And The Winner Is......

smitty

Sounds like the competition was a huge success. I will do my utmost to compete in one of the next GGC. This competition needs another skinny fellow next to Tommy. A huge congrat to Rob for taking the overall title. You are without doubt one of the strongest on this planet grip wise. Fantastic performance by Clay in taking second place and winning the v-bar event with a huge lift. Jedd, I know first hand how hard it is to do well in competition and at the same time taking active part in keeping things flowing smoothly. Very impressive to take third place. I was also especially impressed by Steve taking fourth so soon after the Europeans. Amazing pinching ability by the "skinny" Tommy. Hope to see all results from the competition soon.

:bow:bow:bow

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• Tom of Iowa2

• smitty

• Mikael Siversson

the contest was awsome ! :rock Thanks to Smitty, Jed ,And all the diesel Crew guys and girls for putting on a great one! :bow I had a great time got prs on v- bar, rolling thunder,and pinch. Also thanks to Doc froe catching me when i almost passed out working on that g5 bolt. I wil get it soon. Kurt Lane, what can i say, he was awesome. 18 years old closeing 3s, g8 bend, big v-bar # great job man!! :rock Clay dose snor, but he is 6'5 350 i will just let him go and snor all he wants. GReat job on 2nd place man. You were impressive! :bow THe Vigeants, the craziest guys i have meet. Keep me entertained all saturday night. Great job Rob V on first :bow ANd Rob (Midget) blob lifting with 7 inch hands, Very nice :rock I would also like to thank Jonathon Mcmillan. It was great to meet you and thanks for the tips on what weight i should start at. Jonathon Creason and Tommy it was great to meet you both. Awesome guys and very srtong too. :bow it was great hanging with Roger too. He good man and that Kaz stroy was great! Doc and i were still laughing about that the next day. Big steve you are awesome. The spike bending in our room was very nice! :bow I was glad to see that Pat and Steve were able to make it. You guys are crazy strong !:bow THe fb bend was awesome!!! thanks agin Smitty and all the guys it was a great weekend :mosher:mosher:mosher

What an awesome trip. Thank you Jedd and Smitty for putting on a great show. Truly world class. We were all talking about how the show was run and everyone really liked the judging and the flow of events. And cutting bending down to 3 attempts for 2 minutes each was a good idea.

Nick and Doc, I may be snoring, but you guys started it! Jon Creason can truly shake the walls. You couldn't imagine my shock when I woke up at 11:07 Sunday morning to the buzzing of the clock radio and Dan knocking at my door and nobody else was in the room still! :laugh Roger LaPointe still gets the award for best quote during the weekend, spoken at about 4:45am.

Kurt Lane definitely deserved the Diesel award. This man (can't say kid) came out and hit PR's with intensity and was modest. Look for big things from him in the future. He will be seeing RED before year end for sure.

I was happy with my performance and tried to keep things in perspective during the contest. I opened with a MM3 replica after giving it a little chest crush and hit it pretty solid. The next jump up was a BBSE, which was a lot tougher and stumped 4 of us. Rob W, Dave, Tommy, and I tied for 1st in that event. The night before, we were closing RB300's and trying even heavier grippers in the hotel like idiots.

My pinch is a definite weakness in becoming a good all arounder, but I still managed to match my PR of 185 and was a few inches away from locking out 195. Don't remember how I placed in that event.

The rolling thunder handle was brand new and hard to hold. But I was happy with my 195. Robbie W and Mobster were taunting each other the whole way to the hotel about who was going to win the RT event and how big of a blowout it was going to be for either one of them.

I was hoping to do real well in vbar and I did, matching my previous PR of 345 on my homemade implement. I did 330 and felt good for more, so I watched what Eli and Robbie were doing and just tried to get them by 5-10lbs and it worked out. My extra attempt of 362.5 came off the ground, but not enough to clear the 5cm board. That platform Jedd's dad made was awesome for the vbar too.

Bending was good to me during the contest. I hadn't been bending but once every 7-10 days leading up to the contest just to keep the feeling fresh. Robbie and I decided to try to match each other with 6", 5.75" and 5.5" reds even before the first nail was wrapped. We got through the first two but couldn't get the 5.5" Mine was measured I don't know how many times but was just a little bit wider than 2" which is fine. Big Steve gave me a great tip to crush that sucker down after my attempt but I was too tired to give it any more strength. If I could have crushed that last 1/16", I'd have won the event and the point spread between Robbie and me would have been 1 point. But a tie for first in bending with freaks like Morton and Robbie is good enough for me.

After the contest, I couldn't get 385 per hand up in the farmer's but later did 455 or something one handed. I like the one hand lifts better :) Also managed 5-10's with the pinky and ring but couldn't do anything with 6-10's. Popped 2-45s off the ground a couple times but no lockout. And I lifted the blob for the first and second time! Back at Jedd's, I made a run at his double filed #3 which is a pretty stout gripper and couldn't quite muster the cajones to put it away.

Lemme tell ya, these Vigeant guys are top notch and funny as hell. We helped push each other to do the best we could. And you know Rob W is strong when he can have an off day and still win a contest, even with the second place guy either meeting or exceeding 5 PR's! I'm going to stun the world next year when I beat Rob V at rafter chins, you watch ;)

The MM3 was closer this time, but no go. Maybe next time if I try it again.

Man am I tired. I'm like a Zombie and feel like I got maybe 12 hours sleep in the three days I have been training and lifting. When I pull my brain back into the skull and start to think straight I will be adding the finishing touch to a 3500-4000 word article I am doing for my sponsor. I will cut and paste the last section for you guys.

I will echo now what others have already said - Jedd, Smitty and the rest of the DIESEL CREW did a blinding job. They have taken what Arne, Mikeal and David Horne have doen and lifted it up another few notches - seriously you guys deserve some major kudos.

The Vigents are SOMETHING ELSE!! We ended up at Jedds until 4am+ I have, it has to be said, already fallen asleep at the breakfast bar after getting photos of the straight jacket escapes (poor Tommy failed to realise that you can cramp up and get tired out after competing - take it from a lifting vet). The two Robbies were out BS'ing the whole frigging planet and did stuff at 4am, after doing great lifts, that amazed me.

There is so much stuff to tell you that I am tempted to try right now. However, I am gonna try and post up the pics from my digital camera to give everyone something to look at right now. Talk later.

Very nice! Many more to come I hope!

Looks like Steve shot that photo as the 435 an arm ripped lose from my right hand!

If it wasnt for the other hand being locked in, I would have went ass-over-heals on that one.

Another day. Perhaps the proper training attire could have helped? I was in jeans, no weight belt, and I was in my socks (took my boots off). Interesting. Great photos steve...

Rick Walker :rock

Here's my account of what all went down...

GLOBAL GRIP CHALLENGE 2004

I've also been posting my training leading up to the contest in that thread, so if you don't want to read all that just scroll to the bottom.

Awesome, just awesome guys. Thanks for all the posts; I missed the event, but was there in spirit and enjoy hearing all about it.

I'll be there next year - and maybe I'll impress everyone with my first close of a #3.

great job all,

arthur

I Can't thank you Jedd & Smitty enough for putting the GGC togther man,love you guys.You guys are opening something up that will pave the way for something even bigger one day,I can see it!!! :D

I had the time of my life,meeting new grip bruthas.Watching with amazment of all the PR's including my own.Jon Mcmillan's grade 5 bend and his V bar lift blew me away.Rick Walker's near miss of 435 an arm at his body weight.I see Rick has it in him to hit,at least a 750 raw-deadlift.Clay Edgin's 455 single arm farmers dealift with the 1.5" handle was sick,it looked easy for him.Kurt lane at age 18 bending a grade8 .What amazed me the most was the non-competitor Big Steve, bending a 1/2"dia.15" long HRS bar into a U.Your a beast Steve!!!And Terminators #5 horseshoe bend.Pat you are world class bro!!!

Had a riot at the party afterwards at Jedd's house.The Vigents are insane.I laughed so hard that my side hurt.

This was truly the best grip comp. ever.The next one will be even better,can't wait!!!

It was a pleasure meeting you all,that were there.

Anything interesting happen with the Excalibur dumbbell?

Anything interesting happen with the Excalibur dumbbell?

Did not bring it 'cause of all the rain.I did not want to get it wet at all.It is CRS it will rust. :(

Wow what a weekend!

So much to tell, probably miss half of what I want to say:

First of I want to say there was no surprise that the Diesel Crew but a A1 class contest on :rock

Standing on the platform for the v-bar lift was awesome, two competitors bending at a time rocked, the microphone handling was great!! brilliant setup for the two hand pinch lift height check!!!!!!

Next I want to thank all the guys that gave any attention to my son Taelor it really made the trip worthwhile for him as the contest was a long day for an 8yr old. That nasty horseshoe that Pat mangled went to show and tell at school today!!! :bow

It was really cool getting to see Pat in action after hearing so much, and getting to chat with him and Steve (nice and easy blob lift!!) especially considering how crappy the weather had been that weekend!

I saw a few guys lift the blob for the first time, Dave Morton pinchin 5 ten lb plates and taking them for a ride a couple times around his back. Rick hubbed that 45 like it was made of cardboard, I got some air on it. Pinched 5x10lb plates a few times, and pinched 4x10lb plates with my ring and pinky.

It was great finally being able to put faces to some of the board members that were there!!

Sharing advice was awesome!!! I hope all mine was good, Rick I hope Amy isn't mad at me for giving you that final push to compete ;) I wish I had the time while everyone was there to talk with everybody.

The hole in Jedd's hand was sick!!!!

Man it was PR city at the contest, the energy was fantastic!!

Special thanks to Dave M, and Jonathan C. for the bending stock!!!

I was quite happy with my results especially the v-bar lift and bending, Hooge PR's

I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of big Steve bending a monster piece of steel for Smitty before he left wow!!!

Guess I should post my results:

Grippers filed #2 damn if I was in gripper form I could have got that easy #3

RT: 155lbs not including the loading bar -having only tried this thing once I was over the moon with this lift huge PR

I got screwed up in the 2 hand plate pinch plate loading error and not realizing the bar was not counted in the weight. Trying for 180 was more like 190 :laugh so my final successful lift was 165

v-bar 290: man I ran out of attempts this was a massive 80lb pr for me.

Bending: 60p then a grade 5????? The 60p was abig pr alone getting the grade 5 made me estatic. -hand over hand

I don't think a grip competition is complete without the Rob V's -especially for the after party!!!

that's all off the top of my head

Jon@han

Anybody do a double INCH replica deadlift?

Inch and Blob deadlift?

Inch clean and press?

Blob clean and press or Blob Snatch?

Double blob??(if there were two Blobs there?...I lost track of all the implements that were going to be there?)

Iron Mind big block pinch?

Fat Bastard pinch?

The dyno readings would be great to hear also. :cool

Sorry :( to hear the Excalibur didn't make it....Mobster could have definitely got it at the 230 setting...maybe?cracked the floor with 250# and the 2 3/8" handle?Oh well.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Lots of guys gave the dyno a squeeze but I don't know many of their numbers. Dave pulled a little over 220 after the contest. Rob W hit 260 or 261 and I was a few pounds more - 264. But I'm more familiar with the feel of the dyno so I know Robbie was good for more. Maybe 15-20lbs. Freak! That thing got tested like never before this weekend, that's for sure

Clay, what kind of dyno you have? I am gonna buy one soon and I was gonna get Robert Baraban's Grip Tester.

I got 199 on the dyno.

Clay said he needs to show me how to hold it to get the max out of it...

I got 199 on the dyno.

Clay said he needs to show me how to hold it to get the max out of it...

Rick you need to grab it like its in a choker, on the base of your fingers.

I got 235-240 :D You would probably be around 234-239 :tongue