• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthcarl

• Alawadhi

• vikingsrule92

• bencrush

Matt, in my opinion the New Reds are as hard as a Bastard - 1/2". In other words a 6.5" Red is as hard as a Huge Bastard, so it's damn tough. Great job on the bends lately!!!

Matt, great PR on the 1HDL!

Thanks Bob...it's now within 100 lbs of my regular DL PR :D

Damn Matt, 275 is a great one hand deadlift :rock

Matt, great PR on the 1HDL!

Thanks Bob...it's now within 100 lbs of my regular DL PR :D

Damn Matt, 275 is a great one hand deadlift :rock

Thanks, John. I figure if my legs are strong enough to lift the weight, the only problem is hanging onto the bar :D

I went to the gym to do chest+tris today, but felt lousy and went home after a few sets. I had a rough week sleepwise last week, and then lost an hour with daylight savings....so I think my system is all screwed up.

That didn't stop me from trying an SCF Polo 1, though. I didn't quite make it to 180, but it is a PR for me. I'll post the video separately once it finishes uploading.

Just picked up some 3/8" HRS and 1/4"x5" JH (black) Grade five bolts. Looking forward to giving some of the stuff a try tomorrow.

I have realy regressed as far as gripper training. Hit them tonight...not sure if I remember everything.

HG100x10 both hands

Tx10 both hands

1x5rh, x3lh

1.5x1 both

2 - missed both hands

Some coin holding with 1 and T, some overcrushes with HG200, a few random singles.

I have realy regressed as far as gripper training. Hit them tonight...not sure if I remember everything.

HG100x10 both hands

Tx10 both hands

1x5rh, x3lh

1.5x1 both

2 - missed both hands

Some coin holding with 1 and T, some overcrushes with HG200, a few random singles.

That's happened to me to Matt mine is coming back so stick with it you will get it back. :D

Good to see you got some 3/8" HRS. The National brand HRS calibrates around 490, and some of the SteelWorks calibrates around 570-590.

Good to see you got some 3/8" HRS. The National brand HRS calibrates around 490, and some of the SteelWorks calibrates around 570-590.

Yeah, I have no idea where this stuff would fall. It was just labelled "HRS" at Tractor Supply. I figure I'll see how it feels. If I can't move it at 7", I was going to try an 8" piece cheat kinked.

Did some bending. Definitely a mixed bag. I made two unsuccessful attempts on the Huge, and one on the big golden. All got stuck between 3.5" and 4". Just not strong enough. I did get a 5" G5 in IM pads, as well as the 7"x1/4" square CRS in IM pads for a PR. I also did 5.5"x1/4 round CRS reverse for a PR that way. Finally, I tried the 3/8 HRS and barely kinked it (1mm or so). I think it must be the 590 lbs. steelworks stuff, or similar, as I at least got a shiny to 20 degrees.

Edited by The Writer

Mine is only 495 but was suprisingly stout on the kink, I destroyed a shiny and have yet to kink one significantly, but I haven't tried in a little while. It's possible you got 490 stuff and it's just stout but the steelworks stuff is possible too.

Congrats on the bends Matt!!!

Edited by vikingsrule92

Mine is only 495 but was suprisingly stout on the kink, I destroyed a shiny and have yet to kink one significantly, but I haven't tried in a little while. It's possible you got 490 stuff and it's just stout but the steelworks stuff is possible too.

Congrats on the bends Matt!!!

Oh, well. I was hoping I would have been able to kink 490, but maybe not :blush

In other news, I just got a few new grippers: RB 180, 240N, 260N. The latter two I am hoping will help me get the 3 by the end of the year, but I mashed the 180 just now. It is definitely easier than my #2.

Hmm, you either have a easy 180 or I have a hard one. Mine's about a 2.2 with a very hard sweep. Those two narrows are between a 2.5 and 3, probably 2.6 and 2.8 respectively, but that's a rough estimate. They have pretty tough final crushes on em too. Good luck with the #3 I'm sure you'll get it soon buddy.

Oh and like I said I could be wrong, that's just my experience with it. Also, the golden kink feels a lot easier then 485 to me, much easier then a 485 Hex kink. Oh and watch for the crush on that HRS stuff, it bends so freakin broad that the crush on these seems to be only slightly easier then a shiny. Aaron struggled a little to crush a 6" so I think that speaks for itself :D

Edited by vikingsrule92

Hmm, you either have a easy 180 or I have a hard one. Mine's about a 2.2 with a very hard sweep. Those two narrows are between a 2.5 and 3, probably 2.6 and 2.8 respectively, but that's a rough estimate. They have pretty tough final crushes on em too. Good luck with the #3 I'm sure you'll get it soon buddy.

Oh and like I said I could be wrong, that's just my experience with it. Oh and watch for the crush on that HRS stuff, it bends so freakin broad that the crush on these seems to be only slightly easier then a shiny. Aaron struggled a little to crush a 6" so I think that speaks for itself :D

The HRS is just a long term training tool. I don't expect to do much with it for a bit. As for the RB 180...it could be easy, but I'm comparing it to my #2, which I have long suspected is extremely hard. I closed Brendan's #2 last summer, but it took several more months to get my own. I'd rate it closer to a 2.5 than Brendan's 2, but that's only a rough guess based on closes months apart.

Almost forgot to add, got the horseshoe sample pack from John Beatty today...I bent the 'easiest' shoe past 180, but it took a several minutes. It is an unmarked hand-forged shoe and I'm not 100% sure who makes it. Zach hearted this same one and probably has a better idea.

Edited by The Writer

Oh and like I said I could be wrong, that's just my experience with it. Oh and watch for the crush on that HRS stuff, it bends so freakin broad that the crush on these seems to be only slightly easier then a shiny. Aaron struggled a little to crush a 6" so I think that speaks for itself :D

The HRS is just a long term training tool. I don't expect to do much with it for a bit. As for the RB 180...it could be easy, but I'm comparing it to my #2, which I have long suspected is extremely hard. I closed Brendan's #2 last summer, but it took several more months to get my own. I'd rate it closer to a 2.5 than Brendan's 2, but that's only a rough guess based on closes months apart.

Matt,I would rate my RB180 at about a 2.2-2.3. My #2 is a middle of the road one,Brendans is older and seems a bit easier and a guy I work with just got a new #2 and it is harder than mine and closer to my 180,it might even be harder than the 180.in other words there all pretty tough to compare,The #2 grippers seem to be all over the place.bring your your RB180 to TPS and I will bring mine and see how close they are.I can close My 2 most of the time,but I can not say the same for my 180.

Matt,I would rate my RB180 at about a 2.2-2.3. My #2 is a middle of the road one,Brendans is older and seems a bit easier and a guy I work with just got a new #2 and it is harder than mine and closer to my 180,it might even be harder than the 180.in other words there all pretty tough to compare,The #2 grippers seem to be all over the place.bring your your RB180 to TPS and I will bring mine and see how close they are.I can close My 2 most of the time,but I can not say the same for my 180.

I'll bring the 180 and the 2 along. Unfortunately I can usually not close my #2 these days. :(

OK, despite y earlier plan to rest until TPS, I couldn't resist some bending, and got carried away. One week ought to be enough rest anyway :D

Anyway, here's what I did: 60d reverse, 6" G5 reverse, 5.5" G5 reverse, 7" Red DO, 5" G5 in IM pads, 6.5" square CRS in IM pads, DCO to 120 degrees.

Some decent stuff for me, and I'll post the videos. Somehow the 6.5" square vid got lost :( I was pretty proud of how fast tht one went, too.

Well done and nice reverse :rock

Well done and nice reverse :rock

Thanks!

Did a couple of gripper singles...hands felt good, so I went with it. Went up to 1.5 LH and RB 180 RH. Missed 180 LH and juuust missed the #2 RH (As I have stated before, my RB 180 is a good bit easier than my #2).

That's what I like to see.

Thanks Kevin!

Just back from the gym...

Squats: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, then one set of front squats 135x5 - In the past I've mostly done parallel PL-type squats. I've become convinced atg is better, though, and today made sure every rep was deliberate and DEEP. Felt pretty good, even if I had to drop the weight a tad. Front squats are something else. Just wanted to see how they felt, and I did not like them. 135 is hardly any weight, but the bar felt very unsteady up there.

Bench: 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 145x5, 155x5 - felt pretty easy. Got to up the weight next time. Also tried one set of db bench presses, and got 4 reps wth 75's.

Deadlift: 315x5 singles. Did 3 in rapid succession, but felt the bar slipping and chalked up for another quick two. After that I had to try for a new PR. loaded 375, chalked up, and nailed it :cool I really think I could pull 400 on a good day. Maybe more with belt and straps, but chalk is the most I ever use.

Tried for a new 1H Clean and press PR with 80's, but it wasn't happening.

Weight after workout: 208.4 lbs. My new goal is to hit the 198 lb. class by 5/1 without losing any of my current strength.

Edited by The Writer

I usually don't go to the gym on consecutive days, but since I'm on vacation and getting a fair amount of rest, I decided I could survive it.

Standing DB Curl: 25'sx10 for warmup

Standing EZ bar curl: 75x5, 95x2, 125x0 (tried for a new PR and missed), 115x0 (must have been tired)

Seated Preacher Curl: 3 sets of 5 @ 75 lbs.

Incline Sit-ups: 100 total reps. Did 2 sets of 25, one of 20, one of 10...and kind of did doubles/singles/whatever until I got to 100 total. These are tough for me.

Weight after workout: 209.0 lbs. Going the wrong way...should have skipped those 2 beers last night.

Worthless computer. Double post.

Edited by The Writer