California Contest?

RKlein

Predictions

1. COC's (hold for time)- Handgripperman (Makes sense to me.)

2. Vertical Lift- RKlein

3. Apollon Axle Deadlift (Double Overhand)- RKlein (It hurts me to say this, but I can't do 400lbs yet.)

4. 2 Hand Pinch- Handgripperman

5. Wrist Roller (75lbs for 5 Feet)- Thor

6. Block (3")- Handgripperman

7. "Phat-a**" DB 1 Hand Deadlift (3.375" Handle)- Handgripperman

8. Hub- Hubgeezer (It's an obvious choice, right there.)

9. Rolling Thunder- Handgripperman

10. Deadlift Hold for Time (500lbs)- Supermagnamon

Overall Winner: Handgripperman.

Comments:

These are my predictions based on who I think will be going. I think it'll be real close in points between RKlein and Handgripperman. Unless, Steve Martinez shows up at this contest, then I might think differently. He and Thor were a big surprise at the last contest. I know everyone is stronger now, but Handgripperman might just walk away with this without question. I'm trying to get some people from my gym to go and compete. One of them did 2 out of the 3 on GNC Grip Gauntlet. I think he has a stronger support grip than me. Who knows. Will see what unfolds when we get there.

Goals

1. COC's (hold for time)- IM#3- 1 second

2. Vertical Lift- 300lbs

3. Apollon Axle Deadlift (Double Overhand)- 375lbs

4. 2 Hand Pinch- 180lbs

5. Wrist Roller (75lbs for 5 Feet)- 10 seconds

6. Block (3")- 50lbs

7. "Phat-a**" DB 1 Hand Deadlift (3.375" Handle)- 100lbs

8. Hub- 50lbs

9. Rolling Thunder- 200lbs

10. Deadlift Hold for Time (500lbs)- 1 minute.

Comments:

Some of my goals are little high, some are a little low and some I don't even know if I can do it. I'll give a better effort this time, even though I haven't trained my grip. I just tested myself on some of the stuff yesterday and it seems that I got a little stronger from the last contest. Well, see what happens. I guarantee one thing. I will try to win at least one event.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handgripperman

• supermagnamon

• Hubgeezer

• RKlein

Predictions

1. COC's (hold for time)- Handgripperman (Makes sense to me.)

2. Vertical Lift- RKlein

3. Apollon Axle Deadlift (Double Overhand)- RKlein (It hurts me to say this, but I can't do 400lbs yet.)

4. 2 Hand Pinch- Handgripperman

5. Wrist Roller (75lbs for 5 Feet)- Thor

6. Block (3")- Handgripperman

7. "Phat-a**" DB 1 Hand Deadlift (3.375" Handle)- Handgripperman

8. Hub- Hubgeezer (It's an obvious choice, right there.)

9. Rolling Thunder- Handgripperman

10. Deadlift Hold for Time (500lbs)- Supermagnamon

Overall Winner: Handgripperman.

Comments:

These are my predictions based on who I think will be going. I think it'll be real close in points between RKlein and Handgripperman. Unless, Steve Martinez shows up at this contest, then I might think differently. He and Thor were a big surprise at the last contest. I know everyone is stronger now, but Handgripperman might just walk away with this without question. I'm trying to get some people from my gym to go and compete. One of them did 2 out of the 3 on GNC Grip Gauntlet. I think he has a stronger support grip than me. Who knows. Will see what unfolds when we get there.

Goals

1. COC's (hold for time)- IM#3- 1 second

2. Vertical Lift- 300lbs

3. Apollon Axle Deadlift (Double Overhand)- 375lbs

4. 2 Hand Pinch- 180lbs

5. Wrist Roller (75lbs for 5 Feet)- 10 seconds

6. Block (3")- 50lbs

7. "Phat-a**" DB 1 Hand Deadlift (3.375" Handle)- 100lbs

8. Hub- 50lbs

9. Rolling Thunder- 200lbs

10. Deadlift Hold for Time (500lbs)- 1 minute.

Comments:

Some of my goals are little high, some are a little low and some I don't even know if I can do it. I'll give a better effort this time, even though I haven't trained my grip. I just tested myself on some of the stuff yesterday and it seems that I got a little stronger from the last contest. Well, see what happens. I guarantee one thing. I will try to win at least one event.

No faith in Urban whatsoever. I intend to show up for the "good effort" award. Things are busy right now but these contests are aways good fun.

Ronnie and his predictions...just some comments regarding them...

a. We don't know who is coming.

b. How can you predict the outcome when you don't know the participants?

c. Ryan Klein probably has more talent than you are giving him credit for, and the date was changed so that he could participate. Anyone that beats him is a top talent.

d. Your goals are admirable.

e. Adam (Thor) is young and new enough that he could improve significantly.

f. Adam (Thor) has the highest IM Hub numbers ever done on the device. He uses the Vbar grab style, but that is legal in this competition. I cannot do 75-90 pounds in a competition, and he could.

g. I have 7 PRs as goals and the other 3 as contest bests as goals. Unless I have an injury, I will have more points than I did last time.

h. How can you count out the Wrist Geezer Steve for the wrist roller? He lives for that thing. He is a self-described Wrist Roller Freak.

i. At the last contest, there were 3 of us who outpointed Steve Martinez.

j. All that being said, the most sure things are Vbar Klein and handgripperman for the grippers.

Hbgzr

Ronnie and his predictions...just some comments regarding them...

a. We don't know who is coming.

b. How can you predict the outcome when you don't know the participants?

c. Ryan Klein probably has more talent than you are giving him credit for, and the date was changed so that he could participate. Anyone that beats him is a top talent.

d. Your goals are admirable.

e. Adam (Thor) is young and new enough that he could improve significantly.

f. Adam (Thor) has the highest IM Hub numbers ever done on the device. He uses the Vbar grab style, but that is legal in this competition. I cannot do 75-90 pounds in a competition, and he could.

g. I have 7 PRs as goals and the other 3 as contest bests as goals. Unless I have an injury, I will have more points than I did last time.

h. How can you count out the Wrist Geezer Steve for the wrist roller? He lives for that thing. He is a self-described Wrist Roller Freak.

i. At the last contest, there were 3 of us who outpointed Steve Martinez.

j. All that being said, the most sure things are Vbar Klein and handgripperman for the grippers.

Hbgzr

a. you're right.

b. i'm just trying to make a lucky guess.

c. top talent- handgripperman.

d. thanks, mike.

e. you're right.

f. from the last time i spoke with Thor, Kevin Meskew's hub is a lot slicker than Thor's.

g. i'm pretty sure that you're right on that.

h. sorry SteveB. i did put him into my equation.

i. you're right, once again. but handgripperman had a bad day and i'm pretty sure he learned his lesson.

j. that's a for sure deal there.

k. i'm just trying to have a little fun here. stir up the pot a little. i want to see some drama and action. and some pr's and records broken. it's a contest and i want to see some serious competition. i was wondering, since it is a contest and assuming most of the ppl there at the contest are from the gripboard(which is usually the case), american and world records can be broken, right?

For overall top 3, I think its going to be

RKlien

Handgripperman

Thor

Rklien is just too strong 400lb Vbar. and the axle is going to kill me.

Points, points, points. That is what it takes to win. Out of the two Grip Decathlons to date, here are the top 5 in points:

1. Clay, 2005 5984

2. Bussi, 2006 5948

3. Thor, 2006 5710

4. Passman, 2005 5569

5. Hubgeezer, 2006 5474

No, the events were not 100% the same, but I believe 8 of the 10 the scoring tables and events were identical, so you get the idea.

My prediction? At least 2 guys will go over 6000 points. I will be 5700-5900.

Hubgeezer

I was expecting the Decathlon to be in the spring and really wanted to try and make it out there to meet all you guys. This fall just isn't possible for me. I like the idea of ten events even if like Hubgeezer, it will beat up these old bones a bit - I thought I could fit it into a nice climbing trip afterwards maybe. You all have fun and may PR be the word of the day.

Its set for Nov.11. Kevin is making entry forms tonight, and ronnie will post them on here soon.

thanks Kevin, let me know.

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :upsidedwn:help

I finally figured out my user and passwords, after switching computers!!!!! So it looks like you guys are stuck w/ me again LOL...(be careful whatchu wish for). And my apologies to those who have tried to correspond without getting any responses from me...

I had planned on a "pressers pentathlon" at the gym for 11/11, but I'll move that to the 18th to accomodate the grip majority, so the 11th it will be; let's save the Deca (the 10eventer, not the drug) for Feb/Mar of 2007. How's a 6 event deal work for you all?

My event proposal: (unless Geezer you can tell us what the exact events were at last year's 6 eventer, I think this is what they were)

COCs

Hub

RollThun

WristRoll

PlatePinch

Axle

Now it seems the V-bar is pretty popular amongst this Calif group, so wanna make it 7events, or drop an event to keep it at 6???

KM

:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

It doesn't matter to me. I was looking foward to a decatholon. I just want to compete to see where im at these days.

Hmmmm...my take:

1. Make it a Heptathlon, add the V Bar. We cannot have Ryan Klein coming and not have the V Bar. Plus, the V Bar is more and more a standard event at grip contests.

2. Start it at 10:30. I can comfortably drive down and arrive before 10. On a Decathlon, I would drive down the night before. With 10 events, you have to start real early.

3. I don't mind a decathlon, but if there is going to be one in early 2007, it is nice having two distinctly different contests. Then if you do the expo, you can drop it to 5 or 6 and have 3 different grip animals.

4. I hate the Wrist Roller. BUT. we HAVE to have it, as Steve the Wrist Geezer lives for it, and it is one of the most contested and competitive events of this group.

And now for something completely different:

I had spoken with Kevin Warrior about a "tweener gripper". Mainly because I was sour grapes for coming out of the shoots with a #2 hundreds of points behind. At that time, I suggested a SuperMaster. So it would give the between #2 and #3 guys a little boost.

After thinking about that, I thought why just do that for the 2-3 bubble guys, what about the 1-2 bubble guys, or 3-4 bubble guys? Since we use the Harder Tables, and Harder's new tables have RBs on them, with points, and I have the following RBs to use, it coud be:

RB180 for #1 boosters

RB210 for #2 boosters

RB300 for #3 boosters

I spoke to Kevin Bussi yesterday, and he basically did not like it, and wanted to keep it simple with 1-4, no other brands.

I am fine with whatever the group and promoter want. And, if there are people out there in Gripworld Land who have an opinion, that is what this board is all about. But it really comes down to what Judge Dread-I-mean-Meskew thinks.

Geezer West

thanks for changing the date! i of course want to see the V-bar added.

i am up for whatever, but here are my suggetstions.

use the in between grippers.

drop the rolling thunder and add the v-bar. rolling thunder and axle are pretty similar.

try to make the events somewhat different from the decathlon in feb./mar.

whatever you decide is cool with me. if it is 7 events that is fine too.

All I have to say is, Don't drop the Rolling thunder. If anything Drop the apollons axle there too similar :tongue

okay, just saw last years contest was a gripper hold. is this one going to be a gripper hold or a max close?

Its always a gripper hold. either with a poker chip or a quarter.

"All I have to say is, Don't drop the Rolling thunder. If anything Drop the apollons axle there too similar" LOL

Okay i can see where in between grippers would get confusing.

what do you think of a max close for this one and poker chip/quater hold in feb./mar.

okay enough suggestions from me.

It would be nice to have something different. But I personally think it might be a little hard to judge on parallel set. I guess meskew can say if its good or not. But..... With the T-#4 there might be too many people with the same score. prob. 3 #3 closes or so. and 7 #2 closers. But those people would have the exact same score.

Rolling Thunder. Meskew has had 5 contests over the last 2 1/2 years. The RT has always been part of it. This group seems to like it as well.

Honestly, my only reason for 7 events is that Heptathlon sounds cooler than whatever a 6 event contest is called. It doesn't matter if it is 6 or 7 to me.

I like the Axle in Kevin's contests, as they are the only time I go for Max Weight. In or out is fine by me on that one.

His first contest was number of times you could rep a IM gripper (1, 2, or 3). Since then it has always been a chip or quarter hold for time. Most places seem to go for Max Gripper closed. If that were the case, we should add at least 3 different levels of grippers, maybe even 4 or 5. That would be a nice change, but I am A Okay with the old style or tweener grippers on the old style. I have since checked on Harder's RB ratings, and his rankings for the higher RBs puts them higher than they truly are. A 300 is not the same as a #4, and a 260N is absolutely not tougher than a #3. It sounds like Max Close would, for this group with a powerlifting promoter, take a little more negotiation and research to come up with a fair point system for any changes to the way it has been done the last few times. I still think there is way too much spread between the #2 and #3 for point spread. Perhaps going back to the number of reps on the IM grippers is the best way to use the Harder tables.

I know for my contests I have quite a few grippers when going for a max close. At the 2-3 level, I have about 7-8 different grippers, since that area and slightly above will be where most differences are.

don't drop the rolling thunder and the apollon axle deadlift. i need them both to keep up in points. ;) please add the in-betweeners in the grippers. it just make sense. jumping between the from the 2-3 is a big jump and 3-4 is even bigger. it gives the contestants a better chance to keep it a close contest. instead of getting wiped out from the beginning.

I just got back in town tonight, I've been gone for two weeks.

I can make the 11th, my wife has given me permission to come and play with you guys for the second year in a row on our anniversary. She is so good to me :D:D

I have not trained grip in about 3 months but I'm looking forward to competing and seeing the hole group of CA gripsters again.

Kevin, I will see you in a week at the Night of the Living Dead lift and Bench Press contest.

Steve B. you posted that you can not have a grip gathering without Thor or myself, I truly hope you meant that. Although I know that the majority rules I have to beg you PLEASE, PLEASE, ANY WEEKEND BUT THE 9-10, of Dec. On the 10th of Dec, I'm required to be in San Fransisco to watch my beloved PACKERS manhandle the 49ers. I would just cancel the trip but I already have all my reservations, have sent an ass load of money for shitty seats, and it may be my last chance to see FAVRE play. To all the 49er fans good luck and I mean no-a-fence.

As for predictions I have none!!! Everything changes the day of the contest, and we all have good and bad days.

.......I also won't make any predictions because you never know when that monster Clay may show up in CA....

What do you guys think about sometime in January?

Any date before the 10th is to close to Kevins contest and anytime after is to close to christmas for most people they are just to busy around that time.

Edited by Steve B.

What do you guys think about sometime in January?

Any date before the 10th is to close to Kevins contest and anytime after is to close to christmas for most people they are just to busy around that time.

sounds cool with me.

.......I also won't make any predictions because you never know when that monster Clay may show up in CA....

trust me. he won't show up. that's a for sure deal, bill.

I just got back in town tonight, I've been gone for two weeks.

I can make the 11th, my wife has given me permission to come and play with you guys for the second year in a row on our anniversary. She is so good to me :D:D

I have not trained grip in about 3 months but I'm looking forward to competing and seeing the hole group of CA gripsters again.

Kevin, I will see you in a week at the Night of the Living Dead lift and Bench Press contest.

Steve B. you posted that you can not have a grip gathering without Thor or myself, I truly hope you meant that. Although I know that the majority rules I have to beg you PLEASE, PLEASE, ANY WEEKEND BUT THE 9-10, of Dec. On the 10th of Dec, I'm required to be in San Fransisco to watch my beloved PACKERS manhandle the 49ers. I would just cancel the trip but I already have all my reservations, have sent an ass load of money for shitty seats, and it may be my last chance to see FAVRE play. To all the 49er fans good luck and I mean no-a-fence.

As for predictions I have none!!! Everything changes the day of the contest, and we all have good and bad days.

welcome back, bill. nice to hear from you again. i will see you this saturday. i will compete at the deadlift and bench contest as well. my niners will win. the packers have no chance. they need to make some trades and get rid of favre.