Grip Of The Adirondacks

matthcarl

Matt, great job getting your first one to 2.5"! The Goldens are worth a place in everyone's training I think. I bought 10 of various lengths and they'll give anyone a workout if you go short enough. I just managed a Mag Golden earlier and taped a slow Grand Golden afterwards. You'll be there soon man.

Thanks, Ben. I think brass is a little expensive for doing a ton of volume, but it sure is different and fun. Wih any luck I'll get it soon.

Right on man. I didn't mean to use it for volume, you'd have to be almost rich to do that, lol. Although I do know a guy who just bought 75 foot of 3/8" Brass from a steel supplier. He'll be one to watch since that's apparently all he's going to work on from now on. He plans on only using brass even for warmups, just smaller diameters. I think it'll serve him well though. Looking forward to seeing you smash your first Golden Bastard.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthcarl

• Alawadhi

• vikingsrule92

• bencrush

Great work on the gold Matt,very good fight. :rock

I wa sup before five this morning to shovel snow. We got about a foot of heavy hard-packed stuff. Not fun. We were at it for more than seven hours and I'm beat.

Which didn't stop me from a quick bending session. As posted elsewhere, I killed the golden bastard. I'm pretty happy, but there's always more steel out there. I've been doing a lot of 7" stuff, but I want to bring that down a little and focus on my 6"-5" bending so I can take out the Huge and Grand before too long.

Today was productive. We've been hit pretty hard with snow all week, and today I had to come in for snow removal again. I look on the bright side and put it down as three hours of cross training cardio.

Later, I had a nice bending session. I posted it elsewhere, but I did some stainless square and got a bastard on video. I also kinked the shiny, but not very far considering my kink is my strong suit.

I also hit the gym for the first time in a while (snow shoveling plus a full work day keeps me pretty tired). I started German Volume Training today, with a few modifications. Today was shoulders, arms, and random grip.

Seated DB Press: 6 sets of 10@20lbs, 4 sets@30lbs - should have used a little more weight to start. 20 lbs didn't feel like it did anything

Bicep Curl: 45x15 reps (seated preacher style), then some strict singles 90x1, 105x1 (PR), 115x1(Major PR) - I'd done 100 lbs years ago and wanted to go for a PR today. Easier than I expected.

Tricep rope press-downs: 120x15, 120x15, 120x12 - got tired at the end.

I tried some v-bar, but it wasn't spectacular. I did 180 RH, but couldn't get it up LH.

I did some plate holds with 2 45's, but I wasn't feeling great with the pinch. I couldn't get 2 25's with either hand.

I did a few one handed DL's on a slightly curved olympic bar. I got 245 with each hand, which equals my PR.

I finished with a couple sets of wrist curls@70 lbs.

As a final note, I see my gym is going to be doing a "Biggest Loser" challenge based on the TV show. They are having a couple of info sessions and I might have to check it out. I am curious, but I have a few misgivings. I'd like to get down to about 180 lbs, but I'm not interested in a crash diet where I lose 20 lbs of muscle along the way. We'll see.

(Weight today was 207.0, by the way)

I have been trying to train grippers a little more, noting that they are one of the events at TPS. I have really slacked off here. Today I was about 2mm off on the #2 from a set, which is a slight improvement from last week. Of course, a couple of months ago I could TNS it, so I'm still a little disappointed. My right had is still a little sore from bending, which does affect my gripper ability.

I hit the gym and did GVT chest: 10 sets of 10 on the Bench with 95 lbs. Not much weight, but after ten sets my chest, shoudlers, and tris were all feeling it. I did a few kb rows and a few sets of weight-assisted pull-ups (still can't do regular pull-ups :blush )

After that I did some lifts with the IM device. I could only do 35 lbs RH and 30 LH. I did a couple of negs at 35 as well. It feels kind of frustrating since I've hubbed an actual 45 lb. plate in the past with ease. As a side note, a guy at the gym saw me doing the lift and asked if he could give it a try. There was 35 lbs on it and he couldn't lift it, but I'm happy to give grip a little exposure. I said I trained grip, and he said he did brickwork, which helped the hands. I have to take his word for it, since it appears my grip is stonger :D .

Did some plate pinching and went home.

Matt,don't feel bad about the hub device,it is just not the same as lifting a plate by the hub,plus it is slick or at least mine is.its a tough lift and 35 doesn't seem all that bad on it IMO.

Matt,don't feel bad about the hub device,it is just not the same as lifting a plate by the hub,plus it is slick or at least mine is.its a tough lift and 35 doesn't seem all that bad on it IMO.

I'll echo your sentiments Charles. I have a tough time with 30 on my IM Hub, feel like removing the slimy paint.

Matt, 35 on the IM hub is nothing to be ashamed about.

Nice one handed DL the other day. :rock

How many reps are you typically doing now with your wrist curls? I would imagine quite a few, if there is any relationship with bending strength, as your bending looks to be going great. I saw you were doing sets of 10 using the DH-style routine at the beginning of your log.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. The IM hub is slick, but I'll try to get used to it.

Bob, I still do the David Horne workout frequently. I haven't really upped the reps so much as the weight. I started at 45 lbs and added weight to the point where I do 3 sets of 10 at 70 lbs for each exercise, as well as the plate holds.

I'm not sure what relation there is to bending and wrist strength. I never thought of myself as having strong wrists...I think my flexibility is more of a help. A lot of guys are far stronger than I, but can't bend as well for that reason alone.

<snip>

I'm not sure what relation there is to bending and wrist strength. I never thought of myself as having strong wrists...I think my flexibility is more of a help. A lot of guys are far stronger than I, but can't bend as well for that reason alone.

Matt, I'm doing my wrist work to lay a solid foundation for bending and I also enjoy wrist curls and related movements for their own sake. I'm not going to start serious bending until I'm satisfied with my wrist strength in multiple dimensions (need more rehab/prehab work on the elbows and shoulders as well). Levering is still pretty rough on my elbows, and I know that is a dimension of wrist strength I need to work on. I'm in no hurry, am trying to "set the table" for the best long-term outcome.

I am planning to do the styles that demand more wrist strength vs. body, so my focus may be need to be vastly different from yours. You are really doing an outstanding job bending, especially considering your relative newness to the sport. Your overall body and/or wrist strength must be better than you give yourself credit for.

Edited by odin

<snip>

Matt, I'm doing my wrist work to lay a solid foundation for bending and I also enjoy wrist curls and related movements for their own sake. I'm not going to start serious bending until I'm satisfied with my wrist strength in multiple dimensions (need more rehab/prehab work on the elbows and shoulders as well). Levering is still pretty rough on my elbows, and I know that is a dimension of wrist strength I need to work on. I'm in no hurry, am trying to "set the table" for the best long-term outcome.

I am planning to do the styles that demand more wrist strength vs. body, so my focus may be need to be vastly different from yours. You are really doing an outstanding job bending, especially considering your relative newness to the sport. Your overall body and/or wrist strength must be better than you give yourself credit for.

With your dedication I'm sure you'll do well at bending. I myself would like to branch out into other styles eventually, like Booyah! has done, but I guess I've been having too much fun DO. I recently tried a 60d reverse...I barely kinked it and it hurt so bad I was whining like a little girl. :D I'm also pretty lousy at sledge levering, and have yet to do my 8-pounder from the floor without choking up on the handle a good bit. I have seen some of your videos, plus your action at Gripmas and wouldn't be surprised if you are overall much stronger than me. I do not lift because I am strong. Quite the oppsite. I was always the wimpy nerdy kid in school. Now I'm the wimpy nerdy adult who tries to hide it by pumping iron. :cool

<snip>

With your dedication I'm sure you'll do well at bending. I myself would like to branch out into other styles eventually, like Booyah! has done, but I guess I've been having too much fun DO. I recently tried a 60d reverse...I barely kinked it and it hurt so bad I was whining like a little girl. :D I'm also pretty lousy at sledge levering, and have yet to do my 8-pounder from the floor without choking up on the handle a good bit. I have seen some of your videos, plus your action at Gripmas and wouldn't be surprised if you are overall much stronger than me. I do not lift because I am strong. Quite the oppsite. I was always the wimpy nerdy kid in school. Now I'm the wimpy nerdy adult who tries to hide it by pumping iron. :cool

Matt, we're probably more alike than different. If any of the kids I grew up with heard i was doing "feats of strength" of any kind, they'd likely go into hysterics or convulsions from laughter.

I'm a believer in Adlerian psychology's compensation neurosis ("organ inferiority and compensation").

Very interesting. I can't argue it. If I wasn't always small growing up (despite my current weight, I was only 5'2" 120 lbs starting high school) I doubt if I ever would have been so interested in this stuff.

Bob. I say if you want to add to your wrist strength for bending I also suggest doing levering (besides the wrist curls you do) from ever angle. Also bending easy stock for high volume in every style is good.

Did grippers a little more today and felt stronger. I think I closed my #2 today, though I couldn't see the handles until they popped open to about a millimeter. I also did some overcrushes with the 1.5, I'm feeling good.

Yesterday I tried an SCF Polo1 horseshoe and took it to about 130-140 degrees. I think I could have straightened one, but I tore a nice patch of skin off my left palm and stopped.

Today I got some used aluminum horseshoes from Travis Rush. There are a few different kinds, and I gave one that looked fairly easy a try. It kinked easily, but I got it stuck a little past 90 degrees. At that point I have to push hard with both hands, and the skin tear on my palm was making it painful.

Here's the video. You might want to leave the sound off...there's nothing much to hear from me, and for some reason the sound from my old steam radiators is picked up and amplified by my cheap camera. :rolleyes

For once I didn't have to shovel snow on my short work day, and got to hit the gym relatively fresh.

DL: 315x1, 365x1 (PR), 405x0, 385x0, 295x3 - I feel like I should be able to do a lot more here. Time to actually train DL :D

Military: 135x3, 155x1 (PR), 165x0

Squat: 275x3, 315x2 - was going to try a heavier single, but felt shaky after the deadlifts and decided not to risk it. :(

DB Clean+Press: 65'sx1 (PR), 70'sx0

Leg Extensions (ab exercise): 5 sets of 10

KB Clean+Press: 45 lb. kb, 2x10 RH, one set of 8 and one of 10 LH

1H Plate Pinch: Full lift RH, missed LH. Still better than last time.

1" Vbar: 95x3 both hands, 135x2 both, 180 Left (missed right), 205 Left, tried 215 left and missed. I do not know why my left should be stronger, but it has been lately.

Wrist Curl (forearms on bench): Bob (Odin) had me wondering if I was just being a wuss using 70 lbs. I did 10 reps @95, 4 @105, but couldn't really get full range, went back to 95 and did 8 more reps.

Today is my usual bending day, but I'm taking a break to see if my grip improves. After TPS I'll be back to full hand-punisher mode.

OK, couldn't resist one bend just to keep limber. I did the 6"x1/4" Stainless Square today. Here the Video. Still pretty easy at 6" length...under 30 seconds to bend it even with the skin tear.

I forgot to mention earlier, I did some one hand deadlifts at the gym with a 180 lb. dumbbell (as heavy as they go). I did use a finger from the alternate hand to keep it from rotating. Once I did that the weight was easy. I've got to get a thick DB bar one of these days.

Nice bend. That bend isn't easy at all. You should be able to get the huge bastard (not sure if you can get it in the time limit or not but you can bend it in one session).

Great bend Matt, :rock "EASY"?Easy for you maybe.Good work Bud.

Thanks guys. Your words encourage me. I'll be hitting the huge with everything I have once my hand heals up.

Thanks guys. Your words encourage me. I'll be hitting the huge with everything I have once my hand heals up.

Holy nice bend, man!!! :rock It's going to be hard to not go bend some stuff after watching your vids. Thanks for the inspiration!

Holy nice bend, man!!! :rock It's going to be hard to not go bend some stuff after watching your vids. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks, Jesse. The 5.5" is going down next time :rock I always get fired up by watching videos as well, whether it's Gazza killing a fantastic shiny or a new bender taking down a G2. It makes me want to go for a PR every day :D

No serious workouts for today. Rumors about my bending have been circulating among co-workers. I did demo on a couple of 60d's, but wasn't going to try anything strenuous. They look cooler than regular steel bars anyway. A few people seem interested. I can't say I have hopes of converting anyone to bending, though. I'll offer my feeble advice if anyone wants it (mostly 'go visit gripborad.com' :D ) but dedication is the main ingredient as I see it.

Did some other light stuff at home later in varying sets:

100 Pushups

50 fingertip pushups

500 crunches

Nice bend Matt looked easy for you !!!!! :rock

Thanks Jason...though not as easy as it'd be for you.

I had a weird bending session today. I started by trying to hit the 6.5" red nail. For some reason it seemed ridiculously hard. I got it to 4" (maybe 110 degrees) and stopped. I had a couple of band-aids on my left hand, which were peeling off and getting in the way, but mostly it was because my right hand hurt. I know the reds are a little harder than bastards (Eric was kind enough to do some calibration for me) but I couldn't believe it stopped me dead.

I took a break, but soon was feeling better. I ditched the band-aids and tried a 6" G8 in IM pads...it was ridiculously easy and I decided the skin tear on my hand was healed. I also tried a bastard in IM pads, and just put a tiny kink in it. But I was feeling so strong I couldn't bear the sight of the unfinished red. I slipped it into the still-wrapped IM pads and crushed it down in a few easy hits. I have no idea why it stopped me earlier. Mental? Not warmed up? I don't know, but I got my confidence back.

After another break, I hit the 5.5" stainless square, but couldn't get it past 110 or so. I think on the shorter stuff, finishing the sweep is harder for me than the crushdown.

Then I hit the 5" G5 in IM pads. The length makes it hard, but I still crushed the little sucker.

I'll try to post a couple of videos later, but I'm having computer issues again. :angry:

Went to the gym today as well...

Did one set of 10 squats @135 lbs to warm up

1H DL (all lifts are rh+lh): 225x1, 225x1, 255x1, 265x1, 275x1 - smashed my previous PR of 245. I think the warm up squats helped.

Squat: 225x5, 275x5, 275x5

Donkey Calf Raise: 5 sets of 15@400 lbs (as much as the machine has - not important, though...reading this Chris Mathison?)

IM Hub: 25x4 RH, 25x2LH, 35x1RH+LH, Missed 45 and 40 with both hands, did a few negs.

DB C+P: 70'sx1...new PR

Military: 95x10, 95x10, 95x6 (getting tired)

Also did a few reps of weight assisted pull-ups.

1H DL (all lifts are rh+lh): 225x1, 225x1, 255x1, 265x1, 275x1 - smashed my previous PR of 245. I think the warm up squats helped.

Matt, great PR on the 1HDL!