• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• Jedd Johnson

• MalachiMcMullen

• vikingsrule92

If we just let people compete without qualifying in some way, doesn't that just make it exactly the same as the last two GGC's?

I really like Beatty's last suggestion. Once someone qualifies, they don't qualify again. The people who have not yet qualified would qualify. i.e.

show 1. So say Chad, Aaron, Dave, Jedd & Ryan qualified at the BBB, then at (hypothetical) show 2 - Places were Jedd, Dave, Chris, Ben, me, Bob, Rick, then Chris, Ben, me, Bob, Rick qualify at show 2 & you have 10 qualified. and so forth.

That is very reasonable.

We could also do Wild Card qualifiers. For instance, reverse bending a bastard, DO bending an edgin, pinching 200 pounds, closing a 3.5, etc. Doing any of these feats, top 5 finish or not could qualify the person for a berth at Nationals.

I like the don't qualify again rule and the wild card rule. Does the wild card feat have to be performed in a contest?

As for the differences between open nationals and the last two GGC's: Not to be a jack@ss but aren't you just renaming it anyway? It's not like the national champion qualifies for worlds (since we don't have one) or you're going to have special national champion events vs. ggc events. Qualifier or not won't the winner still be named national champion? I just hate to see anything that limits participation in our sport since it is so small at this point.

I guess the main difference is that the winner in 2008 will be thre first one to win in a tournament format.

Plus you'll be able to call yourself the US Grip Champion and it will mean a lot.

Agreed. With no tournament/qualification, there is no real championship besides just the GGC champion really.

• 2 weeks later...

I have what I consider a very important point about the "National Championship" . It appears that The Crushing, Supporting and Pinch aspects of Grip are going to be well represented, however, all 3 aspects of bending, DO, DU, Rev, should also be represented as they are all 3 totally different disciplines. Each one utilizes a different part of the wrists and grip. This will equalize the competition field and make the "National Championship" results/rankings more meaningful and isn't that the point of it all? :)

I have what I consider a very important point about the "National Championship" . It appears that The Crushing, Supporting and Pinch aspects of Grip are going to be well represented, however, all 3 aspects of bending, DO, DU, Rev, should also be represented as they are all 3 totally different disciplines. Each one utilizes a different part of the wrists and grip. This will equalize the competition field and make the "National Championship" results/rankings more meaningful and isn't that the point of it all? :)

I totally agree, I have an idea that may be shot on sight but here goes...

Why not NOT release what type of bending will be done at the GGC until about a week or so out from the comp? Maybe have a little drawing at the beginning so the style will be randomly chosen for that day and you can't have the same style 2 or 3 years in a row. That way people will be encouraged to train all 3 styles and you don't have to have 2 extra events for the other styles that aren't represented adding time to the whole thing.

Kind of like Chris's medley, no one other than Chris, Nick and a few others knew what was involved and all Chris would say is to train the hand in every way. Competitors had no choice but to do so or risk not lifting one or more of the items.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I am in strong favor of having a single contest where the top US guys are expected to show and put it on the line for best in the country. I think that is excellent, especially if some sort of major prize can make it worthwhile for the top tier guys to compete.

I do think there may be better options than turning away interested lifters who do not qualify, such a novice class that is not in the running for the title or top prizes. With a half dozen contests a year and about 50 competitors nation wide, the sport seems too small to support an exclusive yearly contest.

I personally prefer to stick to the contests in the midwest, since I can hit my desired 1-2 competitions a year without a lot of travel. New guys in the east coast may be willing to travel to GGC to participate, but not to events further away. Regional contests are the feeder system that will bring experienced lifters into the sport. Excluding competitors may prevent us from finding more guys like Dave Thorton or Ryan Klein. That does not make sense to me.

I am in strong favor of having a single contest where the top US guys are expected to show and put it on the line for best in the country. I think that is excellent, especially if some sort of major prize can make it worthwhile for the top tier guys to compete.

I do think there may be better options than turning away interested lifters who do not qualify, such a novice class that is not in the running for the title or top prizes. With a half dozen contests a year and about 50 competitors nation wide, the sport seems too small to support an exclusive yearly contest.

I personally prefer to stick to the contests in the midwest, since I can hit my desired 1-2 competitions a year without a lot of travel. New guys in the east coast may be willing to travel to GGC to participate, but not to events further away. Regional contests are the feeder system that will bring experienced lifters into the sport. Excluding competitors may prevent us from finding more guys like Dave Thorton or Ryan Klein. That does not make sense to me.

SECONDED!!! Good post Scott, I think there should at least be an open class or something thereabout.

Thirded, there should be a regular class competing for top prizes and the title of grip champion and an open class competing for smaller prizes and title of open class champ at GGC (or U.S. grip championship or whatever the name is)

At this point in time you hit it right the nail Scott . But we do need to get the ball rolling as far as getting a Governing Body, Rules for contests

maybe a scoring system to be applied at all contests. This is such a small sport and this would be a good time to get started on building-up the

integrity of it. And it would help bring in future competitors and keep our top tier guys from leaving it.

I am not opposed to a novice division for those who have never competed.

The only problem with letting everyone compete that wants to is the time. I have no facility of my own for a grip contest and neither does Smitty. We are at the mercy of the gym or facility owner.

IMO reverse bending requires the most wrist strength and seems most appropriate for a grip strength contest.

To restate an idea I think may have gotten buried abit,

Why not NOT release what type of bending will be done at the GGC until about a week or so out from the comp? Maybe have a little drawing at the beginning so the style will be randomly chosen for that day and you can't have the same style 2 or 3 years in a row. That way people will be encouraged to train all 3 styles and you don't have to have 2 extra events for the other styles that aren't represented adding time to the whole thing.

The idea is that it will stop guys from concentrating so much on DO and shove DU and Reverse in there. Perhaps the first contest could use either DU or Rvrs to start off and be picked randomly close to the contest. It will also make it more interesting from a competitor standpoint I think.

Yep, reverse is the best test of wrist strength.

DO won't go away, but if we want to be competitive with the Europeans on an international level, we have to play their game. In all fairness, they started it.

DO won't go away, but if we want to be competitive with the Europeans on an international level, we have to play their game. In all fairness, they started it.

Bob; we still have the 2HP / Grippers and 1" - 2" vbar (when we use calibrated devices and weights) to compare.

IMO - Bending isn't that easy to compare because we don't have an exact calibration method for

our steel. This makes it not so easy to compare.

Fully agree when we talk about bending and wrist strength!!!! :rock

Edited by moser1972

That right there is the only reason it needs for the event to be included. There are other events. The real reason many is that so many like bending steel. You'll also note that quite a few of the Euro events do not include steel bending. For example in this years British I have the Weaver Stick as a wrist event and last years was the Table Top Wrist Curl.

That right there is the only reason it needs for the event to be included. There are other events. The real reason many is that so many like bending steel. You'll also note that quite a few of the Euro events do not include steel bending. For example in this years British I have the Weaver Stick as a wrist event and last years was the Table Top Wrist Curl.

Since years I am thinking about this as a competition event!

I love David's "Total Wrist Tester"!

Edited by moser1972

I like using a combination of the standardized events and rotating overs in and out of each years list. I do not have one of those but it's as good a test of wrist strength as any.

• 2 weeks later...
Thirded, there should be a regular class competing for top prizes and the title of grip champion and an open class competing for smaller prizes and title of open class champ at GGC (or U.S. grip championship or whatever the name is)

I don't think there are enough resources for something like that. That is a LOT of prizes.

I don't think there are enough resources for something like that. That is a LOT of prizes.

Agreed :D That would be a poop load of prizes!!!

Well that was just an idea. You said we'd have an open class then, so is there no prizes for them? Just pride or what?

Well that was just an idea. You said we'd have an open class then, so is there no prizes for them? Just pride or what?

I don't think I said Open Class. I think I said Novice Class.

I don't think I said Open Class. I think I said Novice Class.

Oh okay I was mistaken. So what's the deal with the novice class?

If you haven't competed in a grip contest before, you are a novice and can compete in the novice class.

Maybe it's just me. I don't need a prize to compete. I would gladly pay $50 to show up and compete. I think a t shirt with registration is more than enough for most people. Little statues are cool and all but, not needed. I go to see what other people are doing and to meet new people. I think a novice class would be a great chance to learn from everyone else and get motivated to improve. Maybe that's just me

brent

Maybe it's just me. I don't need a prize to compete. I would gladly pay $50 to show up and compete. I think a t shirt with registration is more than enough for most people. Little statues are cool and all but, not needed. I go to see what other people are doing and to meet new people. I think a novice class would be a great chance to learn from everyone else and get motivated to improve. Maybe that's just me

brent

Maybe it's just us then ;)

Something else that I thought of. Will there be dues paid? The BGSA charges dues, don't they?

Brent