Grip Of The Adirondacks

matthcarl

Congrats on the DL PR !! and wishing you the best at TPS.

.. neilkaz ..

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthcarl

• Alawadhi

• vikingsrule92

• bencrush

Congrats on the DL PR !! and wishing you the best at TPS.

.. neilkaz ..

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the contest. It should be a blast, but I'm predicting a last place finish for myself :D

Gym today:

3x10 weight asst. pull-ups

ATG Squats: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 235x5, 245x5

Standing Military Press: 95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 120x5, 125x5

Cleans from floor: 115x5, 135x5, 135x5

75 front leg raises (sets of 15 or 10 until I got there)

I'll have a more detailed write-up later, but I am back from my first grip contest, the TPS Grip Assault IV. It was great and I feel pretty good about my strong top 10 finish (8 out of 10? :D). It was 1) Jedd Johnson, 2) Brendan Dwyer 3) Josh McCann. Just wanted to put in my own accomplishments

1) Closed CoC #2 (Missed BBSM twice)

2) 146 lbs 2HP (Missed 168 twice)

3) 44 lbs IM Hub device

4) 125 lbs Rolling Thunder (+handle/pin? I do not know the weight. Missed 135)

5) 180 lbs 2" V-bar (missed 190)

6) Sledge levering. Epic failure where I almost crushed my skull.

After the main event, I tried bending a huge bastard, and failed. I also got to try 1/4" Titanium. The stuff is crazy, and I couldn't even get a 6" piece to 2". I kinked a DC1 and got it stuck a little past 90 degrees as well. I was pretty fried by that time.

Great job on your first grip contest Matt! I will always fondly remember my first contest. And my second. And my third...

Good work on your first contest, Matt. I have to ask if they had a gripper between the #2 and BBSM as that is a big gap and also was it possible to try something in 2HP between 146 and 168 ?

Nice job hubbing 44 lbs ! .. neilkaz ..

Good work on your first contest, Matt. I have to ask if they had a gripper between the #2 and BBSM as that is a big gap and also was it possible to try something in 2HP between 146 and 168 ?

Thanks Neil. No, there wasn't anything between the 2 and the BBSM. It would have been nice to have an RB 180 or something, but it wasn't my call.

I don't remember exactly what was available for the 2HP. I don't think they wanted to go in smaller jumps because there weren't enough calibrated plates.

The hub lift was definitely my best effort. That thing is slick! It made a lot of strong guys look silly.

Nice job on your first contest Matt. The IM hub is definitely harder than doing a regular hub lift because it's so slick.

The hub lift was definitely my best effort. That thing is slick! It made a lot of strong guys look silly.

Yes, it sure did, didn't it :blush:D

Congrats on your first comp :rock A question, where did you get a titanium? I really want to get my hands on it :D do you sell a peice or two? Just tell me where to get it!

Thanks!

Edited by Alawadhi

Congrats on your first comp :rock A question, where did you get a titanium? I really want to get my hands on it :D do you sell a peice or two? Just tell me where to get it!

Thanks!

Someone gave me just the one piece of titanium to try, and I have no idea where it can be obtained. It is very expensive stuff.

Thanks!

Someone gave me just the one piece of titanium to try, and I have no idea where it can be obtained. It is very expensive stuff.

Who is crazy enough to buy that stuff??? I looked on Mcmaster and it's $35 for 3 feet!!! No thanks I'll stick to cheap steel :D

Thanks!

Who is crazy enough to buy that stuff??? I looked on Mcmaster and it's $35 for 3 feet!!! No thanks I'll stick to cheap steel :D

Derek they were leftovers from a job.I don't know if he has any more left.I watched these guys bending this stuff and the expressions were priceless.

Derek they were leftovers from a job.I don't know if he has any more left.I watched these guys bending this stuff and the expressions were priceless.

I'm sure my expression was priceless as I futilely tried to crush the stupid piece of metal. I'd swear I had those legs a half inch apart, and they sprung back out to 2 1/4". It was almost unfair :D

Went to the gym today.

Military Press: 65x5, 95x3, 115x2, 165x1 (PR)

Squat: 165x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5

Deadlift: I was going to try one handed deadlift today, but I couldn't even break 225 lbs off the ground. I tried several times and couldn't believe it. I guess my grip is still weak from too many events on Saturday, because then I switched to conventional deadlift and went up to 385 lbs for a new PR. I tried 415 and 405, but missed.

Incline situps: 100 total

kettlebell snatches. 60 (3 sets of 10 each arm) with 45 lb. kb

a one handed deadlift of 225 would be pretty good.

Bending titanium?! We are starting to get to good at this stuff :D

a one handed deadlift of 225 would be pretty good.

Bending titanium?! We are starting to get to good at this stuff :D

Thanks...my PR on the one hand DL is 275, though, so I was disappointed I couldn't get 225 up. As for titanium...:S

I got a pair of calipers and measured my bodyfat at about 16-17% I have no idea how accurate these things are. I would have guessed I was over 20%, but on the other hand I used an online calculator and came up with 12.5% :D If I really am around 16%, that means there has been no change since I last had the skinfold test done 10 years ago. I weighed 50 lbs less back then. One of my goals for this year is to get below 10% bodyfat with clean eating and cardio.

New horseshoe PR...just took a DC1 to almost 180 degrees. Got stuck just shy, but I think I can fully straighten one if I can keep it moving a little faster when it's still warm. I credit Zach's advice for helping me get this far :bow

Hit the gym today chest/tris workout. Started with 40 kb snatches to warm up :D These wre pretty tough. I'm still a little sore from yesterday, so I didn't try for a ton.

Bench (In Smith machine, becuse I'm a chicken without a spotter): 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x5 - I realize it doesn't necessarily mean a lot using a Smith machine, but I can tell my bench is getting better and I think I could crush my old bench PR of 205 lbs on a good day.

CG Bench (using regular bench): 95x10, 105x10, 115x8

Tricep Rope pulldowns: 120x10, 120x10, 120x10

My tris were so pumped after that I couldn't resist an ego-measurement of my upper arm. 17" even :D

Last night: Tried to guage how my hands were for bending. I did a 5/16x6 G2 in IM pads, then tried a couple other things and felt off. My right hand is sore and I really feel it when I try to crush something. Going to give it a few more days before I try to bend again.

Today:

Squats: 135x5, 225x5, 245x5, 255x5, 265x5

Shrugs: 135x10 (warmpup for kb snatches)

80 snatches with 45lb. kettlebell (4x10 each arm)

Dip Shrugs: 10xBW for cool down

Edited by The Writer

Great work on the DC1 horseshoe Matt :rock

You need to get out here with me and Jedd soon :cool

That would be fun. Do you guys have a set schedule? Mapquest says it's a five hour drive to Williamsport, so don't look for me to come down every Saturday or anything :D

22 minutes of easy jogging for cardio. It actually felt great, and I'm planning to work more running into my routine.

That would be fun. Do you guys have a set schedule? Mapquest says it's a five hour drive to Williamsport, so don't look for me to come down every Saturday or anything :D

I checked and is about 3 hours to my place.