Southern Galifornia Iron Grip Decathlon Challenge

supermagnamon

Events:

1. COC's (hold for time)

2. Vertical Lift

3. Apollon Axle Deadlift (Double Overhand)

4. 2 Hand Pinch

5. Wrist Roller (75lbs for 5 Feet)

6. Block (3")

7. "Phat-Ass" DB 1 Hand Deadlift (3.375" Handle)

8. Hub

9. Rolling Thunder

10. Deadlift Hold for Time (500lbs)

You can contact me by PM or contact Kevin Meskew at (818)-723-3350 or e-mail at warrior01@earthlink.net for more information. I will post the entry forms this Friday night.

Thanks,

Ronnie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supermagnamon

• ironwarrior

• Hubgeezer

• THOR

Another gripathon! Man, that will take a looooong while too :D

The Apollon Axle Deadlift (Double Overhand), The "Phat-Ass" DB 1 Hand Deadlift (3.375" Handle), The Rolling Thunder and Deadlift Hold for Time (500lbs) should be mine for the taking.

The Apollon Axle Deadlift (Double Overhand), The "Phat-Ass" DB 1 Hand Deadlift (3.375" Handle), The Rolling Thunder and Deadlift Hold for Time (500lbs) should be mine for the taking.

Hey, what is this? Starting the Trash Talking early here? We don't even know who is entering yet! :tongue

Hubgeezer

Hey, what is this? Starting the Trash Talking early here? We don't even know who is entering yet! :tongue

Hubgeezer

I know at least 3 people besides me that are going. I'm pretty sure my support grip is a lot higher then the last time we met.

Last time the 500lb hold for time was contested, the trap bar was on top of some wooden blocks so you only had to lift it a few inches to lock it out. Even Hubgeezer (I always mistype that and write "Hugbeezer" for some reason) manhandled that weight.

For those that have never tried it, contesting 10 events in one day is damn tough. You had better have started conditioning your hands for something like this a couple months ago in order to hit good max efforts on every event. Be prepared to stay mentally strong for a solid 8 hours too.

Last time the 500lb hold for time was contested, the trap bar was on top of some wooden blocks so you only had to lift it a few inches to lock it out. Even Hubgeezer (I always mistype that and write "Hugbeezer" for some reason) manhandled that weight.

"Even Hubgeezer"? It is great to be treated as handicapped. :blink

Since I joined the Gripboard, I have gotten used to it. :D

HG

For those that have never tried it, contesting 10 events in one day is damn tough. You had better have started conditioning your hands for something like this a couple months ago in order to hit good max efforts on every event. Be prepared to stay mentally strong for a solid 8 hours too.

I'm not worried. Some events I already know who is going to win it, so I'll just back off the grippers, the wrist roller and the hub, then.

Darn - I wish this thing was closer to me - I'd love to play!

Correction: The Souther California Iron Grip Decathlon Challenge will be held on Saturday, April 29th, 2006.

Correction: The Souther California Iron Grip Decathlon Challenge will be held on Saturday, April 29th, 2006.

So... not only am I short, pale, and ugly, but I can't read calendars either...!!! Yes, I meant the 29th, thanx for clearing that up Ronnie.

Anyway, my gym manager Larry tried the plate pinch for the first time this past weekend and pulled up 155 pretty easily, and said he's looking to enter the contest also. His COC tho is a bit hard, barely closing the Trainer; he stands about 5'5" weighs like 220, and has incredibly thick fingers, his hand barely bigger than mine.

So, to all of you with grip decathlon experience...do you "pace" yourself, or do you take it easy for the first half then go balls-out the 2nd, or do you go max on every event and hope you have enough left in the tank come events 8, 9, and 10, or do you 'coast' in your weaker events, then turn it on in your stronger events?

Last year's event I believe we finished somewhere around 4:30-5pm...correct me if I'm wrong (which seems to be a trend lately)

:tongue Kevin Meskew :whacked

I'll go easy on my weak events and and my strong events, I'll go all out if I have to or just enough for the win. :whistel

His COC tho is a bit hard

CAREFUL, Kevin! There will be no "Brokeback Gripping" going on. ;)

I think the best way to approach the events is to score as many points as possible in your best events and then try to score as many points as possible during your worst events. That seems to work :)

I think the best way to approach the events is to score as many points as possible in your best events and then try to score as many points as possible during your worst events. That seems to work :)

WAY too astute for me to even consider fathoming...!!!! Confucius (sp), Aristotle, etc have absolutely nothing on you!!!

Sounds to me like like some good'ole New Mexican humor

Better alert Strossen that his grippers have mysteriously become associated with alternative lifestyle flicks!

:mosher

Edited by ironwarrior

Fat Boy and yours truly will be there so u all have to wacth out now, be afraid, be very afraid :trout

Myself and Adam "Thor" will be there so like Adam said be afraid be very very afraid. Were just going to show up and keep chipping away at Ronnie's so called point leads and let handygripperman run away with the whole thing, again...

As for being so sure about winning all the events u better hope for sure that Clay doesn't show up :help

I'm 100% sure that I won't win the contest, but I'm a 100% sure that I'll win at least 2 events. That's the only goal I have for the contest. I will also bring some Tiger Balm Sport, because I want to make sure I can type at work the next day.

Myself and Adam "Thor" will be there so like Adam said be afraid be very very afraid. Were just going to show up and keep chipping away at Ronnie's so called point leads and let handygripperman run away with the whole thing, again...

As for being so sure about winning all the events u better hope for sure that Clay doesn't show up :help

AHHH, the smell of grip talktrash in the morning...............

I know Ronnie's strength is much improved, as evidenced by his 661 deadlift at the FITEXPO, (I think it was that much, correct me if I'm wrong Ronnie), quite impressive as he DL'ed "only" 589 at my meet in October. I think he can win a few events...also we can't forget that Bussi is a pretty strong SOB also. He could break 200 in the Plate Pinch, is just millimeters away from a #4 closure, and claims a Block lift of close to 100!!! It'll all depend on how close his competitors stay with him. A BIG COC (eeeasy there, Clay!!!) performance might give him a huge (eeeasy there, Clay!!!) cushion that may be too large to overcome; however a stumble in the subsequent events may open the door...that's the beauty of the point scoring system. This will be an interesting contest.

Let's not forget Corlett or Harrison either...

KM

Never a horse that couldn't be rode;

Never a rider that couldn't be throwed

Predictions on the winners for each event:

1. COC's (hold for time)- Handgripperman

2. Vertical Lift- Handgripperman

3. Apollon Axle Deadlift (Double Overhand) Supermagnamon

4. 2 Hand Pinch Handgripperman

5. Wrist Roller (75lbs for 5 Feet) Thor

6. Block (3") Handgripperman

7. "Phat-Ass" DB 1 Hand Deadlift (3.375" Handle) Supermagnamon

8. Hub Handgripperman

9. Rolling Thunder Supermagnamon

10. Deadlift Hold for Time (500lbs) Supermagnamon

Based on the last contest, everyone will win on their respective weight class. Unless Clay goes or some unknown big guy goes, my predictions will stay the same. I'm pretty sure everyone is at another level now, but it will be great to see, who progressed the most. My strategy is based around the support grip events. That's pretty much it.

AHHH, the smell of grip talktrash in the morning...............

I know Ronnie's strength is much improved, as evidenced by his 661 deadlift at the FITEXPO, (I think it was that much, correct me if I'm wrong Ronnie), quite impressive as he DL'ed "only" 589 at my meet in October. I think he can win a few events...also we can't forget that Bussi is a pretty strong SOB also. He could break 200 in the Plate Pinch, is just millimeters away from a #4 closure, and claims a Block lift of close to 100!!! It'll all depend on how close his competitors stay with him. A BIG COC (eeeasy there, Clay!!!) performance might give him a huge (eeeasy there, Clay!!!) cushion that may be too large to overcome; however a stumble in the subsequent events may open the door...that's the beauty of the point scoring system. This will be an interesting contest.

Let's not forget Corlett or Harrison either...

KM

Never a horse that couldn't be rode;

Never a rider that couldn't be throwed

Kev, Dan's not going. He'll be competing in the Hawaii's Strongest Man contest this year.

My pick is for Kevin Bussi to win the overall. If Zach Passman competes and has been at least casually training, he should be 2nd or 3rd. Hard to say for sure though; I've been out of the loop and there are a lot of new guys with their foot in the door.

A BIG COC (eeeasy there, Clay!!!) performance might give him a huge (eeeasy there, Clay!!!) cushion that may be too large to overcome

Too...many...gay...jokes....can't...tell...them...all!!!!

After a review of my last grip workouts, I am letting everyone know, that I will lose for sure on all the non-related support grip events, including the V-Bar. I'm not sure about the pinch, though. I still think I can get about 190lbs- 200lbs on the 2 Hand Pinch. I will be better prepared on the grippers, though. I should be able to start with the IM#3.