Us Championships - 2008

Jedd Johnson

I suppose I look at some contests as being so prestigious that placing in them should qualify you automatically with a decent placing. And at some, Top 8 is decent, even Top 10 at times.

I like the idea of "qualifying" standards as well. Perhaps the "qualifying" standard should be required to be in some type of contest. Not a video, garage lift, etc. For example, Kevin Meskew's contests are always fun, but the competition and turnout is streaky. One time you get top performers in the sport, and another time it will be aspiring grip athletes. But, the performances in contest situations should qualify for something. And, I do agree with someone who stated that it ought to be several lifts, not just one. Just because someone "can close the 3" shouldn't be enough, as it is an overall grip contest.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• Jedd Johnson

• MalachiMcMullen

• vikingsrule92

i trained on the 2" v-bar for two months before Beatty's contest and when i went back to the 1" v-bar i will admit is sucked.

it takes awhile to get use to.

i agree with Eric. i would like to see a 1.5 in. v-bar compromise.

i trained on the 2" v-bar for two months before Beatty's contest and when i went back to the 1" v-bar i will admit is sucked.

DOM tubing comes in 1/8" increments - so the materials to make the different sizes is readily available. The only way to know is to make one up and pull on it a while.

DOM tubing comes in 1/8" increments - so the materials to make the different sizes is readily available. The only way to know is to make one up and pull on it a while.

You da man...make one and I will buy it from you and give it a pull. Let me know :rock

Edited by Too Tall

Hey Ryan, even you are caving in! I thought you said only Pussies didn't like the 1 Inch size. And Mikael MIA on the subject? What is the world coming to... :blink:D

You da man...make one and I will buy it from you and give it a pull. Let me know :rock

I'll get it made up right after the Holidays for you Chad.

What has been used in the past at Strongman qualifiers for nats & will work for eliminating the "small field" issue with the least work for promoters to track is the top 5 qualify at show 1, then at show 2, the top 5 who have not qualified at show 1. So say Chad, Aaron, Dave, Jedd & Ryan qualified at the BBB, then at (hypothetical) show 2 - Places were Jedd, Dave, Chris, Ben, me, Bob, Rick, then Chris, Ben, me, Bob, Rick qualify at show 2 & you have 10 qualified. and so forth.

Or you can just have an open nats & anyone can enter. Which might be best for the first few years to fill spots & keep it fun.

I think an open nationals would be a great idea until the sport gets a TON bigger. I don't see any reason why you want to keep anyone from competing. If armwrestling can have an open nationals with over 300 entries I don't see why grip can't handle 30 people for theirs.

"Hey Ryan, even you are caving in! I thought you said only Pussies didn't like the 1 Inch size. And Mikael MIA on the subject? What is the world coming to."

Lol, i know i know.

"Hey Ryan, even you are caving in! I thought you said only Pussies didn't like the 1 Inch size. And Mikael MIA on the subject? What is the world coming to."

Lol, i know i know.

That's because you're just a gecko, Klein :D

I think an open nationals would be a great idea until the sport gets a TON bigger. I don't see any reason why you want to keep anyone from competing. If armwrestling can have an open nationals with over 300 entries I don't see why grip can't handle 30 people for theirs.

Totally agree for 2 reasons:

1. Grip just isn't as big as we'd all like to think and the field of competitors is very small. Having to qualify for the Nats while the sport is so young would keep alot of people out and would probably stop alot of people from even spectating(myself included).

2. I REALLY want to go!!!

If we just let people compete without qualifying in some way, doesn't that just make it exactly the same as the last two GGC's?

I really like Beatty's last suggestion. Once someone qualifies, they don't qualify again. The people who have not yet qualified would qualify. i.e.

show 1. So say Chad, Aaron, Dave, Jedd & Ryan qualified at the BBB, then at (hypothetical) show 2 - Places were Jedd, Dave, Chris, Ben, me, Bob, Rick, then Chris, Ben, me, Bob, Rick qualify at show 2 & you have 10 qualified. and so forth.

That is very reasonable.

We could also do Wild Card qualifiers. For instance, reverse bending a bastard, DO bending an edgin, pinching 200 pounds, closing a 3.5, etc. Doing any of these feats, top 5 finish or not could qualify the person for a berth at Nationals.

If we just let people compete without qualifying in some way, doesn't that just make it exactly the same as the last two GGC's?

YES...it does...we need change :rock

I have mixed feelings here - on one hand I'd love everyone to get to compete and on the other hand - I think if you call it a National Championship - you should have to earn your right to be there like in all other strength sports. I can easily go either way but 30 guys of very unequal strength equals a 9 to 10 hour contest. We gripsters will do it but you're going to lose any spectators and or press coverage you might invite. In a contest of that length, results will slide for anyone - that is just to long for the CNS to remain excited without a crash - no matter who you are. I have spent three years competing at multiple contests each year trying to obtain a top 3 finish so I can hopefully get an invitation to the next Champion of Champions contest and just made it this year at GGC. I guess I like the standards idea over a certain finishing position due to reasons already stated. The advantage to standards is everyone can know what they are and what they have to reach to qualify - all you have to do is do those lifts at a recognized contest and you're in. I guess I believe that one must pay their dues to get to certain places in life and grip.

At Gripmas I did everything I could think of to make it beginners friendly (and will again next year)- I just don't see a Championship event in the same way.

We could also do Wild Card qualifiers. For instance, reverse bending a bastard, DO bending an edgin, pinching 200 pounds, closing a 3.5, etc. Doing any of these feats, top 5 finish or not could qualify the person for a berth at Nationals.

I love the Wild Card idea and wondered if that would be possible. Glad to hear it is being at least considered.

I love the Wild Card idea and wondered if that would be possible. Glad to hear it is being at least considered.

I too love that idea, it could also provide alittle bit of excitement come GGC time if that "Wild Card" guy is pretty much unknown. You'd have to set up a standard for each lift that could be contested.

I don't think many of the Wild Card guys will necessarily be unknowns. There might be some of them, like me, who have never pulled together good enough performances to get a top 5 placing, but who have the "on paper" strength to do it with the right conditions.

I don't think many of the Wild Card guys will necessarily be unknowns. There might be some of them, like me, who have never pulled together good enough performances to get a top 5 placing, but who have the "on paper" strength to do it with the right conditions.
I too love that idea, it could also provide alittle bit of excitement come GGC time if that "Wild Card" guy is pretty much unknown. You'd have to set up a standard for each lift that could be contested.

:D;)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I really like Beatty's last suggestion. Once someone qualifies, they don't qualify again. The people who have not yet qualified would qualify. i.e.

show 1. So say Chad, Aaron, Dave, Jedd & Ryan qualified at the BBB, then at (hypothetical) show 2 - Places were Jedd, Dave, Chris, Ben, me, Bob, Rick, then Chris, Ben, me, Bob, Rick qualify at show 2 & you have 10 qualified. and so forth.

That is very reasonable.

I like the don't qualify again rule and the wild card rule. Does the wild card feat have to be performed in a contest?

As for the differences between open nationals and the last two GGC's: Not to be a jack@ss but aren't you just renaming it anyway? It's not like the national champion qualifies for worlds (since we don't have one) or you're going to have special national champion events vs. ggc events. Qualifier or not won't the winner still be named national champion? I just hate to see anything that limits participation in our sport since it is so small at this point.

I like a qualifying feat method, aside from it would allow a one trick pony (such as myself) entry to the show. But on the other hand, it's not like someone like me will surprise everyone that actually trains regularly & pull out the win.

I like a qualifying feat method, aside from it would allow a one trick pony (such as myself) entry to the show. But on the other hand, it's not like someone like me will surprise everyone that actually trains regularly & pull out the win.

Well to negate that we could make a list of feats to be accomplished and you have to do 2 or 3 to qualify instead of just one. So that someone who's only good at grippers couldn't enter, they'd have to be good at something else as well.

That is very reasonable.

I like the don't qualify again rule and the wild card rule. Does the wild card feat have to be performed in a contest?

As for the differences between open nationals and the last two GGC's: Not to be a jack@ss but aren't you just renaming it anyway? It's not like the national champion qualifies for worlds (since we don't have one) or you're going to have special national champion events vs. ggc events. Qualifier or not won't the winner still be named national champion? I just hate to see anything that limits participation in our sport since it is so small at this point.

I guess the main difference is that the winner in 2008 will be thre first one to win in a tournament format.

In my opinion we also should think about the anvil's horn as an alternative to the v-bar. I think it is a great tool, much better than the v-bars!

That is very reasonable.

I guess the main difference is that the winner in 2008 will be thre first one to win in a tournament format.

Plus you'll be able to call yourself the US Grip Champion and it will mean a lot.