• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SHRUG

• tspinillo

• DLK

• DuTCH

Top Posters In This Topic

Shrug I watched your video some impressive weight. I've been doing shrugs and dead lifts twice a week in my work out trying to get some of the core worked up because I aspire to do stones. I don't have near as much ass to put behind the weight I only weigh about 185 my best single rep on shrugs is 455. But I won't use raps if I can't hold it I don't want to do it just my personel rule. I know it's possible for alot more weight with raps I was just wandering what you can max without raps on shrugs and double overhand deadlifts or if you even tryed maxing this way. Just curious keep up the good work.

Shrug I watched your video some impressive weight. I've been doing shrugs and dead lifts twice a week in my work out trying to get some of the core worked up because I aspire to do stones. I don't have near as much ass to put behind the weight I only weigh about 185 my best single rep on shrugs is 455. But I won't use raps if I can't hold it I don't want to do it just my personel rule. I know it's possible for alot more weight with raps I was just wandering what you can max without raps on shrugs and double overhand deadlifts or if you even tryed maxing this way. Just curious keep up the good work.

Stew, i go by the rule of "if you can't lift it yourself, then you probably shouldn't lift it".

Lifting without wraps sounds good, but when your doing shrugs, your not working your grip strength, your working your shoulders. If you could only do 1 rep with 455, but do 10 with wraps....i would think your shoulders get a better workout with wraps.

Same for deadlifts and and other pulling lift....the weakest link is gonna be your hands....i have never encountered a weight that my hands could out-do any bodypart.

Ishred, thanks for the advice I understand what your saying.I guess I should explain myself more. I've just recentley started working out regularly agian I was off for about 4 yrs. Blew my right shoulder out , had two kids, and got bursitis in the same shoulder. I use to do alot heavier weights in some of these lifts I know its possible but I'm not really all that intrested in that.I want to work out and progress but I'm not so worried anymore how much weight I do. I'd rather be decent at these and maintain and then accel in the grip stuff.Although I do like doing the stones and that is going to take some good core numbers to do but if I don't get big numbers at least I'm back in it and not in pain.I try to work my grip in some how on everything I've been training. I use to turn some pretty good numberds especially for my size but some thing I've learned as I've gotten older is I don't like pain and there is always some one bigger and better this board proves that.

I did do shrugs tonight in my workout I haven't max on them in along time but tonight I did 4sets of 10 with 385 back to back. Then tryed a set with raps and only jumped 40# and got 6 I can live with giving up that in my shoulders to gain some grip. Heck the doctor told me I wouldn't be able to work out that heavy anymore 4yrs.ago and I feel great. But i do realize what your telling me is a 100% true I'm just stubborn that way.