Deadlift Race Log

Rick Walker

thanks Rick, i know that i am stronger than a paltry 245. Where di you get your shoes?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• EricMilfeld

• John Beatty

• supermagnamon

Sorry I haven't posted on the race in a bit.

12/22 squats - tight on time today, decided to hit 4-6 weeks on my shock program.

145 x 40, 235 x 30, 325 x 20, 415 x 10, 505 x 5.

all up until 505 done raw

505 loose belt, loose wraps

Legs very much shot. Will up 10lbs on all sets next time.

Edited by John Beatty

12-23-05

bodyweight: 203

Deadlifts

245x5

335x3

445x1

521x3

Barbell Rows

245x9

Shrugs

475x9

Squats

245x3

335x1

376x3

335x1

385x2

Guys awesome work, bad arse! :bow

I was reading throught and wondering what you guys follow for "workout programs"? I saw Rick mention WSB which I've been wanting to try. Recently tried the Doggcrapp program for awhile and honestly didn't like it as far as strength gains.

What do you guys try and hit for sets/rep ranges when you DL or do you just go by feel? My reps are extremely low (cracked vertabrae @ L5-S1 and lots of other probs) so I've always kept the reps extremely low, like a 225x4, 315x2, 405x1, 435x1, 495x1.

Have you guys tried some high rep workouts with DLing? I know DL taxes the CNS and always hear of guys DLing only a few times a month cause of that. Although compound movements such as DL/ squat/ cleans and other compound movements help release GH and increase blood circulation for increased growth. Just wondering your thoughts/ experiences with high reps.

Also one more question: In your opinion the best exercise to develop DL other than straight up DLing (ie. rack pulls, back extensions, etc...)

I was reading throught and wondering what you guys follow for "workout programs"? I saw Rick mention WSB which I've been wanting to try.
My workout is a combination of many things. I believe in the max effort method, but I use it in the actual lifts, not assistance lifts. I use speed in my pulls and squats. I train 4 times a week with extra workouts thrown in from day to day.
What do you guys try and hit for sets/rep ranges when you DL or do you just go by feel?

I always do singles. I don't like reps in the deadlift for many reasons with the most important being my form going to hell the more reps I do. I like to pick a starting weight that is somewhere around 80-85% of my best sumo or conventional pull and do 5 singles. Each week I take it up 10-20 pounds. I also do singles with my rack pulls.

Have you guys tried some high rep workouts with DLing? I know DL taxes the CNS and always hear of guys DLing only a few times a month cause of that. Although compound movements such as DL/ squat/ cleans and other compound movements help release GH and increase blood circulation for increased growth. Just wondering your thoughts/ experiences with high reps.
Back in April I was doing high rep training to prepare for Pittsburgh's Strongest man. I got to where I was doing 525 x 9 and 505 x 12 fresh (hot 505 x 9 at the contest after 4 other back heavy events in less then 1.5 hours). I was also doing 405 x 20+. However, when I tried 600 after the meet, I could not lock it out! :ohmy which told me right away that the high rep stuff was for the birds. If you want strength, train strength!

I deadlift every Monday morning. I have had success thus far and havent noticed a CNS burn out. Key is, IMO, to schedule some rest weeks or days when you start to feel over worked. I am starting to pick up on my body signals that let me know I have done too much. For me those signals are body ache-all over.

Also one more question: In your opinion the best exercise to develop DL other than straight up DLing

deadlifting! That probably isnt the answer you are looking for, but it is true. If you are a conventional puller, train sumo and get your sumo strong. A stronger sumo will equal a stronger conventional. If you pull sumo, then train your conventional. Same thing applies.

Other then that, rack pulls from your sticking point, handle squats, speed pulls, seated good mornings, and heavy ab work.

-Rick

Got my last workout before Christmas beer consumption in!

12/23/05

Started new cycle in quest for getting the 242 ADAU, AAU, and 100% RAW organizations squat and deadlift records, as well as 3 lift records.

-Close stance (feet 12" or less apart) squats, no belt or wraps: 135x3, 225x1, 275x1, 315x1, 365x6x1 (working on form), 405x5x1. Nice and easy. With my feet this close together I take full advantage of my legs and ass and that = a big raw squat. Will up it at least 10 pounds a week.

-Bottom-ups: 135x1, 225x1, 315x1, 365x3x1. This is how I do the bottom-up!

Done. Decent workout-good start to cycle.

-Rick

Take a closer look, those bands arent attached, they are hanging on nails behind the cage.

I dont think band training via deloads would be beneficial for raw squatting.

-Rick

Nice stats on the bottom ups, Rick. Those are tough to do. For me, it's a mental thing, because it's like deadlifts.

Got my last workout before Christmas beer consumption in! 

12/23/05

Started new cycle in quest for getting the 242 ADAU, AAU, and 100% RAW organizations squat and deadlift records, as well as 3 lift records.

-Close stance (feet 12" or less apart) squats, no belt or wraps: 135x3, 225x1, 275x1, 315x1, 365x6x1 (working on form), 405x5x1.  Nice and easy.  With my feet this close together I take full advantage of my legs and ass and that = a big raw squat.  Will up it at least 10 pounds a week.

-Bottom-ups: 135x1, 225x1, 315x1, 365x3x1.  This is how I do the bottom-up!

Done.  Decent workout-good start to cycle.

-Rick

The bottom-up, is a great idea! :D

12/27/05

The year is coming quickly to an end. Overall, wasn't too bad I guess. I competed 3 times, which is a PR in and of itself. I hope to increase that to 5 or more in 06'.

-Sumo deadlifts: 545 for 5x1, no belt. Big jump, I know. However, I am discarding the speed pulls and sticking with the sumos, and will now jump 10 a week from 545. After 6 weeks of this, I will attempt a max conventional pull on the 7th week to see how close I am to 700, then back at it.

-Rack pulls from 16.5": 625 for 3x1. Increased 20 pounds from last week. Again, this will start being a 10 pound jump a week. These werent bad at all, however, I did wear a belt for these. All weekend sleeping on a hard bed has my back feeling like shit.

I won't go into details here cause this is just a training log, but I am going through some stuff that has to do with my sister. She is the one who suffered the major stroke back in the summer. Needless to say, she has not, and will not recover to 100%, has lost her job, etc. etc.

Anyway, I will keep this updated, and strive to do so until 700 rides. With the stuff I faced this weekend, suddenly pulling 700 has become very important to me, and I am going to work and work until it rides. I am not there mentally at all, but I WILL focus on what is important to me: my family, my career, and my lifting. Those 3 things will keep me strong through this time of hardship.

Peace-

-Rick

Hey guys im not sure if your aware or anyone mentioned this. But Becca Swanson just recently pulled 550 for 10 reps!!!

Hey guys im not sure if your aware or anyone mentioned this. But Becca Swanson just recently pulled 550 for 10 reps!!!

Becca is a he. That's why he was able to carry that much weight.

It says she did it double overhand - I assume that means no hook grip but I haven't seen any video to tell for sure. If so, that's an awesome grip feat. I would imagine it's hook though. As a power lifter, she probably could care less about doing it true DO.

12-29-2005

bodyweight: 205

Deadlifts

245x5

335x3

445x1

551x2

Barbell Rows

265x5

Squats

245x3

335x1

396x2

Eric, so how does it feel to do deadlifts before squats for you? I haven't done that in a while. Everytime I did deadlifts before squats, I would drop 100lbs on my squats, because my back would be so tired from deadlifts.

Eric, so how does it feel to do deadlifts before squats for you? I haven't done that in a while. Everytime I did deadlifts before squats, I would drop 100lbs on my squats, because my back would be so tired from deadlifts.

It don't feel good my friend. :) I'm deadlifting every six days, so I decided to do squats on the same day to give my back maximal rest for the next session of deads. It's rough. I'll keep trying it for the time being, but may eventually split up the two, if only by a day.

Eric-

Good lifting! Are you dropping to doubles now instead of triples? Or, did you just not get 3?

I actually find squats to feel good after deadlifting. The weight always feels really light on my back when I do them right after. However, I dont know if it is possible to maximize your squat and deadlift by doing both in the same day.

Thoughts?

-Rick

Quick workout today, but a good day

Deads-

145 x 10, 235 x 10, 325 x 8, 405 x 8, 505 x 5, 575 x 3, 625 x 7

I'd have tried 8 but the grip was going on 7. Don't think it would have gone, but I'd have tried it.

John, thats a monster pull.

Rick, strong pull without a belt, 700 will be yours.

Eric, doubles are my fav, deads then rows are my next fav.

awsome log guys, I start training again on teusday. Time to play catch up!

I actually find squats to feel good after deadlifting.  The weight always feels really light on my back when I do them right after.  However, I dont know if it is possible to maximize your squat and deadlift by doing both in the same day.

Thoughts?

-Rick

Well, I sometimes do squats and deadlifts on the same day, whether it be a ME day or Speed\DE day. I feel that when I do them this way once or twice a month, my max would go up. Also, for me, this is a good way to prepare for a full meet.

Eric-

Years ago I used to do squats & deads on the same day, I'd go heavy squats one week & light deads, then switch it the next week.

I hated it, but it worked well.

Now I'm old & do as little as I can....

I would not do brows after deads. I think thats asking for trouble. I would do weighted chin ups. Great upper body workout, but also helps decompress the spine, saving your back. Just me thought :)))