Us Championships - 2008

Jedd Johnson

I'm just kidding of course, but that event is somewhat wacky. I'm all for medleys where you must move something over a distance, but a one-arm waddle seems a bit too risky.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• Jedd Johnson

• MalachiMcMullen

• vikingsrule92

Josh,

Thanks for your kind comment, but I'm not the athlete I was, especially with my arm like it is now after the surgery.

Anyway, we used to change events every year in the past, and have used all sorts of wierd and wonderful events in the past and it was always fun to train for these from scratch. As you can see here-

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/gripcontests.html

But times have changed, and now comps are a bit more formulised. Nothing wrong with this.

But next years Champion of Champions is very different, and the events are done so the comp runs quickly, and looks good. Also believe me it will be a very hard comp, and I must admit I can't wait to see the 2 athletes moving with their heavy One hand Duck Walks over 25 metres! :D

Anyway, the try-out is in a couple of weeks and we'll know a lot more.

David

I like new events...sounds cool to me David :rock

It is meant to be a hard comp, and if you can't do the distance, which many won't, then the distance will be measured.

It'll be cool.

I've seen Nick walking with the Dinnie, after lifting all the other stones, while it rained on us!

Chad,

You'll love it!

You will be right at the top of the bunch at the end of this comp next year, without a doubt.

I am all for different events. I held one MI comp that was all standard stuff, but it wasn't what I like to do. A couple standard events, then a few different things. I never go too crazy, but I always like to try something a little different.

You are right Josh, for the most part. I only made top 5 at my comp because of the hammers.

I'd like to see a US Steel Bending Championship incorporating the different styles. That way all energy could be focused on the bending. Bending seems to be eclipsing pinching, thickbar and perhaps even grippers in interest level anyway.

That would be interesting to see.

What I'd also like to see, going in the other direction, is a "Fundamental Hand Strength" championship. Grippers don't correlate well with fundamental hand strength (supporting/pinch), and bending is not so much a test of grip strength as it is a test of other things. So the events for such a contest might look like this:

Axle DL

Euro pinch

2" V-bar (one hand)

Loading medley

Wide pinch block hold for time (both hands)

-Rex

Sounds like a handsize championship to me :D

I'm going to take that one step further and say that sounds like an "everything Rex thinks he's good at" comp. :D Seems like just a little bias there Rexy, but given that it seems bending is more popular right now then pretty much all of the other events combined, I'd say it wouldn't work.

I still say even though the U.S. is FAR bigger then the UK an all bending comp would still work, I don't see how it would be any different then in the UK. People would have to travel farther yes, but they do that for BBB, GGC, etc., why couldn't people do that for this?

Edited by vikingsrule92

what are the events for the bending comp? Is it different lengths, different style? that would take a lot of money to set up enough steel. that might be an issue as well. However, if it was at all close to me I would go.

in the UK they seem to have a longer history of running the comps. Maybe that's something that will start to happen here in another couple of years. You could always make it happen yourself. we need more people holding comps for the sport to grow. I'm trying to figure out a location myself.

brent

Edited by barbe705

Bending wouldn't be bad. John Beatty has always been helpful with bending contests, and there are places for very very cheap stock if you want it.

Events:

Unbraced-

Freestyle

Reverse

Double underhand

Braced-

8-14"

>14-29" maybe

The first four events are VERY doable and affordable. Take entry fees beforehand or buy stuff that you will use later so that you aren't breaking your bank or wasting money.

Haha. A strong man will do it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not afraid of it.

I'm going to take that one step further and say that sounds like an "everything Rex thinks he's good at" comp. :D Seems like just a little bias there Rexy, but given that it seems bending is more popular right now then pretty much all of the other events combined, I'd say it wouldn't work.

I don't think I'm good at Axle DL or V-bar, despite what others might claim. In fact, I think I have much more raw talent when it comes to bending. You should know about this first-hand.

-Rex

I don't think I'm good at Axle DL or V-bar, despite what others might claim. In fact, I think I have much more raw talent when it comes to bending. You should know about this first-hand.

-Rex

I would like to step in here at this point and ask people to please calm down a bit. I am all for competition, believe me, but the mid slinging and bickering and bragging - please cut that stuff out.