Grip Of The Adirondacks

matthcarl

I made another attempt at the shiny this morning, and again got stuck at 3.5". The crush continues to kick my butt. But it did prove to me that tja's 8mm stuff is WAAY harder than a Shiny.

In other news, I put in an order from Nutritiongeeks for T6, T7, and T8 grippers. I liked the few BB grippers I've tried better than RB's, so I decided to go that way for a few harder grippers. I should be close to the T6, and the others...well, got to have some distant goals, you know :D

Just so you know, don't expect the T7 and T8 to go down soon, Paul has yet to close Greg's (or Casey's, I can't remember) T7 and you know what he can do with grippers ;) Supposably this latest batch of Tettings is really psycho, I'm curious as to where the T6s stand and whether I should get one for myself. Congrats on the Shiny, you'll get it soon man!!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthcarl

• Alawadhi

• vikingsrule92

• bencrush

No, I surely do not expect to close either of those grippers, but I said I was looking for some harder ones. I expect I'll also get a #3.5 and a #4 before the end of the year.

No, I surely do not expect to close either of those grippers, but I said I was looking for some harder ones. I expect I'll also get a #3.5 and a #4 before the end of the year.

Yeah I have about 8 grippers at or above the 3.5, I know the feeling :D Paul informed me the new T6s are quite a bit above the #3 actually, so you might look to close your #3 before closing it unless Casey's T6 is just a psycho one.

Paul informed me the new T6s are quite a bit above the #3 actually, so you might look to close your #3 before closing it unless Casey's T6 is just a psycho one.

Only one way to find out :whistel

I found a couple of my leftover Edgins and tried one today...it just started bending on the threads. Not cool :(

Paul informed me the new T6s are quite a bit above the #3 actually, so you might look to close your #3 before closing it unless Casey's T6 is just a psycho one.

Only one way to find out :whistel

I found a couple of my leftover Edgins and tried one today...it just started bending on the threads. Not cool :(

You ought to buy the 8" Edgins and then cut the threads off to make a 7" Edgin. That's what I prefer to do since I've broken enough threads off when bending them.

You ought to buy the 8" Edgins and then cut the threads off to make a 7" Edgin. That's what I prefer to do since I've broken enough threads off when bending them.

I was going to ask if that would help. I really do think I might have broken the threads on this one if I'd kept hitting it, and the bolt itself is still pretty much straight :angry:

Looking back in my log...it was a week ago I had a gripper workout and did something to the ring finger on my right hand. It's keeping me from being able to do much with grippers right now. As weak as the ring finger is, it is apprently pretty important, especially in setting a gripper. Oh, well. At least it doesn't keep me from bending.

I got my new grippers today, the T6, T7, and T8.

The T6 does feel a little harder than my #3

I got the T7 to parallel, which is a but better than I would have expected.

The T8 is a brick (though I did chest-crush it closed :D)

I'm just going to cry a little bit. I tried a 6.5" red nail again and couldn't crush it beyond 3 1/4". With that performance there isn't much point in trying the Shiny again :(

Maybe later if I'm feeling stronger, but this bend just sucked.

Edited by The Writer

Well, after a rest I did try some more bending, but not the shiny.

- Tried some isos with the brutal Hex, and found it had moved from 2cm to 2.5cm worth of kink (measured by pressing one end flat on the table and seeing how far the other end stuck up).

- bent a 4.5" G2 DU, and then a 4". It was surprisingly easy. I'm not sure 1/4" G2's are worth bending even at that length.

- Tried a 5.5"x5/16" G2. Kinked easily, failed to crush it. Same old story. OK, OK, time to start doing some pushups and chest work. My crush is just sorry if I'm moving the hex and can't even finish a G2 :(

Nice bending :rock

Seems like we have different weaknesses. Maybe we could change some? :D

Haha...maybe. I could use a little crushing help, that's for sure.

Nice bending :rock

Thanks!

Just updating to add what I posted elsewhere...I finally got a 6x5/16 G2 double underhand. And did it twice, so it isn't just a fluke :cool

More DU bending:

1) 7"x7mm stainless steel

2) 7"x5/16" HRS

3) 6"x5/16" HRS

6" was way off center, but actually easier to get started than the 7". THe stainless was the toughest bend, but not ridiculously so. I haven't hit my max, that's for sure.

Tried some more bending, but wasn't that great a session. I wanted to do a DU medley with 5/16" HRS, but my pinkies hurt so much I didn't even bend the 6" (which I got easily a couple of days ago).

I also took a hard (515) bastard from about 20 degrees to 3 1/4" but couldn't crush it further. I think I'll rest up from bending until the weekend.

I quartered my first phone book today. Granted it was an easy Saratoga book, but I was pleased. It wasn't very difficult at all.

I quartered my first phone book today. Granted it was an easy Saratoga book, but I was pleased. It wasn't very difficult at all.

Nice job! Tearing is so much fun!

Good job on the phone book! Which technique did you use? How thick was the book?

What's considered phone book quartering? Need to put it into four pieces? Or just one rip through the long side and then rip, e.g., the remaining binding side to half?

Thanks guys...I 'popped' the book to start it since I was going for speed (as in the BBB medley) and I did tear both halves in half. The non-binding side was a little awkward because of the pages slipping around, but not really that hard considering.

The phoe book was about an inch thick. I have done one more than twice that size bfore (by popping it) but did not attempt to quarter it. I have also done the easy book grip-and-rip style, but it's slower.

DO bending today:

1) Red nail for warmup...timed at about 40 seconds.

2) Shiny attempt...failed, stuck at 3 1/4" or so.

3) Golden...Not too bad. I hope it will count as my opener for the 'virtual bending comp.'

4) 515 bastard attempt. Kinked it some, then my shoulder decided it didn't want to play anymore :( This is my right shouder that I hurt doing kb snatches (and probably too many overhead presses) earlier this year and put a real crimp in my bending and weightlifting. It feels OK now, but it hurt pretty bad when I laid into the basard.

DU bending today:

1) 5"x1/4" JH (Black) G5 - kinked to 30 degrees. I think a lesser G5 or a 6" G8 would go down, but I don't have any on hand.

2) 6.5"x5/16" Zinc plated steel - bent to 90 pretty easily. Not any harder than my HRS, as far as I can tell

3) 6"x1/4" Square CRS - failed with a vague warp.

I forgot to mention I tried a golden DU yesterday, and I actually did better on that (kinked maybe 10 degrees)

DO bending today, with nothing but failure all around.

1) Hex - stuck at 110 degrees, way off center

2)Shiny - Stuck at about the same point

3) Red Nail - wasted my last one trying the 6.5" version again

Interesting notes on the shiny and hex...the Hex kinks very slowly, for me. Each hit only moves it a little, so I can't take advantae of my "Superkink" where on lesser pieces of metal I kink it so fast it heats up and can be crushed more easily. The shiny kinks very fast (and does get hot), but ramps up hard past 90 degrees. At a guess it takes me under 10 seconds to get to 90, though. At about 110 degrees, both pieces feel similar, as far as necessary crushing strength.

Some days...

I did a super-fast DC0 bend for the virtual comp. Definitely a speed record for me...but I had the camera set too high and missed most of the bend :( I'll go for another once my thigh de-tenderizes a bit.

Today I did a little bending

1) 6"x1/4" square DU - bent to 25-30 degrees off center. I guess that's a PR.

2) 5"x1/4" G8 DU - barely warped

3) 5" cut 60d Reverse - fairly easy

4) 6"x5/16" G2 Reverse - off center, but bent without much trouble. Definitely a PR.

5) 7"x3/8" HRS DO - got it sub 3" for a PR, but man it's got a tough crush.