new to bending, best bend is a 5/16''x5'' bolt

short term -

5.5'' red

get better at the longer stuff

med term -

7'' red and cert.

long term -

3/8''x6'' bolt

Not to hold you back or anything, but there is a major difference between that 5" 5/16" bolt you've bent and a 5.5" Red...

Good luck anyway ;)

Short term:

- 6" bastard DO Done

- 6" G8 Reverse

- 13" 1/2" HRS Braced Done

- 7" 10mm HRS DO

Mid term:

- 6" 10mm HRS DO

- Red Nail Reverse

- 12" 1/2" HRS Braced Done

Long term:

- 6" 10mm Square HRS DO

- 6" Red Nail Reverse

- 10" 1/2" HRS Braced

Waiting with the new reversion until my order from FBBC comes in, I can't really tell on the hex and shiny bastards yet since I've never bent them...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gazza

• Tim71

• Alawadhi

• acorn

Top Posters In This Topic

MOAB in stainless Square :whistel

:blink Crazy, you'll do it though, I'm sure of it!

I guess my short term goal would be to get back to bending some 1/4" stock

Long term, a 5" red and cert.

Short term: to do a bastard cert on the hard dark ones (only ones I've got...typical when I'm ready for it :D )

Long term: to scroll the Eiffel tower

My short term goal is to bend a G8

My mid-term goal is to become a certified bastard

My long term goal includes No Limits (Yes, I know I am stealing the phrase)

my short term is the triangle g5@6" would also like to get the 5.5" version. getting close to it.doesn't sound like much but it is the level i am at. also want to get the g5@6" in reverse,can warp it currently.

long term i would like the 1/4" square and the bastard and maybe the red.not looking any further than that right now.

bent a grade 8 at 6'' today in IM wraps. Guess this isn't that far away from the red. So i am going to make a red cert my short term goal now.

I've read this thread for quite some time and now that my DO form is finally starting to be dialed in, suprising me a lot with how well I ended up doing this past Saturday, I will list some of my goals. I don't know if I should specifically refer to them as ultimate goals, for it implies permanence, retirement if you will.

Short Term:

Bend and get certified on IM-Red using DO

Get certified on FBBC-Bastard using DO (bent my first this Saturday)

Medium Term:

150 x 60d in 6 months, and 200 x 60d in 1 year

Same as short-term goals, but by using DU technique instead

Long Term:

DO bend an entire 50# box worth (500+ count) of bright common 60d nails

DO bend 100 x 70d nails (whichever is the easiest of the 5/16" thick nails at that time when I'm ready)

Now, I have other goals, which are not easy to determine in terms of how much training time I could expect to invest, as the steel is of considerable strength. Here they are, and unless said otherwise, all bends are DO:

7" x 5/16" G8

7" x 5/16" Square FBBC

7" x 5/16" G5

7" x 3/8" round FBBC

Some would correctly point out that when looking at Eric Milfeld's excellent calibration chart, there are plenty of in-between steel pieces amongst the four listed here, of varying lengths, SS versus regular steel, hex vs round vs square, etc. I chose these because they are easy to remember. Who knows what the big dogs like Gazza will be doing when I do get all of those. I can't wait to see what happens.

Edited by Brad Manion

• 2 weeks later...

In no particular order and all done DO style.

4.5inch edgin

4inch edgin

3/8inch x 6.5inch g5

3/8inch x 6inch g5

MOAB regular or stainless!

Figured i might have a few of these bends in me before i hang up my DO wraps then i will see what i can do with the other styles.

In no particular order and all done DO style.

4.5inch edgin

4inch edgin

3/8inch x 6.5inch g5

3/8inch x 6inch g5

MOAB regular or stainless!

Figured i might have a few of these bends in me before i hang up my DO wraps then i will see what i can do with the other styles.

How about the G8 edgins?

I've seen one at David's place that Pat bent to approx. 3" meaning that s*cker must be really strong compared to the G5 edgins ;)

I am not Gazza but I am sure he is capable of the 5/16 G8 which isn't as hard as his best bends.

I have done a 5/16" x 7" g8 in the past i would like to take a shot at a 6incher would definately have to remove the threads and head off a bolt that tough and short cause if it snapped then probably a career ending injury there a lot of power being used to start a bolt that tough.

If i can get the 4.5inch edgin i might take a crack at one of those big g8s cut i feel that and a 3/8inch g5 bolt would be a nice bolt worthy of Thors Rock :D

I have done a 5/16" x 7" g8 in the past i would like to take a shot at a 6incher would definately have to remove the threads and head off a bolt that tough and short cause if it snapped then probably a career ending injury there a lot of power being used to start a bolt that tough.

If i can get the 4.5inch edgin i might take a crack at one of those big g8s cut i feel that and a 3/8inch g5 bolt would be a nice bolt worthy of Thors Rock :D

Hell yeah!

I would be happy with the 3/8" G2 bolt already I think ;)

• 5 months later...
My short term goal is to bend a G8

My mid-term goal is to become a certified bastard

My long term goal includes No Limits (Yes, I know I am stealing the phrase)

I know this is an old thread, but I think it's fascinating seeing everyone's progress, and thought I'd update myself: Not only have I bent a G8, I did one in IM pads in under a minute yesterday. Also, I am the 69th certified bastard...both of those goals done :sleep

So...

New Short Term Goals: Huge Bastard, Big Golden (maybe next week?)

Mid-term: Red Nail Cert, Edgin, Shiny, Hex (This year?)

Long Term: KOAB, Mag Shiny :cool (No Limits!)

Edited by The Writer

Well I didn't ever respond to this before so,

Short Term

shiny bastard

bastard in everyway

bastard in IM wraps

braced

12" x 1/2" hrs

diamond PL1 bronco shoe to 180

dc1 to heart

7/8" x 48" hrs

finish raven scroll!

Long Term

3/8" Shiny and 5/16" f911

Reverse and DU edgin

shiny + edgin in everyway

Bare hand bastard and maybe stainless someday

Braced

maybe 8" x 1/2" hrs, 5/8" x 16" hrs, 3/4" x 24"

some stainless stuff, not sure on size #'s yet I need to work with it more.

Big ass 1/2" draft shoe

Scroll a barbell, I think it's long enough to get multiple long bar bends in it.

As for the artistic scrolls, maybe a life size stainless steel tiger? That sounds like fun.

Long term: to scroll the Eiffel tower

What kind of scroll? A scale one or what? There is actually not allot of bending in that thing in the general layout of it, the cross bracing would be tedious if you want allot of detail though. Any reason that structure in particular? I bet you could make allot of that already, you are an awesome braced bender Mats, you should get started on it if you are serious.

Somewhere inbetween:-cert on ironmind red nail but do one in each style DO,DU and Reverse.
Have you tried this yet, G?

Guest NailBender
I'd like to hear what your goals are. I'm especially interested in what your ultimate goal would be. I'm talking about what's humanly possible but the odds are against ever acheiving it. Whats possible though not railroad spikes in the teeth stuff.

Also, what are your short term, mid-term and long term (that you probably will get) and lastly the ultimate, "wow if I could bend that" goal. My current PR is a black "JH" G5 which is noticibly harder than the triangle ones I have:

My short term goals is the Grade 8 / grade 9/ 5/16 hot rolled.

My mid goals would be a 70d nail I have / Red nail FBBC 5/16.

My long-term goal is a 5/16 Grade 5 bolt.

And my ultimate, hope I get it goal, is a 80d nail unbraced. I have a brand of 80d that is extra tough and looks mean just sitting there. To me those look absolutely awesome when bent, which isn't very often. I'd even settle for braced on this one.

Also, a really tough 10" wrench would be in there somewhere too. And I'd love to bend a 7/8" by 48" long bar.

Even though new to bending I do have short and long term goals:

short term: Stay injury free, 60D shiny

looooong term: IM Red cert.

NailBender (Joe Musselwhite)

Let's hear what yours are!

Tim

I'd like to hear what your goals are. I'm especially interested in what your ultimate goal would be. I'm talking about what's humanly possible but the odds are against ever acheiving it. Whats possible though not railroad spikes in the teeth stuff.

Also, what are your short term, mid-term and long term (that you probably will get) and lastly the ultimate, "wow if I could bend that" goal. My current PR is a black "JH" G5 which is noticibly harder than the triangle ones I have:

My short term goals is the Grade 8 / grade 9/ 5/16 hot rolled.

My mid goals would be a 70d nail I have / Red nail FBBC 5/16.

My long-term goal is a 5/16 Grade 5 bolt.

And my ultimate, hope I get it goal, is a 80d nail unbraced. I have a brand of 80d that is extra tough and looks mean just sitting there. To me those look absolutely awesome when bent, which isn't very often. I'd even settle for braced on this one.

Also, a really tough 10" wrench would be in there somewhere too. And I'd love to bend a 7/8" by 48" long bar.

Even though new to bending I do have short and long term goals:

short term: Stay injury free, 60D shiny

looooong term: IM Red cert.

NailBender (Joe Musselwhite)

I'm quite new to bending, just bent my first steel around Christmas. Best bends so far include 60D nail from Home Depot, M8 (European stuff) bolt cut to 5 inch, 6x6mm square CRS cut to 4 inch. I don't know if my current goals will be reached within short/long term but I want to bend a Bastard DO and reverse (not doing DU currently).

Hmm, I'll have to reconsider these now.

Short Term:

Big Shiny

Edgin

Grand Hex

Grand Golden

Mag Bastard

80d

3/4" x 48" Braced

Mid:

Huge Shiny

Mag Hex

Mag Golden

6.5" Edgin

6" Edgin

Insane Bastard

1/2" x 16" HRS

5/8" x 30" HRS

Long Term

KOAB

Big G8

5" Edgin

Mag Shiny

Insane Hex

Insane Golden

1/2" x 10" HRS

To bend steel previously considered unbendable!! :rock :rock

i'll add my .02:

S/term

reverse

G8

M/term

7''x1/4'' SQ

L/term

Bastard

really L/term

shiny bastard

have other bending goals.......but these will do for now!

Short term goals for me are:

Get healthy

Red nail cert

grand hex

big shiny

5/16x7 G5

Mid term goals:

.358 drill rod

Insane bastard

Red reverse

Huge shiny

Mag Hex

Long term goals:

.375 drill rod

King bast

Big King bast

5/16 sq

2reds taped together

- Aaron

Making some progress. Also finished off the .368 drill rod last night. Need to get some of the .375 drill rod to try out. Also put a wobble in the 5/16 sq

Gonna add a couple goals to this

Short term

6" edgin

6" 570# 3/8

6.5" 590 3/8

7x11/32 SS

7x5/16 G8

grand shiny

6.5 x5/16 SS Sq

Mid term

Mag Shiny

insane Hex