Are Weak Men Allowed To Post Routines!?

lifesnotfair

17.06.2009 - Warmed-up and stretched for maybe 15 minutes before a shower, but otherwise rest. Glutes very sore, hams a bit sore too.

400m run - 1:21. Rest exactly 2 minutes.

400m run - 1:19. Rest exactly 2 minutes.

400m run - 1:22. Rest exactly 2 minutes.

400m run - 1:28. Lay in the ground feeling like I'm going to die, so happy that this has finished.

Done in Vibrams, at noon, very hot day today. As always, alone at the track, noone is crazy enough to workout under the sun at this hour, just me. The track is so hot, that the 3rd and specially the 4th run really burned the ball of my feet. When after the 2nd round my whole body itched, I knew this was one of those workouts that just look easy on paper. During the fourth run I could really felt I was going at a slower pace, and it was a battle to just finish it without walking. I'm glad I didn't walk though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

400s are never easy, I ran them in track this year, they're pretty much suicide. After I ran my PB of 56.32 seconds I had a migrane for the next hour and an intense lactic acid burn throughbout my entire body from my waist down...

400s are never easy, I ran them in track this year, they're pretty much suicide. After I ran my PB of 56.32 seconds I had a migrane for the next hour and an intense lactic acid burn throughbout my entire body from my waist down...

You are FAST man!!! I reckon if I were to only do one run, without the killer tropical sun at 1:00pm, going all out since it's just one run... hrm.. I don't know, maybe I could get close to 1:10, it's hard to estimate, but seeing how I got 1:19 in the second round with just 2 minutes rest from the first round and in so unfavorable conditions, I think I could do it. But under 1 minute seems far, far away!!!

I haven't had a migrane in years though. Were you taking any meds or anything when this happened? The only times I got headaches with intense efforts were when I was taking some tough NSAIDS.

You are FAST man!!! I reckon if I were to only do one run, without the killer tropical sun at 1:00pm, going all out since it's just one run... hrm.. I don't know, maybe I could get close to 1:10, it's hard to estimate, but seeing how I got 1:19 in the second round with just 2 minutes rest from the first round and in so unfavorable conditions, I think I could do it. But under 1 minute seems far, far away!!!

I haven't had a migrane in years though. Were you taking any meds or anything when this happened? The only times I got headaches with intense efforts were when I was taking some tough NSAIDS.

Nah, I wasn't taking anything, but I passed out right after I crossed the line.

How much are you holding back on these runs?

You actually passed out for real? Or you just laid on the ground? Damn. I haven't passed out yet!!

Well, you see, I had done some other workouts for time that included 400m runs, but I always held back because of other stuff I have to do besides the running. On this particular workout, the 400m's were the only thing to do, and with 2 mins rest to boot, but I had never gone "all out" in one of them. So in the first one I decided to just pick a pace, and try a bit harder on the last 100m or so... I think the pace I picked for the first 300m could've been faster, because you know how tiring a 400m can be, and with exactly 2 minutes rest I went and ran 2 seconds faster??? Makes no sense. I gotta try this workout again for sure, now I'm curious and I'd like to get under 70 seconds although that might be a bit much.

Rode my bike, two laps around a park with about 4.5 mins rest in between. First lap in 15+ mins, second in 16+ . Damn, a bit disappointed about that second lap. It's 6km+ long with ups and downs.

Deadlifts: 265x3, 265x1 - weak. Feeling quite weak. I wasn't feeling "strong" and I would have saved myself for the next day or something, but I knew I was gonna be away from my barbell set for a few days so I did this. Sucked. Later this day though, I went and had an MRI on that left shoulder. AC joint is hurting just like my right one did for so long. I really, really want to have the same surgery on my left side. I recovered very quickly on the right side, and that right shoulder is stronger than ever... but my left has been holding me back for almost 7 months now. It stinks. We'll see what the results say in about two days. The funny part of this is that at the clinic, I weighed myself on two different scales, those where you move the little weights. I weighed 167 in one, and 168 in another. This was at about 7:00pm, with a robe but my tennis shoes. I could not believe what I was seeing. I was 180# only a couple of weeks ago in a digital scale which I thought was very accurate judging by my wife's and son's weight on it.

I also forgot, after taking a shower, I tried some pistols, first I did 10 continous reps leftie, with my right leg perfectly locked (knee). Inhale on the way down, exhale on the way up, no breathing in between, but I wasn't rushing them. Then I did the same rightie, BUT, I cannot lock my left knee to save my life on these.

Tabata box jumps: 15, 15, 16, 15, 15, 15, 15, 16. Nice, no breaks. About 21" I think.

Tabata sit-ups: 12, 12, 12, 11, 12, 11, 11, 11.

Tabata squats: 21, 21, 21, 19, 18, 15, 16, 18 - worst tabata squats ever! I sucked here.

You actually passed out for real? Or you just laid on the ground? Damn. I haven't passed out yet!!

Well, you see, I had done some other workouts for time that included 400m runs, but I always held back because of other stuff I have to do besides the running. On this particular workout, the 400m's were the only thing to do, and with 2 mins rest to boot, but I had never gone "all out" in one of them. So in the first one I decided to just pick a pace, and try a bit harder on the last 100m or so... I think the pace I picked for the first 300m could've been faster, because you know how tiring a 400m can be, and with exactly 2 minutes rest I went and ran 2 seconds faster??? Makes no sense. I gotta try this workout again for sure, now I'm curious and I'd like to get under 70 seconds although that might be a bit much.

Yeah, I full on passed out. I was only out for about 30 seconds though. It only happened that one race though, thankfully. :D I was dead for the rest of that day though, you have to really push yourself to collapse like that. :rock

If you're running 3x400 at roughly 1:20, with only 2 mins rest I'd say you'd be able to break 70 seconds.

I have a couple tips for running a 400 though. The pace you set for the first 100-150 meters is the fastest you're going to go for the whole race, so try and build up to about 90-95% top speed there. From 100m-200m try and maintain your pace, long easy strides. 200m-300m still try and maintain, it'll be harder here, around 225-250 your legs will start burning, ignore and just try and keep up the pace. 300m-400m just try and run as fast as you can. The one thing to keep in mind is that after your first 100-150 meters you're not going to move any faster, so make sure to set your pace there.

Edited by ginroth

6 rounds for time of:

15 DB snatches, 42#, right hand only (NOT squatting)

15 sit-ups on the GHD, a tad below parallel, elbows by my sides, hands on front delts.

Time: 13:18.

Weird... 23 days ago I got 12:37 :( ... but today it didn't feel that slow. I seem to remember that day doing it after work, today I did it at noon, horrible heat. But I don't know if I should attribute the extra time to the heat. Maybe I just sucked today, although I seemed good in those snatches. Now I'm eager to try this one again and beat my previous time, as this is unacceptable.

Got the results for my MRI. I love how my doctor tells me the exact same result written on the page without even seeing it first. He says it's much worse than the MRI from February. This shoulder followed the same footsteps of my right one, which means: it's f**ked. AC joint needs surgery and if my blood and heart test are OK, surgery will take place on July 7th. I'm actually glad I'm having this done, and I can only hope this shoulder keeps following the steps of the right one, because the right one has been pain-free, and more stable and stronger than ever since that surgery in May '08.

Some EZ curls and EZ reverse curls. Then:

5 rounds for time of:

10 alternate pistols

20 hip extensions, fingers crossed behind head.

Time: 8:05.

Went to the playground with my son, niece, wife and my mom, who got back from vacations in Europe last night. I did a set of 10 pull-ups first... with a lot of rest, did 10 n-chin-ups (parallel grip) and then, also with lots of rest, another set of 10, clean reps with thighs at least parallel to the floor, hitting the bars I was holding to the top of my shoulder, and no rep was a grinder. I don't know why but I'm feeling kinda strong today, I wish I had my grip toys with me today. This was a surprise since I did some curls and reverse curls yesterday but I'm not sore at all despite not doing those two moves in ages, specially on my right arm. Weird, but cool. I figure if I'm gonna have surgery on July 7th I'd do a few chins here and there before that date. No wonder my supraspinatus never healed since November 29th when I injured it.. it's being pinched by the big ball of mass created in my AC joint, I was just reading the report againt. Luckily I have ensurance and it will cost almost nothing, phew. I'm just hoping this goes as well as my right shoulder one.

Shortly after waking up (and quite late actually, as I went out last night, had a few drinks and some very tasty dessert) I warmed up and went for 60 burpees for time and got them in 5:24. Push-ups on my fists, clapping overhead and trying to jump at least decently. Tiring stuff.

Played some tennis in the morning.

Deadlifts:

115x8, 165x5, 195x4, 225x3

265x4, 265x4.

Chin-ups on a tree, V-shaped:

BWx5, +25x3

+50x3, +50x3, +50x3.

Pistols:

15 each leg. Inhale going down, exhale going up, so as "consecutive" as they get while actually trying to go slow. These burnt a bit, but I was glad to get these reps.

I have lost some strength but I'm not worried. Surgery in 8 days... I can't wait to get done with this and truly get strong with nothing stopping me.

Planed tennis, this time with an instructor I've known since I was a kid, so the 50 minutes or so were really tiring as he has a basket full of balls and a ballboy picking them up.. I felt I needed some guidance.

Right forearm feeling the tennis from yesterday! Incredible. My wrist must be very weak. It feels similar to when I used to do pronation/supination work with a sledge.

At 5:00pm I did this. I thought it was a good time... but I should have waited until later. The heat and humidity here are truly devastating, I felt like my blood was boiling, horrible, absolutely horrible feeling.

40 Box jump, about 20" height.

40 Jumping pull-ups, bar could've been a bit higher but even so it got hard at the last bit of the ROM.

40 Kettlebell swings, I used a ~33# dumbbell.

40 Walking Lunge steps

40 Knees to elbows

40 Push press, used 46# plus the EZ bar which feels like less than a pound plus the two collars.

40 Hip extensions on the GHD.

40 thrusters (a front squat with a push press at the end), used same as in push press.

40 Burpees, trying for a good jump every rep plus a little clap overhead.

40 Tuck Jumps.

Time: 24:57.

This was nice, as about 7 weeks ago I got 24:33 with 35 reps of everything. The difference is bigger than it seems, as it's now a total of 400 reps and before it was 350, so just 24 seconds added is actually an improvement. All implements were the same.

I got a bit better at box jumps it seems, as I've done a few tabatas on those. Jumping PU's sucked. Swings were 25+15. Lunges burnt but were pretty much straight, although I had to turn around every 6 steps. KTEs sucked, I must admit I help myself pushing the floor with my legs/calves at the beggining of the move, it would be different if I were on a bar where my feet hung in the air, but still, the abs burnt big time in this one. Push press was 20+20. Hip extensions was 30+10, I could have probably done 40 if I pushed through the burn, but didn't wanna go into the thruster with absolutely trashed hammies/glutes. Thrusters were difficult, I did 15, 10, 9 and 6 I think. The fact that I'm not "racking" the EZ bar (all I had today) in my shoulders tires my arms more. Burpees.... sucked!! I did almost all sets of 5 and I had to (finally) sit down between this mini sets. When I had 15 I actually did a set of 10, kindof, as I only took some breaths in the middle of it. But the rest were 5's. I was trying to jump decently but I know in many reps I did a pathetic jump. I took kindof a long break before the tuck jumps which I regret, but got them all straight. I really, really felt like dying afterwards, and had my wife not throw air at me with a rubber mat I think I would have. I don't think I will do these metcons at this time of the day anymore, no sir.

This workout made me nervous, really, I was nervous all day just thinking about it. Just like the workout with hang-squat-cleans and push-ups, that one also has me nervous when I do it. I'm so glad I'm done with it. I love it and hate it at the same time :D

Rest. I had a blood test done this day.

Got the results of the blood tests and it shows a 77 SGPT when it should be a bit lower. I got scared at first when I googled for that thing, but then I read several sources saying that intense exercise and muscle damage releases this enzyme to the bloodstream as well, and I'm positive that's why mine is a bit high. I go all out in these workouts I do :)

I invented this one today:

15 push-ups

30 alternate pistols

15 DB hang-snatches, right arm, 42#

15 DB hang-snatches, left arm, 42#

15 hip extensions

Repeat with 12 reps (24 alt. pistols)

Repeat with 9 reps (18 alt. pistols)

Total time: 13:36. It was awful !!

Played 2 hours of tennis on saturday 04.07.2009.

Watched Wimbledon's epic final on sunday.

Surgery on 07.07.2009. Feeling great and it's only been a few hours.

Edited by Arturo

6 days after surgery, feeling fine. The incision is about 5cm this time, so about 1cm smaller than the right side one. Not that I care much about that, heh. I didn't wear a sling this time. My shoulder feels a bit tight still, and it hurts if I try to front raise my arm, it's hard not to do it. I get the stitches out on wednesday which will be the 8th day after surgery.

Was idling for very long but yesterday (12.07.2009) I decided to walk some... I went down and up 5 times on a hill, going backwards on both directions! There is a high degree incline so going up backwards pumped my quads quite a bit. Then I stretched my legs. Felt good to sweat a lot for the first time in a while, lol.

Can't wait to start training!

Today it's one week since surgery. I wanted to train, so I did this:

For time:

400m walking lunges

Time: 17:35. At noon with the hot sun over me, tiring stuff.

13 days after surgery. Today was first day of rehab. Some movements still KILL to perform, but I can do a wide variety of things pain free now.

I did this:

5 rounds of:

12 walking lunges, holding just one 53# DB in my right hand

25 hip extensions, arms crossed over chest

Time: 8:56.

I guess an OK time. About a month ago I did this with 20 hip extensions (so 25 less reps) but with arms crossed behind head, which makes each one a bit harder, and I could alternate arms for the lunges of course, and it took 8:32.. so I dunno, maybe I'm sucking more, but it's kinda OK since I just had surgery I guess.

I tried push pressing, right hand only... worked up to 83x5, 93x4 (failed 5th), and 103x3. Left hand never touching the DB of course. Did some plate curls with a 20# plate and that was basically it. Was actually able to concentration-plate-curl with the left arm with no pain in the shoulder, heh. I know I was pushing it as this day was exactly two weeks after surgery.

22.07.2009 was complete rest.

I tried doing two tabata's at once, alternating exercises in each set (not all 8 intervals of one and then the other). The two exercises I mixed were:

Hip extensions, arms crossed over chest: 16, 14, 14, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15

Bycicle abs, arms crossed over chest, upper trunk elevated at all times but not moving up and down (like the top possition of a "crunch" I guess): 34, 34, 33, 32, 31, 32, 32, 34

I didn't need any rest at any time, so maybe I picked two very easy exercises. I want to do this again with two different ones. Alternating the exercises makes for more recovery time for each muscle group, so it was definitely easier this way, but still a good 8 minute workout I guess.

Today was the first day in which I did rehab twice, first thing in the morning by myself with yellow theraband, and then in the afternoon at rehab. It is a bit expensive, I'm thinking of skipping next week. We'll see how I wake up monday. I will do my two sessions all alone tomorrow (sat), and full rest sunday.. then if the morning session on monday goes good enough, I think I wont return next week, but keep doing it at home. The only difference will be not reciving the 3 or so minutes of ultrasound and the 5-10 minutes of current with the other machine... I don't think those are really THAT necessary. The heat I can apply myself, the exercises I can too, and the cold too... so I think I'll save my money.

Tabata box jumps, about 20" or so, no idea: 16, 15, 16, 15, 16, 14, 15, 16. The round of 14 was because my wife notified me late to start.

1 minute rest.

Tabata sit-ups, legs straight and unanchored, arms straight and by my side, rolled towel under lower back: 11, 12, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11.

1 minute rest.

Tabata walking lunges: 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13.

Light stuff, I know, but I'm just 17 days post surgery, cut me some slack.

Rest, but did the shoulder rehab twice. That can't count as a workout, lol.

On this day (sunday) I rested the shoulder from the rehab after 6 consecutive days. But I did work out, actually I did something I should've been doing ever since injured my shoulder!!! I've been dumb not to do it. This is a great tool:

Hip Belt Squats, front loaded using a loading pin:

50x10, 75x8, 100x6, 120x4, 140x3

155x5 x3 sets, about 4 minutes rest in these working sets, tough but good reps, form felt right, knees out at all times, I tried hard to focus on driving from the hips, and I went below parallel in all reps.

In between sets I did grippers, right hand only... after I closed my RB160 with authority and held it for 5 seconds in what felt like an overcrush, I decided I was feeling strong on these, so I tried my BBM twice and got it to 2mm both times, holding it there for several seconds. Incredibly, this might be my best gripper performance ever.... my BBM is harder than my #2. I like the knurling on the RB160 and the BBM, I absolutely hate the CoC knurling. I didn't even have to use chalk today as I didn't use the CoC's. Well I did do the #1.5 x3 (could've done a couple more) but it slipped back on the very first rep. All sets were much wider than parallel.

Thumbless Reverse Curls: oly bar x10 x3 sets. Very hard, my left hand gives in.. it's coz I lack flexibility in the pronation of this left forearm.

In another news, fat around mid section is less, I've been eating clean this whole week except friday night, but even the weekend was good.

Shoulder rehab first thing in the morning, and then again at about 5pm, very hot this afternoon. After the second shoulder rehab I did a little workout:

5 rounds for time of:

25 hip extensions, hands crossed behind head

60 bycicle abs, hands on sides of head, torso statically raised as in the top portion of a crunch. I count one rep on just one side.

Time: 9:56. Exhausting as heck. I think those abs kill the hip flexors more than the abs. All hip extension rounds had one break except the very first one. The first two rounds of abs had no breaks, the others had a few (2-3 breaks), they started feeling quite tough.

Two shoulder rehab sessions with red theraband and 3# and 5# plates. Shrugs with 20#, overhead shrugs with 5#.

Two shoulder rehab sessions with red theraband and 3# and 5# plates. Shrugs with 20#, overhead shrugs with 5#. Will increase weight of both shrugs tomorrow. I think I can use the next band as well for the rotations. Shoulder adduction still kills but I go through with it, some others hurt some too but this one is the worst. I'm not worried as it was the last one to stop causing pain in my right one.

I don't mention it but I ice my shoulder for 10-12 minutes after each rehab session.

After the afternoon session I decided to do a workout. I wanted an upper body move and something a bit different (no hip extensions for example, heh), so I came up with this one:

5 rounds for time of:

6 box jumps - about 36", need to measure it, it's a second step.

9 standing EZ bar curls, 46#

12 walking lunges, holding just one 32# DB (NOT one in each hand). Alternate hands each round.

15 sit-ups, legs straight, feet unanchored, arms straight and by my side, nothing under lower back this time.

Time: 9:36 - I think I went at a decent pace, not much need to rest and most sets unbroken. The high box jumps didn't have a fast pace obviously, and most times I stepped down slowly to the first step and then the floor. The curls were all straight except round 5, were surprisingly I needed 2 little breaks to breath (not letting of the bar of course) as I felt my abs burning (not the biceps so much, but they did feel tired). All lunges and sit-ups straight through. It could have definitely been harder... but it was something. I cannot wait to fully get back to it!