The American Guido!

carusom1

Have you tried pacing it more? Like spreading the reps out in order to conserve for a more steady pace...

Actually, screw that, just hit it hard. It's a lot like making love to a woman.

So you've been told.

Mike hes got a good point though. When I go for reps with a weight I cant press for the entire 60seconds I quit 1 or 2 reps before im completely gassed. It seems alot easier to come back and hit a few more after that than trying to hit just one more maybe 2 after being completely gassed. it takes some self control because you wanna just go until you cant but it works. Or maybe in training its better to just do what you do.. who knows.

I don't feel physically exhaused and I still have more left in the press. Its more that I get winded and feel like I can't catch my breath. Probably b/c lack of conditioning. In Utah the weight will be at 280. Though lbstone had 75sec, I will see if I can give him a some what run for his money, ha.

Have you tried pacing it more? Like spreading the reps out in order to conserve for a more steady pace...

Actually, screw that, just hit it hard. It's a lot like making love to a woman.

So you've been told.

Mike hes got a good point though. When I go for reps with a weight I cant press for the entire 60seconds I quit 1 or 2 reps before im completely gassed. It seems alot easier to come back and hit a few more after that than trying to hit just one more maybe 2 after being completely gassed. it takes some self control because you wanna just go until you cant but it works. Or maybe in training its better to just do what you do.. who knows.

I don't feel physically exhaused and I still have more left in the press. Its more that I get winded and feel like I can't catch my breath. Probably b/c lack of conditioning. In Utah the weight will be at 280. Though lbstone had 75sec, I will see if I can give him a some what run for his money, ha.

Somebody better tape that!!!!

Farmers:

165 x 80 ft

235 x 60 ft (8.0s)

305 x 60 ft (8.7s)

335 x 60 ft (12.9s)

Yoke:

240 x 80 ft

440 x 80 ft

580 x 80 ft

700 x 60 ft (8.6??s)

Farmer Hold:

345x30s

Yes!

Stretch

Shoulder Series

Single Arm DB Push Press (R&L):

2x5x100

2x6x120

Keg Press:

160x4

225x6

Stones:

over 51" bar

singles 230, 230, 295, 340, 325, 420

340x7 (~60s)

Stretch

Edited by carusom1

Tire:

W/U 840x3

840x 8 flips (48.5s)

840x 8 flips (43.7s)

Brought the time down a bit, feels good.

14" Car Dead:

W/U doubles 370, 470 + green & purple, 560 + green & purple,

650 + green & purple, 750 + green and purple

850 + green x 11 (60s)

700 x 8

Thank god this is the last week of event training! Really need a break from event training 4 days a week. Taking the last week off should be a nice taper.

Some very suspect lockouts there.

Definetely, I've talked to him about it and he has elbow issues I believe so in training, he's a bit liberal with the lockouts.

That would make sense then. Not to brag about Mike :D , but Brouse you should see his one-motions lately. Besides the sets and reps he has posted, the fluidity of the movement is extremely impressive.

Chris- I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Today was Gomer Guber day at the Wellness Center. Buoy's and Ankle weights

Shoulder Series

12" lob clean and press (one motion):

W/U 185, 235

285x10 (57s)

think I could have hit 11 if I really pushed it; PR on reps

Axle Press:

sets of 4 strict 125, 215, 245

push press 270x4, 305x3

Iso Cable Row

Face Pulls

Int & Ext Cable Rotations

Stretch

The other AM's arent gonna know what him them on the log press. Is the log first or second day?

The other AM's arent gonna know what him them on the log press. Is the log first or second day?

First day - First Event

Today was Gomer Guber day at the Wellness Center. Buoy's and Ankle weights

Mike, why would use the buoy instead of the pole?

Farmers:

W/U 165, 255

320x60ft (10.8s)

Yoke:

W/U 240, 440, 580

825x60ft (12.9s)

Stretch

Today was a bit slow; back is tired. Still positive overall!

Farmers:

W/U 165, 255

320x60ft (10.8s)

Yoke:

W/U 240, 440, 580

825x60ft (12.9s)

Stretch

Today was a bit slow; back is tired. Still positive overall!

Limited warm-ups - good.

Last day of event training

Shoulder Series

Ran through the medleys today.

Pressing with DB @ 100, 120

Keg Pressing w/ 160,225,255

Load Medley:

W/U Sled Drag 300, 575 x 60ft

250 Husafel 30 ft / 345 Husafel 30ft / 575 Sled drag x 60ft

250 Husafel 30ft / 345 Husafel 30ft

Stretch

Clean / Hang Clean / Press / Push Press :

worked with weights from 135 to 275.

Curls

35 to 55

just to get a blood in

Good taper this week.

Here we go! :rock

Good job my man.. Only thing left to do is eat good and rest. Believe in yourself. you have everything it takes to win this.

First of all, I have to congratulate John Shuna on becoming the 2008 LW National Champion! Awesome, I knew he could do it!!!

Nats Day 1

Yoke:

800-810 60ft 9.72s

My goal here was for a sub 10s run. Did so and was off to a good start.

Some guy in front of me toke the run at 8.57. This was one of the sickest things I saw all day. So then Nick Best is prowling up and down the AMs competitor area and says he can do better (granted Nick is very good at yoke). He ends up with 8.8 seconds. Then he says he wasn’t warmed up enough,… well Nick did not open up his mouth or try to beat anyone else’s best for the remainder of the AMATEUR contest. :blush

Farmers:

335 60ft ~16s

Since they increased the weight 10lbs my goal was to make the distance without a drop and have a half way decent time. I did drop with about 10ft to go, re-picked and finished out. This weight was very close if not my max at this distance so I knew it was going to be close. This continues to be my worst event placing and though I have improved throughout the year I still need even more improvement yet on this event!

Tire:

800-825 60ft ~41s

My goal was a sub 40 second run but was not to be. The tire wasn’t terribly difficult but had a little footing and slope issues that cost me a few seconds. This event also needs improved on speed.

Log Clean and Press:

280 x 10 reps

My goal was 11 reps despite that fact that no one was even close to that. The log ended up being 10” and was very slippery. This made it more difficult to one motion so 11 reps will have to wait. Someone had pointed out to me that this may be a AM record as Tom McClure did 8 or 9 reps when he won Nats a few years back.

Stones:

360 x 4 reps (over 52” bar)

My goal was 6 plus reps. This was the most disappointing event of the contest. In training I was hitting better numbers and had the strength to do so. I went last and by the time I got to the stone it was covered in little bits of the matting making the pick an absolute bitch fest. At the rules meeting they said we could clean off the stone as needed. When I asked them to clean it off, the response I got was NO. Like a field at play, the conditions should not change throughout competition but that is exactly was happens to the frigging stone the more it is used. Alright alright…

Nats Day 2

Press Medley:

315 Barbell / 300 Log / 280 Axle / 120 DB ~22s

The medley was changed some but my goal remained the same and that was just to put up the fastest time.

Car Dead:

Um, heavy as BALLS x 6 reps

Ok, I’m not sure how heavy this was (maybe like a 700 trap bar dead) but it killed me. Besides improving my grip strength my number 1 goal this year is to get my deadlift up. Have to pull big if you want to compete with the pros. I wouldn’t say my deadlift is a weak event but still needs to go up quite a bit.

Block Load Truck Push Medley:

250 block / 275 block / truck push ~32s

At this point I was just pissed off and wanted to win this event. I left everything I had out there on this event and felt like I was going to puke for an hour afterwards. I think the guy who toke 2nd was more than 3 seconds behind my time. As we didn’t really train this I didn’t know what to expect. Watching the other competitors I knew I was faster than any of them but couldn’t make a mistake when picking the blocks. During warm-ups I dropped one of the blocks on my foot and didn’t want this to happen again :blink

Overall, won 3 events and finished out in 3rd place (7 points behind 1st). I still have a lot of work ahead of me in some areas if I want to be competitive as a pro. I will take my weaknesses head on and continue to improve within this sport. Seeing the competition I have before me and watching John win his pro card just motivates me further to be successful in strongman.

Once again, congratulations to John! Watching John go into the last event and push ahead for the win was by far the biggest highlight of the entire weekend! John of course had a very modest celebration. I was going crazy and John is just casually hanging out after becoming a national champion (though he has been a national champ before so…

:D ).

Good shit.

Mcclure got 8 reps in '05 and it was most definitely a 12" log

Why did so many people 0 on the stone???

8 second yokes.. what the hell is going on.

Did you have to clean the 315 barbell?

Edited by Chris Mathison

Log Clean and Press:

280 x 10 reps

Someone had pointed out to me that this may be a AM record as Tom McClure did 8 or 9 reps when he won Nats a few years back.

You beat the ASC pro record too.

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/NAS_Inc_..._records_08.pdf

Poundstone had 75 seconds, where the rules clearly state there must be a 60 second time limit. I don't think anyone else has done 280x10+ in an ASC contest that meets all the rules for records (Wessels have to be there, 60 second time limit, etc).

You also passed the old IFSA world record, in less time:

http://www.ifsastrongman.com/ifsawr/

You won the press medley by over 6 seconds, 2nd place took 27% longer to finish;

and the load and pull medley by over 3 seconds, 2nd place took 10% longer to finish.

In comparison, the guy that won the yoke won by less than a second. The Farmer's winner was by .3 seconds, and tire winner was by .03 seconds. Stones was a tie, and DL was won by only 1 rep.

So, in the events you won, you won big.

Just stroking your ego a little bit.