Deadlift Race Log

Rick Walker

Let this be the log for us to post our deadlift workouts in.

I think it will be neat to contrast and compare how we train, and let others see the crazy side of lifting... :laugh

-Rick

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• EricMilfeld

• John Beatty

• supermagnamon

This will be fun!

Muscle Turtle, here's our goals:

Rick - 700

Austin - 600

John - 805

Me - 666

They must be performed in a meet with a picture or video, or in training with video proof.

Austin and Eric are the guys I wanna go after, my best is 545 and I don tstart training for my pull for another 3 weeks, but once it starts, it STARTS!

12/09/05

-Squats: full gear, IPF approved METAL Viking and 5 year old knee wraps. Shouldnt have wrapped at all cause I didnt get shiat from them. Anyway: 585x1, then 655 x miss, 655 x 1 fairly easy. 1 thing about gear-get out of your groove and you get PASTED!

-Squat lockouts from 2" above parallel: suit with straps up and belt. No knee wraps. 655x1, 675x1, 700x miss. Got forward on the chains when I paused in the hole and lost it. Didnt want to risk gutting it out.

-close stance high bars: 225 for 3x3 naked. Paused in the hole. Nice and easy, just a little bit of quad work.

This was after about 1 month off from squatting. I started pulling on Fridays to maximize for that ADAU meet, and was attempting to squat on Mondays. Big mistake-cant get geared up at 7 am on a monday morning to squat knowing I have to go to work!!! So, I just cut squats out for the last month. :online

I was happy with 655 cause it allows me to set up my training cycle for the IPA Ironhorse. No more USAPL crap! Also, 655 without peaking? I will take that any day of the week. Now it is time to get my cycle going and get on track to 700+ in April. Also, in April I will be in pro gear with pro briefs. :kiss

Time to eat and jet over to the chiro-cracker.

-Rick

GL to everyone. I can't wait to see the results of this contest.

Deads from Wed

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 405 x 8, 515 x 5, 605 x 7, 605 x 3

stiffs off a box, touching toes with the bar - 315 x 8, 405 x 5 x 2

shrugs - 495 x 8, 495 x 3 (strap broke) called it quits, as I was at my wife's gym & the strap breaking scared the hell out of the whole place. Was my last set anyway.

I have a question for us. Are we all intending to meet our goal at a meet? And if so, what's the date of your meet? I'm competing February 18th.

John and Rick, lookin' good!

Eric Im planning on competing early next year as well hopefully in february and at the latest in march. I just looked at my log and I havent pulled or squatted in 2 years. Tommorow is my first deadlift workout so I cant wait! Has anyone heard anything about the metal deadlift suit? I pulled in a marathon which I loved but ended up selling and I cant find anyone who sells them anymore.

Marathon is out of business. Austin-what size Marathon do you need my friend? Chances are very good that I can get it for you free of charge. ;)

Eric-My next meet is April 1st and 2nd. However, As long as I get that 700 first, I win. :tongue:whistel

Doesnt have to be in a meet, as long as it is video taped.

-Rick

Rick-

You can still get Marathon suits? I'll gladly pay full price for one, or two even. I loved mine, but as I bought it when I was a non-dieted 198, it doesn't go on too easily. I was going to buy a Metal, since I was told it was the closest thing you could get.

What size you need John?

I can get one to you free of charge providing I have your size-

-Rick

12/10/05

I figure this is deadlift related as it will help the deadlift.

-Sled drags: 135 for 10 trips of 150 steps. In the snow, this is easy. In 10" of snow, this gets hard. :D

-Plyo-jumps onto side of 600 pound tire: 100 or so pund log across shoulders for 3 sets of 5 explosive jumps.

-Rick

First deadlift or lower body workout for a long long time but it felt good.

Block pulls 300 a couple of sets of reps

glute/ham raises 3x6 these were done on the floor manually

back extensions 2x20

Ab work

Bwt=205 down from 225 a few months ago.

I do alot of upper back work but will probably just post my actuall deadlift stuff for now. In case anyone is interested, the deadlift is the hardest lift for me based on my build. Its not an excuse but actually makes it my favorite lift as I have to really work at it to bring it up. I can look at a bench and get stronger there but its just the opposite with the deadlift. Hopefully this will be of some use for others who are built similar to me. I would like to win the challenge but doubt I will but Im hoping to pull 600 sometime next year and will try to keep the log going untill then. Good luck guys!

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd like to see your extra or other workouts as well as the Dead Lift workouts. Just to see what all else you do. thanks again guys.

12-10-05

bodyweight: 196

I'll be wearing a belt only on the top set of squats and deads. I perform my squats to just below parallel. My strategy leading up to the meet is to go to failure on all the assistance movements while leaving atleast 10 pounds on the platform after the top deadlift set. I'm eating like a horse trying to gain 25 pounds, which should cause my squat to jump about a hundred pounds over the next two or three months. My routine is simple: one heavy set per workout, then add ten pounds the following. I train instictively, and my instincts are telling me to do triples and then add ten pounds the following workout.

Here's tonight's action. I felt a bit rusty:

DEADLIFT

245x5

335x3

425x1

486x4

SHRUGS

425x12

BARBELL ROWS

205x9

SQUATS

135x5

366x3

Feelings afterward: I'm very optimistic. And it's great to have a concrete goal with a bunch of iron monsters pushing me!

Austin and Eric: looking good fellas! That rust will get shook off in a hurry.

My first pull workout of this cycle will be tomorrow morning at 7 am.

-Rick

Begining of 15 week cycle to IPA Iron Horse.

Up at 6:30 am, swallowed down a protein drink and banana and was into the cold garage (25) by 7 am.

-Sumo deadlifts: worked up to 500 x 5 singles.

-Rack pulls from 1.5" below knee cap: 605 x 3 singles

-side bends holding bar like suitcase: 135 for 3x6 each side.

Done.

Felt weak as heck today. I chalk that up to a brutal last week-deadlift meet last Sunday, squatted heavy (had 600+ pounds on my back 6 times), then benched heavy on Saturday. Also, I am trying to ease back into this early morning stuff. I hate it, but I gotta do it. Fridays have to be reserved for suit squatting!

Overall not a bad start. I am 15 weeks out, so I didnt want to jump right in sumo pulling 600. As you can see, my deadlit work singles. I dont like, nor get much results from, rep work in the deadlift. The more reps I do, the worse my form becomes. In my mind, pulling with bad form is worse then not pulling at all. The body needs to learn correct positioning, so I stick with singles. My best sumo pull to date is 600, so 500 is 83%. Not a bad place to start.

I will jump 10-15 pounds a week. Probably more as I adapt to this early morning shit.

:upsidedwn

-Rick

Should add that I did all of my pulls double overhand with straps to protect this healing arm.

Also, I did not wear a belt for any of the sets. Probably wont until about 10 weeks in.

-Rick

Man, Rick, you jump right back into the thick of things! After a meet my back and entire body are drained. I usually refrain from dead for two weeks and then start off with about 50% of what I lifted at the meet. I agree with your statement about form going out the window with high reps. I do high reps occasionally, but my workout diet consists mainly of doubles and triples.

I never train sumo, but for some strange reason I can pull just as much using a wide stance. Of course I basically do a stiff legged sumo. Very textbook. :laugh

I'm having a hayday stuffin' my gord! The good ol' seefood diet. After five eggs, some chili, a pint of milk, and a bowl of ice cream after work, I scaled in at an even 200. Even got some love handles creepin' in. :kiss

Man, Rick, you jump right back into the thick of things! After a meet my back and entire body are drained.
If it were a full meet, or if I would have pulled a PR, I would have taken a week or 2. However, I never felt like I even competed! Aside from the arm hurting, my body felt as if I just had a normal training session. Going into that meet I was hitting singles with 645, 650, and 655, so going to the meet and pulling 615 and 643 was just like another day in the garage. Also, I checked the calander and realized that I am only 15 weeks out from the Iron House. That isnt much time! :ohmy
I usually refrain from dead for two weeks and then start off with about 50% of what I lifted at the meet.

This is where I really like Westside training. Of course, WSB doesnt really believe in Western Periodization. Periodization always starts the cycle at 50% or less. I dont really see why you would do this as you are starting out with such light weights that the first 6 weeks or so are spent getting no stronger! I realize the body needs a rest, and I have a rest week worked in, but I dont think the body needs 6 weeks of light work. I start my squat cycle with 490 for 5s!!! Most guys are stating with 275 for 8s or 10s. Not me-I go right into suit bottoms and start high. I just feel I get not only more out of my equipment this way, but I also am strengthening the body the entire 15 weeks, not just the last 4 or 5. Thougts?

I never train sumo, but for some strange reason I can pull just as much using a wide stance. 
I never used to either. But, this past fall I did an experiment. I pulled strictly sumo singles for about 6 weeks, then went back to conventional. My best sumo before that was 545 and I got it up to 600. When I went back to conventional, I ripped 635 up, then 645, then 650! I had been stuck at 600 for sooooo long lately and couldnt figure out why. Sumos really took me over the edge and have me on the downward slope to 700. I will train sumos every other week until the last week before the meet. That last week I will pull 700 for 3 singles conventional-God willing. I just feel like now that I am older, I need to start looking for every edge I can get and train ALL my weaknesses.
I'm having a hayday stuffin' my gord!

It's fun, aint it?!? That is why I said to hell with the 220s and went to the 242s! :yikes

-Rick

I started in the 198's without dieting (187). Had to diet once for Nats & decided after that I'd just lift in whatever class I fit into. Actually I was dieting for another comp & about the 3rd week in I literally got done with a set of squats, stepped out of the rack & said to my training partner "Screw this diet bullshit, let's go get a couple of pizza's. I'm now a non dieted 275 (250).

Edited by John Beatty

Rick, I have a tendency to over analyze, but the longer I partake in this madness the more I seem to adapt a "whatever works at any given time is the right way" philosophy. I follow a few basic guidelines, but no longer try and stay on a very regimental program. Bottom line: are we getting stronger?

John, like your shirt says, "Six packs are for drinking"! I've taken this to heart!