Us Championships - 2008

Jedd Johnson

I would like to announce my interest in promoting the US Grip Championships in 2008 at the Global Grip Challenge.

This is something I have spoken about with Smitty, Bob Lipinski and Chris Rice, among others.

The way I see this working is that to qualify for the Championship, you must finish 1 through 5 in a contest during the previous season. The season starts after GGC 2007 and goes until GGC 2008, which will be held in August. You must have competed in and placed top 5 in a contest.

To have the contest qualify, the promoter must contact me with their intentions to hold the event. My email address is jedd.diesel@gmail.com. I would like to have an announcement about the contest here, so that the athletes can best know when and where there might be a contest held near them.

Contests that would count as qualifiers that I know of up to this point.

Backyard Bastard Bash October 2007

Gripmas Carol December 2007

Tarheel Hands Of Steel February 2008

TPS Grip Assault 3 February 2008

Show Of Hands Grip Cup April 2008

Deep South Grip War April 2008 - Cancelled

Arizona Cactus Grip Showdown I - April 2008

Michigan Grip Championship - June 2008

Please email me if there are more contests that I am not aware of.

Events for the GGC this year will include but not limited to Calibrated Grippers, Two Hand Euro Pinch, either 1" or 2" Vbar, Reverse Bending. More details to come.

I welcome constructive feedback.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• Jedd Johnson

• MalachiMcMullen

• vikingsrule92

Michigan appears to be in June this year.

Sounds very cool Jedd! It only means that I'll have to either add another contest to my schedule in 2008, or just skip it. I was only planning on doing the GGC, but if I want to be in it I'll have to place top 5 in another contest. Fair enough rules to me.

This all sounds fair to me. Now I just have to finish at least 5th in the MGC... :fear

Sounds good Jedd.

Will GGC 2008 and the US Championships be the same thing? I was a little confused; thanks

Josh

Sounds awesome man!! I'm going to have to finish in the top 5 at Cactus Grip now!!!!

So does Chad's comp not count for a qualifier?

I'm pretty sure that has yet to be decided since Chad's is still several months out but if it's going to be as heavy as it sounds then it should count.

I'm pretty sure that has yet to be decided since Chad's is still several months out but if it's going to be as heavy as it sounds then it should count.

I would love for my comp to be a qualifier...and yes it will be HEAVY and there will be CASH to the winner :rock :rock :rock

Jedd add mine to the list "Deep South Grip War". It will be in April 08. Thanks

You guys might want to open up that top 5 requirement a little or you're probably going to have a pretty small field. Maybe that's what you want for Nationals? Just a suggestion.

You guys might want to open up that top 5 requirement a little or you're probably going to have a pretty small field. Maybe that's what you want for Nationals? Just a suggestion.

The same 5 guys placing in the Top 5 in 4 different contests, I had thought about that too.

I highly doubt it'll be the SAME five guys since the same 5 guys don't go to all of the competitions. However, i bet there will be some people who place in the top 5 in multiple comps. I think it'll probably be more like 20ish people total throughout 8 contests. Maybe a few more.

I think that these guys are right Jedd, taking the Top 5 from each comp would work if there were lots of comps going on with a great many more competitors than there are now. It always seems that if you, Chad, Dave, Ryan and so on go to a comp you'll come out in the top 5ish. Perhaps open it up to the top 8-10? At least at first to ensure a good # of competitors and then later on as the field grows you can cut it down to 5.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

It is a good point I will have to think about. Thanks Josh and the rest who echoed this.

I was thinking about the Top 5 requirement also. And it seems that a simple backup rule would take care of anyone that already secured their qualifying berth in the US championship. If someone has already placed top 5 in a contest, then their name could be taken out of the virtual pot and another person who got 6th (as long as they had not previously secured a 5th or higher placing) would be put on the list for the US Championship...

I was thinking about the Top 5 requirement also. And it seems that a simple backup rule would take care of anyone that already secured their qualifying berth in the US championship. If someone has already placed top 5 in a contest, then their name could be taken out of the virtual pot and another person who got 6th (as long as they had not previously secured a 5th or higher placing) would be put on the list for the US Championship...

That's another really good idea. That way we'd be guaranteed to have 40 people (8 comps) no matter what. It'd be hard to determine what comp people who placed 6th etc. came from though. If you could come up with a fair system to evenly distribute so it isn't weighted to one comp (hope everyone understands what I mean here) than this could work very well.

Great news, Jedd!

Eventually, if we decide on using a "total" system of scoring, we could have a qualifying total requirement for nationals. This would prevent an elite athlete who placed 6th at a highly competitive event from having to sit at home while a newbie who placed 5th at a contest consisting of 6 newbies from attending nationals.

My best gym lift on a 1" bar is better than my best 2" gym lift relative to what is considered good, but I still prefer contesting the 2" v-bar mainly because it seems far less likely to cause a skin tear. I've suggested it before, but a 1.5" might be a good compromise and offer the best of both worlds (low likelihood of skin tearing, while not favoring the larger handed individual too much). But something that Bob has mentioned before is the fact that a 2" v-bar offers less of an advantage for the big hand dude as would a 2" axle, relative to the 1" varieties. I think it has something to do with the way a v-bar is held more at angle and not perpendicularly as is an axle.

Great news, Jedd!

Eventually, if we decide on using a "total" system of scoring, we could have a qualifying total requirement for nationals. This would prevent an elite athlete who placed 6th at a highly competitive event from having to sit at home while a newbie who placed 5th at a contest consisting of 6 newbies from attending nationals.

My best gym lift on a 1" bar is better than my best 2" gym lift relative to what is considered good, but I still prefer contesting the 2" v-bar mainly because it seems far less likely to cause a skin tear. I've suggested it before, but a 1.5" might be a good compromise and offer the best of both worlds (low likelihood of skin tearing, while not favoring the larger handed individual too much). But something that Bob has mentioned before is the fact that a 2" v-bar offers less of an advantage for the big hand dude as would a 2" axle, relative to the 1" varieties. I think it has something to do with the way a v-bar is held more at angle and not perpendicularly as is an axle.

I vote 2" V bar...I like it better too :rock

I personally like 2" much better , it doesn't tear my hand up and I actually feel like I'm getting a workout not just abusing my hand. That said, I would vote for 1" as it eliminates any handsize issues.

I have a good idea for qualifying which would get rid of most subjectivity.

Make a list of "qualifying lifts", and have someone be able to do 2/3 of the standard lifts (gripper, pinch, vbar), or 3 out of 5 of an expanded list.

For example, closing a #3 gripper, pinch 180, vbar 300. 2 out of 3 in a contest and you are in. Those standards are pretty good.

Great news, Jedd!

I have a good idea for qualifying which would get rid of most subjectivity.

Make a list of "qualifying lifts", and have someone be able to do 2/3 of the standard lifts (gripper, pinch, vbar), or 3 out of 5 of an expanded list.

For example, closing a #3 gripper, pinch 180, vbar 300. 2 out of 3 in a contest and you are in. Those standards are pretty good.

Great news, Jedd!

Both of these are good ideas for qualifiers. Hmmm....