Southern Galifornia Iron Grip Decathlon Challenge

supermagnamon

I was going to make an unannounced appearance at the contest but the wife informs me that our tax refund has already been spent on meaningless things like credit card bills and brakes for her car. Ah well. Good luck all.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supermagnamon

• ironwarrior

• Hubgeezer

• THOR

I printed out the 3 different Kevin Meskew contest flyers that have been posted on this thread by Ronnie. Last Thursday I sent in an order to IronMind and enclosed the flyers for Dr. Randy, asking him to post an announcement on his website. Some time this afternoon, it went up on the IronMind News part of the website. It mainly speaks of the Grip Decathlon, and mentions the other two in passing.

I also sent him an extra grip decathlon flyer, requesting that if Dave Tharp was still a customer, could he pass it along to him. I understand people are protective of others' privacy, but I don't think it would be a problem for him to send it to him if he had it. I figure if anyone would have Tharp's current address, it would be R.S.

Hubgeezer

The more the merrier--the better the competition, the better we all perform. As Mike (HG) and I have discussed, it's better to get one's ass handed to them in a tough field of competitors than to win first in a field of the same 5 guys.

Bring it on, all!

Zach

I printed out the 3 different Kevin Meskew contest flyers that have been posted on this thread by Ronnie. Last Thursday I sent in an order to IronMind and enclosed the flyers for Dr. Randy, asking him to post an announcement on his website. Some time this afternoon, it went up on the IronMind News part of the website. It mainly speaks of the Grip Decathlon, and mentions the other two in passing.

I also sent him an extra grip decathlon flyer, requesting that if Dave Tharp was still a customer, could he pass it along to him. I understand people are protective of others' privacy, but I don't think it would be a problem for him to send it to him if he had it. I figure if anyone would have Tharp's current address, it would be R.S.

Hubgeezer

Sweet!!! I just saw that on Ironmind.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/morenews.php?id=1509

HAHAHA I'm so gonna get my ass kicked at this contest. Dead last here I come! Oh well, if I can outperform how I did last year (and that shouldn't be TOO difficult) I'll be content with that.

NO! NO! NO! Last place belongs to me. Its mine and I'll win it fare and square.

I wish Ohio was closer to you all - this thing sounds like a lot of fun!

HAHAHA I'm so gonna get my ass kicked at this contest. Dead last here I come! Oh well, if I can outperform how I did last year (and that shouldn't be TOO difficult) I'll be content with that.

NO! NO! NO! Last place belongs to me. Its mine and I'll win it fare and square.

You only wish!!!!!!!!! Not if Meskew enters...!!!!!!!

:cool

Hubgeezer

Sweet!!! I just saw that on Ironmind.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/morenews.php?id=1509

Thank you Mike,

Hey, I clicked on the link and didn't see it!!

:angry::angry::angry:

I wish Ohio was closer to you all - this thing sounds like a lot of fun!

L.A. Thurs forecast- mid 60s-to low 70s...any more reason needed to come on out here? We'd love to have you here...!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher

So how'd it go?

So how'd it go?

It's not April 29th, yet. It's April's Fools Day today.

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin,

The order that you have the events is the same order as the March of 2005 contest. The only difference is that now, instead of the plate curl, there is the Vertical Bar lift.

I personally am happy with the way the events are now. Seeing as I will not be holding a quarter with a #3, it would be best to my advantage if the grippers were switched in order with the Rolling Thunder. I suspect that if the grippers were the 9th event, then some of the #3 guys would only be #2 guys. I would still be a #2 guy.

I support the way you have it above.

I would also love to see the grippers as the 9th event, right before the trap bar hold. :tongue

Hubgeezer

Got one entry in hand so far...Stephen Martinez of Rancho Cucamongo, 18 years of age, met he and his dad at Steve B's Grip Gathering last December, and built like a shit brickhouse! Stephen was handling some pretty impressive stuff there...looks like a definite threat in the Junior Division!

Let's pray for 'geezer and hope this tax season doesn't hurt his Hubbing!

Kevin

Never a horse that couldn't be rode...

Never a rider that couldn't be throwed

Edited by ironwarrior

One entry. Well, April 18, I will be mailing mine in to you.

I have a wounded left ring finger from a wedding band incident, but I will be fine.

Hubgeezer

I will probably come there to support you guys.

I have an issue with my elbow that won't allow me to be able to do all the events.

It's the same one i had last year but it's getting worse.I see an orthopedic doc in May on the issue.

Kevin or Ronnie maybe i can be a guest lifter and just do some events unofficially and help you out with what ever you need me to do.What do you think?

Either way i'm pretty sure i'll be there.

I noticed you have a lot of thick bar stuff but no wrist strength events other than the wrist roller.How about something like the gorner block lift?Just an idea.

By the way the kid Steve Martinez reminds me of an up and coming Kevin Bussi.He has alot of raw strength.If gets his technique on things down like Kevin he will be a force to recon with.

Edited by Steve B.

I tried doing Stiff-Legged Deadlifts on a 4" Ply Wood using the Apollon Axle on a DO grip, I barely got 312lbs for a couple of reps and sets. Also, I barely did 2 sets of 197lbs BTW RT, so I'm not looking too good to do the contest after going through this workout this morning. I think I'll just skip all the events that are not support grip and pinch to save myself the embarrassment, if I do plan on going. I'm pretty sure that I'll do some squats and deadlifts before the contest, though. My grip is not looking too good now. :cry

Well what about it guys?

I wouldn't mind if you did some lifts unofficially. That sounds cool. I know for sure that I will not be using all my attempts on all the events. I'm still not ready to go. I'm still concentrated on the powerlifting meet in May. Also, in June I'll be doing 2 meets back to back weeks.

Well what about it guys?

If you are asking if Steve B being there halfway is better than not at all, I am sure most everyone would be happy to see your smiling face. Yes, by all means come and participate to the extent you are healthy. We know how much you want to get a medal in the wrist roll competition, and we don't want to keep you from rolling past the young guys doing it. Are those wrists of yours genetic, the result of hard work, or from performance enhancing substances? :whistel

Look forward to seeing you Steve.

Hubgeezer

I would be happy to see you Steve, and lifting in only some events is fine with me.

I may only be lifting in some of the events do to an injury to my right forearm that I got trying to cert on the FBBC 1/4 x 7" Square stock. I haven't been able to train my right hand for a week now and its not getting any better do to work. So I going to show up hang out with you guys and lift with my left hand and see how things go.

I would be happy to see you Steve, and lifting in only some events is fine with me.

I may only be lifting in some of the events do to an injury to my right forearm that I got trying to cert on the FBBC 1/4 x 7" Square stock. I haven't been able to train my right hand for a week now and its not getting any better do to work. So I going to show up hang out with you guys and lift with my left hand and see how things go.

I'm sorry to hear about that Bill. I hope you heal up soon and get some PRs at the contest.

I will probably come there to support you guys.

I have an issue with my elbow that won't allow me to be able to do all the events.

It's the same one i had last year but it's getting worse.I see an orthopedic doc in May on the issue.

Kevin or Ronnie maybe i can be a guest lifter and just do some events unofficially and help you out with what ever you need me to do.What do you think?

Either way i'm pretty sure i'll be there.

I noticed you have a lot of thick bar stuff but no wrist strength events other than the wrist roller.How about something like the gorner block lift?Just an idea.

By the way the kid Steve Martinez reminds me of an up and coming Kevin Bussi.He has alot of raw strength.If gets his technique on things down like Kevin he will be a force to recon with.

Steve, I thought I replied to your "plighted" message, but evidently it didn't make it through...damn dialup !!!

Anyway, I'll say it again: please do come! As meet director, I'll make sure you're taken care of (aside from getting bad lifts passed, that is) and will do my best to assure your needs are met. You're an integral part of the local grip scene, and you were sorely missed at the last one here! I'll see about perhaps having the under side of the trapbar we'll be using again for the deadlift hold welded with some bars that'll face the front of the body, that way contestants will have the option of using a "palms facing in" at sides grip or "palms facing towards your back" grip. Hopefully I explained well enough...

There's been a lot of 3rd party talk going on about what kind of performances will be taking place April 29th, that the PlatePinch, RollingThunder, and Hub, among others, records are gonna fall...I'm looking forward to seeing this Martinez kid in action, judging from his forearm development, I think his wrist roll would be pretty damn good.

STEVE WE LOVE YA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

Entry form has been sent. Based on my schedule, I will squat and deadlift heavy before the meet starts. I need to get those lifts in, since the grip contest is one week away from the powerlifting meet in San Diego. So if any of you show up early, I will squat 825lbs that day and go light on deadlifts. I will use straps btw on the Deadlifts. :whistel

Kevin i didn't get your messeage but thanks for posting it here.

I will see you guys and hopefully get into the mix.

But you know i am an old man and need alot of :help . :yikes

Don't worry about screwing around with your trap bar Kevin.

If i can lift it i will, if i can't to bad for me.

Edited by Steve B.