Ironmind Wraps.

gazza

My gosh! didn't realize you were posting bends in this thread! can't imagine! :bow

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gazza

• Paul Knight

• yodajaeger

• bencrush

i have a some what related question. this is for people who do a lot of bending. do you think you'll ever be able to build up your pain tolerance to bend your max without pads, OR with ironmind pads? i myself have only had one bending session and truthfully it wasn't anything to get excited about, but probably this christmas i will get a bag of nails and ironmind pads, but i like to really challenge myself even if it might be impossible and i like to do things with the bare minimum. for instance, with grippers, about 80% of my training has been done using NS or TNS the rest was negatives (i've been getting into hose clamped gripping lately to try to increase my reps on the 3 though and i like it) and none of it has been done with chalk, neither has any of my thickbar training.

so i just wanted to see what i was getting into before i jump into haha. even if it will take longer, i'm in it for the long haul, i just want to know what you experienced benders think is possible, because toughness is just as important to me as strength.

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

Chris, look at Gazza, bending 4" and 3,5" shiny's with close to no wraps, the KOASB in IM wraps, ...

Training hard and long enough will give you what you deserve.

Just stay focusted and push yourself beyond the limit.

Edited by luuc

Chris, look at Gazza, bending 4" and 3,5" shiny's with close to no wraps, the KOASB in IM wraps, ...

Training hard and long enough will give you what you deserve.

Just stay focusted and push yourself beyond the limit.

excellent! thanks for the answer.

Chris

like ive told you bro with that Frame you have there if you get your mindset as BIG there aint nothing you wont accomplish m8.

I cant speak for the rest of the guys but personally ive done Huge shinys in Reverse and Du styles barehanded but only down to 80-90degrees in a single session but could not finish them on those sessions the PAIN SHUT ME DOWN THAT WAS A FEW MTHS BACK THE NEXT ONE WILL GO ALL THE WAY EVEN IF IT GOES ALL THE WAY THROUGH MY HAND WHILST IM DOING IT :D

Ive done a few moab bars of different stock i know i will never be able to do one of those barehanded but i do see a 3/8inch bar tho in HRS,maybe even 304 stainless dont know about the 303 true KOASB tho if i can get the wrists abit stronger maybe in the reverse style on a very good day maybe even a DU style kink no chance in the DO style tho.

Pat poviliatis Once admired Dennis Rodgers for putting his hand in a fox trap so he Pat then wanted to take it further so his party trick is he puts his hand in a couger trap i would love to go one better and try the next trap up from a couger trap why? because like pat i like to enter into the spirit of certain things a see if i can better the guys around me some might say its being big headed but i dont i just honestly do get off on the pain :D not to the extent were i go into the can and knock one out but seriously doing certain feats that involve pain is a huge adrenaline rush for me.

Does anyone know if those traps are outlawed and if i could import some to the UK mountain lion or bigger for those in the know what would be the next size up would it be a BEAR TRAP or is that to big im pretty ignorant on this stuff but ever since watching PAT.do it on youtube ive wanted to try it :D

Back to the barehanded bending the only real way to get good at it is to continuesly reduce your wrapping whilst bending and also to bend barehanded it takes time its took me 6yrs to reach this standard and i bend alot more frequently to most plus my hands were toughish to start with as i was still a construction worker then.

Start off with 1/8 3/16 or 1/4inch stuff no nails or bolts get the hands used to abit of pain at a time also do some bending in a hankerchief and or paper towels again no nails or bolts save those till later as your pain threshold improves above all take it slow injuries set you back and mean downtime from bending when you could be getting stronger.

Dont think your a wuss if you start with 1/8inch stuff or can only do 1/8inch stuff it takes time be patient would you expect to put a few 100lbs on your benchpress overnight dont expect the same in bending never mind barehanded if its worth doing its worth doing well.

Once youve bent a few pieces and they become easy for you start snapping them barehanded as well now the metal will get hot but you can still do it if your carefull just keep the hot part away from you besides that its a manly hobby so just man it up and go for it tough hands never stopped me from working but i bet girly hands are a real PAIN on a construction sight :D

i have a some what related question. this is for people who do a lot of bending. do you think you'll ever be able to build up your pain tolerance to bend your max without pads, OR with ironmind pads? i myself have only had one bending session and truthfully it wasn't anything to get excited about, but probably this christmas i will get a bag of nails and ironmind pads, but i like to really challenge myself even if it might be impossible and i like to do things with the bare minimum. for instance, with grippers, about 80% of my training has been done using NS or TNS the rest was negatives (i've been getting into hose clamped gripping lately to try to increase my reps on the 3 though and i like it) and none of it has been done with chalk, neither has any of my thickbar training.

so i just wanted to see what i was getting into before i jump into haha. even if it will take longer, i'm in it for the long haul, i just want to know what you experienced benders think is possible, because toughness is just as important to me as strength.

I see your point with using minimal padding, but not with not using chalk.

Chalk really is not to gain an advantage, its to make every lift or gripper close consistant. On thickbar you can pull the same without chalk if your hands are perfectly clean and perfectly dry and the thickbar is the same. Same with grippers. I myself tend to have more sweaty or oily hands than most, so if I dont use chalk, I have to clean my hands and the implement between every attempt. With chalk I dont have to worry about wether it was my strength that stopped me from closing the next gripper, or if it was just sweat in my hands that caused me to slip out of position.

Chris

like ive told you bro with that Frame you have there if you get your mindset as BIG there aint nothing you wont accomplish m8.

I cant speak for the rest of the guys but personally ive done Huge shinys in Reverse and Du styles barehanded but only down to 80-90degrees in a single session but could not finish them on those sessions the PAIN SHUT ME DOWN THAT WAS A FEW MTHS BACK THE NEXT ONE WILL GO ALL THE WAY EVEN IF IT GOES ALL THE WAY THROUGH MY HAND WHILST IM DOING IT :D

Ive done a few moab bars of different stock i know i will never be able to do one of those barehanded but i do see a 3/8inch bar tho in HRS,maybe even 304 stainless dont know about the 303 true KOASB tho if i can get the wrists abit stronger maybe in the reverse style on a very good day maybe even a DU style kink no chance in the DO style tho.

Pat poviliatis Once admired Dennis Rodgers for putting his hand in a fox trap so he Pat then wanted to take it further so his party trick is he puts his hand in a couger trap i would love to go one better and try the next trap up from a couger trap why? because like pat i like to enter into the spirit of certain things a see if i can better the guys around me some might say its being big headed but i dont i just honestly do get off on the pain :D not to the extent were i go into the can and knock one out but seriously doing certain feats that involve pain is a huge adrenaline rush for me.

Does anyone know if those traps are outlawed and if i could import some to the UK mountain lion or bigger for those in the know what would be the next size up would it be a BEAR TRAP or is that to big im pretty ignorant on this stuff but ever since watching PAT.do it on youtube ive wanted to try it :D

Back to the barehanded bending the only real way to get good at it is to continuesly reduce your wrapping whilst bending and also to bend barehanded it takes time its took me 6yrs to reach this standard and i bend alot more frequently to most plus my hands were toughish to start with as i was still a construction worker then.

Start off with 1/8 3/16 or 1/4inch stuff no nails or bolts get the hands used to abit of pain at a time also do some bending in a hankerchief and or paper towels again no nails or bolts save those till later as your pain threshold improves above all take it slow injuries set you back and mean downtime from bending when you could be getting stronger.

Dont think your a wuss if you start with 1/8inch stuff or can only do 1/8inch stuff it takes time be patient would you expect to put a few 100lbs on your benchpress overnight dont expect the same in bending never mind barehanded if its worth doing its worth doing well.

Once youve bent a few pieces and they become easy for you start snapping them barehanded as well now the metal will get hot but you can still do it if your carefull just keep the hot part away from you besides that its a manly hobby so just man it up and go for it tough hands never stopped me from working but i bet girly hands are a real PAIN on a construction sight :D

Here is a link to check out some dif traps. A little advice, stay away from the bear traps if you like your fingers haha. I wouldnt stick my hand in a mouse trap haha.

forgot link, check out the MB brand, they look like good ones.

http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/categories.asp?cat=16

Edited by cemery

I see your point with using minimal padding, but not with not using chalk.

Chalk really is not to gain an advantage, its to make every lift or gripper close consistant. On thickbar you can pull the same without chalk if your hands are perfectly clean and perfectly dry and the thickbar is the same. Same with grippers. I myself tend to have more sweaty or oily hands than most, so if I dont use chalk, I have to clean my hands and the implement between every attempt. With chalk I dont have to worry about wether it was my strength that stopped me from closing the next gripper, or if it was just sweat in my hands that caused me to slip out of position.

i know what you mean, but usually all i have to do is wash my hands and i should be good to go. besides, i usually get a little rust or dirt on my hands when i lift so it's not that bad.

and gazza, thank you very much for that very insightful post, i will try to follow your directions to the t.

• 2 weeks later...

My fellow benders :D

Recently i have been wrestling with my inner deamons ive done this on and off for along time now but recently its became more of an issue with me ;)

Somebody on here once mentioned an equipped and none equiped bending section for a comp i think that was in JEST :D but thinking about it all more recently has me looking at myself more and more.

I came into bending useing only a piece of canvass or denim this was when people were useing rolled up towels/dishclothes i was useing a single piece of canvass or denim both these pieces were 1/2inch when rolled around a 60d.

When the bending rules were ammended and it was changed to useing 2 pieces of cloth rather than a single piece this is when everyone switched to leathers again i was useing 1/2inch leathers when rolled around a 60d these are brutal more painfull than ironmind wraps but they were more confortable than the canvass or denim i was useing beforehand.When i used to bend with my friend Maxwell[maximus1 on here] i made him use these same small leathers pads from the start and he made reference to these same pads to me in a phone txt the other day.

I still have a few pairs of these leather wraps in my shed somewhere which i will now be digging out they are very similar to the 5 x 5 pads i use in the Fantastic Shiny Bastard bend video infact slightly harsher :blink you see from that admission i am guilty of looking for the easy way out by gravitateing to more padding is better :blush

Ive always prided myself on being able to replicate a bend ive done useing ironmind wraps or those 5 x 5 pads but as time has gone on the gap has started to widen ALOT :blush which does not sit easy with me i set myself high standards in bending and lately ive been failing to meet them alot of them :angry:

These last couple of years ive spoken more with my FATHER than i ever did whilst he was alive :blush Meaningfull conversations i mean not just general stuff i have quite a few conversations of late in my dreams with my dad and its as clear as if i had just visited him and my mum as i did when i was younger.This came back to me in a dream last night and a talk with my dad i was once deadlifting out in the back at my parents house when i was younger i was struggling to deadlift the magic 500 i had gotten 495 for a couple but could not get the 500 anyway i had done about 3 attempts with 495 and gotten them quite easy with a good rest inbetween and i was just about to load up for the 500 when the door bell went and me mum called me a friend had called so i went inside made us both a cup of tea and came back outside my dad says to my mate/friend garys just trying to show us how to lift this but cant do it yet my mate laughed so i graps the bar and it comes up easyer than previous attempts i stand there with it locked out and smirk at them both then put it down my dad then says check the bar unbeknowns to me whilst i was in the house he had slipped a 5lbs plate on each end makeing it 505lbs in all ;) so i did actually have the strength to go over 500 it was the MIND that was lacking my dad just said to me "FEED THE EGO SON AND YOU FEED THE MAN" i said what do you mean you will see son he said i often wondered what he meant last night in a dream it all came back to me i guesse ive been feeding the EGO for along long time now doing bends that i cant really match with ironmind wraps or 5 x5 leathers so i guesse ive been feeding my EGO :blush

Ive kept all my best bend stuff except for a few 1 offs i sent to David[the swiss] 4 his comp recently i Sent some other stuff across the pond now i left this to the last minute just plain forgot and got side tracked so had to sort it out and despatch it last minute and whilst i was doing that i was going through stuff and alot of stuff meant more to me than other stuff example the maniacal shiny the shortest shiny ive ever gotten but i used a med to long set of leathers doubled over cant remember now i was in the zone at the time of the bend but hardly ironmind or 5 x 5 pad bending handling this bend and other bent stuff the other day before i sent it off just didnt feel the same as handling the Fantastic Shiny i bent in those 5 x 5 wraps the mind connection just didnt feel the same when i was handling them i guesse its all to do with me haveing to work that much harder to get that Fantastic Shiny in those 5 x 5 pads and again EGO that Fantastic bend was not about EGO it was Hate,rage,anger my whole body and mind went into that bend alot of the other stuff EGO had definately taken over :blush

I have put alot of stuff up on youtube over the past couple of years but looking at it now the only thing worthy is the Fantastic Shiny Bend so i will shortly be takeing the other stuff down as i feel those bends are not a true reflection of me and more importantly how i want to bend and again more importantly how i want to be seen as a bender.

I will taking steps to correct how i bend i will no longer bend in anything thats over 1/2 inch when rolled around a 60d basically useing the stuff i first started out with very thin leathers or ironmind wraps no chalk no elastic bands it will be a new journey back into the unknown to see if i can ignite what i once had a true bond with the steel.

Age is only a mental barrier in my eyes another hurdle to overcome look at Slim,the Atom,Chris Rice,Booyah etc all 50 or over all Elite or World class there are no excuses and "NO LIMITS" just the mind wanting to be weak but that will be addressed :D

Regards....................................Gazza...[A once decent bender].....................................

Nobody doubts you Gazza, I think I can safely say you are the best.

I admit your fantastic shiny has been your greatest bend so far.

I'm sure you'll get into the zone again soon, I'll be waiting for it!!

:bow

Nobody doubts you Gazza, I think I can safely say you are the best.

I admit your fantastic shiny has been your greatest bend so far.

I'm sure you'll get into the zone again soon, I'll be waiting for it!!

:bow

Its not about Doubt mate ive been there done that its being happy in myself and my bending has been lacking that for a good while now.

I know in my own mind that i will never be happy unless i replicate certain bends with ironmind or very small leathers and until i do then i will keep on trying to me its like the equipped benchers etc the equipment does help its the same with bending and im not knocking others bending i am just not happy with my ego bends im gong back to my roots is all.

I can't wait to see where this leads you, Gazza. That was deep. Good luck getting the MOASB in IMP. I'm sure you will get it in no time. No limits, Gazza. :mellow

I am greatful that you not only show your bends and share your bending knowledge.....but explain your philosophy on the subject also. We are lucky to not only witness history being made but to have the opportunity to hear the spiritual side of it from the man himself. I am honored to able to witness and interact.

Gotta go...my ego is HUNGRY ;)

Edited by AFreeland

• 4 weeks later...

Abit to slow and the vids shit :angry:

I did a 4.5er about 30mins before this and killed it under 5mins this one just syked me out abit :angry: 1st the calipers ran outa battery power then the bolt cutters would not cut the threads off properly unless they were fully in the jaws then i realised when i had my back to the camera takeing the lwhite label off the bolt i realised i didnt have the bolt in view at all times but decided to go for it anyways and put it up :angry:

I will go for another one in a few days/week and try and get a bigger Reverse kink on it this time that will give me a faster start :D

Can you see how sharp the bend is compared to a 7incher they dont like to bend this short you really have to crank them over your fingers it hurts but its gotta be done :D

Maybe not the right thread but I once again want to thank Gary for the bent stuff he sent me for Gripmas this year. Some of the stuff is just nuts - heck - all of it was nuts! If you guys who won some of it haven't yet - be sure and send him a big thank you. I enjoy anything as a prize at a contest but for me at least - these little pieces of bent steel done by some of the best guys in the world today represent the history of our sport in these early years. The generosity of guys like Pat, Eric (last year) and Chris Rider and Gary this year makes for some outstanding mementos of Grip and Mental strength. Thank you!

I gave up looking for words to describe your bending a long time ago Gaz. Simply amazing.

Im at school and I cant see the vids. What did he bend?!!!!!!

You don't wanna know :blink

(hint: it's 4" and has Clay's last name)

Maybe not the right thread but I once again want to thank Gary for the bent stuff he sent me for Gripmas this year. Some of the stuff is just nuts - heck - all of it was nuts! If you guys who won some of it haven't yet - be sure and send him a big thank you. I enjoy anything as a prize at a contest but for me at least - these little pieces of bent steel done by some of the best guys in the world today represent the history of our sport in these early years. The generosity of guys like Pat, Eric (last year) and Chris Rider and Gary this year makes for some outstanding mementos of Grip and Mental strength. Thank you!

Thanks Chris

When i 1st came on this forum it was alot of Americans that 1st helped me out people like Pat,Steve Weiner and big Steve etc later on it was Eric,Ben,Brendan,Tim T,Tim I etc i was also helped out by my fellow Europeans Franky and David the Swiss i returned the compliment to David as best i could by providing him with some stuff for one of his comps i have now done the same for you as i know that alot of people attend your comps Chris so i tried to help you out as best i could and in return give back to the forum like its given to me in the past.

Again i was fortunate enough to get help in the beginning from some of my fellow Brits Steve Gardener[Mobster] and David Horne etc in return i attended comps and donated prizes so again ive paid my dues.

I have a wife and 3 kids and sometimes the job situation has not been easy lack of money and time have stopped me doing alot of things but ive helped out when i could its not much but it makes me feel part of it all.