Wraps/padding

gazza

No standard wraps, just bend big steel.

This type of attitude is what makes the BBB contests so great and is one of the reasons they fill up so quick :mosher .

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gazza

• dimmers

• Tim71

• boland magyar

Coming from yet another total newb to bending I'll have to say that it's plenty good as is. If you can use tiny wraps or bare hand it like gazza then power to ya, I try that sometimes. Different strokes for different folks works the best, I say that videoing the wrapping is the only standard really needed.

and I'll definetly agree with Beatty

"No standard wraps, just bend big steel"

I'll throw in my two cents and say everthing is fine the way it is. Personally I have to use thick leather wraps because i have two avulsion fractures in my hand the the pain from using skinny wraps isn't worth it.

Gary what do you think on this topic..

Rob

It doesnt really matter what i think now :D as it went down like a lead balloon anyway :D i would have thought that a few more seasoned benders might have contributed as with 20-21 different people have aired there opinions yet theres 400 views still ill leave it alone as its obviously not worth the effort :calm

You asked what do i think plenty but i will keep it to myself i will use an example of were i am comeing from and a recent example at that [ yesterday ] i was sent a package from Aaron in it was a 7 inch x 7/16" piece of stainless and 2 x 7inch

fbbc KOAB bars which Aaron told me ERIC calibrated at 780lbs so probably the toughest KOAB bars calibrated to date.

So i decided to do what others are doing with great success use big wraps chalk and elastic bands my hands are still sore from the barehanded bends i did not long ago the 1st 7inch koab bars bent in just over 3mins i wasnt going for speed just easing into the bar and taking a few rests inbetween hits felt really easy in the bigger wraps only slight pain with the pressure of the poundage and a bit on the indexes were the padding does not protect as well the way i bend felt alot easier than a 780lbs bar then i cut 1inch off the 2nd koab bars and that went in about the same time and also felt quite easy both bars felt alot easier than the fbbc KOASB bars i took about 2 1/2 mins rest between bends.

I am not belittleing others bending accomplishments who use bigger wraps than i do so make of this information what you will :D

Great bending Gazza. It's still one of those things that if you want to bend the biggest steel, go with what allows you to bend the biggest steel, at least in my mind. If a contest setting only allowed a certain diameter of wrap, then that's how someone should train. As it stands now you could wrap 2 pillows around a bar and it wouldn't be illegal at the BBB and that's cool. It's been said a hundred times before but it bears repeating: Pain tolerance is also a big factor in the thickness of wraps that are chosen. And if someone prefers very frequent bending sessions, like I used to (sometimes every day or multiple times per day and every day), then they'll probably gravitate to the thicker wraps.

Case in point is my current bending. I don't bend nearly as often as I used to. So when I do bend DO I have started to use my double pads again. That is the thick leather and then a pair of Ironmind Pads on top of that. Using the thicker pads again has actually helped me increase my flexbility quickly on the 7" bends to the point where when I take the IMP off it feels like I've got flexibility to spare. I was focused on the shorter bends for a while and it kicked my 7" bends in the ass pretty bad. But a few weeks of using the thick pads again and it's back. So those wanting to work on their flexibility might start using thicker pads AND slightly overlength stock (longer than goal length) in their training if they want to speed progress up.

Just bent a Mag Shiny equivalent 8mms x 5inch stainless steel in big pads[ 1 1/4" when rolled round a 5/16" bar ] with chalk and elastic bands DU Style it was a suprisingly easy bend.

You asked what do i think plenty but i will keep it to myself

See when have you ever kept things to yourself? I've read many of post of you talking telling what you think (the locked posts back in 04 bending vs folding', the thread you started when Clay and Pat got into it and What constitutes as a world record bend earlier this year)

You started the thread to get peoples opinions, whether it's good or bad (as long as it wasn't flaming or had profanity). You did give a very run-around the bush type answer so as to not step on anyones toes but again that isn't why this thread was created. You started it to give direct opinions so in honor of your topic you started I think it's only right for you to give a direct answer whether it be good or bad.

I honestly want to hear it, it probably won't be something I like but again.. When you started a thread about Bending DO style you and Mikael really didn't worry about stepping on each others toes

Rob

I am off to work in 5mins so i will answer your post when i come home later this afternoon and you are right you probably wont like what i am going to say :whistel

a stupid question from a newbie, but why can you only cert on a red using im wraps ???

boland

IM pads cause more pain when bending big steel, makes it harder to get certed i suppose. Give them a go and you'll see what i mean.

youdimmers......is that a good thing or a bad ?

has everyone who has cert on a red used these wraps ?

boland

I think (someone correct me if i'm wrong here) that IM used to allow leather wraps to be used when certing for the Red, but then introduced the use of the IM pads to make things more difficult.

I have some IM wraps and they do make bending more difficult (DO style) in my opinion. They offer very little leverage on the kink.

you'll just have to try them out and see what you think though.

Padding is not something I give a lot of thought to except as protection for my hands. I'm not now nor do I intend to become a bending specilist. Guys like Gazza, Pat, and the other big benders seem to use a little less padding than average. Their technique is no doubt better, their hands tougher and able to handle the stress and pain better perhaps, and they all seem to agree they get a better transfer of force with less padding. Does that mean we all should do it that way - probably not - less for one may be different than another. At what point does the stiffness add an amount of leverage that is unacceptable? Soft material that is pretty thick may not add as much as a harder or stiffer material that is much thinner so thickness alone may not be so important. Just judging by what I can read, leather between 1" and 1 1/4" seems to be the average. Is that too much - heck I don't know but as many benders as we have here, if that's what everyone has come up with as the most popular size, then it's OK with me.

As a bit of an outside when it comes to bending, surely type/thickness of padding is vital when comparing any bends - and as not not letting bending become a matter of pain tolerance, isn't that the only reason thicker/better padding is used?

Rob

I am off to work in 5mins so i will answer your post when i come home later this afternoon and you are right you probably wont like what i am going to say :whistel

Was looking forward to the post Gazza?!? :unsure

Rob

Reading from his post about his bends with thicker pads I have an idea with what he is going to say. He is going to say that thicker pads make the bend easier.

As for not liking what he is going to say, personally like I said I am a nobody. I agree that thicker padding makes the bend easier because of leverage from the bar. I cannot bend a grade 8 with just IM pads, the only goal with IM pads I want to do is bend a Red, the end.

Rob

Reading from his post about his bends with thicker pads I have an idea with what he is going to say. He is going to say that thicker pads make the bend easier.

As for not liking what he is going to say, personally like I said I am a nobody. I agree that thicker padding makes the bend easier because of leverage from the bar. I cannot bend a grade 8 with just IM pads, the only goal with IM pads I want to do is bend a Red, the end.

Gazza is leaps and bounds ahead of everybody else when it comes to bending. That said, no disresepect to Gazza but I won't place too much stock in what he says about thick pads because of this quote of his from another thread.

"A little of both i try and find the most comfortable position in my palms as it hurts then makes the fingers go numb thats why i shake my hands alot to try and get bloodflow and the circulation back "

Uhhh..negative, Ghostrider; I'll continue to use my thickpads and keep the use of my hands. I want to bend big steel, not damage myself. If using thickpads and rubberbands makes my bends less impressive, well I can live with that.

" I remember starting out bending using towels, washcloths, old wrist straps, work gloves & whatever else wouldn't hurt.

- bending big steel already hurts enough, I think. It's not a test of pain tolerance, in my mind, just of strength.

No standard wraps, just bend big steel."

Thats exactly it, its not about the wraps its more about the strength it takes and the attempt at not getting hurt, when I first started I was only bending for a few months if that and for my birthday my buddy bill,fatboy, got a small box of nails and that night i tried one, (and at the time I didnt have any good wraps I used cut up pieces of jeans), well at just about 90 degrees it ripped through the wraps and stabbed my hand, it wasnt fun and it hurt alot, and from tha day on I use fairly thick wraps. I have a scare to remind me to protect myself, this is no game and people can get really hurt, we need some decent protection.

Rob

Gazza is leaps and bounds ahead of everybody else when it comes to bending. That said, no disresepect to Gazza but I won't place too much stock in what he says about thick pads because of this quote of his from another thread.

"A little of both i try and find the most comfortable position in my palms as it hurts then makes the fingers go numb thats why i shake my hands alot to try and get bloodflow and the circulation back "

Josh that quote is from my no "LIMITS" thread about a barehanded bend so the comparisons a little unfair i think :D but yes when i do use very small wraps [ 5inch ones ] and hard stock i do get alot of pain and numbness in the hands/fingers as well especially on the very short stuff but to me its all about exploreing how far i can push my bending and at the same time my pain tolerance for that particular disipline its not about just seeing how much pain i can take as there would be better ways to explore that avenue bending steel and pain go hand in hand when i can bend a hard bar for me with no pain then its not much of an accomplishment to me its not just to end up with a bent bar the journey of getting there and getting to know how the MIND and BODY react to that along the way is why i bend.

Uhhh..negative, Ghostrider; I'll continue to use my thickpads and keep the use of my hands. I want to bend big steel, not damage myself. If using thickpads and rubberbands makes my bends less impressive, well I can live with that.

HOW can i stand here an compare myself with PAT,BIG STEVE,GREG & DAVE etc if i am were to use alot bigger wraps/padding than those people and how can i try and duplicate or exceed PATS standards if i dont use similar methods EG:- Thin wraps no/very little chalk and no elastic bands i certainly dont want to be held in the same light or referred to as equal to these guys if i used different methods/materials :calm

HOW can i stand here an compare myself with PAT,BIG STEVE,GREG & DAVE etc if i am were to use alot bigger wraps/padding than those people and how can i try and duplicate or exceed PATS standards if i dont use similar methods EG:- Thin wraps no/very little chalk and no elastic bands i certainly dont want to be held in the same light or referred to as equal to these guys if i used different methods/materials :calm

Gazza, we can all compare ourselves to these immortals because they were free to use the same wraps that we are using. They just chose not to for some reason. If they can bend bigger stuff with thicker wraps, then power to them. Talk is...

Gazza, we can all compare ourselves to these immortals because they were free to use the same wraps that we are using. They just chose not to for some reason. If they can bend bigger stuff with thicker wraps, then power to them. Talk is...

Gazza, Ben, et all,

If I may chime in here about some of these guys' wraps. My wraps were kindly given to me by Greg and they are the same wraps he uses and 1" in diameter when wrapped around 5/16" steel. At BBB1 BigSteve DU bent that Grand standing 3 ft in front of me and I had the pleasure of sitting by him and chatting with the legend for much of the contest. I'm pretty sure his wraps were similar to Greg's and mine.

Gazza, a man has to do what makes him feel good and proper !! But don't sell yourself short, mate ! You just bent a Shiny Mag equiv. DU and that is awesome.

The sport awaits watching you superstars bend harder and harder stuff and further expand the records in DU and reverse as well as DO.

.. neilkaz ..