Tar Heel Hands Of Steel

underdawg

I'd strongly encourage anyone in the area that is even remotely interested in grip to attend this contest and compete - even if you struggle to close the #1. It doesn't matter how you do, meeting a bunch of other grip nuts is awesome. PRs just have a way of happening. Seeing others do "insane" grip feats in person has a way of changing your perceptions on what is attainable.

I did my first contest last October and it was awesome. Despite coming in a solid last place, I learned tons and had loads of fun. One of the best days of 2005 for me. And my training has never been better, as a result of the motivation from the contest. After seeing 3 different guys close a #4, I find it much easier to believe I can one day learn to close a #3. The #2 now seems like an insignificant step on the path to decent grip strength. Before I viewed at as an enormous milestone.

Go compete in the contest!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• underdawg

• climber511

• Too Tall

• anson

While I'd love to know that I'm guaranteed a top 3 finish in my very first grip contest, I don't want it to be because there were only two other competetors! :)

Come on you guys! If you can make it, go ahead a sign up and lets have a great time gripping, crushing and bending some stuff.

pc

Jon - the hotel is sold out - as usual I waited too long. So Nick and I need a place to stay. What else might we try that's close by. Haven't talked to Nick about it but include hotels and campgrounds that are close by as well. My van is set up to stay in pretty comfortable. Appreciate the help buddy.

Oh forgot to add - if any one would want to share a room - that would be good as well.

Edited by climber511

Ok guys, this is what the line up is looking like so far:

Dave Morton

Tommy Heslep

Chris Rice

Jonathan Creason

Chad Woodall

Nick Rosendaul

Stanley Branham

Me

Gregory Allen

Walter (Gator Grip)

Jed (?)

Who else can I add to the list, you comming John Hicks? Others?

I know who everyone is except Stanley Branham - is he a Gripboard member? If so what's his board name?

Man I wish I could make this guess nick will just have to represent the Rosendaul family by himself.

Ok guys, this is what the line up is looking like so far:

Dave Morton

Tommy Heslep

Chris Rice

Jonathan Creason

Chad Woodall

Nick Rosendaul

Stanley Branham

Me

Gregory Allen

Walter (Gator Grip)

Jed (?)

Who else can I add to the list, you comming John Hicks? Others?

Depending on the number of competitiors...Will there still be LH/SH divisions? Or just an Open comp? Just curious...thanks :D

Edited by Too Tall

I want to mention that my company is going through a Corporate Safety Audit that week. I will be taking part in the Audit. If I do not take at least the half day off for that Audit, then I will have to drive the 9 to 10 hours after work, which will put me into town only a few hours before the comp starts. This is my difficulty in making the trip.

I really want to be there guys. Really do, because I love competition and I love hanging out with you guys. It just happened that this Audit got scheduled at a bad time.

If we do not make it, we will still fulfill our sponsorship obligations.

Thanks,

-Jedd-

Jedd and the Crew - I hope you can work things out - be great to see you all again. But making a living sometimes has to come first - we understand, just don't like it. Hope to see you all there!

I want to mention that my company is going through a Corporate Safety Audit that week. I will be taking part in the Audit. If I do not take at least the half day off for that Audit, then I will have to drive the 9 to 10 hours after work, which will put me into town only a few hours before the comp starts. This is my difficulty in making the trip.

I really want to be there guys. Really do, because I love competition and I love hanging out with you guys. It just happened that this Audit got scheduled at a bad time.

If we do not make it, we will still fulfill our sponsorship obligations.

Thanks,

-Jedd-

WTF Jedd, justcall in "sick" :whacked

Ok, just kidding :cool

I know who everyone is except Stanley Branham - is he a Gripboard member? If so what's his board name?

He's a friend of mine who is just getting started in grip training- he's going to use the comp as a learning experience. I know there are probably some guys in the area who have been lurking on the Board, the Tar Heel is you chance to come out and really learn some stuff from some of the best!

North Carolina boys- wish I could come and play with you at the contest. I'm heading to Mexico for our 30th wedding anniversary shortly after that, and just don't have the funds available for the trip. :erm

I wish all you guys the best and know this will be a great time for all involved. Really, the best part of a competition like this is seeing what is possible with good training and the great advice you can get from fellow grip-strength athletes. It fires you up like nothing else!

John Scribner

Depending on the number of competitiors...Will there still be LH/SH divisions? Or just an Open comp? Just curious...thanks :D

It's going to be an open comp. For the support event we're going to split the difference b/t the LH and SH poundages.

Let's add a climbing wall first event - take a little out of all the big guys and even things up a bit :inno

Let's add a climbing wall first event - take a little out of all the big guys and even things up a bit :inno

:kiss:kiss:kiss

But Chris there's going to be some small guys I worry about as much as the big ones what about them?

One thing at a time Stew - I'm working on something for the SH guys - just not sure what yet. None of these guys are climbers as far as I know so every little bit of help I can get would be good.

I knew you were lurking out there somewhere Tommy - I'd love to see you crush one, before or after the contest! Maybe after the contest when we're all playing around - you might do one for us, please! I'd love to see it done. But if you just feel like you have to do 5 or 6 before the contest - it wouldn't make me mad :whistel and might give some of us a chance.

This is why Europeans do so well in grip competitions against you guys. They have learned to control the urge to perform feats of strength BEFORE the competition. ;)

This is why Europeans do so well in grip competitions against you guys. They have learned to control the urge to perform feats of strength BEFORE the competition. ;)

Sounds like a challenge to me :rock

Hate that you and Smitty won't be able to make it, Jedd. I understand though. It's a haul down here, I couldn't imagine doing it after work. See you in the fall!

What if I cruch a bunch of potatoes right be "4" the contest? will that help you Chris? :yikes:yikes

It will help me too Tommy...please crush several :whistel

For those of you driving in the day of the contest here's you something to punch in Mapquest.

Woodleaf Fire Dept.

9025 Cool Springs Rd.

Woodleaf, NC 27054

The community center is right behind the fire department, can't miss it.