Ironmind Wraps.

gazza

I think its good to do BOTH - its two different styles of bending - to compare the two would be comparing apples to oranges. I like both and will do both, but like fox, I'm enjoying thinner pads at the moment - I will never bash using doubles, nor would I compare the two, everyone knows, bending a bar in a bandana is alot tougher than in super wraps - if I'm in a comp, I will take every advantage I can and I sure will double them up and get them as tight as I can to give me the edge - if you don't your only hurting yourself, but the vids I will be posting in the near future (besides for the VBC) will probably be in IM wraps, although I may try some of that bandana bending cause Fox turned me onto it - I'll need to go pick-up a bandana though - I got out of my gang a long time ago :laugh

Does this mean your gonna start bending again??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh I feel all funny inside :D

I've gotta start working on the VBC sometime! haha - time is running out! ....... My comp is over now, so if I jack my hands up a little it won't be the end of the world.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gazza

• Paul Knight

• yodajaeger

• bencrush

I think its good to do BOTH - its two different styles of bending - to compare the two would be comparing apples to oranges. I like both and will do both, but like fox, I'm enjoying thinner pads at the moment - I will never bash using doubles, nor would I compare the two, everyone knows, bending a bar in a bandana is alot tougher than in super wraps - if I'm in a comp, I will take every advantage I can and I sure will double them up and get them as tight as I can to give me the edge - if you don't your only hurting yourself, but the vids I will be posting in the near future (besides for the VBC) will probably be in IM wraps, although I may try some of that bandana bending cause Fox turned me onto it - I'll need to go pick-up a bandana though - I got out of my gang a long time ago :laugh

Does this mean your gonna start bending again??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh I feel all funny inside :D

I've gotta start working on the VBC sometime! haha - time is running out! ....... My comp is over now, so if I jack my hands up a little it won't be the end of the world.

I got through "I've gotta start working on the VBC so-----" then passed out with happiness

haha - Josh, you need to start hammering on that thing too! I haven't seen many vids from you in a while! you gonna make a comeback too? ...... please ......... you were pumping out vid after vid for a while there.

My general viewpoint simply is: Up until now, the doublewrappers get very much attention and, the size of the steel matters the most. Regardless of the padding. And I think it's sad that for a BENDING COMMUNITY, the "any means necessary" rule gets so much attention on behalf of the limited padding stuff.

I don't necessarily speak of the VBC, I don't know the rules there. I speak more of a general mentality on the board. (it would be interesting to have a VBC in the future using minimal pads only, the top guys would still be the top guys, but it would be fun to see what the results were).

So I embrace the fact that so many of the big benders now are publishing videos using thin wraps, great and very inspiring to see!

That is very cool Fox. I must admit a while back I would have been very surprised to think you would reach such a turnaround. I have always had great respect for your bends and strength but with your old "I don't want to destroy my hands" kind of talk I figured you would never know the joys of painful limited pad bending.

Also for what it's worth I believe you develop a ton of strength more quickly THAT CARIES OVER TO LIMITED WRAPS training with thicker leather. I used to think they were so different that specializing in one meant little to the other but this is not the case at all. It is all well and good to want to be all hardcore and do everything in IM wraps or smaller but you are actually doing yourself a disservice if this is the ONLY way that you train.

Now that we have progressed amicably to this point I wonder if I will loose everyone all over again if bring up bare hand stuff? After all most wrapping is just shades of gray, with big double leathers being the white, where should we set the black?

Now that we have progressed amicably to this point I wonder if I will loose everyone all over again if bring up bare hand stuff? After all most wrapping is just shades of gray, with big double leathers being the white, where should we set the black?

I think we should set the "black" at bare handed bending(ie:NO pads whatsoever!!). But not only that, but before bending the steel, one would need to let it sit directly over hot coals until a deep, orange amber color is achieved in the steel. Then, and not until then, the steel is grabbed directly off the hot coals and bent. I think that would be INCREDIBLE :rock:rock:rock Or maybe lets just leave "black" at barehanded only :blush

My general viewpoint simply is: Up until now, the doublewrappers get very much attention and, the size of the steel matters the most. Regardless of the padding. And I think it's sad that for a BENDING COMMUNITY, the "any means necessary" rule gets so much attention on behalf of the limited padding stuff.

I don't necessarily speak of the VBC, I don't know the rules there. I speak more of a general mentality on the board. (it would be interesting to have a VBC in the future using minimal pads only, the top guys would still be the top guys, but it would be fun to see what the results were).

So I embrace the fact that so many of the big benders now are publishing videos using thin wraps, great and very inspiring to see!

VBC are the same rules that apply to FBBC - we are using FBBC rules so that the benders can also cert while performing a bend for the comp. Double wrapping is getting alot of attention because its within the rules to cert on FBBC bars and the FBBC list is what everyone strives to cert on - Ironmind is the only list that requires those pads and the toughest nail they have is the Red, so without any more certs in IM pads only, its not as intersting to most. However you still get alot of respect bending other stock in IM pads only and is why you still see alot of steel bend in them still

I think we should set the "black" at bare handed bending(ie:NO pads whatsoever!!). But not only that, but before bending the steel, one would need to let it sit directly over hot coals until a deep, orange amber color is achieved in the steel. Then, and not until then, the steel is grabbed directly off the hot coals and bent.

Yes but that will greatly reduce the yield strength of the steel at the temperature and make it much easier to actually bend, despite the intense pain that is still definitely cheating.

I think we should set the "black" at bare handed bending(ie:NO pads whatsoever!!). But not only that, but before bending the steel, one would need to let it sit directly over hot coals until a deep, orange amber color is achieved in the steel. Then, and not until then, the steel is grabbed directly off the hot coals and bent.

Yes but that will greatly reduce the yield strength of the steel at the temperature and make it much easier to actually bend, despite the intense pain that is still definitely cheating.

Well, why don't you publish some videos regarding bare-handed bending then?

I mean, the interesting thing with this "round" of the wrap debate that there have been a lot of videos displayed where previous "fat-wrappers" show what they can bend in IM wraps, instead of a deadlock discussion where people stand on their side of the fence and shout at each other.

As a thin-wrapper I think this is awesome, and a great motivation!

I still enjoy seeing everyone bend, regardless of what they're using really. Why don't you, as a thin-wrapper, show us what you can bend with fat pads? You might like it. It might take your bending strength with thin pads (like it does for everyone I've ever personally helped with it) to a MUCH higher level. In the process of seeing what you can bend with fat pads, you just might develop some respect for the fat pad benders who are bending very big steel.

I still enjoy seeing everyone bend, regardless of what they're using really. Why don't you, as a thin-wrapper, show us what you can bend with fat pads? You might like it. It might take your bending strength with thin pads (like it does for everyone I've ever personally helped with it) to a MUCH higher level. In the process of seeing what you can bend with fat pads, you just might develop some respect for the fat pad benders who are bending very big steel.

Oh, pleeeaaaase, when have I stated that I don't respect fat-pad-benders?!?!?!? When have I said that IM wraps is the "way it should be done"?!?!?

Ben, let me be very clear on this point:

1. I already have tremendous respect for the fat pad benders

2. I don't consider fat pads to be illegit or cheating

3. I don't think IM wraps are the holy grail of bending :)

So, my posts meant to express that I appreciate seeing what the strongest benders can achieve in thin-wraps (includes the videos you have published) since it is INSPIRATIONAL. Not because anyone needs to prove themselves.

Regarding myself, I train primarily with IMPs because fat pads ruins my shoulders (old bench press injury, which also prevents me from benching) while the thin pads let the wrists take some load of the shoulders. Fatpads=pain in the shoulders, Thinpads=painless shoulders.

But again, I think it is sad that this obviously still is such a sensitive debate, so I suppose I should go back to the "non-posting" existence and let the fatwrappers dictate the tone on gripboard.

Oh, pleeeaaaase, when have I stated that I don't respect fat-pad-benders?!?!?!? When have I said that IM wraps is the "way it should be done"?!?!?

Ben, let me be very clear on this point:

1. I already have tremendous respect for the fat pad benders

2. I don't consider fat pads to be illegit or cheating

3. I don't think IM wraps are the holy grail of bending :)

So, my posts meant to express that I appreciate seeing what the strongest benders can achieve in thin-wraps (includes the videos you have published) since it is INSPIRATIONAL. Not because anyone needs to prove themselves.

Regarding myself, I train primarily with IMPs because fat pads ruins my shoulders (old bench press injury, which also prevents me from benching) while the thin pads let the wrists take some load of the shoulders. Fatpads=pain in the shoulders, Thinpads=painless shoulders.

But again, I think it is sad that this obviously still is such a sensitive debate, so I suppose I should go back to the "non-posting" existence and let the fatwrappers dictate the tone on gripboard.

:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink:blink

I agree with Ben's point on this, and you have given a very valid reason why this will not work for you. I was the same way working through my shoulder problems and I know Ben is very familiar with this kind of problem as well. I don't see any sensitivity or debate here really, just misunderstanding and miscommunication. I think we are all mostly reaching a more universal and non exclusive type of conclusion on the wrapping issue here for the first time.

I agree with Ben's point on this, and you have given a very valid reason why this will not work for you. I was the same way working through my shoulder problems and I know Ben is very familiar with this kind of problem as well. I don't see any sensitivity or debate here really, just misunderstanding and miscommunication. I think we are all mostly reaching a more universal and non exclusive type of conclusion on the wrapping issue here for the first time.

Hm, but the sentence "you just might develop some respect for the fat pad benders who are bending very big steel" very much implied that I don't have respect for the fat pad benders.

Hm, but the sentence "you just might develop some respect for the fat pad benders who are bending very big steel" very much implied that I don't have respect for the fat pad benders.

Tim's right, there was a miscommunication in the general tone of my post. You're right though, I did imply that you don't have a healthy respect for the elite fat pad benders. And that's due in part to you not having a lot of experience with fat pad bending or knowing what level of strength it can build. It's really not much of a debate though since I have trained with thin and fat pads.

I didn't realize that fat pad bending hurts your shoulders until now. I definitely understand your fixation on thin pad bending now. The strange thing is that it's the opposite for me. Fat pads are easier on my shoulders, and thin pads are very hard on them.

Tim's right, there was a miscommunication in the general tone of my post. You're right though, I did imply that you don't have a healthy respect for the elite fat pad benders. And that's due in part to you not having a lot of experience with fat pad bending or knowing what level of strength it can build. It's really not much of a debate though since I have trained with thin and fat pads.

I didn't realize that fat pad bending hurts your shoulders until now. I definitely understand your fixation on thin pad bending now. The strange thing is that it's the opposite for me. Fat pads are easier on my shoulders, and thin pads are very hard on them.

It's not strange at all, different strokes for different folks only. With thinpads, I use the wrists to a higher degree for the kink, at least until the bar has reached 30 degress (roughly), less stress on the joints in my shoulders. It's the same during the crush, I can't do the crush with elbows high, it's just "aouch", have to hold the bar closer and more parallell to my upper body.

Regarding the strength, I have several pre-kinked shiny bars (different lengths) that David Wigren sent me, I haven't been able to crush down 1 of them yet. So I totally understand how strong you guys are, and you are also role models for me, so the assumption you made felt little "harsh".

Peace man :)

It's not strange at all, different strokes for different folks only. With thinpads, I use the wrists to a higher degree for the kink, at least until the bar has reached 30 degress (roughly), less stress on the joints in my shoulders. It's the same during the crush, I can't do the crush with elbows high, it's just "aouch", have to hold the bar closer and more parallell to my upper body.

Regarding the strength, I have several pre-kinked shiny bars (different lengths) that David Wigren sent me, I haven't been able to crush down 1 of them yet. So I totally understand how strong you guys are, and you are also role models for me, so the assumption you made felt little "harsh".

I'm sorry man. :(

Can you feel the love???? ;):D:):rock

Can you feel the love???? ;):D:):rock

Oh yeah baby, it feels greeeeaaaaat......!

Well, why don't you publish some videos regarding bare-handed bending then?

I mean, the interesting thing with this "round" of the wrap debate that there have been a lot of videos displayed where previous "fat-wrappers" show what they can bend in IM wraps, instead of a deadlock discussion where people stand on their side of the fence and shout at each other.

I dunno about Tim, but I'll probably post a barehand bend fairly soon. My best so far is a 40ish deg. kink in a 1/4'' x 7'' fbbc crs round bent barehanded reverse. OUCH!!

Nice 2 see the old wrapping debate still going on!

He's Back!!!!!?????? Great to hear from you again, and yes, the wrap debate is still in full force :happy

Edited by naturalstrength

Hello Guys

Been a bit pissed off of late with everything in general Work,homelife,bending etc just needed sometime to think and refresh also carrying a few little niggling injuries which i dont really get as my recoupe program usually keeps me ontop of them.

Yesterday i did some bending not seen before nothing special but not seen before it went well so i a few days if the injuries are not flareing up i will get it on video i think a few might like it all i will say is it takes an INSANE ammount of grip :D

Gazza I can't believe I missed this bend earlier. This is nuts you are going back to the small wraps. I appreciate your discussion on the ego thing as well.

I was thinking about this as well, seeing all the crazy bends that the guys on here are doing makes me want to bend bigger stuff, but putting on more wraps or chalk or whatever else to get the next bend starts to have a different feel then when I first started. I am not saying it is not legit, it is still strength, but the visceral pain and intensity of a tough IM bend is simply absent in it. It does feed your ego to accomplish something no matter the method, that is the american way. In strength and sports it can go into steroids and crazy assistance equipment but it can go much father than that in other areas of life but it may be going a bit outside of the scope of this discussion to speculate about that.

One of the main things I think we are all in this for is the sense of personal struggle and accomplishment when we focus our mind and push through the pain and the difficult part of a bend and come out the other side knowing it was us and only us that made it happen. The mental aspect is not the same without the pain to me at least. I feel it is a good microcosm and training for the hard parts of life in general. So many people dance around their whole life in order to avoid pain and difficulty, I sometimes try and imagine if everyone could ignore these things and dive confidently into struggles and pain to strive for the more worthy goals awaiting them on the other side what this world could be like. I think this may be the essence of life and so many people only avoid it. I am certainly guilty of it myself and I'm not trying to point fingers, only each individual can make that kind of decision for themselves but it is people like you and things that you do Gazza that make me remember.

I'm starting to share your same sentiment, Gazza and Tim. After I took a long break from DO bending around Christmas, I picked up my fat pads and tried a bar.........it didn't feel right. Even though I'm killing alot smaller steel in tiny leathers or bandanas, I actually enjoy it alot more. Like when I first started bending. I like to feel the steel bending under my fingers, and the sting of the bar driving into your hand. I know I'm the last one you thought you'd hear that from, but lo and behold, it's true. :D:D

No Limits Gaz! You've truly helped us to push our limits as well!

Jeremiah

Thanks M8 Its early days for you yet bending wise especially in regards to your minimul and barehanded stuff but trust me once the mind and the hands adapt the rewards will be immense you really will be shocked at what you can actually bend with these extra qualities you have a strong body much stronger than mine physique wise once you get the mindset adjusted right and the hands adapted nothing will stop you mate your only just scratching the service of what you think your capable of trust me pain is only another transition.

Hello Guys

Been a bit pissed off of late with everything in general Work,homelife,bending etc just needed sometime to think and refresh also carrying a few little niggling injuries which i dont really get as my recoupe program usually keeps me ontop of them.

Yesterday i did some bending not seen before nothing special but not seen before it went well so i a few days if the injuries are not flareing up i will get it on video i think a few might like it all i will say is it takes an INSANE ammount of grip :D

I can't wait! :rock

TIM

I will hit some barehanded stuff for you in the next couple of days just did a shiny and it werent to bad considering i aint bent one barehanded in a while.

I always find when i bend in ironmind wraps,very small leathers or barehanded etc i always use more wrist and index fingers and less isometric strength except keeping the wrists straight which i consentrate on trying to lock my wrists at the start useing more wrist power and less pushing[chest,shoulder and lat power] Whereas with regular leathers i can also apply mor iso power through the pushing muscles.

The people that i started off watching bend when i started off all used minimal wrapping we all know how pat bends,Big Steve ive witnessed in person plus he used minimal wrapping on his DU style Grand bend ,Greg and Dave minimal wrapping Eric at the time just after the bending rule change from a single wrap to a piece on each end of the bar was useing single minimal wraps.

These guys paved the way for me and others i learned to bend the hard way and respect how these guys bent steel when i was a beginner and before them it was Brookfield,Slim.the Mighty Atom and Zass etc ive not seen them bend with multiple wraps so thats why i try and stick with how i started.

I know that if i bend something in a workplace or at a demo that no one is gonna duplicate it there and then even my easy stuff but if someone does it aint cause of a lot of padding its cause there strong then i can take it up a notch if i have to afterall we are talking about a feat of grip strength hear more importantly a bending feat i aint having someone bending something of mine cause off a pile of padding and making me look a tit they will at least have to earn it with some grip and wrist strength.

I took a 40lbs blob and a number 2 gripper into my workplace awhile back noone closed the gripper and one man lifted the blob a few inches and some of these guys have been useing there hands for work 4 years the guy that lifted the blob has been training in the gym for 25 yrs hes now closeing a 2.5 in both hands and bending grade 2 bolts underhanded in ironmind wraps,hes now learning thats its alot in the mind and conditioning of the hands.

What im trying to say is i teach people how to bend especially the hard way with minimal padding for a reason pure and simply because in the long run it will make you a better bender because PAIN especially teaches the body/hands but more importantly the MIND to adapt if you take the easier root why does the mind and body have to adapt it will but at a much slower rate/

Doing it the harder more painfull way will always have its downfalls mostly injuries but if you learn to push enough to coax the mind and body and learn to embrase pain abit at a time then you will go far in bending.

Pain and conditioning are the 2 things that stop most people from completeing a bend that they may have a chance of completeing[not a bar far out of there depths]Most run outa steam/strength this is down to conditionind and also is tired into ones pain threshold because a person only has so much limit strength which is usually affected by conditioning and pain or both one or the other or a combination of both will shut him down i spend a great deal of time on conditioning through isos which lets me hit a bar for alot longer and this then also makes my mind stronger which in turn over time strengthens my pain threshold.

No secrets we all have the tools look inside yourself........................"NO LIMITS"