California Contest?

RKlein

Steve January works great for me. Thank you so very much, I had so much fun last year I would hate not making it this year.

Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie... Are you really a 49er fan or are you just trying to stir the pot and get a rise out of me. Anyway, I look forward to lifting with you this weekend.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handgripperman

• supermagnamon

• Hubgeezer

• RKlein

So any word on the final list of exercises? Being the runt of the litter means I have to train as specifically as I can to have any real chance here. Maybe I'll just go balls out on ONE lift in hopes of placing... what's everyone's worst event?

Edited by urbandruid

Steve January works great for me. Thank you so very much, I had so much fun last year I would hate not making it this year.

Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie... Are you really a 49er fan or are you just trying to stir the pot and get a rise out of me. Anyway, I look forward to lifting with you this weekend.

eh. you never know. i just know for sure that both team will not make it to the post season. see ya saturday. will take more. ;)

So whats this i hear about a grip competition comming up huh?? Are u guys ready for a little THoR OOOOHHHh YYyeeeAAhhh!!!... heheh :cool i like to make things sound better than they really are :blush...

But i do have a big question to the competing members of the gripboard group. A while ago I posted a topic on seasoned vs non seasoned items and well im wondering if the group would allow me to bring the best hub that ever existed to the competition (it is an IM hub and nothing has been done to it accept been used by me and fatboy and a shizzle load of chalk) and of course we all will and not just me. In hopes of doing this i can also further prove my point that chalk rules and should be used on all equipment ;)

But i do have a big question to the competing members of the gripboard group. A while ago I posted a topic on seasoned vs non seasoned items and well im wondering if the group would allow me to bring the best hub that ever existed to the competition (it is an IM hub and nothing has been done to it accept been used by me and fatboy and a shizzle load of chalk) and of course we all will and not just me. In hopes of doing this i can also further prove my point that chalk rules and should be used on all equipment ;)

I object. I am not sure why, but here are different things that come to mind:

1. A competitor bringing a piece of equipment that he has used hundreds of time, and no one else has touched. There has been a precedent, last contest where I brought my Vbar with me. The only reason I wanted to use it, was it was a FBBC bar, the promoter did not have a bar, and all of the other bars present were homemade jobs. If someone had a LGC bar, I would have said "yes", but under the circumstances, the FBBC was the most independent standard available.

2.The "fingertips or claw method" versus the "Vbar or grab method". They are two different types of styles, and there was quite a discussion about it during the summer of 2005, unrelated to this group. The youngster's name on the Board was "Meatball", and he was a friend of Richard Sorin's. I have not objected to the use of this method, which has been proven by others on the board (Dan Praydis) that more can be lifted using this style if one trains both. When the "claw method" ceases to be the dominant method, I will stop doing the event. Until then, I will not object, as long as the implement is provided by someone who is independent. I have a Fat Bastard Hub as well. I rarely use it. It has a great texture. However, I cannot lift much on it. If I trained to lift more on it, altering the position of my fingers, etc, I could then be more proficient on it. At that point, after I know what works best for me on it, made my adjustments, etc, should I be permitted to bring mine to the competition, when others have never had the same opportunity?

3. I think it is the combination of the two that I object to. If someone brought their own equipment, no one objected, but we all had to hold the implement in the same fashion, I would be okay with it. But to use a different style, combined with using their own piece, doesn't feel right to me. Thumbless Rolling Thunder is a completely different event than traditional. If Ronnie, a great deadlifter, wanted to bring his own Rolling Thunder, use thumbless on it, and was asking if anyone objected, I would. It changes everything.

Which leads me to the next issue, if we use "tweener" grippers, does that mean we can't bring our own to the contest? The promoter only has IM products for grippers. My answer to that is "I don't personally care as long as no one objects or if the promoer okays it. If the promoter okays it, and I personally don't like it, tough to me.

I am curious, if there are other people unrelated to this group, as to their thoughts on equipment used in contests, generally and specifically.

Mike

In general I agree with you Mike but I find it impractical to a point. My homemade 25mm v-bar was used in the warmup area at a couple contests - not an issue as it was not part of the competition. My BBSM has been used in a few competitions I have attended as people say it a good "average" SM - whatever that means. Does that give me an advantage - probably, as far as knowing my strength versus that particular gripper in making my choices of where to start. But every gripper there no doubt belongs to someone in the contest or someone they knew well and somebody involved had probably used it before.

But unless brand new equipment is used, someone is going to have used it before most likely. Some things develop "sweet spots" that may give advantages to the owner - Blobs, two hand pinch, or a hub (friction based events) might be an example but these objects are so simple that I can't see major advantages in a contest with several events. Now if one contestant furnished all the equipment, I might say an advantage might be gained but even then the main advantage is in making your starting choices easier.

As to the different methods used for hub lifting - I believe they are two different lifts and should be treated as such. Only one method allowed as a particular event - if you want to use the other grip - it becomes a different event for that contest and for records keeping purposes as well. Which means everyone is doing the same thing under the same rules and should only gain an advantage for those who have practiced it that way, and that's possible for all contestants if they desire.

So whats this i hear about a grip competition comming up huh?? Are u guys ready for a little THoR OOOOHHHh YYyeeeAAhhh!!!... heheh :cool i like to make things sound better than they really are :blush...

well, it's not the group's decision to allow your hub on the contest. it's kevin meskew that is running the show, so you would have to ask him. imo, i don't think he would allow it, since he has his own hub. remember, whoever runs any contests, whether it be grip, powerlifting, or strongman, more likely the promotor is the one that chooses the equipment. not the athletes. about the chalk thing, don't worry about it, there will be plenty of chalk there. gl at the contest. btw, will you be there at the deadlift/bench contest this saturday?

If Ronnie, a great deadlifter, wanted to bring his own Rolling Thunder, use thumbless on it, and was asking if anyone objected, I would.

Thanks for the comment, Mike. I'm not a great deadlifter. I would just like to say that you're a great hublifter and I hope you don't bring in you're on hub. ;)

Thanks for the comment, Mike. I'm not a great deadlifter.

650 pounds? 675? That is not exactly Chump Change.

I'm at 700 now. That's exactly chump change to rklein. BTW everyone, I will not squat at the contest, since I will be spending my vacation training, doing two a days for a whole week. I will be doing some powerlifting stuff and hopefully work on some grip stuff as well. :whistel

Alright just to stir the pot and add to the bitching if I can't bring my IM HUB then you can't bring your baby grippers. :whistel

But could you please bring your FBBC v-bar because I would like to try to break my FBBC cert and set a new PR.

I will bring my hub just so Thor can show off. Personally I will except anything Irorwarrior wants to throw at us and I will try not to complain. Without true hero's like Kevin and Steve B. we would have no ware in CA. to compete in grip and many other of the power sports. :bow

Ronnie I think the Packers have a chance at finishing the season at 11-4 and locking in a wild card spot. :yikes

I'll be in Las Vegas in April.If you do anything let me know.

I would love to meet and compete with you. Anybody have any connections in Vegas, and someone make this happen.

Nothing official yet, I don't believe.

Here would be the best indicator. Go to Lipinski's website, US Handstrength. Click on Results. Then, go to 2005. Then click on California Iron Grip.

I believe we are looking at those 6 events, likely in that order, with the Vertical Bar also, probably the 2nd or 3rd event. 7 Events, a Hepthalon if you will.

It is Kevin Meskew's baby, but order and that type of thing don't usually change with his stuff.

We are also lobbying for "toughest gripper closed" rather than "hold a quarter in your hand for time", but have not done anything with that yet with Kevin.

Hbgzr

"We are also lobbying for "toughest gripper closed" rather than "hold a quarter in your hand for time", but have not done anything with that yet with Kevin."

I like that idea. i could supply in between grippers if needed.

I think that is a dumb idea, I mean what if you have three people close the three or a gripper equal to it? There are no ties in grip, and we all cant get second place behind bussi, there are too many variables in this event. Are the grippers going to be set or no set, who is going to judge the set if there is one, hold for time is a set event, HOLD A DAMN QUARTER FOR LONGER THAN ANYONE ELSE! If your time is better than the other guy then you win simple as that, none of this well he closed the grand master and he closed the grand master, well maybe he closed it better than that guy, or no wait he held it closed longer, well we'll just give it to the guy who ways less. BAH

Edited by THOR

And one more thing if we are going to use the sissy grippers (that could possibly be supplied by somone other than kevin) than i should be permitted bring my hub...that kevin bussi has now used aswell...

Adam, if you are kidding, that's pretty funny. If you are not kidding, it is beyond the scope and limitations of this forum.

Mike Corlett

Wow i hope you are kidding. it is not that hard. look at how many other contests have done it without problems!

if the promoter has a hub already then why would he need yours?