Tar Heel Hands Of Steel

underdawg

Anson, Scott, and I are planning on holding the first Tar Heel Hands of Steel in the Salisbury, NC area (venue has not been selected yet). Date as of now is February 4, 2006. Events will most likely be:

Grippers

Two Hand Pinch

Thick Dumbbell Load

V-bar

Bending or Levering

Complete rules will be coming as soon as we get them ironed out. Just putting out a feeler now to see if there is any interest. If there is enough interest we will be having separate divisions for small hands and large hands.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• underdawg

• climber511

• Too Tall

• anson

All these contests in the USA.... Hmm, i am seriously thinking about moving.....

Hmmmmmm I may have to visit my friend Dave in February now. He has some time to think of an excuse not to have me as a guest :D

Hey, North Carolina crew- if there's any way to make it, I will. I celebrate my 30th anniversary 2 weeks after that in Mexico (if the resort is still there after the hurricane :cry ). So money and vacation time is tight. If I'm real good, and my wife will buy into it at some level (shopping, sightseeing, something...) I might be able to talk her into it. I'll have to check my atlas to see where you're at. My aunt and uncle used to own most of the city proper of Lake Lure, NC, but have recently moved away. I still have a bunch of cousins in that area... also have an old high-school buddy who lives on Lake Norman.

working on it,

John Scribner

Edited by j.scribner

Salisbury is midway in b/t Greensboro and Charlotte, we're right on I-85. Lake Lure is about 2hrs away, Lake Norman 45min.

Humm Sweet N.C. My home state, Love It! Dave need a place to crash Bro.??? PLEASE PLEASE. Oh yeah would be a great time to see that dress! Oh man he went there! :whistel:blush Bending and levering sounds good.

greg/steve, yall can stay here, pintos and chili beans are on the menu so be prepared

greg/steve, yall can stay here, pintos and chili beans are on the menu so be prepared

Oh no you and beans. I'll sleep outside. Thanks man.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the rules guys:

TAR HEEL HANDS-OF-STEEL

EVENTS

Grippers

Grippers will be placed on a table in ascending order according to their difficulty. Competitors may start at any gripper they wish but will be unable to drop down after they begin. Each competitor will have 45 seconds, per hand, to close the toughest gripper possible. Any additional reps (up to 10) will subtract 0.09 points per rep. 1 rep on a tougher gripper will always award fewer points than any number of reps on lower grippers. MM set will be used and additional reps must be opened to at least the same distance. Once gripper is set with the appropriate MM set, the setting hand must be clear of the attempt and not contact the hand making the attempt. Athlete must wait for the “good” call from the judge for the rep to count. Points awarded are as follows:

Gripper Points

T 10

IM 1 9

M 8

IM 2 7

SM 6

IM 3 5

RB 300N 4

E 3

SE 2

IM 4 1

Two-Hand Pinch

The Euro pinch apparatus will be used with widths of 44 mm, 54 mm, and 64 mm available. Competitors will choose the width they will use before the contest. The apparatus must be lifted with both hands over the top and thumbs towards the individual until the loading bar (not the plate stack) touches a steel ruler placed at 16.5” inches high. Apparatus must stay clear of the body during the lift, and must be lowered under control. A rising bar system will be used with first place receiving 1 point, second 2 points and so on. Only chalk allowed. Four attempts will be allowed per competitor.

Support Loading Medley

A series of thick handled dumbbells will be placed on the floor in ascending order, according to their weight. These dumbbells must be loaded onto the corresponding platforms, which will be descending in height. After all dumbbells are loaded the competitor must complete a one-hand lift. Time starts on command and ends when the competitor has locked out the one hand lift. All competitors will have one run for each hand, and times will be averaged. Scoring will be based on the percentage of the fastest time. Weights are as follows:

Small Hand: 90# on 2” handle, 110# on 2” handle, 120# on 2.5” handle, 130# on 2.5” handle, 300# one hand lift

Large Hand: 100# on 2” handle, 120# on 2” handle, 130# on 2.5” handle, 140# on 2.5” handle, 300# one hand lift

One hand lift will be on a 1 1/8” non-knurled handle. Dumbbells may not contact the body below the waist. Chalk only allowed.

Vertical Bar Lift

A 1" diameter, 24 inch long, unknurled steel bar will be used. The lift will start with apparatus in front of the lifter and on the ground. The lifter will grab the bar and lift so that the bottom of the plates (on the lowest end if there is tilt) will be at least 2 inches above the ground. The judge will call the lift after it is completed. No more than 2" of bar can be showing above where the lifter grabs the bar. The lifting arm may contact the inner thigh during the lift, but may not be braced against a leg in order to aid the lift.The non lifting hand can be braced against the body, but may not touch the lifting arm. The implement must be lowered under control after the lift is completed. A rising bar system will be used with first place receiving 1 point, second 2 points and so on. Four attempts will be allowed per competitor.

One Hand Lever

One of the competitor’s arms will be secured to a platform, parallel to the ground. A sledgehammer will be placed in the competitor’s hands in the vertical position. The bottom edge of the competitor’s hands must be flush with the bottom of the handle. The weighted end must be lowered under control until the handle is 40° from the platform, where there will be a crossbar. The competitor must stop weight at this point and wait for the up signal. The handle may not bounce off of the crossbar. No thrusting of the apparatus to gain momentum-any forward movement of the body and/or hands will discount the rep. The weighted end must then be returned to the original starting position. There will be a 45 second time limit per attempt. Points will be awarded as follows:

Hammer Points

8 5

10 4

12 3

16 2

20 1

Any additional reps (maximum of 10) will subtract 0.09 points from the total for that hand. A single with a heavier hammer will always top any number of reps on a lower hammer. Competitors will be allowed to start with any hammer they wish and move up at any time during the attempt, however they will not be allowed to move down. There will be one attempt per hand, and the scores from each will be averaged for a final score in this event.

There will be prizes awarded to the first, second, and third place finishers in each division, and to the top overall competitor.

About 7 hours for me - If I can find someone else that will ride down with me to keep me awake, I'll be there.

i would love to come, but not sure if I can. If I can go I could ride with you Chris.

Edited by nickr104

I suppose that means I should start training grip again. :D

I suppose that means I should start training grip again.  :D

I am thinking the same but I am waiting until Christmas to start again due to some Tendonitist I got on a certain climbing trip. :D But after that I am training nonstop.

You Ohio boy need to get away from that snow anyway might as well come on down.

Edited by madss

I am hereby inviting all competitors to go climbing - maybe I can wear you boys down a little before the meet. :blush

I am hereby inviting all competitors to go climbing  - maybe I can wear you boys down a little before the meet.    :blush

I knew it was a strategic move on your part to take me climbing. Dang, I was out smarted by the wise one. :( You guys really need to load up the minivan and come on down!!

Edited by madss

Hey guys - any hotel etc info available yet.

I need to make a couple of calls and reserve a block of rooms. I'll let you guys know something as soon as possible.

Anybody interested please send me an email at jonathan_creason@yahoo.com and I'll attach the entry form in the reply. I still gotta work on the hotel info (slacker, I know). Hopefully I'll have that for you next week.

Oh yeah guys, don't think it's been mentioned but the entry fee will be $40. This will include a t-shirt and program for each competitor.

This will include a t-shirt and program for each competitor.

If it's a cool t-shirt, I might get in on this... ruff ruff!! :yikes:laugh

We're working on the design right now, should be pretty cool. We also have some great sponsors lining up, with cool prizes. I'll post a complete list here soon.

Oh yeah guys, if we have any money left over after our expenses it will be donated to the local Civitan Club (who is covering the cost of the venue for us) to use on some folks that need it.