Southern Galifornia Iron Grip Decathlon Challenge

supermagnamon

Entry form has been sent. Based on my schedule, I will squat and deadlift heavy before the meet starts. I need to get those lifts in, since the grip contest is one week away from the powerlifting meet in San Diego. So if any of you show up early, I will squat 825lbs that day and go light on deadlifts. I will use straps btw on the Deadlifts. :whistel

Received Bill's (FatBoy) and Adam's entry yesterday (hell Bill with gas only $3 a gallon, why would anyone wanna use a 39 cent stamp? [inside joke, guys]). Ronnie's and Geezer's entries arrived today, so that's 6 so far...

As it stands right now, the lineup looks like this:

Open Div

125 Kevin Meskew ???

200 Larry Battafarano

225 Mike Corlett

250+ Ronnie Castro

Bill McCaslin

Junior Div

17-19 Stephen Martinez

20-23 Adam Demnowicz

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supermagnamon

• ironwarrior

• Hubgeezer

• THOR

Well i'm definately looking forward to the competition, i dont quite remember Stephen Martinez at the gather ing but im looking forword to see what he can do, ( im glad he's 18 and not 20 :tongue )

Hey Ironwarrior I will be 250 or under even if I have to stick my finger down my throat.

You also owe my four feet of glory for your last meet.

Hey Ironwarrior I will be 250 or under even if I have to stick my finger down my throat.

LOL ya and i could use a nice pretty certificate too :tongue

Four feet?...you're being way too kind! Don't let the women find out about this!

Also, in unrelated news, my gym manager Larry informed me he can't make it to the contest afterall, as he was invited by a friend to spend the weekend down in San Diego. So I allowed him to perform his grip lifts today (Sunday), and was I planning on applying his performances to next Saturday's competition. If anyone has a problem with this please speak up. Just to letchuall know, I judged him very tightly, cut him no slack, kept the 'one minute to perform the lift rule' intact, and he performed his lifts well within the rules.

His performances were:

Name: Larry Battafarano

Bwt: 198

COC: T / 16.19sec

Vert: 145 lbs

Axle: 244 lbs

Pinch: 155 lbs

WrRoll: 13.61 sec

Block: 45 lbs

PhatAss: 58 lbs

Hub: 38 lbs

RThun: 139.5 lbs

DLHold: 5.97 secs

The V-Bar we used was a 12" tall 1"inch thick loading pin

Tentative total about 3000 points, not earth-shaking stuff but not bad for his first time in contest conditions, and a couple of events were first time experiences for him. And this after doing a full shoulder and chest workout beforehand!

I also did some stuff along with him:

Bwt: 126

COC: T / 11.53 sec

Vert: 125 lbs

Axle: 193 lbs

Pinch: 100 lbs

WrRoll: 28" (15 secs)

Block: 37.5

PhatAss: 48 lbs

Hub: 33 lbs

RThun: 112 lbs

DLHold: 0

Too ashamed of these performances to even calculate a total.

Got an upclose and personal experience with these 10 events, feeling whatchu all go thru, and have an even greater respect for you guys, testing your grip strength time after time all in a matter of hours!

Four feet?...you're being way too kind! Don't let the women find out about this!

Also, in unrelated news, my gym manager Larry informed me he can't make it to the contest afterall, as he was invited by a friend to spend the weekend down in San Diego. So I allowed him to perform his grip lifts today (Sunday), and was I planning on applying his performances to next Saturday's competition. If anyone has a problem with this please speak up. Just to letchuall know, I judged him very tightly, cut him no slack, kept the 'one minute to perform the lift rule' intact, and he performed his lifts well within the rules.

His performances were:

Tentative total about 3000 points, not earth-shaking stuff but not bad for his first time in contest conditions, and a couple of events were first time experiences for him. And this after doing a full shoulder and chest workout beforehand!

Got an upclose and personal experience with these 10 events, feeling whatchu all go thru, and have an even greater respect for you guys, testing your grip strength time after time all in a matter of hours!

Wow kev those numbers arent too bad, half that stuff is your body weight or just about half or so. I was hopeing to have actually seen u compete, but hey i guess thats ok. ill see ya sat :rock

Okay, here is a report on the Big Guys:

1. Clay Edgin won't come because he is afraid of us. :cool

2. Dave Tharp. Damn, you know, I thought with the help of Dr. Strossen, we were going to find him. We didn't. You can find video of him in the movie archives lifting the Inch and pulling 212 at Kevin's Iron Grip Challenge in March of 2004. He was around 5 ft 9 inches, 270 lbs, could bench press 600, would now be around 36, 8 inch hands, a real animal. Our loss.

3. Morgan Guthner, Maidenfan on the Board. Nope, couldn't convince him. He lives in the Northwest, can do 400 on the Axle, close the 3, go around 240 for the Rolling Thunder, and who knows what else. The time, travel and money was too much to overcome, even with the Charismatic Charm of the California Cultists. I tried.

4. R Klein. He posted that he couldn't make it.

5. That only leaves Scot Mendelson. No application fee received, I presume, so it sounds a little far fetched to me.

The only way I can avoid buying the pizza (see my promise and predictions dozens of posts back) is to personally pull off multiple upsets so that Ronnie will have more wrong answers than I. Like my bet with VBar guru Mikael, I accept the challenge. :laugh I will have to look at the lists again and hit the automatic teller before I leave Friday night. :tongue

See everyone Saturday morning! :mosher

Hubgeezer

Okay, here is a report on the Big Guys:

1. Clay Edgin won't come because he is afraid of us. :cool

2. Dave Tharp. Damn, you know, I thought with the help of Dr. Strossen, we were going to find him. We didn't. You can find video of him in the movie archives lifting the Inch and pulling 212 at Kevin's Iron Grip Challenge in March of 2004. He was around 5 ft 9 inches, 270 lbs, could bench press 600, would now be around 36, 8 inch hands, a real animal. Our loss.

3. Morgan Guthner, Maidenfan on the Board. Nope, couldn't convince him. He lives in the Northwest, can do 400 on the Axle, close the 3, go around 240 for the Rolling Thunder, and who knows what else. The time, travel and money was too much to overcome, even with the Charismatic Charm of the California Cultists. I tried.

4. R Klein. He posted that he couldn't make it.

5. That only leaves Scot Mendelson. No application fee received, I presume, so it sounds a little far fetched to me.

The only way I can avoid buying the pizza (see my promise and predictions dozens of posts back) is to personally pull off multiple upsets so that Ronnie will have more wrong answers than I. Like my bet with VBar guru Mikael, I accept the challenge. :laugh I will have to look at the lists again and hit the automatic teller before I leave Friday night. :tongue

See everyone Saturday morning! :mosher

Hubgeezer

Don't worry about it man. I will bring in free stuff for everyone, like free Powerbars, Powerbar Gels and Phonebooks alike. Anyways, I've only trained my grip once a week, so I'm no threat to anyone in the contest in any event. I've been concentrating a lot of my training to help improve my squats and bench, so I can increase my total for my next powerlifting meet. I'm pretty sure that my predictions are way off, since everyone in here are way better than me in grip. Also, I've been using straps on all my heavy deadlifts. The lists goes on, but unfortunately, I couldn't get anyone that I know at my gym to go this contest, so I failed in helping out in getting my entries. Sucks.

Just sent in my entry form and money. ill weigh around 195lbs.

Entry was received yesterday, thank you! And thanx for making us sweat...

Is this weight loss voluntary? Will your performances be around the same (better?!!!) Looking forward to seeing you (dad too?) and the rest of you hand-crushing sickos. Please travel safely; I hear it's supposed to be decent weather-wise this Saturday.

Hey Geezer, pizza's on me!!! Go put on your own contests (LOL)...Just kidding, but hey you don't need to spend anymore than necessary, coming from where you are and gas at the price it is...

KM

:mosher:rock:mosher:rock:mosher

His performances were:

Kevin make all the jokes you want, but I not going to forget about the four feet.

Nice numbers you really should compete. :rock

I'm sure you've all been holding your breath to hear from me (please note the sarcasm), but I am not going to be able to compete this weekend in Chatsworth as intended. I had not sent in my entry form for fear that this would happen, and I am obliged to work this weekend.

I'm sorry I won't get to see my gripbuddies, and will look forward to the results on Saturday night.

Zach

I'm sure you've all been holding your breath to hear from me (please note the sarcasm), but I am not going to be able to compete this weekend in Chatsworth as intended. I had not sent in my entry form for fear that this would happen, and I am obliged to work this weekend.

I'm sorry I won't get to see my gripbuddies, and will look forward to the results on Saturday night.

Zach

ACCKK ZACH!!! Bummer, a real bummer. You will be missed. Hopefully there will be more down there.

Mike

Zach

Ah man. I'm sorry to hear about that Zach. You will be missed. I guess Mike will be paying everyone by pizzas then. :whistel

Edited by supermagnamon

But the good news is that i will be there in some kind of capacity. :tongue

I'd like to do the events but some i may not be able to.

My wrist roller speed though is looking good.I'd like to try that one.I guess we'll see.

I will be smashed by you guys since i have only been getting back more seriously with my grip stuff the past few weeks.Before that i was getting ready for the USPF state meet which took alot my time.

I know how ronnie's feeling right now.

Hub geezer can't be the only old fart there.I just turned 49 last week.Wooowhooo.

My wrist roller speed though is looking good.I'd like to try that one.I guess we'll see.

I will be smashed by you guys since i have only been getting back more seriously with my grip stuff the past few weeks.Before that i was getting ready for the USPF state meet which took alot my time.

Hub geezer can't be the only old fart there.I just turned 49 last week.Wooowhooo.

Well alright then, happy birthday and i look forward to seeing you there, oh and keep working on the wrist roll cuz i intend to win it this year... :cool

Zach

That sucks man, i was looking forward to seeing u, but hey u probably dont know me or even remember who i am, :whistel , so hey i guess it works. sorry again...

Kevin, I weighted 248.6 today when I got home for work, and no fingers were needed to make that weight. :whistel

How early will you be there so I can weight in and finally eat. Food, Food, hmm, hmm, good. :whistel

If I bring you back the one foot trophy, will you bring me my justly earned five foot trophy?

Kevin, I weighted 248.6 today when I got home for work, and no fingers were needed to make that weight. :whistel

How early will you be there so I can weight in and finally eat. Food, Food, hmm, hmm, good. :whistel

That's too funny man. I just ate a gallon of ice cream. Hmm. Hmmm. Good :)

He wouldn't be the only 'fart' there anyway, as I've heard tell of that the gym owner turned (gasp!!!) 50 Dec. 31st of last year...so Steve you'll only be the 3rd oldest dude there; and if Larry hadn't gone out of town you'd be only the 4th oldest (and I'd be the 3rd)...and hey isn't KB Sr. now closer to 50 than he is to 30??? How time flies when you're having fun gripping!

Happy Birthday...it's all downhill from here!!!

And Zach, what's up with the lame 'I gotta work this Saturday" :angry: excuse? Where's your priorities?? Evidently making money comes before making heavy Plate Pinches!?!? Tell you what, I'll write you a note excusing you from work. :cool They say ya can't take it (money) with you, but you can take memories of melted chains caused by 4 second wrist rolls, or 240lb Plate Pinches...it's not too late to pick up the phone and let the bossman know you can't make it in. We'll disavow any knowledge of your presence at the contest. :mosher:mosher:mosher:calm:calm:calm

KM

Edited by ironwarrior

Zach

Here's whatchu missed:

Order of Events:

COC's (timed)/ Vert/ DOH Axle DL/ 2H Pinch/ WristRoll/ Block/ PhatAssDB/ Hub/ RT/ DLHold 500lbs (timed)

200 lb Class:

1. Kevin Bussi 5948pts #3-23.31/ 301/ 290/ 190/ 7.12/ 68.0/ 92/ 60.5/ 182/ 26.22

2. Rick Haenel 4558pts #2-19.44/ 221/ 305/ 160/ 8.78/ 55.5/ 77/ 40.5/ 157/ 21.94 (PRs in every event)

3. Larry Battafarano 2956pts T-16.19/ 145/ 244/ 155/ 13.61/ 45.0/ 58/ 38.0/ 139.5/ 5.97 (lifted last Sunday)

225 lb Class:

1. Mike Corlett 5474pts #2-29.66/ 306/ 325/ 170/ 11.12/ 63.0/ 103/ 65.5*/ 202*/ 23.19

250 lb Class

1. Bill McCaslin 4710pts #3-8.82/ 241/ 275/ 135/ 7.19/ 48.0/ 82/ 45.5/ 152/ 8.68 (PRs in several events)

250+ Class

1. Ronnie Castro 3671pts #2-12.94/ 266/ 340/ -180-/ 13.75/ 58.0/ 82/ -40.5-/ 167/ 23.72 (zero in 2 events)

Master 45-49

1. Steve Belanger 3776pts #1-17.34/ 216/ 264/ 140/ 6.47/ 55.5/ 77/ 40.5/ 137/ 0

Junior 17-19

1. Stephen Martinez 5072pts #2-17.59/ 281/ 355*/ 170/ 9.75/ 60.5/ 103*/ 45.5/ 152/ 21.00

Junior 20-22

1. Adam Demnowicz 5710pts #3-11.87/ 301/ 305/ 175/ 6.79/ 58.0/ 97/ 55.5/ 172/ 30.50

*- indicates new gym and meet records

Haenel put 800 points on his total from last years' contest, most improved lifter at the contest, kept the atmosphere light with some cool one-liners...Bussi seemed a tad out of focus, and a bit frustrated but got a big jump on everyone with his usual BIG Capt of Crush performance...Corlett (51??) gets better with age as evidenced by a PR 325 AxleDL, to go along with gym and meet records in the Hub and RT...McCaslin was in the thick of things after the COCs, but couldn't sustain the momentum, still PRd on some events...Castro seemed to let his failures in the 2-H Pinch affect him the rest of the contest, and 2 "zero points" events kept his point total way down from what he's capable of...Belanger had some reservations about entering, but came thru magnificently, which included a Gold medal in the WristRoll...Martinez is only 18 but has TONS of raw potential; his easy 355 AxleDL allowed him to take the gold medal (breaking Clay's gym and Meet records), and with some refinement on his technique in the other events will have him challenging seriously for this title next year...Adam Demnowicz was considered a pre-meet darkhorse at best, but gave Bussi cause to look over his shoulder a few times; he was so consistent in each event that he failed to medal in only one event, capped by gold in the DLHold. The depth of performance was outstanding today, with 3 closing the #3, 3 "Verticalling" 300+ lbs, 5 over 300 in the Axle DL!!!

Back home. Have not gone to bed yet. Here is another shakedown of the results:

Medal Count

Bussi 8, medaled in all but Axle and Jumbo Dumbbell

Demnowicz 8, medaled in all but Axle and Pinch Block

Corlett 6

Martinez 4

Castro 2

Belanger 1

McCaslin 1

Total 30

First Places

Corlett 3 (4th one was a tie, Jumbo Dumbbell, lost to Martinez's lower bodyweight)

Bussi 3

Martinez 2 (One was tie with Corlett but had lower bodyweight)

Demnowicz 1

Berlanger 1

Total 10

Who's that Berlanger guy anyway?