2009: Standing In The Cold Rain

matthcarl

Matt, taking a 6.5" hard bastard down to 2.5" is pretty good by my standards.

Thanks, but I am much, much weaker than I was a few weeks ago :(

I hit the gym today, but I can't say it went that well

Squats: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5 - I just felt weak and lethargic. Ordinarily I'd start the 5x5 set at 225 and work up, but today just sucked.

Suitcase DL singles on non-knurled bar - 135 r+l, 155 r+l, 185 r, couldn't get it up lefty. Still not anywhere near my old PR, but getting better.

Seated preacher curls: 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 95x3 - I've never gone that heavy before for reps, and I was surprised.

Incline situps - 75 total in sets of 15...sort of. The last 5 reps or so were singles :blush

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthcarl

• ewokhugo

• cberg

• tja

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit - forgot weight: 211.2 lbs. Down a bit :happy

As I posted earlier, I made up a list of 100 goals related to grip/strength/fitness I'd like to achieve. Tonight I managed two:

#19 - 6" G5 IEW

#20 - 5.5" G5 IEW

(I only did the DU portion this evening, as I've already certed on both DO and reverse)

Just a couple more bends today. I did 7x1/4 square in IM pads and it hurt more than it had any right to :angry: and I tried to heart a SCF Polo 1, but I couldn't get it significantly past parallel :(

A few deadlifts today:

225x5 (DO grip)

275x3 (DO grip)

295x5 (mix grip, sumo stance)

345x2 (conventional) (maybe more like 1.5 reps...the second was kind of ugly :blush

395x0 - just wondered if I could pull it. Nope.

I am not real happy about my shoulder. It's kind of weird. I did 135x3 strict military press and it felt fine. I did one rep at 115 on the bench press and decided benching was not on the agenda for today :(

Double post...worthless computer :angry:

Edited by The Writer

I had a lousy workout today. I wanted to do 20 rep squats. When I got to the gym, the one and only squat rack was in use, so I decided to do some preacher curls (my arms need all the help they can get)

75x10, 75x10, 75x7 - my shoulder was bothering me, so I cut it short.

Incline situps - 2 sets of 20, after which the squat rack was free

I loaded 205 lbs...and chickened out at 12 reps. I'm not sure what was worse, how hard the 12 reps were, or how much of a sissy I was not to go to failure. Whatever.

After this I failed to one-hand deadlift 185 lbs, and failed to military press 155. I just feel like crap :angry:

Weight - 210.8

actually quite a surprise there...I'd thought I was up a few lbs.

Better luck next time Matt!

What's the weight you're aming for? Respect++ for loseing weight in this time of the year! :laugh

Your 100-goals-plan sounds great, I'm excited what all the other goals are, good luck! :rock

What's the weight you're aming for?

Are you talking about my goal weight? 181 lbs :blush

Respect++ for loseing weight in this time of the year! :laugh

It helps to live alone, I guess, and away from family. No holidat dinners or leftover pie for me...

Your 100-goals-plan sounds great

It's fun :cool

I almost forgot that yesterday I bent 5 70d nails. One to see how hard they were, and the rest as "New Year's" souveniers at work.

Edited by The Writer

David Horne had a post on his forum about doing a thousand reps of something in honor of the thousanth post on his site. So I did 1,000 reps with my Trainer. It took about 90 minutes, alternating hands, and not being real strict. 1,000 clicks, really. The knurling became painful after a while, but otherwise it wasn't that hard.

One day I'll have to try it with a #1.

1,000 reps is just sick! I would try it but I would never be able to keep track of the reps LOL. Nice work.

Hey Matt.Just started reading this post,Yes I have been away for awhile.As you stated at the very begining,A resolution to become healthier,Awesome,Thats exactly what I have been doing,as you know of some of the problems I have had.I have said screw the bending and grippers for now and have just tried to get healthier,I think it will make for bigger strength in the long run,I do plan on bending and grip training again,but for now just to feel way better is a great reward.I am looking forward to see how do Matt.Later bro.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been too excited about working out lately, and have been too lazy to upate here. I've done a bunch of short runs lately, nothing special, but not much serious working out. My bending especially has been off for a couple of months.

Tonight I blasted my hands with grippers. I'm not at my peak, but I did solidly close my #2.5 right handed.

I did some bending tonight...after I saw Caolin's post about moving the big square, I had to give it a try:

- 1st I waremd up with some 1/4" square.

- I wrapped up the 5/16" square in really fat pads. Didn't matter. Not even a slight warp.

- Then I had to take out my frustration on a piece of 3/8" HRS. I got stuck on the crush, but braced an elbow and got it down under 2"

- The HRS kinked so easily, I tried a piece of hex. I guess I was done, because I didn't get much kink even there :(

My bending strength is down so much I could cry :(

I failed to bend a bastard the other day, and today couldn't even bend 2 pieces of 1/4x7 square consecutively. It looks like I have to work my way back again.

My gripper strength is coming back, though. Today I managed a close of my HG 300 for the first time in a while, and just missed my RB 260N (which is my PR gripper, and I only ever closed it a couple of times anyway). I also hit easy closes with my #2 and RB 180 left handed.

I also ran 2.5 miles...I didn't dess for the weather, though, and with single digit wind chill I thought I was going to freeze!

Edited by The Writer

I also ran 2.5 miles...I didn't dess for the weather, though, and with single digit wind chill I thought I was going to freeze!

Hmmm... How many different names could be used here!

Hmmm... How many different names could be used here!

Don't worry, I already cursed myself with the worst of them...

I did another 2.5 miles on Sunday...the weather was about the same, but I was bundled up!

Today I as practicing some reverse bending...my PR is a 5" G5, but lately I've been getting even the 6" G5's stuck short of 40 degrees. I am sort of training with an eye to qualfy for the GGC, so I really want to be easily knocking out the 6" G5.

On the other hand, I saw a 5.5" G8 stuck a little past 90 degrees sitting on my bending table and figured a few isos couldn't hurt...I laid a longish hit into it, and it moved! Another solid hit, and it was under two inches! This is the first 5.5" G8 I've managed to crush down. Now I've got to go see if I can find my unfinished Edgin and shinies I have somewhere...

nice job on that G8 Matt :D !!!!

does this mean you dont hate short stock anymore??

I don't know about that :D But...

New PR!!!

After crushing the 5.5" G8, I had to try a fresh one, and I killed it! I started the crush at 90 degrees, and used double leather wraps on the thread end, and a crush pad on the head. Not pretty, but I got it :blush

I might have to give the 5.5" square another whirl in my next bending session.

Thanks guys!

Joonas - The crush is tough, but is probably tougher for me with my insane hatred of short bending stock :blush

Alan - Your training looks solid, and in any case I already lost in a comp to Brendan, Josh, and Charlie, so I know what I'm up against :D.

I'd really like to qualify for GGC at the Pilgrim Grip Comp by hitting three of the required feats. I have done the 6" G5 reverse in the past, and I expect I can work back to it. I think a #3 gripper close is possible, too. If I recall correctly, Brendan has one that calibrates only a hair over the required 140 lbs, so I might be able to weasel in that way. The third will be toughest. I might have a shot with the axle, but I've never tried it before, and my regular DO DL is nothing to brag about. There's also the 2" Vbar, but I'd have to have a 45 lb. PR to qualify that way.

There was a thread asking about how many reps one could perform on a #2 or #2.5 before closing a #3. Some of the #2 reps were lower than I'd expected. Today I got 12 parallel reps on my #2, which is the hardest #2 I've clsoed (of four, I think). I've still never closed a #3. Maybe soon...

Interesting note about the GGC...the qualifying feats look like they might be changed for people not getting a top 3 position in a comp. If they are going to be adjusted upward, I doubt I'll qualify this year.