• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lone Wolf

• Hubgeezer

• FatBoy

• bencrush

Hey Robert, what was the date on the contest? More then likely i will miss this one but i hope you have another one sometime.

It is this Saturday, July 11.

I am not Robert,

Mike

Robert, a couple of things...

What time Saturday the 11th you plan on starting?

I have a former employee who now lives in Irvine, an hour from your place. I was thinking of picking him up in the morning and bringing him to the contest. Jackie knows a little bit about grip, has a few grippers, has a laptop, and is interested, if you want, to help with score-keeping. He is a CPA and was one of the fastest learners/efficient etc people we ever had. If you think he could help, I can firm that up. Let me know.

I will probably stay 2 hours North of Irvine, get up at 6 am, and head South Saturday morning.

Mike

I plan on starting at 10;00 am but you can get get here any time after 8:00 am I"ll be up getting things ready

Hey you guys how have ya been? ...sorry wrong question, im sure you have all been gripping shit... Unfortunately I havnt, im not going to chicken out, im still plannin on coming out but its not goint to be the same adam that you guys remember. Ive been training for the lapd/sheriffs so gripping hasnt exactly been on the to-do list... Some good news though i might be in a different weight class ive lost almost 40lbs :)

Weight Classes? Ha ha ha ha! We don't need no stinking Weight Classes!

Yeah that a good one Mike :laugh Adam it's going to be an open class . But we could make Bill

weigth in though that's always worth a few good laughs

Bill is also lost some weight I'm down 265lbs from 287lbs( in 4weeks) and like Adam have mot touched and grip stuff sence easter weekend when I injuired my thumb. But Ill bee there.

So Adam is backing out to go play with his rod, I think he got scared! :D

Well were 4 days out from the contest and it looks like it will only be 4 of us competing, unless Robert has some other confirmations. I feel bad that Robert put in all this work and he is not getting a very big turnout. But you can still count on me to be there. I quite sure that will all have great time and good luck to everyone.

Well were 4 days out from the contest and it looks like it will only be 4 of us competing, unless Robert has some other confirmations. I feel bad that Robert put in all this work and he is not getting a very big turnout. But you can still count on me to be there. I quite sure that will all have great time and good luck to everyone.

I have a hard time believing that there will only be four of us there. It seems like there were guys saying they were in months ago. Robert has put in a tremendous amount of work and planning on this. It may be one of these things that we won't know until we get there.

I have a hard time believing that there will only be four of us there. It seems like there were guys saying they were in months ago. Robert has put in a tremendous amount of work and planning on this. It may be one of these things that we won't know until we get there.

That's the way it goes somtimes up until about a month ago there was about eight guys coming

and then there was four SteveB. just recently got hurt so I don't think he will be coming. Rick

(aka urbandruid ) hasn't got back with wether he coming or not? there also one other guy Marty

( aka deadgame1 ) not sure if he's coming too . We'll just have wait and see what happens

One more time here's my address

Robert Alva

6861 Del Rosa Drive

San Bernardino, CA. , 92404

Starts @ 10:00 am but you can get here anytime after 8:00 am

Wish I could make it out guys! Have fun and no injuries!

- Aaron

I PM'd Ronnie Castro and Odd Haugen. With Odd, I told him the only incentive he had would be to reclaim the Grip Contest DO Axle DL record. I mentioned this contest to both Ronnie and his friend Mitch at the Fit Expo in January. Mitch participated in the November 2006 Meskew contest.

No word from either. I emailed Haugen just now. Was shamelessly bloviating that the only way he could get the Grip Contest Axle Record was by going to this contest. :laugh

Robert, you have an Axle, right? Seems like Steve B was going to lend you his, but I thought I would ask...

Robert, you have an Axle, right? Seems like Steve B was going to lend you his, but I thought I would ask...

I don't have an IM axle, but I do have a 2" bar with clamps. I believe it weighs about 22lbs. If we need it for the contest I will bring it along with the calibrated grippers and the IM hub that I promised to bring.

I hope we all have a good time and want to thank Robert and his Wife for letting us into their home and for all the work that they have put into this contest. Even if it is just the four of us we will have a great time, and some good stories to tell.

Robert let me know if you want me to bring the 2" axle replica.

good luck to all, i will see you Saturday.

Edited by FatBoy

I PM'd Ronnie Castro and Odd Haugen. With Odd, I told him the only incentive he had would be to reclaim the Grip Contest DO Axle DL record. I mentioned this contest to both Ronnie and his friend Mitch at the Fit Expo in January. Mitch participated in the November 2006 Meskew contest.

No word from either. I emailed Haugen just now. Was shamelessly bloviating that the only way he could get the Grip Contest Axle Record was by going to this contest. :laugh

Odd responded, said he had been out of the country the last two weekends and couldn't make it. Seemed to appreciate the offer/challenge.

I don't have an IM axle, but I do have a 2" bar with clamps. I believe it weighs about 22lbs. If we need it for the contest I will bring it along with the calibrated grippers and the IM hub that I promised to bring.

I hope we all have a good time and want to thank Robert and his Wife for letting us into their home and for all the work that they have put into this contest. Even if it is just the four of us we will have a great time, and some good stories to tell.

Robert let me know if you want me to bring the 2" axle replica.

good luck to all, i will see you Saturday.

That would be great Bill if you could your 2" bar and clamps

By the way Fri. I have the day off so if anyone coming from out of town

and you want to stop by I'll be here

Not a problem consider it done.

Quick report on todays contest.

1st place Hubgeezer

2nd place Fatboy

3rd place Lonewolf

4th palce Jonh Ship

I will give a nice write up when I have some more time.

Thanks again

Robert

My name is Jackie Lee and I happened to be a score keeper for today's event. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed contestants' great performance. '

Robert, thank you for your great setup. Everyone, good performance.

Here is today's result.

Robert Alva Mike Corlett Bill McCaslin Shipp Ling

Grippers (lb) 123.00 154.24 147.00 123.00

V-Bar Lift (lb) 215.02 310.24 237.64 220.14

Hub Lift (lb) 61.48 66.44 62.79 45.25

Two Hand Pinch (lb)160.00 165.00 137.50 130.00

Axle Deadlift (lb) 253.50 318.50 261.00 233.50

Medley (Points) 20 20 21 15

Wrist Roller (Sec) 7.93 11.28 9.31 13.47

Score 18 10 14 26

Rank 3 1 2 4

Edited by TG ROK

My name is Jackie Lee and I happened to be a score keeper for today's event. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed contestants' great performance. '

Here is today's result.

Grippers (lb)

Robert Alva - 123.00

Mike Corlett -154.24

Bill McCaslin -147.00

John Shipp Ling - 123.00

Vertical Bar Lift (lb)

Robert Alva - 215.02

Mike Corlett - 310.24

Bill McCaslin - 237.64

John Shipp Ling - 220.14

Hub Lift (lb)

Robert Alva - 61.48

Mike Corlett - 66.44

Bill McCaslin - 62.79

John Shipp Ling - 45.25

Two Hand Pinch (lb)

Robert Alva - 160.00

Mike Corlett - 165.00

Bill McCaslin - 137.50

John Shipp Ling - 130.00

Axle Deadlift (lb)

Robert Alva - 253.50

Mike Corlett - 318.50

Bill McCaslin - 261.00

John Shipp Ling - 233.50

Medley(Point)

Robert Alva - 20

Mike Corlett - 20

Bill McCaslin - 21

John Shipp Ling - 15

Wrist Roller(Second)

Robert Alva - 7.93

Mike Corlett - 11.28

Bill McCaslin - 9.31

John Shipp Ling - 13.47

Final Score

Robert Alva - 18

Mike Corlett - 10

Bill McCaslin - 14

John Shipp Ling - 26

Final Rank

Robert Alva - 3

Mike Corlett - 1

Bill McCaslin - 2

John Shipp Ling - 4

Thank you.

Congrats guys! Way to go Hubgeezer! :rock

Congrats to all - it seems to be a very tough year for grip - not many people showing for for any contests it seems. Nice job Robert in putting it all together.

Here is today's result.

Grippers (lb)

Robert Alva - 123.00

Mike Corlett -154.24

Bill McCaslin -147.00

John Shipp Ling - 123.00

Vertical Bar Lift (lb)

Robert Alva - 215.02

Mike Corlett - 310.24

Bill McCaslin - 237.64

John Shipp Ling - 220.14

Hub Lift (lb)

Robert Alva - 61.48

Mike Corlett - 66.44

Bill McCaslin - 62.79

John Shipp Ling - 45.25

Two Hand Pinch (lb)

Robert Alva - 160.00

Mike Corlett - 165.00

Bill McCaslin - 137.50

John Shipp Ling - 130.00

Axle Deadlift (lb)

Robert Alva - 253.50

Mike Corlett - 318.50

Bill McCaslin - 261.00

John Shipp Ling - 233.50

Medley(Point)

Robert Alva - 20

Mike Corlett - 20

Bill McCaslin - 21

John Shipp Ling - 15

Wrist Roller(Second)

Robert Alva - 7.93

Mike Corlett - 11.28

Bill McCaslin - 9.31

John Shipp Ling - 13.47

Final Score

Robert Alva - 18

Mike Corlett - 10

Bill McCaslin - 14

John Shipp Ling - 26

Final Rank

Robert Alva - 3

Mike Corlett - 1

Bill McCaslin - 2

John Shipp Ling - 4

Outstanding stuff...too bad only 4 competitors. Rick who trains @ The Palace said he was coming to this event; not sure if he's hurt or what...I was gonna come help out but had a dental appointment (still hurting) yesterday. Anyone up for a contest @ The Palace around December? And Robert, thanx for stepping up to the plate and running the contest, good to see another grip strength promoter in SoCal. obtw- if you guys need to borrow any equipment for future contests feel free to ask me, you're welcome to pick it up and return it

Kevin Meskew

www.powerpalace.net

Outstanding stuff...too bad only 4 competitors. Rick who trains @ The Palace said he was coming to this event; not sure if he's hurt or what...I was gonna come help out but had a dental appointment (still hurting) yesterday. Anyone up for a contest @ The Palace around December? And Robert, thanx for stepping up to the plate and running the contest, good to see another grip strength promoter in SoCal. obtw- if you guys need to borrow any equipment for future contests feel free to ask me, you're welcome to pick it up and return it

Kevin Meskew

www.powerpalace.net

Dec. sound good to me for a comp. but it may be hard to get a good turn out with christmas. But I'm game.

Thanks again to Robert and his Wife for having us and Thanks to Jackie Lee for the great score keeping.

Hub your the man he domimnated the contest, your a stud. Robert and Ship are still making steady gain and impoving with every meet. Infact I was fighting them off all day, one event it would be Robet giving me a run for the money then the next event it was Ship's turn to have a go.

Gripzilla showed up about the middle of the day, claimed his back was hurt, but then proceded to lift everything in sight. No joking hurt or no Gripzilla is strong. If I belive he lifted 45lbs hubs one in each hand at the same time and pulled of some other gripboard certs.

Ship has made some great increases in his grip strenght and is just one cool guy to hang out with. Everytime he was lifting heavy the vains on his forhead would stick out like the vains Ronnie Colmans byceps. It really looked intimadating, I want vains like that in bald head when I grow up.

Robert is scary strong with his pinch grip. His grage gym is a grip guys dream come true, so many cool thing to play with it was hard to get us all to stop play around so we could start the meet. Roberts with is a wonderfull sheiff and a joy to be around. She was always incuraging us all on, or to not give up. I cant thank the two of you enough.

As for Hubgezzer what can I say that wont take me all day to type. Mike was at my very first grip meet, Kicked my ass all over the place(

Sorry I'm having computer problems and for all the miss spelled words in the last post.

Lets see were was I, ahh yes Mike the man. He still kicks my ass all over the place (witch he dose gracefully and I never mind it) He has tough me so much about grip and what true sportsmanship is all about. Every time I'm around Mike I walk away with a new goal for myself (last time it was to stop cussing when I missed an attempt and just simple walk away and regroup for my next lift). This time I set a goal for myself to be more like Mike a very well rounded grip competitor with no week spots in his game and to keep making gains at any age. Mike truly has no weak spots in his game I've been looking for one for years.

Thanks to everyone that was there yesterday, I had a great time.

Edited by FatBoy