Ironmind Wraps.

gazza

There is no adjective to accurately describe your bending Gazza. That was just... :blink:whacked:rock:bow Those wraps were barely a help if at all - not tight, no chalk, no rubber bands. The amount of strength you can impose on such a short bar is to be admired. ;)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gazza

• Paul Knight

• yodajaeger

• bencrush

Gazza I can't believe I missed this bend earlier. This is nuts you are going back to the small wraps. I appreciate your discussion on the ego thing as well.

I was thinking about this as well, seeing all the crazy bends that the guys on here are doing makes me want to bend bigger stuff, but putting on more wraps or chalk or whatever else to get the next bend starts to have a different feel then when I first started. I am not saying it is not legit, it is still strength, but the visceral pain and intensity of a tough IM bend is simply absent in it. It does feed your ego to accomplish something no matter the method, that is the american way. In strength and sports it can go into steroids and crazy assistance equipment but it can go much father than that in other areas of life but it may be going a bit outside of the scope of this discussion to speculate about that.

One of the main things I think we are all in this for is the sense of personal struggle and accomplishment when we focus our mind and push through the pain and the difficult part of a bend and come out the other side knowing it was us and only us that made it happen. The mental aspect is not the same without the pain to me at least. I feel it is a good microcosm and training for the hard parts of life in general. So many people dance around their whole life in order to avoid pain and difficulty, I sometimes try and imagine if everyone could ignore these things and dive confidently into struggles and pain to strive for the more worthy goals awaiting them on the other side what this world could be like. I think this may be the essence of life and so many people only avoid it. I am certainly guilty of it myself and I'm not trying to point fingers, only each individual can make that kind of decision for themselves but it is people like you and things that you do Gazza that make me remember.

There is no adjective to accurately describe your bending Gazza. That was just... :blink:whacked:rock:bow Those wraps were barely a help if at all - not tight, no chalk, no rubber bands. The amount of strength you can impose on such a short bar is to be admired. ;)

Thanks Mate :D

If you think those wraps like that are tough[they are]but the wraps used on the Fantastic Shiny are even more Brutal i will be dusting them off again and see what i can get with them :blink

Gazza I can't believe I missed this bend earlier. This is nuts you are going back to the small wraps. I appreciate your discussion on the ego thing as well.

I was thinking about this as well, seeing all the crazy bends that the guys on here are doing makes me want to bend bigger stuff, but putting on more wraps or chalk or whatever else to get the next bend starts to have a different feel then when I first started. I am not saying it is not legit, it is still strength, but the visceral pain and intensity of a tough IM bend is simply absent in it. It does feed your ego to accomplish something no matter the method, that is the american way. In strength and sports it can go into steroids and crazy assistance equipment but it can go much father than that in other areas of life but it may be going a bit outside of the scope of this discussion to speculate about that.

One of the main things I think we are all in this for is the sense of personal struggle and accomplishment when we focus our mind and push through the pain and the difficult part of a bend and come out the other side knowing it was us and only us that made it happen. The mental aspect is not the same without the pain to me at least. I feel it is a good microcosm and training for the hard parts of life in general. So many people dance around their whole life in order to avoid pain and difficulty, I sometimes try and imagine if everyone could ignore these things and dive confidently into struggles and pain to strive for the more worthy goals awaiting them on the other side what this world could be like. I think this may be the essence of life and so many people only avoid it. I am certainly guilty of it myself and I'm not trying to point fingers, only each individual can make that kind of decision for themselves but it is people like you and things that you do Gazza that make me remember.

TIM

I always like reading your posts you always put alot of yourself into them :cool and you seem to be on a similar wavelength 2 me in regards as 2 how you want to replicate a bend etc and i am glad there are a few that see it the way that i do :rock i appreciate that after all its just another bend of another particular piece of steel but sometimes there is just a little bit more to it than that :D

Incredible! With thin pads, especially as loosly wrapped like that makes the kink vertially impossible with short steel like that. I can't even imagine how an Edgin of that length would feel with thoose wraps.

Absolutly incredible! :rock:rock:rock

amazing bends Gary. I want to add to what Chris said also: the bent nails prizes were a huge success a last year's competition. thanks again.

Well Guys this bending thing was fun whilst it lasted.

Adios Amigos!

???????

Adios Amigos!

does anyone know whats happend ?

that was his last post and last time he's been on the board even ............ about six days ago

Adios Amigos!

does anyone know whats happend ?

that was his last post and last time he's been on the board even ............ about six days ago

Yeah, and his youtube-account gnasher46 has been disabled as well...

Correct if I'm wrong, but hasn't he retired from bending several times before, only to come back stronger and more "limit-less" after a while? Let's hope that'd be the case this time as well :blink

Gazza seems to be very emotional about his bending, and judging from the effort he puts into it, it only seems reasonable that he might need to take a time off to reload his batteries and get the lust back?

Adios Amigos!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!Why!?!?

I hope this isn't the last we'll see of Gazza. Yes, he has kind of gone through the "quitting-returning stronger than ever" phase before so I hope history repeats itself in that regard. I'm glad I was able to save some of his bending videos over the past year but I kick myself for not saving everything. < <

Even if he doesn't come back to bend and push the bar even higher, it would be great to have him back as an active member giving advice to those following in his footsteps. We can only hope...

I hope this isn't the last we'll see of Gazza. Yes, he has kind of gone through the "quitting-returning stronger than ever" phase before so I hope history repeats itself in that regard. I'm glad I was able to save some of his bending videos over the past year but I kick myself for not saving everything. < <

Even if he doesn't come back to bend and push the bar even higher, it would be great to have him back as an active member giving advice to those following in his footsteps. We can only hope...

I agree :)

I'm starting to share your same sentiment, Gazza and Tim. After I took a long break from DO bending around Christmas, I picked up my fat pads and tried a bar.........it didn't feel right. Even though I'm killing alot smaller steel in tiny leathers or bandanas, I actually enjoy it alot more. Like when I first started bending. I like to feel the steel bending under my fingers, and the sting of the bar driving into your hand. I know I'm the last one you thought you'd hear that from, but lo and behold, it's true. :D :D

No Limits Gaz! You've truly helped us to push our limits as well!

Edited by Foxman

I'm starting to share your same sentiment, Gazza and Tim. After I took a long break from DO bending around Christmas, I picked up my fat pads and tried a bar.........it didn't feel right. Even though I'm killing alot smaller steel in tiny leathers or bandanas, I actually enjoy it alot more. Like when I first started bending. I like to feel the steel bending under my fingers, and the sting of the bar driving into your hand. I know I'm the last one you thought you'd hear that from, but lo and behold, it's true. :D :D

No Limits Gaz! You've truly helped us to push our limits as well!

Aaaaah finally...after years of locked threads, insults about cheating and faking, we can perhaps come to a balanced view on this. Wonderful to hear Fox!

I think the "problem" is that people get to obsessed with getting their certs, therefor doing whatever is allowed to get their bends. I'm not critical to the certs, I mean they're great to get people interested and so on, but I suppose we are doing this to get stronger, not to get certificates?

For me, I've chased the red now for a year and will hopefully certify sometimes soon, and I've always thought that, "after the cert, then I will start with heavy leathers etc". But now, when I'm there, I just don't feel that I want to do so yet. The strength I have now, I've conquered with IMPs, which often is cited as a good level of minimal wrapping, why should I add double leathers, get certs on stuff that's heavier when I haven't developed more strength? Only added more padding...

And if anyone wonders, no, I DO NOT THINK IT IS CHEATING TO USE DOUBLE LEATHERS or so. If you bend a shiny with double leathers you are pretty darn strong :)

I think its good to do BOTH - its two different styles of bending - to compare the two would be comparing apples to oranges. I like both and will do both, but like fox, I'm enjoying thinner pads at the moment - I will never bash using doubles, nor would I compare the two, everyone knows, bending a bar in a bandana is alot tougher than in super wraps - if I'm in a comp, I will take every advantage I can and I sure will double them up and get them as tight as I can to give me the edge - if you don't your only hurting yourself, but the vids I will be posting in the near future (besides for the VBC) will probably be in IM wraps, although I may try some of that bandana bending cause Fox turned me onto it - I'll need to go pick-up a bandana though - I got out of my gang a long time ago :laugh

I think its good to do BOTH - its two different styles of bending - to compare the two would be comparing apples to oranges. I like both and will do both, but like fox, I'm enjoying thinner pads at the moment - I will never bash using doubles, nor would I compare the two, everyone knows, bending a bar in a bandana is alot tougher than in super wraps - if I'm in a comp, I will take every advantage I can and I sure will double them up and get them as tight as I can to give me the edge - if you don't your only hurting yourself, but the vids I will be posting in the near future (besides for the VBC) will probably be in IM wraps, although I may try some of that bandana bending cause Fox turned me onto it - I'll need to go pick-up a bandana though - I got out of my gang a long time ago :laugh

Yeah, that was a better way of saying what I meant!

Were you a Crip or a Blood?? :D :D

Nah, seriously, I completely agree with you Paul. I will still bend in fat pads, but that just won't be my main concentration right now. I'm kinda curious how the fat pad bends will go after this 6 week 20 rep squat cycle, as I'm already noticing a good deal of overall increase in all around strength. I think I'm gonna bend a blob. Yeah. That would be sweet! :rock

I think I'm gonna bend a blob. Yeah. That would be sweet! :rock

squeeze it flat, tear it down the middle, then you'll have two to bend :rock

Were you a Crip or a Blood?? :D:D

Nah, seriously, I completely agree with you Paul. I will still bend in fat pads, but that just won't be my main concentration right now. I'm kinda curious how the fat pad bends will go after this 6 week 20 rep squat cycle, as I'm already noticing a good deal of overall increase in all around strength. I think I'm gonna bend a blob. Yeah. That would be sweet! :rock

I think you will murder steel that you've never bent before - as soon as I started doing squats/deadlifts etc.. everything went up for me.

Blob crack made me laugh pretty loud