couldn't get 185 all the way up. My one-hand strength is way down, and it is my grip that's failing. I'm not happy about that (245 is my PR for conventional 1HDL on an oly bar)

I tried lat pull-downs one handed, but they irritated my shoulder as well. I did 60 lbs rh for 5 reps, and decided it was a bad idea.

I did 3 reps @ 135 lbs on the military press at the end of the workout...not a set, really, just to see if I could. Interestingly that didn't bother my shoulder at all.

Weight: 211.8 lbs

You were there though thats better than nothing at all, shovelling snow is a pain and it effects my workouts to I know where your comming from.

Thanks, Raymo. My powerlifting must look like a joke to you, though :D

Anyway, I did 2.25 miles joggint later. Lots of snow and black ice to dodge. Fun.

What is this "plan" word you speak of? :D

Caolin, my diet could use some work...for me actually exercising and sticking to it is the biggest thing. My weight has been up and down a lot since igh school. Lose 20 lbs, gain 30, lose 20 more...Not a good thing. I am taking it a little easier with the running this time and hopefully I'll avoid injury/burnout.

Anyway, I did a little bending today. Still waiting to hear from IM about a cert witness.

1) Wobbled a griprite 80d, but no real kink.

2) Bent a 515 lb. bastard in single leather. Very easy...mybe 30 or 40 seconds.

3) Tried a 6x1/4" square reverse. No go, so I did it DO

4) Fooled around with some 6x1/4" round...put two bends facing the same way, so it was like a "C" shape. Bet then crushed it a little more and now it looks like a sloppy wide "U". I'll never be a scrolling artist, that's for sure.

I might do more later. Right now I'm waiting for the shop to finish with my car :angry:

I know exactly how you feel when it comes to weight fluctuations. summer of 2007 I was 170 then in the winter I got up to 215-220 when I completely ignored all forms of cardio and now im about 200. I think a good way to avoid burnout is to mix it up a bit. For my cardio now, ill run one day, then swim some laps the next, then the next day ill play some basketball. Variety is good.

Nice job on the 6" red too. I think you can take down a shiny

Edited by cberg

I think you can take down a shiny

Here's hoping :D I'm waiting for some to come from FBBC, and then...:devil

I had a decent workout today (by my standards)

Squats - 155x20 reps. Not easy, but not bad either. I'll try upping the weight again next week.

Incline Situps - 50 total reps

Seated Preacher curl - 45x10, 65x10, 65x10, 65x5 (fatigued)

French Press -3 sets of 10 @ 60 lbs.

Tricep rope pulldowns - 90x10, 120x10, 120x8, 100x10

Standing curl - one set of 10@40 lbs just to to add a little more pump

Weight: 212 lbs

We're supposed to get several inches of snow overnight, so it'll be back to shoveling XT tomorrow morning. It was supposed to be my short work day, too :(

I think you can take down a shiny

Here's hoping :D I'm waiting for some to come from FBBC, and then...:devil

I had a decent workout today (by my standards)

Squats - 155x20 reps. Not easy, but not bad either. I'll try upping the weight again next week.

Incline Situps - 50 total reps

Seated Preacher curl - 45x10, 65x10, 65x10, 65x5 (fatigued)

French Press -3 sets of 10 @ 60 lbs.

Tricep rope pulldowns - 90x10, 120x10, 120x8, 100x10

Standing curl - one set of 10@40 lbs just to to add a little more pump

Weight: 212 lbs

We're supposed to get several inches of snow overnight, so it'll be back to shoveling XT tomorrow morning. It was supposed to be my short work day, too :(

not a bad workout man! im waitin on some shinys too! mine should be here a couple days after xmas what about yours. ill race ya to it :devil

im waitin on some shinys too! mine should be here a couple days after xmas what about yours. ill race ya to it :devil

What?! You haven't bent a shiny yet? Sure, I'll race you, but I have a feeling if yours arrive first the race is already over :D The Shiny, the Hex, and the Edgin are my big goals right now...that and the Red cert, which I don't really expect to be a challenge.

(Yeah, now watch me choke :D)

im waitin on some shinys too! mine should be here a couple days after xmas what about yours. ill race ya to it :devil

What?! You haven't bent a shiny yet? Sure, I'll race you, but I have a feeling if yours arrive first the race is already over :D The Shiny, the Hex, and the Edgin are my big goals right now...that and the Red cert, which I don't really expect to be a challenge.

(Yeah, now watch me choke :D)

Haha Ive never even tried one. I actually struggled mightily around the 3.5" mark on the hex so well see how much harder that part is on the shiny. Those are some nice goals man, Im gonna go for the edgin sometime soon too, maybe the workout after the shiny. Youll get that cert easy, you find a judge yet?

Youll get that cert easy, you find a judge yet?

Still waiting to hear from IM. I know this is a sparse area for grippsters, but I am surprised they haven't dug up someone. In case you didn't see my other post, I did bend a red by IM's rules in 13 seconds, so I am feeling pretty confident.

The last few days have been pretty busy for me...My two long (13 hour) workdays, plus snow shoveling.

Today:

- Shoveled snow for about 3 hours

- Bending...nothing much noteworthy. I made a decent kink in a grand bastard from the old 430 lb. stock, but couldn't get it to 90 degrees. Found I cannot move a shiny in single wraps, even if it's pre-warped. I tried a hex, and failed to significantly kink it at all. I'm just feeling weak today.

- Pushups. I'm doing the 100 pushups program. Not sure how well it will work, but I am following the program. Today I did week 3 day 2: sets of 20, 25, 15, 15, and finished with 35.

Weight: 212.4 lbs. :(

This snow is killing me. I had to go to work to shovel for a bout 2.5 hours. This makes three days in a row, and no nd in sight, really...the storm's not supposed to end until tomorrow night, and we have another one coming on Wednesday :( Anyway, I am so beat from snow removal I haven't really been able to work out much :angry:

Weight: 211.8 lbs.

Today is the first day since last Thursday I haven't had to do a significant amount of snow shoveling, so I managed to hit the gym after work:

DO DL - 225x3, 245x3, 265x3, 275x3, 285x1

Conventional DL - 285x1, 325x1, 345x1, 375x1

Hammer (wide chest) Press Machine - I saw a guy on Youtube doing 600 lbs with this, with a tiny ROM. It didn't seem that impressive, so I just wanted to see what I could do with a bad shoulder a no practice. I did 4 on a side (360 lbs) relatively easily, but there was no more room for plates. I feel cheated.

Incline situps - 4 sets of 15

Donkey Calf raises - 4 sets of 15 @ 400 lbs (all the weight on the machine....kind of weak).

Leg press machine - there was one at the gym that only goes up to 390 lbs. I did 5 reps with each leg just to mock the machine. I really have no use for the free weight leg press machine either, but that's wide of the point.

Just for kicks, I also tried some one-hand overhead presses with an Olympc bar, with no weight. I have seen people (Adam Glass in particular) doing similar one-hand exercises with an Oly bar, and it sure is awkward, even with no weight. I need to work on my balance, I guess.

Weight: 212.4

Man, I can't seem to drop weight at all lately, and my diet's been pretty clean considering all the Christmas treats going around at work. MORE CARDIO :(

good job on the new log, shoveling is a great wokrout for sure!

also congrats on the 6" Red nail with just leather wraps, what a feat!!! hope you cert soon

also congrats on the 6" Red nail with just leather wraps, what a feat!!! hope you cert soon

Thanks. My bending hasn't been great lately. Today got a 6.5" bastard (515 batch) stuck at 2.5". It felt as tough to crush as a shiny.