Are Weak Men Allowed To Post Routines!?

lifesnotfair

Being so stubborn..... my left shoulder will never heal. I decided to TRULY rest it for a few days, and I started on Ibuprofen to speed up the healing process. I wanna start the new year going strong again.

So, today's workout.....

5 box jumps (32")

10 sit-ups, legs straight, feet unanchored, arms by my side, a rolled-up towel under my lower back (similar to an "ab-mat"?).

12 rounds in 10 minutes.

I was gonna do 10 rounds for time, but after not feeling gassed enough, decided to do max. rounds in 10 mins since I saw the clock at 8-ish after 10 rounds.

Like I said, this one did not gas me enough. Sucks that I couldn't pick any upper body exercises to mix up with this one, would've loved to do pull-ups or push-ups with the jumps... I had never gone higher than 24" on box jumps though. Those lower-height/high-reps box jumps makes me nauseous pretty quickly, but today I felt pretty fine during the entire workout.. although the sit-ups were broken in the latter rounds, one brief pause to breathe about twice in the middle of the last 4 rounds or so.

My 32" box was my bench with 6 wooden blocks over it. I used some chain and straps to keep the blocks there!! Quite untable, lol. For more stability, I put it right next to a wall, so it wouldn't fall forward.. this makes me jump being scared in every jump, feeling like I'll hit my nose or teeth in the wall. I didn't fully lock my knees at the top of the box out of fear of hitting my head in the ceiling, but I was jumping down, not stepping down, back to the floor.

EDIT: I almost forgot. I did 2x10 reverse curls with the empty oly bar. Maybe this will help me gain flexibility in my forearms, specially the left one... I cannot pronate my left forearm completely, that's why I do pull-ups with thumb over the bar instead of around. I grabbed the oly bar today with thumb around... will do this quite often to get it used to this possition. I also pinched three 10 pounds plates and started passing them from hand to hand, and then counting 5 seconds on each hand before passing it to the other hand. I didn't even use chalk for this, and using both hands I must've kept the plates in the air for like two minutes, but can't be sure. I'm gonna go light and try to build a better base on my pinch. Hell, my traps started burning while doing this, lol.

Edited by Arturo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

Warm-ups, then:

Deadlift: 115x5, 165x5 with DO grip. 215x5 with mixed grip to get the feel of it.

275x3 (missed 4th), 275x3 .... argh, was so angry at this point. I lowered weight and did: 235x10 with DO grip.

It's the third week in a row deadlifting 275, but I feel my lower back rounds a little bit, and I can't get 5 reps as I aim for. Maybe instead of just trying to get the reps with 275 I need a change of strategy, that is why I did the 10 reps with 235. Next saturday I will try to get another 10 rep set with 245, if all goes well and since I'll skip the 275 attempts, I should be able to get it. This week wasn't a good one for strength gains, seeing as only 3 days ago I had a bit of food poisoning (I think) and a a "bowel" problems, if I can call it that, which I almost never have.

I did some ab work, nothing too serious.

I did reverse curls with the oly bar, then 50, then 55 pounds, all x12 reps. I grab it right where the knurling starts, with thumb around, will keep at 12 reps, increasing weight slowly.

Pistols: 10 each leg, consecutive. A bit hard leftie, a challenge rightie. Note: for pistols, I consider consecutive ones inhaling on the way down, exhaling on the way up, no breathing in between reps! Unlike deadlifts, where I sometimes take a couple of breaths before a rep.

I then pinched three 10# plates again and counted to 5, then passed to the other hand. Wanted to do this for 3 minutes, but only lasted around 2:45; plates never touched the bench during this set. It's tough to increase while doing this, because 3-10's feels like a joke, but 3-10's and a 5 feels tough. I lifted that off the bench with both hands, just to see if I could, but it was tough to keep them from fanning. Maybe 4-10's with a pipe in between is the next adequate progression.

I finally did this workout at a track, had never done it before. 29*C with 65% humidity today.

Two rounds for time of:

Run 800m.

Run 400m backwards.

Total time: 14:45. I keep saying it... running is absolutely the worst thing ever. I must keep running. Oneday I'll get better. The first 800m was unbroken, everything else was broken. At least now I have a time to aim for. I feel I'm getting a darn blister in my left foot, argh!!

When I got home I did reverse curls with the empty oly bar, then 60 pounds twice, all x12 reps. I forgot I had to do this, so I did after taking a shower and eating lunch... lol. Figured it was nothing too heavy to screw me up. Although it gets hard towards the end, left wrist feels weak towards the end of it.

Lower back was getting kinda tired during the runs... maybe not fully recovered from saturday's deadlifts? Who knows. Quads is what got tired during the backwards runs.

Gotta rest that shoulder... can't wait to do upper body stuff.

Warm-ups, then:

Reverse curls: 45, 65, 65 al x12 reps.

Alternate pistols: BWx10 (5/leg), +13# x10, +23#x10, +33#x10 (very tough, specially rightie).

Switched to one leg at a time, kept weight the same (33# dumbell): 5 reps each leg, then another set of 5 reps each leg. Quite tough rightie. Balance doesn't help, I feel it shifting to different areas of my foot during the ascent on this right foot. I will stick with this exercise (weighted pistols), I need it.

Then I decided to do a short metcon workout that consisted of:

21, 15 and 9 reps of:

165# deadlift

GHD-like sit-ups.

Time: 5:48.

The GHD-like sit-ups are sit-ups where I place my bench (about 21" in height) across my butt, anchor my feet with my power rack, and I go down until my head touches the floor (a rubber mat on the floor, actually), so the ROM is bigger. I did it with arms crossed over chest. First round of 21 reps: both exercises unbroken. Second round was 9+6 DL, and sit-ups broken at least twice. Third round of DL was straight, sit-ups were 6+3.

Still on 30.12.2008, after DINNER, for some odd reason I decided to do something I had not done in a long while... a GRIP workout!

It all started when I walked by the 165# on the oly bar and tried to 1HDL it, with chalk... got air with both hands, but felt the bar rotating out of my fingers so placed it back down. Straddle style. Weak :(

I then put 4 10#'s through a PVC pipe and it felt rather easy, so I added weight.. I could lift it with 10# added, BUT the weight had to be on the side of the four fingers. If the weight was added on the side of the thumb, I could not do it. Got a few deadlifts, trying with weight added and stuff. Then I decided to try 5 10#'s with the pipe through it.... no way! :D Seems miles away even like this. I should stick to the 4-10's for the moment and try to add some weight. I am not sure right now, if I got the 4-10's with 5# added on each side, for better balance. Don't remember.

I closed my RB160 rightie and got the #2 to 1/8" shortly after, only gripper squeezes.

Then I took a shower, and for some reason while watching my wet hands, I remembered someone talking (bencrush?) about getting better RT numbers after putting your hands in water and drying them. I had not touched my RT in ages, seriously. I ended up doing 115 rightie and 110 leftie, which I think are PR's? LOL.

That is exactly why I don't train grip right now. The most weight I have ever deadlifted is 275lbs (for 3 and 4 reps). I am just not strong yet. I could really benefit from getting overall stronger... grip is not important right now. I'm sure if I add 100 pounds to that deadlift, even if I have not touched a grip toy in the process, I would try them all and set PR's. Maybe not in grippers as they are so specific, but everything else I'm sure.

Since I went to the house at the top of a hill again, where I spent two nights, I did:

Up and down a hill (actually down, then up) 10 times, in 16:06. Beats the 17 mins it took the first time. I seem to have gotten 7 rounds in less than 10 minutes... but at this point I was DEAD! Not only my lungs, my leg muscles were dying on me, those quads... hills are tough. But I reckon I could shave off time for sure, not that I was resting much, but I was slow on the way up, and needed to breath some between trips in the latter rounds.

This was supossed to be a rest day, but for some reason I decided to do chin-ups everytime I walked by somewhere I could hang myself from. The biggest set I did was 5 reps, mostly I used a hammer grip, sometimes an overhand. Some sets of 3, but mostly of 5. I have no idea how many I did for the day.... it didn't feel like a workout since I was not doing sets with little rest. If I keep my shoulder "retracted" into the socket this doesn't seem to cause any pain.

However, on 31.12 I was playing with my son and my naphews... throwing them in the air and catching them and stuff, and that did cause pain in my shoulder again... and I was resting it, darn!! I guess I gotta keep resting it. Although I hurt it on a weighted pullup, it seems that pressing movements are the ones I should avoid right now.

Today (02.01) is a rest day, I planned to rest two days in a row but yesterday had all those chinds throughout the day... hopefully tomorrow I'll start the year with a PR in something.

Warm-ups, tons of hip mobility stuff.

Deadlifts: 115x5, 165x5, 215x5

245x10 - I wanted to use DO grip, and started with it, but by rep 6 or 7, I switched to mixed. Form "felt" good, felt the bar scraping against the shins as soon as I started pulling, instead of feeling my hips rise before my shoulders. Next time I will used mixed grip from the beggining, the extra security probably makes for faster, stronger initial reps.. since the last ones with DO grip in that set were performed while thinking "squeeze hard, it's gonna roll out!!!"... heh.

STRICT one arm hammer curl: 33x5, 43x5, 45.5x5. Maybe the last rep or two were not super strict, but I tried my best and did them slow and everything.

Pistols: 5 per leg with 23#. Upped to 33 and got 5 each leg. Then I wanted to do a set of alternates with that weight, figured I could push it to 20 in this manner (10/leg), but stopped at just 8!!... felt gassed. I think I need to do weighted pistols another day, without heavy DL's first. Lower back was a bit pumped and I could feel it. Also it took several minutes to breath normally after that set of deads.

GHD-like sit-ups: 10, +5x10, and +10x10. (plate held on top of head).

Reverse curls: 45x12, 65x10, 65x10... these two felt HARD!! I was gassed like I said, and the HC's probably tired these muscles.

PINCH! Yes, wanted to do it. 4-10's with a pipe went up so easily... I decided to take it off. To my surprise, I held 4-10's for about 5 seconds with each hand. Then, I held them for a good 10 seconds with each hand, at least twice!! Feeling good, I took the Standard 25's and also lifted them both. At this point my left hand was fatiguing, but deadlifted them anyways, they are easier because of the smaller total width. Back to 4-10's and again up for about 10 seconds each hand. Lots of chalk of course, but no pipe. I am happy with this session.

Something important is that out of my 8 10# plates, I looked for the ones with the least sharp edges to be on the extremes. Some are so sharp, it feels it's gonna cut me if I pinch too hard. I used the ones less sharp and it makes a BIG difference. I squeezed with much more confidence.

I grabbed a 10# sledgehammer and started doing swings on a tyre. Alternating which hand is at the bottom every 10 reps. I did this for 15 minutes, I had to rest a TON.... this is very tiring.

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes, of:

5 strict chin-ups (V-shaped tree branch)

10 push-ups (feet were higher than the hands)

15 air squats

10 rounds, 5 chins and 2 push-ups when the time ended.

Today I have sore pecs. I haven't been doing push-ups or any pressing stuff because of a shoulder pain... and it showed, since I could barely get 5 consecutive push-ups, every round it was hard to perform them... just to give an idea, the 5 chins were straight in every round... you'd think I could do 10 push-ups even when really tired, but nope, I had to do 5, rest a bit, and another 5... The squats were only consecutive in the first 2 or 3 rounds, then they were 8+7. I checked the time after 6 rounds I think, and it was 8 minutes and something.. so the second half of this time was more rest than anything! Sucks. I stretched too.

06.01.2009 was rest, although I did a 10-mins or so stretching session. I am taking stretching a bit more seriously, maybe it will help all my leg issues :)

Warm-ups. Pecs sore from those push-ups two days ago. It was not a bright idea to do all that upper body work... shoulder wont heal like this, argh!

Pistols, doing 5 reps each leg, worked up to 33#, then 38#. Last few reps with right leg were ugly, I think I even needed to swing my left lag behind me in order to fully get up!! lol. I must admit I was bouncing at the bottom, but it must still be legit this way. I am thinking of trying them with a dead stop at the bottom next time, and see where I'm at like that.

GHD-like sit-ups, 10 with a 5# plate over my head, dropped and did 10 more right there.

Reverse curls: 45, 65, 65 all x12.

Would've loved to do more, but this darn shoulder... argh.

I wanted to run, but sky was a bit cloudy... now looking back, I should've run, because it didn't rain.

So I warmed up and put 8 wooden blocks on top of my bench, to box jump.. I did a few, but it was so unstable, there was no way I was gonna do a workout with that, I was gonna hurt myself. About 36" and not a hard jump nowdays. Finding out your max box jump is tough though, because if you fail.. ouch. I have jumped to the 5th step of a stair recently, in two different houses! I love jumping and wanna do it more often.

I was a bit depressed today, because my left shoulder has not healed. My goodness... I spent like 18 months with my right AC joint pain limiting my training, until I finally had surgery. It's now been about 5 weeks with the left shoulder pain... I haven't truly rested it the whole time, but darn... I sooooo want to train. I did a few pull-ups, and it seems if I keep my shoulder sucked into the socket, it doesn't hurt. I did two sets of three just for fun, then I went for a longer set, and on the 4th rap, at the bottom, I felt that my shoulder went up a little and it hurt just a little bit. So this at least tells me when it is that it hurts. I would like to know specifically what tendon or muscle it is... argh. The good news is that I gripped the bar with thumb around and it felt pretty fine, so maybe those reverse curls are helping my pronation flexibility.

I just stretched a little bit and called it a day. Just not in the mood. No good workouts can happen while being in that mood.

Still on 08.01.2009, after work I actually felt motivated.... so:

Warm-ups, then:

Front Squat:

45x10, 75x10, 105x5 ... I tried using a clean grip and could do 45 and 75... but I think at 105 I used crossed-arms. I just cannot create the "shelf" using the clean grip....

125x5, 145x5, 165x5, 175x5, 180x3, 180x3

I remember my max being 175x5 here, so I wanted 180 but in two different sets I racked the bar after 3 reps because the pain in my shoulders was unbearable. I am soooo NOT used to the front squat... it feels it's gonna crush my deltoids. At least I don't feel it in the bones. But since I couldn't get my goal of a PR in a 5RM, I decided at least I'll see where I can get doing just 3 reps.

185x3, sloppy on the last rep, 'coz as I was raising up I was out of balance and had to step forward a little bit.

190x3, was actually smoother than the 185 set!

195x3, very tough, but got it, and again the third rep made me feel I was shifting forward as I raised up and I was a bit out of balance after this last rep.

160x1 - lol.. I wanted 10 reps at this weight. I was crazy... my shoulders hurt so much at this point, this 160 rep felt so hard, I just quit after this one rep and called it a day.

Still kinda happy with putting that weight up, I filmed myself from the front in several sets, I go way below parallel.

Today my shoulders, in the area where the bar rests during this exercises, is VERY tender to the slightest touch :(

Saturday 10.01.2008

Last night I went out, drank alcohol, ate a ton... slept 6 hrs... thought today would suck. I waited until about 1:30pm to eat something to let my body recover and drank tons of water. Started warmuping up 2 hours later....

Deadlifts:115x5, 165x5, 215x5.

255x10 - PR I guess. Mixed grip, left hand Under, felt a bit of bicep pain afterwards, meaning I forgot to flex my tricep during the last reps probably. This is why I hate mixed grip, but oh well. Weight dead stopped for at least 1+ second every rep, no bounce.

A set of 10 GHD-like sit-ups with 5lb plate over head - forgot to do more sets of this, oh well.

One arm hammer curl, strict: 33x5, 43x5

Not so strict: 48x5

Alternate (both arms now): 53x5 per arm, some body english here but nowhere near a clean, the weight was not flying up or anything.

Pinch: All sets of just 1 rep, held for a count of 5 seconds.

4-10's with a pipe through.

4-10's a couple of times.

Then added an IM strap through the holes, and hung little plates on each side. Maybe this is foolish as it might help in not letting the plates "fan" out.. but I have no magnets, so whatever.

2.5, 3.75, 5, 6.25 and last set of 7.5 pounds added all deadlifted and held for 5 seconds each hand. Since this last set tore a little bit of skin on the left thumb-base I called it a day.

4 rounds for time of:

Down and up a hill.

25 hits on a tire, right hand on bottom, 10# sledge

25 hits on a tire, left hand on bottom, 10# sledge

25 sit-ups, legs straight, arms by my side, feet unanchored, slight decline.

Time: 23:40 - hard!!

12.01.2009 was rest, although I stretched at night, after dinner... everytime I stretch and get all sweaty, I get a "what the hell" kind of attitude and do at least a couple of sets of push-ups and pull-ups, as well as some air squats, heh.

Went to the track. Today was AWFUL, 70% humidity with this heat.... I warmed up throughfully, maybe even too much.... I started doing the good old 100m sprint, 100m walk... and only got:

2 laps.

I was a p*ssy today. Have to admit it. I even felt pathetic on the way home. 2 laps?? I did 4 laps last time I did this workout. Today I felt so exhausted after the 4th sprint, I just walked a few meters and laid in the grass under the shadow of a tree for a while. Was incredibly wasted. :(

Worked out after work for a change. Hams and hip flexors very sore from sprinting. I keep repeating I need to sprint at least once a week, but it seems I cannot commit to it! Darn! Maybe coz it's TOUGH to sprint, it kills me. I ought to man up and sprint more. If I rest too much between sprint sessions, I get sore everytime I do it.

15, 12 and 9 reps of:

45# DB thrusters

Strict pull-ups with 15# hanging off neck.

Time: 10:07 - laughable. I didn't think this right. I had to rest a TON in order to crank out single pull-ups like this, specially in rounds 2 and 3. I mean, the most I did was 3 consecutive reps... oh well.

Shoulder will NOT heal if I continue like this. I need to truly rest it for at least a week, with ibuprofen or something. But I really need to rest it, I have been mega stubborn about this, thinking I could train while it heals. Bah. I wanna do my deadlifts on saturdays, those don't seem to hurt me, or not much. So I've been thinking, I could maybe do that workout saturday, and rest the entire week. True rest with no efforts with this left arm, ibuprofen and maybe even ice too 2x a day or so. Sounds about right, I will do that. Maybe I will even benefit from a week off? Who knows.

Warm-ups... then:

Pistols:

10 alternate (5/leg)

BWx5 (left leg, rest a bit, right leg).

+33 x5 each leg.

+38 x5 left, x4 right (helped with left leg on the fifth rep, so wont count it).

+38 x5 each leg (looked ugly righty, but got up without pushing the floor with the left leg, although I kinda swung it backwards).

Rested about 5 minutes and did:

40, 30, 20, 10 reps of:

Double Unders

Sit-ups, feet unanchored, legs straight, rolled towell under lower back, arms by my side.

Time: 7:07.

The last time I did this one, I got 6:50 with easier/faster sit-ups (knees bent, feet anchored, arms crossed over chest). So I can't complain. I seem to have gotten better at Double Unders without really practising them, I got 36 in a row in the first set! The set of 20 had no breaks, neither did the set of 10. The sit-ups were filled with breaks, they are hard in this manner, as you use very little hip flexors and more abs, they burnt to the point where I had to do 3 and 4 and breath 3-4 times in between. This workout could be done MUCH faster. And I'm doing the light version, I'm supossed to start with 50 (150 total reps of each) but I skip it, so I end up with 100 reps of each. But I reckon soon I could do the full one.

Take care of that shoulder before it blows instead of after. :)

The voice of experience speaking! Thanks for the advice climber. :)

I look back and see I injured this shoulder in November 29th. So it's been a bit over a month and a half now! Had I not been so impatient, I'm positive it would be healed by now.

I just feel (even though I know it's not true) that if I rest for a few days I will somehow lose the little strength and fitness I possess. That is why it's hard for me to rest, I feel like I'm wasting time.... so I try to workout other body parts while this one heals, but then I feel this need to just use that bodypart I'm supossed to rest. The sad thing is, while I use it, I somehow convince myself that it wont hurt much to do that little workout. It's embarassing for me to even admit such stupidity.

I am considering starting rest today. Or I might do saturday's workout because I love deadlifting and only do it saturdays and that one truly doesn't seem to hurt the shoulder (lol, here we go again). But even if I start today or saturday, I will rest the entire next week, and see how I feel the saturday after a week of true rest and ibuprofen. I wonder if I could at least sprint while I rest it... how about pistols? Oh no, I'll end up bench pressing tonight if I keep thinking this way! :D

The voice of experience speaking! Thanks for the advice climber. :)

I look back and see I injured this shoulder in November 29th. So it's been a bit over a month and a half now! Had I not been so impatient, I'm positive it would be healed by now.

I just feel (even though I know it's not true) that if I rest for a few days I will somehow lose the little strength and fitness I possess. That is why it's hard for me to rest, I feel like I'm wasting time.... so I try to workout other body parts while this one heals, but then I feel this need to just use that bodypart I'm supossed to rest. The sad thing is, while I use it, I somehow convince myself that it wont hurt much to do that little workout. It's embarassing for me to even admit such stupidity.

I am considering starting rest today. Or I might do saturday's workout because I love deadlifting and only do it saturdays and that one truly doesn't seem to hurt the shoulder (lol, here we go again). But even if I start today or saturday, I will rest the entire next week, and see how I feel the saturday after a week of true rest and ibuprofen. I wonder if I could at least sprint while I rest it... how about pistols? Oh no, I'll end up bench pressing tonight if I keep thinking this way! :D

Hehe! Take a week off the shoulder - even better find out what is wrong with it and take as much time off as it needs to heal up and do the necessary rehab. You're in this for the long haul and pushing a small injury into a big one is penny wise and pound foolish. That doesn't mean go sit on the couch but put together a workout that allows that thing to heal and then rehab it. Anyone that has the discipline to do the workouts you do certainly can find the self discipline to do what you know needs done. You're not going to make any progress with it messed up anyway but you can really end up going backwards in a hurry if you aren't careful. And that's not really "stupid" - it's dedicated - or so I keep telling myself when I'm "stupid" :blush

Thanks for the advice climber. Out of fear of looking like a fool after your wise words, I will most definitely stick to my plan and rest. :D

So friday and saturday were both rest. I think I did a bit of stretching though, gotta loosen up those legs in every direction. Careful not to use my arm though, I'm being careful not to use it a lot for most things anyways.

I am here at the country house again, so I could not resist the hill. I reckon it shouldn't bother my shoulder, being a hill! So I just did 4 max effort sprints on that hill. Lots of rest between attempts, probably 5-7 minutes... it took really long to recover. It's the same hill I went down and up 10 times for a workout a couple of weeks ago, but this time I just focused on the up part, with tons of rest, and treated each one as a "single", trying to go as fast as I could. Lemme tell you, it was still SLOW. I don't know how long it takes me, maybe 20-something seconds to complete it... but takes minutes to catch my breath after that.

Some stretching afterwards as well (lower body mostly). I guess you can say I'm resting that shoulder all right. Today is third day on ibuprofen too, will do 5 days on it, and at least 7 total days without exercises, if it's not better by then I will see a Doc, but I have a feeling it'll be better.

This internet 3G thing I bought to use here at the top of a mountain is awesome, good speed and everything. I am moving here with my family in about two months, this is a beautiful place, I will eventually take pics and stuff.

30, 25, 20, 15 and 10 reps of:

GHD-like sit-ups.*

Hip extensions.

Time: 13:10.

*The sit-ups are on a set-up I put together to simulate sit-ups on a Glute-Ham-Developer. I sit in my bench (about 21" height) and anchor my feet, with legs straight, with my power rack; then I lower myself until my head touches the floor (1/2" rubber mat actually), and explosively sit-up until I touch my feet.

For the hip extensions I just turn around and move the bench a few inches closer to my knees (but still close to the hip obviously, not near the knees).

This killed me. I did about 40 rope jump Double Unders as part of my warm-up and they made my shoulder feel a bit funny, the one I'm nursing. I guess spinning the rope so fast for reps wasn't a good idea, but I didn't know since it weights close to nothing.

Abs VERY sore. Hamstrings sore. But abs... my goodness.

150 alternate pistols for time.

Time: 9:45 - a 10 sec. improvement over last time, heh. I feel a bit heavier right now though (pants tight)... hopefully the sore hammies didn't affect me. This left my legs shaking... and today the quads and glutes are sore, and the abs are still terribly sore from the workout two days ago.

As you can see, I'm resting that shoulder. I'm being patient, hoping it heals and soon I can do real workouts :)

Edited by Arturo

Arturo, I read the first page of your log, and the last, and you have come a long way in three years. Plus, you are mid-twenties, and you don't want a permanent injury. Trust me. I'm glad to see you are resting your shoulder. I greatly appreciate climber's occasional words to me and my son, very wise. You have many years of viable training ahead of you. Patience is key, and staying healthy is a key to great strength. Appreciate where you started, and where you are now. That will help get you to where you want to be.

Thank you, AnimalCage. It's sometimes depressing to read other people's log, they progress so fast.... I know I've made progress, but MUCH slower than most everyone I know! It sucks. And it's depressing to think where I could be right now if it weren't for injuries and whatnot.... maybe bad genetics. I sure as hell know it's not because of lack of effort or desire to go ALL OUT in training, because I love doing that.

I ran around a hill and threw some rocks. Later did some push-ups (so hard!! wow, like 10 maybe), and 10 chin-ups with a parallel grip, glad I can still do that. The next day my shoulder was again a bit sore. This is why I went to the Doc today (27th), he told me to get an MRI and it doesn't seem like a big deal, he says, I'll get the MRI and go back in a few days, once I get it done.

Up a hill two times as a max. effort each time. Since I moved all my iron to the house in this hill, I decided to do something else:

RT: up to 115R and 110L, no chalk, no washing of the hands, just drying them out against my t-shirt, which was not 100% soaked in sweat yet. I then did 95x12 rightie and 95x6 leftie - got air in two more attempts at another rep but could not. Forearms sore today as expected.

I then did some hammer curls, not sure what I did. I did one arm at a time, and I used 43# and got 10 reps, but not strict obviously. 43# or 45# is my max for 5 strict reps, so these ones weren't the strictest, but I guess they must build some strength.

Did 10 pistols each leg just for fun. And stretched quite a bit. The side-split stretch was good on this day, either my eyes deceived me or there wasn't really a huge gap between my nuts and the floor. LOL. I hope I'm in the floor in a couple of months.

Just stretched. Side-split stretch sucked today, but not too much. Hamstring stretching is PAINFUL... I don't know how I can get through that, but I do. Right hammie is tighter than left, always have been. I focus on hammies and hip flexors as they seem to be the tightest.

Stretched.

Went to the track.

Warm-ups...

Four 100m sprints. I rested about 7 minutes between attempts (a TON!) and still I felt I had not completely recovered before the last three runs. I gave it all in those sprints, I finished one and almost felt nausea, lol. Still, I am a very slow runner, but I figure if I give it all I have, I should eventually improve. All work done in Vibram FF's.

Got home and stretched those hammies, hip-flexors and inner legs. This required mental toughness, 'coz I was seriously tired at this point... heh. Hopefully the bit of stretching might help me reduce the DOMS I usually get when I sprint on flat surfaces without having done it in the past week or so.

Sprinting in hills is a TOTALLY different exercise.

EDIT: Oh, and about three times I hung from a soccer arch just to decompress my spine, for maybe 10 seconds... but in one of the times, I was dumb enough to do 3 pull-ups. Oh well... I went to the Doc tuesday, I have not mentioned that in here. He told me to get an MRI at this place that has the newest machine, not where I used to get them... and surprise! The next available date was monday, Feb 9th... wtf? Almost two weeks. What will REALLY irritate me is if the results confirm what the Doc think it is (inflamed supraspinatus I think, not sure) and all he does is inject cortisone or something and tell me to rest for a week. It will piss me off because he could've just done that tuesday and I'd be working out two weeks sooner without this delay for the MRI, argh. On the positive side, if it shows a labrum tear or whatever else, I'll be glad I had the MRI done. We'll see.

Edited by Arturo