Deadlift Race Log

Rick Walker

Rick, yes, I simply decided to stay with doubles for now. I jumped 30 pounds this week. Closer towards the meet I may opt for singles, Rick Walker style. But yes, I think it's best to split the two lifts up for maximal gains.

John, we're roughly the same age, so I know what you mean about the "old man" factor. I used to be able to do criminally insane things to my lower back (stiff legged deads off the blocks with 500 pounds, after regular deads). And awesome pulling, buddy!

Jason, I think that's probably a good point about the therapeutic effects of pullups. I chose rows mainly because they more closely resemble the deadlifting pulling motion. Thoughts?

Supermagnamon, yep, I would sometimes do all three lifts on the same day when preparing for power meets.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• EricMilfeld

• John Beatty

• supermagnamon

12/30/05

-close stance squats, heals 12" or less apart, no belt: 415 5x1

-front squats, ass-to-basement, no belt, racked clean style: 315 3x1

On squat days, the bottom ups and front squats will be alternated. I like the way the front squat works my back and hopefully carries over to the push press.

-Rick

12/30/05

-close stance squats, heals 12" or less apart, no belt: 415 5x1

-front squats, ass-to-basement, no belt, racked clean style: 315 3x1

On squat days, the bottom ups and front squats will be alternated. I like the way the front squat works my back and hopefully carries over to the push press.

-Rick

i like front squats as well. they definitely have a carry over for me on the push press and the power jerk.

Last week after my first round of the close stance squats with no gear at all, I was hurting. My knees were very sore and aching, and I had some pretty good hamstring soreness as well.

The good news is, today everything feels good. No knee pain, no soreness. I think my body adpats pretty quickly, and I just had to remind my knees that I used to squat that way with no pain! :tongue I actually don't even feel like I worked out!

Thursday I did some raw benching-didn't even wear wrist wraps which is a first for me. I have been wearing wrist wraps every bench or overhead day since I was 18. Pretty sad, I know. It was strange to train without them. Did a measly 265 for 3x3. Nice and easy, but I am not interested in pushing the bench to hard to fast for a number of reasons. I followed that with a steep incline bench with 195 for 3x3. I used my clean grip on these, and today, my front delts are still smoking! I have never trained the incline bench, but I think it may just carry over to my pathletic excuse for an overhead press. :erm

Today may see some log press work. Not sure yet-depends on if I can muster up some motivation. I discovered the ADAU Power Day Classic is April 29th, so that is goal day for 700. I certainly do not wish failure on my opponents in this log, however, I hope I score the 700 before they hit their goals... :whistel:tongue

-Rick

Changes

I have been thinking a lot about what Eric said in his post about deadlifting and squatting on the same day in order to save his back. It makes sense-Friday my back was still quite tender from pulling Tuesday. Not bad sore, just muscle soreness left over.

I think I am going to give it a try for awhile and see how it goes. It is going to be pretty brutal as I will continue to go heavy and do singles, so the day will be quite taxing and I will need a week to recover.

It will look like this:

1. Sumo Deads w/no belt: 5x1

2. Conventional rack pulls from sticking point: 3x1

3. Close stance high bar squats w/no belt: 5x1

4. Alternating bottom-ups and front squats w/no belt: 3x1

5. Neck

6. Abs

This will do a few things for me. First it will give me 6 full days of rest for my back, hips, legs, glutes, etc. Second, it will allow me to get away from that Monday morning 6:30 am deadlift workout that was killing me! Weights that are light at 1 pm are stupid heavy at 6:30 am! :whacked Third, it will allow me to spend some much needed time on my conditioning via sled pulls and my eliptical trainer. Sled pulls at 6:30 am in the 0 degree weather I can handle! And fourth, it will allow me time during the week to work on my sad overhead strength.

Basic template will be:

Day 1-Friday: Same as above

Day 2-Saturday: event work/conditioning

Day 3-Monday: overhead work/odd lifts

Day 4-Wednesday: bench press/tricep work

Have a decent food and supplement intake schedule mapped out to hopefully keep me from over training.

-Rick

Looks like a good routine, Rick.

1-03-2006

bodyweight: 209

Deadlifts

245x5

245x3 (stiff legged)

335x3

445x1

561x2

Squats

245x3

335x1

406x2

Dumbell Rows (actually a farmer's walk implement)

Right: 165x9

Left: 165x9

Eric-

Looking strong! Keep it up-

Austin and John: You fellas still out there??? Let us know how the training is going.

Austin: you use that suit yet? Any problems with it? How does it fit?

I have had a good week of training thus far and looking forward to Friday's session of deadlifting (555 for 5x1) and close stance high bar squats (425 for 5x1). The belt won't go on in deads until I hit sumo 605 for 5x1 and close stance high bars for 500 5x1. I am actually finding the belt to be a hinderance in the squat lately.

Not counting this week, I have 5 more weeks of pulling sumo before I go for a conventional single. That should put me right at 605 for 5x1 sumo and 685 for 3x1 conventional at sticking point in the rack. I am guessing 660-670 will ride.

Benched yesterday and was pretty happy with it. Did 300 for 5x1 with wrist wraps only and they were explosive reps. I am much stronger in the upper body then I was pre pec tear. Even though I am not at my best raw max yet (360) I can tell it is only a matter of months and I will be there. Everything feels good.

-Rick

Rick,

Still here buddy. Ill be pulling on saturday. The suit was too small but thats ok. I have a lady that is going to try and modify it. Everybodys pulls are looking good! Im at 450x5 this wk. Ill just keep pluggin away and see what happens. . .

Austin

Sorry guys, just lazy.

Mon shoulders -

Strict press - 145 x 10, 195 x 8, 235 x 8, 265 x 3, 285 x 2, 305 x 1 (PR & first strict over 300!)

seated rack tops - 3 sets

Db hammer curls - 60 x 8 x 2

straight bar curls - 125 x 8 x 2

Rear delts

Tues - Strongman - 800 tire for a few get the blood going flips, Yoke walk starts (short runs just to get the feel) 750 for 20 feet, 900 for 20 feet, Stones

Today-

Week 2 of the Shock program for squats - went up 20lbs

Squats - 165 x 40, 255 x 30, 345 x 20, 435 x 10, 525 x 5 - Loose belt & wraps on 525 only

Calf raises

The shock program for squats sounds like an electrocution :flame

I can't tell on whose winning the race now. :blink

squats and deads on the same day. :blink

I think I would lay in bed for about forty eight hours after that with the wife getting me ice and heat packs.

The shock program for squats sounds like an electrocution :flame

It sucks, but I get SO much stronger after 4 weeks it's crazy. The second set is the worst - that's where the nausea really gets you. 20's never bothered me, but in this program, you hit the last 3 reps trying to swallow a lot. The 10 & 5 rep sets feel really strong, surprisingly.

I can't tell on whose winning the race now. :blink

Rick, I'd say. Followed closely by Eric, then Austin, though since Austin's been off deads for a while, he could snap back quickly. I'll put myself in last, as I don't even plan a max contest attempt until the fall.

Next week deads will be a light week on tues. I'm doing the Monsters of the Midwest Strongman show & have to do a Silver dollar dead on Sat the 14th, so I'd like to hit 1,000 on that (I'd really like to get 1120 for the WR, but not going to get close due to short notice & no training).

Edited by John Beatty

01/06/06

UGH. Bad day-not sure why.

-sumo deads: 555 for 5x1. These were so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow off the floor it was freakin' agonizing. So, for a 6th single I did one conventional and it was just as slow. WTF?

Problem: no speed. Speed off the ground was always my thing-I could yank 700 off the ground, just couldn't lock it out. So, I started doing the rack pulls from the pins at sticking point and it killed me speed.

Solution: put the pulls off the 6" box back in. Gotta do them.

-Deads off 6" box: a nice and easy 405 for 3x1. My best off the 6" is 555. Ironically.

-Front squats: 225 for 3x3. Knees have been sore as shit since I added the push press back into my routine. So, something needs to give and that something is the squats. I will do fronts only and see how it goes. Working on form, controlling the weight, and eliminating any bounce. Front Squat Form

-then did a bunch of lifts with the Ironmind ring and 280 pounds.

-Rick

01/06/06

UGH. Bad day-not sure why.

-sumo deads: 555 for 5x1. These were so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow off the floor it was freakin' agonizing. So, for a 6th single I did one conventional and it was just as slow. WTF?

Problem: no speed. Speed off the ground was always my thing-I could yank 700 off the ground, just couldn't lock it out. So, I started doing the rack pulls from the pins at sticking point and it killed me speed.

Solution: put the pulls off the 6" box back in. Gotta do them.

-Deads off 6" box: a nice and easy 405 for 3x1. My best off the 6" is 555. Ironically.

-Front squats: 225 for 3x3. Knees have been sore as shit since I added the push press back into my routine. So, something needs to give and that something is the squats. I will do fronts only and see how it goes. Working on form, controlling the weight, and eliminating any bounce. Front Squat Form

-then did a bunch of lifts with the Ironmind ring and 280 pounds.

-Rick

damn, rick. i get the same problem as well, when i the rack deadlifts, even though i do plyos on the side.

1-06-2006

Shrugs

245x10

335x5

506x5

Last night - Bench

135 x 20, 225 x 10, 305 x 5, 385 x 3, x2, x1

A PR triple

Curls & rear delts & out.

Sat-

135,225,315x10 double overhand no belt.

I had planned on pulling 475x5 but just didnt feel right so I just did some reps at 315. I usually pull heavy every other wk so Ill just pull heavy next wk. I think Im good for mid 500's so hopefully I can make it happen within a month or 2. Whatever I pull for 5 Im good for about 100 more for a single.

Great work guys!

1-09-2006

bodyweight: 210

Deadlifts

245x5

335x3

445x1

515x1

571x2

Squats

245x5

335x2

416x2

Dumbbell Rows

Right: 180x7

Left: 180x7

As I gain weight my leg, glute, and hip strength is affected moreso than my lower back strength. So, to take advantage of this I decided to widen my stance a couple of inches. My pulls did feel more solid from knee level and above, as a result. The initial pull was a bit more taxing, though. In fact, something funny happened. I went to pull my last warmup of 515 and didn't even clear the floor. :ohmy I adjusted my mindset a bit, and presto, up it went. I was mistakenly focusing on summoning all the leg and hip strength I could muster, and completely forgot about my lower back.

Great lifting Eric!

01/09/06

-Push Press: 205 for 3x3. First time doing these in a LONG time and they felt great. Shoulder feels good finally, and the weight felt effortless.

-Dumbbell Clean and Press: 70s for 3x5. Much easier once I am warmed up! 75's next week, 100s for 5s by May.

-Dumbbell 1-arm Snatch: 100 for 3x1 each arm. Again, not bad. I didn't want to push this as I was sure my shoulders were already wrecked from the above stuff. Next week I will use the 110.

Did this workout in 30 minutes in my jeans and sneakers and with no chalk, at work.

-Rick

Thanks, Smitty. I'm off the rest of the week, Monsters of the Midwest on Sat. Going to try (BIG emphasis on TRY) to take a shot at the WR on the Silver Dollar Dead. It's a heavy show. 900 yoke, 300 log clean every time, Stones (8 of them) 265, 300, 300, 330, 330, 365, 365, 385, Silver Dollar Dead, Hercules hold (400 each hand).

01/11/06

-Bench press, wrist wraps only: 310 for 5x1

-incline bench press: 215 for 3x3

-overhead triceps ext: 130 4x6

-hammer curls: 50s for 3x8