Gripper Rankings Update

pdoire

So it sounds like in your opinion that the JB grippers would be about the same quality wise? So how do they rank difficulty wise? Like I'm most interested in which JB gripper would be equal to a COC #3 (or close to it).

I'm guessing you mean RB, not JB?

Anyway, I would rank them this way:

1 - Tettings

2 - CoCs

3 - RBs

4 - HGs

RBs can season down quite a bit compared to BBs or CoCs.

Haha, good information to know but no I did mean JB grippers. These are the John Brookfield grippers that you can purchase and can come with handle extensions. So same question as before. How do they (the John Brookfield grippers) rank quality wise to the Tettings, CoCs, RBs and HGs. And which JB gripper (without the handle extensions) would be able equivalent to a CoC#3.

Oh, okay, lol...I couldn't think of a JB.

To be honest, I have no idea which handle setup equals ~ a #3 on the Brookfield. Never used one.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pdoire

• mobsterone

• madknight

• Bob Lipinski

I think the JB grippers havent been bought or used by very many grip enthusiests on the board. from what I remember when they came out only 2 or 3 people got some. There were some reviews posted. Why not try the search function for the reviews.

- Aaron

I think the JB grippers havent been bought or used by very many grip enthusiests on the board. from what I remember when they came out only 2 or 3 people got some. There were some reviews posted. Why not try the search function for the reviews.

- Aaron

K I'll give it a shot. I've tried looking for reviews using google but only get one or two from the grapplersgym. I'm just looking for some variety as I don't want to just take one guys opinion and as I said, I'm curious as to which one equals a CoC#3.

Thanks

Hey Aaron......yeah actually maybe I was alittle confusing on my earlier post....I definitally agree with you, HG's are defenitally the worst quality of the bunch not only because of the springs they use but also because some of them have so little knurrling on the handle that the harder grippers slip very easily.

I like tettings grippers alot, just not for heavy volume work due to the heavy knurling that can tear up the skin pretty bad, and I've found coc and rb to be pretty similar in comparison.........just that the RB's seem to be more consistant throughout the whole sweep and close whereas the coc seem the sweep is a tad lighter in comparison to the last 1/4inch or so of the close.

Also don't know to much on the JB grippers, but it seems like even if you got the hardest ones along with the extensions you could pretty much find a good range area within them. Don't know if this post helped much, but maybe just clarified a bit, thanks. Steve.

K I'll give it a shot. I've tried looking for reviews using google but only get one or two from the grapplersgym. I'm just looking for some variety as I don't want to just take one guys opinion and as I said, I'm curious as to which one equals a CoC#3.

Thanks

You should ask twig if he's changed his mind since this review.

Thanks

You should ask twig if he's changed his mind since this review.

Thanks, I had heard he did a review but I didn't have any luck finding it. I'll have to contact him to see if his opinion of them has changed.

It's changed, the extended handlesmean that if both are on then you can't close the gripper to //, which basically means it's cr@p as a gripper. However, with just one handle attached it's very good for negatives.

It's changed, the extended handlesmean that if both are on then you can't close the gripper to //, which basically means it's cr@p as a gripper. However, with just one handle attached it's very good for negatives.

LOL, so straight forward twig :D

Hey while I'm here I thought I might ask if anyone could tell me what kinda chalk is used for the hands when working with grippers.

Up till this point I havn't used any....but as I am trying to MM some tougher grippers now I think it would be helpful to start using some chalk. And also where might I buy this from??? Thanks again guys.......Steve.

From what I've read, magnesium carbonate is the chalk that's used. It's probably pretty easy to find to buy but I know that Sorinex (linked at the top of the GB) sells it in 1lb boxes. It can be found here. I haven't used any chalk either but it'll be something for me to invest in pretty soon.

From what I've read, magnesium carbonate is the chalk that's used. It's probably pretty easy to find to buy but I know that Sorinex (linked at the top of the GB) sells it in 1lb boxes. It can be found here. I haven't used any chalk either but it'll be something for me to invest in pretty soon.

Thanks alot "madknight", I'm sure it will make a differnce for the good when attempting to close heavier grippers.

Thanks alot "madknight", I'm sure it will make a differnce for the good when attempting to close heavier grippers.

No problem. I'm sure it will make a difference too. Besides, if it didn't we wouldn't be seeing so many people who can do amazing things use it.

• 4 months later...

I created a list based on this board:

Gripper rankings based on RGC calibrations

I left away filed and adjustable grippers and threated all grippers (old, new, etc) the same.

Very nice list! I think you have everything pretty well covered. Nice to see the TUGS included, always kind of wondered where they fell. Mike

Klesen,

Now that is a good list. That should be pinned on it's own.

Tim

I created a list based on this board:

Gripper rankings based on RGC calibrations

I left away filed and adjustable grippers and threated all grippers (old, new, etc) the same.

Yeah it's a good list and you sum it up nicely with the spread sheet. It's just too bad that there isn't more calibrations on a lot of the grippers. Some, especially with just 1 gripper calibrated, just show a variation when the average is a much different story. IE: The MM4 coming before the MM3, the HG250 before the HG200, etc.

Still though it's a very nice list.

Very good list. Could you add the standard deviations in there as well.

Thanks, guys! I've created a new list including standard deviation.

Data I've used:

this board

http://p2.foorumi.info/rautakoura/viewtopic.php?t=9

and this thread (keep on posting there!)

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=28300

Make sure to add the following information:

Who calibrated it?

results in lbs or kg.

spread?

I also added the date when your calibration has been posted here

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=28300.

Special thanks to Matti for his amount of calibrations!

rankings:

http://spreadsheets3.google.com/ccc?key=tUrRkYHMoRy4GziZURsjzaA&hl=en

Very, very nice! Lots of brands also, well done. I agree this NEEDS to be pinned. Mike

• 4 months later...

Any updates regarding the new monster BB grippers? For example, the newer Galaxy (before rebranding the Super Galaxy) was a .375, the Super Galaxy (now the Galaxy) was a .462 if I remember right, and the Universe (was the Grand Galaxy) is .500 if I remember right. Also, where would the gripper known simply as "The Beast" fall on this list? Is it simply another version of the Universe or even thicker yet spring?

• 1 month later...

I just calibrated a WC at 279.6#

The grand galaxy never existed and the super galaxy was never the .362 or whatever it was listed at on the older threads. Those were proposed specs and names that Warren was thinking about. The Galaxy used to be .375 and there was the Constellation which was .362. Later, the Galaxy went to .394, then the Super Galaxy was .437 and the Celestial was offered straight from Warren at .500. Later, the Universe was offered by Beefbuilder with the same specs as the Celestial then the Beast was offered at NG with the same .500 specs. Somewhere along the line the coil size changed.

Someone on here had a World Class with odd specs of .353 or .351 (normal is .345).

Check out this old thread especially CB454's comments. He's a doctor and knows his specs.

Monster gripper thread

Tim

Here's another thread:

My link

Enjoy.

Tim