Best Raw Squat Or Deadlift

ScottW

some of these lifts are a little unbelievable but not going to go into what I think.

Shizen, as Chad and Nick have already said, if you knew who Aaron was/is, you wouldn't question the #'s.

Idk I an question it since he claims nearly a 2300 RAW total thats 100lbs less then bill kazmiers total with single ply suit and he was like 350lbs and he was a big juicer. Also his college level was roughly 200feet hammer thrower, ive seen a junior college guy hit that distance and he was only high 400lb squatter. Again I do not want to derail, its just my beliefs.

200 in JuCo would be exceptional and I would be very surprised to see anyone throw that at that strength without world class technique. One of my teammates in college had just broke the JuCo national record before he came over to UofA and I think he went 210ish at that time. He was a 600ish squatter. I went over 65meters in college and 220ish shortly after. I didnt have terribly great technique though. Regardless I could really care less what you think as I know I did what I did.

- Aaron

His name was K.P. Singh hit 201 there is close to a 200feet hammer thrower every year over here in california at junior college level. Those were his reps I believe max with belt 500something oly style.

thats the throw also. He was a mid 170 discus thrower also. If means anything he was tall.

I mean noah bryant was a 600lb squatter and he threw shot over 20meters and hammer 66meters as senior. He was also well known for being a 'strength freak' and holds some lifting records I believe at usc.

Thats fine again I didn't really want to start anything anyways, I have actually seen the king of strength you have in grip and know your very strong.

No problem, I didnt take it as an insult anyway despite what my tone may have seemed like. I know the numbers my numbers were sick high which is why I laid out my progression stuff. Hell I started lifting at like 12 when I was growing up in Texas, it wasnt overnight. Besides, I can certainly appreciate scepticism.

On a side note some on the board have tried some of my old training principles that I came up with at the end of my training time with good success. Wes being one of them.

Aaron

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Natural

• shizen

• MalachiMcMullen

• Magnus

Long time ago before I blew the L5/S1 disc I had some decent lifts. My focus was throwing so the last actual PL comp I did was when I was 16 and barely squeezing into the 198 class. I never really did the Deadlift much until after college. Mostly explosive olympic lifts and the same kinds of assistance stuff you would use for the DL though. Lots of heavy back and core work for the hammer throw. Focus was absolutely Brutal explosive power.

so PL comp at 16 in 1990(City of Phx) Squat was 485 with belt and knee wraps

Power clean (for some reason they did PC instead of DL ) 335#

later gym lifts:

91' bw 220

Squat 505 belt and knee wraps

Power clean 385

92' Plyos and technique work only

93' bw 235

squat 545 belt and knee wraps

snatch 220 belt

clean and Jerk 395 belt

94' bw 245

squat 595 belt and knee wraps

snatch 255 belt

clean and jerk 425 belt

95' bw 255

squat 685 belt and knee wraps

snatch 285 belt

clean and jerk 445 belt

96' bw 265

squat 750 belt and knee wraps

snatch 305 belt

clean and jerk 465 belt

DL 760 belt

97' bw 308

squat 850 belt and wraps

DL 865 belt

These are what I remember,

Aaron

You could clean 335# at 16 :blink When Eaton and I talk about who does what in grip the conversations about you generally start with "..but Aaron's a thoroughbred" and your poundages are just a nice reminder of this. :D

Thanks Josh, I did 245 clean as a freshman in HS my first year doing them. school record was 265 at the time by a guy who later went into the NFL. Also benched 305 at 190 as a freshman in HS. Sometimes I look back and wonder what I could have done with some decent coaching and if I had not injured my back after college.

- Aaron

Just wrong! Devin West, who you may or may not remember, was an All-American tailback at University of MO Columbia aka Mizzou, in the late 90's. He would have gone to the NFL with ease but he couldn't pass the physical due to previous ankle injury. He was good enough that he had one of those insurance policies where if he didn't get to play in the NFL due to injury he got a nice chunk of change. He had the record at our High School with 256# which I later broke. 245 as a freshman is just ridiculous.

I wondered how long it would be before Aaron came along with his "trump" lifts. I questioned them the first time I heard them and no amount of "Word is Bond" rubbish should convince anyone to believe them now, not without somewhat better evidence at any rate.

Just wrong! Devin West, who you may or may not remember, was an All-American tailback at University of MO Columbia aka Mizzou, in the late 90's. He would have gone to the NFL with ease but he couldn't pass the physical due to previous ankle injury. He was good enough that he had one of those insurance policies where if he didn't get to play in the NFL due to injury he got a nice chunk of change. He had the record at our High School with 256# which I later broke. 245 as a freshman is just ridiculous.

Aaron's other lifts are the ones that are harder to believe. I am not sure why this one is drawing a lot of attention. There were several kids at my HS who could clean that much freshman year, so this is very believable and should not draw a lot of scepticism. Aaron's benching and DLing is what impresses me the most (550 and 865).

-Rex

in 1991 when PL'ing at bwt of 235

belt only DL: 590 (did this on two occasions - could never get 600 though despite a few attempts over a year or so)

belt and wraps only squat: 485

DL now (at 180lb bodyweight) is only about 360ish

Aaron's other lifts are the ones that are harder to believe. I am not sure why this one is drawing a lot of attention. There were several kids at my HS who could clean that much freshman year, so this is very believable and should not draw a lot of scepticism. Aaron's benching and DLing is what impresses me the most (550 and 865).

-Rex

1. I'm not skeptic, just impressed.

2. We've both given two examples NFL calibur guys that were almost eclipsed by Aaron's freshmen lifts.

3. I am skeptic that several kids at your HS could do that much as a freshman. My guess would be you're confusing squat clean with power clean.

Finally someone not asking whadda ya bench - priceless

Amen.

500 Dead - belt, chalk

500 Squat - belt, knee wraps

3. I am skeptic that several kids at your HS could do that much as a freshman. My guess would be you're confusing squat clean with power clean.

Here's one of them:

http://www.goblueraiders.com/player.cfm/na...hiteside/id/451

He did 225 for 6 or 7 his freshman year.

Another is Wes Garmon. Played briefly for Troy.

There are a few others too, though they did not go on to play college.

And I am not confused about the diff. between the power clean and squat clean. We didn't even know what a squat clean was at my school.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Best Raw Squat - 665

Best raw deads (never singled, really) - 605 x 8, 655 x 5 - BWT around 245.

Along the young guy line, in 8th grade - Squat - 300, DL 350. Nearly 30 years ago....urgh. Bwt around 170-175.

Edited by John Beatty

Here's one of them:

And I am not confused about the diff. between the power clean and squat clean. We didn't even know what a squat clean was at my school.

-Rex

What did he weigh as a freshman since he's only 190 now?

best squat 365 tied this week

best deadlift 225 kg (496 lbs)

no equipment, december 6th i will do my first ever meet, i'm doing it raw

after it i will start using some gear, my friend got 2 nice squat suits, 1 ply never worn for $55 a piece i got one of them

bw around 195

Here's one of them:

-Rex

What did he weigh as a freshman since he's only 190 now?

I don't know really. Probably 170 or so. He played basketball too freshman year, that had to drop his weight down. But he was a man freshman year, while most of us were still maturing. Black guys in the South develop about as fast as Mexican girls.

-Rex

I almost never went heavier than what I could double, training raw. Here's what I did with only a belt in my mid twenties when I bulked up for the 220 pound class:

squat: 515x2 (below parallel)

deadlift: 625x2

And in my early twenties as a 181 pound class lifter with only a belt:

squat: 405x2 (below parallel)

deadlift: 575x2

Best squat effort was 550x2 equipped pre-meet.

Deadlift - 600 done in a meet at 193lbs.

I lifted 198 class.

My best Deadlift with Chalk and a Belt was 735 and Best Squat was 715.

I wish any of my lifts were high enough someone would doubt them :blush

ditto.

I was thinking the same thing after Aaron's post and surrounding comments...I bet I could have added 100 lbs to my lifts and no one would have even blinked.

My best Deadlift with Chalk and a Belt was 735 and Best Squat was 715.
Squat: 475 belt only

Deadlift: 700 belt only

I suspect that you two have different body types!

-Rex

Your Probably right Rex. I am 290 pounds and use to be a powerlifter. I moved into Strongman and had more fun. I just couldn't get use to being in equipment and my Flat Bench completly sucks. :blush

• 2 weeks later...