Ironmind Wraps.

gazza

What is the Shortest and/or thickest bend you have done or tried in Ironmind wraps and what is the Shortest or thickest bar you would be prepared to try?

Also do you think that a bend done useing the ironmind wraps even if its not being done for the ironmind cert and is useing other stock as well say fbbc stuff etc should the bend still be done within the 1 minute mark to stay true to the tradition of those wrapsalso do you think chalk and elastic bands should be used with those wraps just curious?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gazza

• Paul Knight

• yodajaeger

• bencrush

What is the Shortest and/or thickest bend you have done or tried in Ironmind wraps and what is the Shortest or thickest bar you would be prepared to try?

Also do you think that a bend done useing the ironmind wraps even if its not being done for the ironmind cert and is useing other stock as well say fbbc stuff etc should the bend still be done within the 1 minute mark to stay true to the tradition of those wrapsalso do you think chalk and elastic bands should be used with those wraps just curious?

I'll bite. :) Shortest bend is the Insane a few times. Thickest is a Grand Golden and a 3/8"X6" G2 (307A-CYI). Hardest was probably the Grand Hex.

Did a Grand in Ironmind pads nearly half a dozen times with my old DU style. The more "traditional" hands very close or touching in the middle style.

I have never reverse bent a Bastard in Ironmind pads though. I always needed more padding for that. My best in Ironmind pads was a 1/4"X7" Square ONCE and it nearly broke my thumb. I never attempted anything really hard after that. And I didn't have the opportunity since I tweaked my forearm so badly that it took over half a year to recover almost completely.

I don't care about the 1 minute time limit when I'm just bending for fun. The 2 minute GB time limit is one that I sometimes stick with. But I like the 5 minute FBBC time limit best. My favorite time limit lately is none whatsoever. Infinite time limit. As long as it takes to get whatever I want to bend finished off.

I use chalk and rubber bands when doing hard bends in the Ironmind pads.

The Ironmind pads are about 12" long fresh out of the package. I've cut a bunch of pairs down to various lengths to help with some of my other bending stuff. I bent a Shiny, with a lot of pain, in a set of 8" long Ironmind pads on Saturday. Didn't make it to John Sandy's house due to his injury. So I did some bending in my cold garage.

If I ever decided to certify on the Red--which I won't, because it's not much of a challenge anymore--I wouldn't use chalk or rubber bands though. I also wouldn't use a clamp or a heavy weight to help me wrap tighter. That would probably be frowned upon by Strossen as well. But wait a few months and that might change.

Edit: Forgot to answer the last part of your question about what is the shortest or thickest bar I'd be prepared to try. The single word answer is: none.

I've never laid hands on Ironmind wraps though I've seen plenty. The first pads I ever used were a set of extremely dense and thin leather pads from FBBC. They were awesome and I worked up to a tough 1/4x7" sq. kink in those before switching to doubles. A few months ago I did 1/4x7" sq in droves in those pads and they were easy. I couldn't kink a 515 or 480 bastard in them though as my fingers were split. I can garauntee you that my leathers, having over 1" cut off of them now, are at least as pitiful as IM wraps. What would I be willing to attempt in them or IM wraps? A RED, provided the RED is sub-480.

Then again, I do have some Grand bastards from the 420 batch... I'll get back to you all soon :devil

Ah well, I just got a good wobble.

first time I tried anything other than a red in imps was the other night (except smaller stuff before my cert) so my best finish is the shiny which felt easy - I know I could get at least a big shiny if not a huge in imps and I guess my best kink in imps was the 5/16 stainless square @ 7", but I haven't been able to finish that in leather even - still workin on my crush. What am I willing to try in imps? - my immediate goal in imps would be to bend one of these 11/32 bars that Chad sent me (drillrod), thad be cool for now (I've finished a couple in leather) - but I'd be willing to keep going w/the idea to see where it would take me. The only prob I have right now with IM pads is the recovery time - I know the more I do it, the recovery time would get shorter and shorter - but at this point I have alot of other grip goals that would have to be put on the back burner as a result. I think after I become MM5, I will start hitting some bending with IM pads pretty hard (I expect to have my MM5 before Feb of 09)

I don't mind not using rubber bands at all, but it seems like if I try without chalk I don't do very well - not sure where you are going w/this, but if it were up to me - I would allow chalk cause I have greasy hand disease :laugh I have no prob with shortening the time limit either, but 1 min might be a little short for the bars that are hard to crush - 2 mins sounds good to me - normally if I can't get it in 2 than I can't finish it at all :rolleyes

Toughest complete bend in IM pads is a 6" grade 8 which was the other day. Also a kinked red which was tonight.

Honestly I don't like the IM pads and feel like I have a better chance of injury in them. I prefer leather but my wraps are not big. My favorite wraps are 4 x15 and I dont use double pads. I feel that is enough to stop myself from being injured.

I dont want this to sound like I am knocking thick pads, I am for bending anyway you can, I just cant bend in bigger pads. Ive tried it and I was worse.

Edited by Strongmantobe

Hardest bar was a 7" 5/16 grade 5 bolt in IMP with no chalk, but i did have a rubber band on one side

Shortest hard bar is a 6" shiny, but i failed to get a crush under 2", i think it was around 2.5 from leg to leg

I have done 3/8X7" gr2's but i consider them easier then an Edgin. The kink can sometimes be a kick in the pants, but the crush is a joke with them.

Best in a single IM pad is Grade 8's DU, Gr8 reverse and Gr8 Slim style. I do not use the DO when the padding gets that lite because the injury factor is too high vs reward and i need to my hands to get my pay days. I have replicated all of these bends with Paper towels as well.

IMO the 1 minute rule was a random number picked just to try and limit the # of people certing with the Red. It is a fine rule i guess for IM, considering 90% of the certing folks bend their red nail in under 20 seconds. Big John would be the one to say what goes and does not go for his company.

The best bend I've done in IM pads is a 5" g5 DU. I hope to bend a red or better in the future.

Kevin you will, i have no doubts!

I like the 1 minute time limit. But for me if I can't bend it in 1 minute then I can't bend it. If the kink goes it won't stop me. If I can kink something there is no way I would stop until it is dead. That never takes much longer than 45 seconds. I also don't understand why no bands is part of the IM rule. It really doesn't aid that much, it just makes the wrapping easier.

A bend I'm willing to share is some 5/16" CRS in various lengths in them. I have done a lot of different stuff in them and much more difficult but nothing I really care to make public. Just some personal training bends :).

I love seeing the more traditional stuff coming back! :rock

Edited by justiceislost1988

Thankyou

All for your input :D I do think that Ironmind wraps still give the wow factor slap a pair of those on a piece of steel and you know its gonna be a tough painfull bend :D

Maybe oneday Randy might deside to start reduceing the length of the ironmind wraps Hell he might even introduce a barehanded ironmind Red nail bend :rolleyes

Paul glad to see your gonna take it up a notch with the ironmind wraps after your MM5 cert i look forward to seeing you destroy some big steel in those wraps especially after enjoying seeing your last bending session with them.

Ben everybody here knows how great a bender you are regardless of the wraps used you can bend big stuff in any type of wraps a man after my own heart but i feel that if you bent even more in ironmind wraps maybe exclusively for the next 6-12mths you would not have as many shoulder problems as you know it takes more wrist and pain tolerance with the ironmind wraps hell i dont need to tell you anything about bending you know more than most but useing just the Ironmind wraps or 1/2inch leathers you will be forced to reduce your bends because of pain and will have to use more wrist and fingers which will help the shoulders out.

Anyway guys i plan on hitting the steel in a mo with the small wraps and ironmind wraps see ya soon :D

Before I certed on the Red, I trained with 6.5" Bastards, did a lot of them. Not sure if I ever did anything tougher.

This has been a really neat thread. Getting to see what everyone has done in the Ironmind pads is pretty interesting. I forgot to mention that I also did a 4" G5 DU in Ironmind pads on Saturday. It was a TY and is definitely one of the easier G5s. That bend hurt my pinkies more than they've hurt in a long time.

I started out useing IM Wraps with the reverse style.

I have done all of my Gripboard Certs in IM Wraps except the reverse bends :)

Here are some more http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/FREESTYLEbending.html

I also like to use chalk and bands for My Bending

I like all of the time limits we have

1 min for Iron Mind

1 min for David Horne's IM Wrap List

2 Min GripBoard Cert

5 Min FatBastardBarbellCo

5 Min The Nail Man's GripBoard Lists

My toughest and thickest bend was the Golden Bastard I just did this past Saturday. It was pretty quick, so I think I'm good for more. I did use rubber bands and chalk. For shorter stuff, I did my GB certs on the 5" G5 and 6" G8 in IM wraps several months ago. I've bent 60d's DU and reverse in IM pads, but nothing harder in those styles.

One of the most incredible things I have ever seen. Can we make Ostlund style it's own unique thing? I think it deserves it with the big bends being done like that. :blink

One of the most incredible things I have ever seen. Can we make Ostlund style it's own unique thing? I think it deserves it with the big bends being done like that. :blink

Ermmm dont confuse this bend with Daves mines nowhere near as strict as his :blush

Epic bend Gaz. :blink :blink LOVED the crazy DU kink!! :rock