And The Winner Is......

smitty

I agree Mikael, I got " caught up in the moment" ! I meant no disrespect to the atheletes that competited at the European Championships. I think it would be great to make these events be qualifiers and possibly have a world championships, with say the top 3-5 athletes from each contest invited, and possibly the same amount of special invites (10-15 total ). Now that would be the best of the best! And again my apologizes, thanks for reminding me the world is a little bigger :D . Mike

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• Tom of Iowa2

• smitty

• Mikael Siversson

I think we have to say that Mobster would indeed be qualified then, having done both competitions in style. :D

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I think it would be great to make these events be qualifiers and possibly have a world championships, with say the top 3-5 athletes from each contest invited, and possibly the same amount of special invites (10-15 total ).

I would suggest making the qualifying competitions mandatory. Its like qualifying for the Olympic games. If you screw up in the Nationals or do not compete, you will not enter the big one.

Way to go guys. Congrats to all that competed and I can't wait to hear the PRs. I was so distraut (sp?) about not being able to go we drove over to Tulsa and attended the highland games. While there, in a bout of depression, I bought a new Nissan Titan. Damn. Would have been alot cheaper just to go to the contest.....

Way to go Clay, I knew you would do well. Seems the rumors are true about Rob, can't wait to see what happened!

Thanks for making the long trip and representing well Steve.

Thanks to the Crew for putting this on. This must be the first of many!

SOMEBODY POST WHAT HAPPENED! WE MUST KNOW!

Rob takes another one! Great job bro! Congrats to everyone who competed.

Congrats to everyone there. Your all crazy people with strong hands. I had alot of fun and glad I competed. Cant belive my best bend was only a 60d 4 days ago and I hit a G8 at the contest!!!

Guess who will be training to be the first 18 y/o Red Nail Bender :D

and thanks for everyone and there advice your all great guys. Steve, Jedd, Smitty..

Ill be back later tonight, peace guys.

Outstanding event! Smitty and Jedd my hat is off to you guys and the others behind the scene. Great job! Congrats to the champion Rob W. and Kurt lane for Diesel award and to all that were in the comp. great sportsmanship.

Steve, thank you from traveling so far and doing so well. 24 hrs awake before a class event and placing like you did. Wow! The grade 8 bolt bend was very impressive and that was a huge kink in that red nail my friend. Oh yes the full pull on the inch, BRAVO!! Loved seeing that! It inspired me. DOMINATE!!!!

Some of the high points in the comp. I witness and man there was a lot. Not in any order. Rob W. cleaning 2 inch smooth bar from Atomic 145# 7 foot long and pressing it. Oh yes, curl clean! Freaky man. Pat yer shoe bending very nice my friend. Steve W. yer blob lifts. Great job! Honor to meet you guys. Tommy pinching 217#. Truely world class! Clay, what can I say at 24 and doing the strength things you do. Speachless! Guys this young, kind man has an A game in grip. Jedd, dude your got thick and beastly. You are my vote for most improved gripster of the year. You left your skin on the metal man. There were more reds bent cut down then bent at 7 inches. 6 inch red got 4th or 5th unheard of. TPS guys thank you for coming ya'll are a fine group of people. Honor to meet you!! Dinia great drive you had! Jon M. the 435# each hand farmer pull mind bending! And the 145# on the Atomic bar pressing over and over and over. Thats some shoulder strength. Jon M. you have come a long way, very impressives showing. Keep the numbers climbing. Dave Morton, thank you for the gifts and placing like you did on a week of training. Well, there must be something in them hot dogs you eating. Freaky strong you are. And do me a favor stop crushing my hand with that handshake. It hurts! Thanks to all the sponsors without you guys these World Class grip event would have never happened.

Wolt, Eli, Lane, Doc, Jon, Rob, Excellent showing my friends. You are true Gents! Roger nice talking to you and have some great new toys. That hammer was a blast!

Oh yes Dave Morton did pick the blob up a few times. And Rob W. picked the blob up by the face and cleaned it with ez.

Thanks for a great show Smitty and Jedd!

Diesel rules! :rock

congrats to all who entered and sounds like the diesel crew held a top notch event, cant wait to see the results, pics and vids :bow

Steve - thanks for the incredible highlights....400+ each hand - Pexter - you're a freak....

Also, special thanks to Billy Wolt "Ishred" who came up and put in some incredible intensity.

Special thanks to Mark Baily - who was my right hand man and let me yell at him all day and he was the weight changer ALL DAY. Behind the scenes two weeks ago this kid couldn't bend a 60 penny - at the contest he hit 3 G8 - in between changing weights!!!!

Special thanks to Jedd's Dad - who built this sick platform for the VBAR - you guys aren't going to believe it....

Special thanks to my mom and sister for running the sign in...

Special thanks to everyone else who helped us....

Alright, here we go: (building on Steve's highlights)

GRIPPERS:

Steve Gardener - basically no set a RB300 - swept the whole thing freaking ridiculous

Rick Walker - mashed an MM1 replica with no training in I don't know how long

Clay, Robbie, Morton, Heslep all mashed an MM3 replica

Clay, Dave, Jedd - could not certify on the MM3 sent by Bill, all just missed on all 3 of their attempts - very, very close....

Diane the women's champ mashed a Trainer and was about 1/2 inch on the #1

Everyone else PR'd!!!

ROLLING THUNDER

Steve Gardener won the event with a lift of 210

Robbie was very close at 202

Clay and Jedd hit 195

Pexter hit 190

Everyone else PR'd!!!

2 HAND PINCH

What can I say Tommy matched everyone's max weight on his 3rd attempt, he than hit 210 and couldn't pull 215 - but not for lack of trying

Robbie and Jedd were close at 195

Rob went insane of this event and left some skin on the beast with a pull of 190 with 7" hands!!!!!!

Everyone else PR'd!!!

VBAR

Well everyone was chasing the elusive 360 WR, but it wasn't to happen this day with the closest man, Clay, hitting 345 to edge all competitors

Robbie hit 335

Steve G hit 330

Eli hit 315

Jedd hit 310

Dan "Solid as a dozer" Cenidoza pulled a ridiculous 300 lbs with a few pointers :blush

John McMillan - hit 290 with a smile

Kurt Lane pulled at massive 265 at a bodyweight of 170 maybe?

Dianne hit 140!!! never touching the implement

BENDING

We were all exhausted by this point (I was hallucinating) and decided to drop the rounds for bending from 5 to 3

A cool thing - we set up the bending as a race and you were matched against another competitor for each round!!!! The clock started and each partnered pair would bend against each other...very cool!!!

Best bends:

Clay, Robbie, Dave - almost all of them got a 5.5 RED - let me tell you - it wasn't from lack of effort - Clay's was so close it almost passed - intense man...intense...

McMillan hit a PR with a G5

Gardener hit a G8 and exclaimed "Dave was right, those are springy wankers"....alright maybe it was a little different :)

Kurt Lane dropped the hammer on a G8 and I know will be the youngest to hit a RED - this kid deserved the Diesel Award and he blew away the votes for this trophy

Robbie and Clay got credit for a 5.75 RED

Rob and Dave hit a 6" Red

Eli hit a 6.75 RED

Alot of effort went into the contest and I know that I really appreciate all the people who showed up to compete and support this - THANK YOU VERY MUCH - it really means a lot to me.

Picture CD's, DVD's will be available in the near future....

Of course, but everything is still packed up....

We just got done, cleaning the event location and unpacking most of the equipment, we still have a lot more to go.....

Of course, but everything is still packed up....

We just got done, cleaning the event location and unpacking most of the equipment, we still have a lot more to go.....

I meant at some point...I figured you guys would be swamped with cleanup. :)

Also:

Special thanks to Delraine (Jedd's girlfriend) who take all the pictures of the entire event!!!!

Special thanks to Roger LaPointe who was there all day and took care of my nerves, as well as, being very generous in support of us...

Check out his new piece of equipment....he brought it to the contest and the man, the myth, the legend won it!!!!

http://www.atomicathletic.com/gallery/default.asp

Also, check out the sick compilation pictures he put in of the Diesel Crew!!! Man this guy has been real friend and mentor for us!!!

So it looks like Robbie tied for first in grippers and bending but didn't win any events outright? As many predicted, apparently it was his lack of weaknesses that won the contest.

Just rolled in. I am a little tender, right side of my back is pretty much done for a month or more (it was injured pre GGC).

First off, My wife and I want to thank Jedd and his wonderful girlfriend for their tremendous hospitality. :bow Those guys took us in, would not let let us stay at the hotel, fed us, etc. That was not neccesary, but they did it. Friendship is an incredible thing. Thanks again guys!

Secondly, I want to thank Smitty and Jedd, and their families, as well as Mark and Eli, for one hell of a competition. Well set up, well run, well organized, and one hell of a good time! Mark, having you there loading, and then providing verbal encouragement, was f*cking awesome! :bow:mosher:bow:mosher

I will start with my own performance: I have not trained my hands in close to a month. I have had some nagging injuries and decided to just ride em' out, and just go to the contest and help out where needed. I rolled into the contest Saturday in jeans and boots, expecting to relax. 10 minutes there, seeing all the excitement and jittery, nervous people, I decided what the hell, and got in on the action.

Grippers: I did a #2, a filed #2, an easy #3, a hard #3, then the MM1 replica. Smoked them all. And, did them all left handed. I might have had the next gripper up if I would have tried. I truly do not know where that came from as I have been missing my #3 lately...

Rolling Thunder: I stopped training this a long time ago. When I stopped, my pr on an old used rt was 177. I managed to haul up 170 for a new RT pr. I was happy with that. Again, I used only my left hand.

2-hand Pinch: no pr for me here. Just was off. Did 170, missed 180 twice. Grrrr.... Last year at bfgs I hit 177.5, and my pr 2-hand pinch is 185. Ahhh well.

Vert Bar: :laugh:laugh:laugh:rolleyes What a f*cking joke this lift was! I rolled in with 0 technique and hit 240, missed 255, passed on my left. This lift is all about technique. Period. When I learn it, IF I learn it, I will be a 300+ v-bar lifter in a matter of months.

Bending: Still healing from this pec tear. The only way I can now bend without any pain in the pec is double underhand. And, I am WEAK at it. Smoked a blue, then a 60 penny, then missed a grade 5. Gave it a little, it didnt budge, so I waved off the attempt. Bending a grade 5, or anything stout, at this point in my life, is just not important to me. I need to heal up before I make a run. However, I will say this, by next years GGC, I will be bending reds double under. My technique is dialing in....

Some other highlights: I hubbed a 45 pretty easily. I also hung with Big Johnny Steel Mannino pound for pound in the double farmers deadlift. At 435 an arm, the others either missed it or bowed out, Mannino stood up with it, and I had it close to lockout when my right hand gave out. It was certainly not a back or leg thing, it was a grip thing. I have the body to stand up with 450 an arm. The handles were thicker then I am used to and not knurled. Hats off to Mannino for the hellish pull.

Some of the freaky things I saw:

Terminator destroyed a FBB stock in like 10 seconds with a 145 pound Atomic thick bar strapped to his head harness! Incredible! The bend was a JOKE. He also destroyed some stout horse shoes.

Clay took the MM3 replica, and smashed it shut like nobodies business! It was a joke-so easy. I think nerves got the best of him come the actuall MM3 and he missed it by a little. Nerves.

Tommy Heslep, I have nicknamed that boy the Silent Assassin. He stalks around in the shadows, makes no noise, and you dont know he is there. When he strikes-he strikes like a king cobra! The dude did 90 pounds, then 120 on the 2-hand pinch. Then disappeared. Then Jedd and the Vigeants went toe to toe, fighting for every ounce, back and fourth. Vigeant missed, then Jedd hit it (195 I think) then Vigeant stepped up and hit it HARD!!!!!! WOW! The intensity was crazy and the roof almost came off the place. Smitty was ready to take a 10 minute break and move onto v-bar, when Heslep comes out of the shadows, through a crowd of grip athletes, and says,

"I have 3 more attempts!"

:yikes WHAT? :yikes:help

Tommy goes 200-smoke show. It was a joke. He then worked up to-200+. Not sure what it was-but it was damn high.

As a side note, Big Robby Vigeant pulled 210 during warmups, on the same implement, then did some crazy thick bar stuff with the Atomic bar. That smoked his biceps, and left him burnt for his 2-hand pinch attempts. One would have to think he could have took this event... :whacked:whistel

V-bar: Jonathan McMillan shocked the shit out of me! He did big weights. Jedd, Eli, and big Clay also shook the v-bar platform! Fellas: train this event. If you do, Clay, you will smoke huge numbers. Another day.

The bending was not a huge surprise-I knew a lot of dudes would bend red, and a lot did. Good show!

Some negatives: my home took a whallop during this damn rain. We came home to a wonderful mess, and no water due to the water tank and pump being destroyed. Gym had water through it, which is no biggie. Plates can rust. Not a problem. However, the insurance company informed us that we dont have flood insurance anymore because our morgage company never gave them a check.

:angry::angry::angry:

I have already told our agent off. This is bullshit, and unacceptable. Very unacceptable. So, the repairs will have to come out of pocket.

Contest was great-but now I am faced with this mess.

Overall, good weekend. Great guys, good people. Next year should be interesting.

Rick Walker :rock

So it looks like Robbie tied for first in grippers and bending but didn't win any events outright? As many predicted, apparently it was his lack of weaknesses that won the contest.

Seeing the point "spread"and how each and every event/placing per event /attempts per event /etc. will keep us busy discussing the contest for months. :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

I'm looking foreward to photos...no rush...just can't always watch vids.-sometimes i can...other times not. :dry Good ol photos- from spectators,family members or even taken by competitors ARE welcomed. :cool for us "video challenged".

Congratulations to all competitors and to the promoters. :rock

I also hung with Big Johnny Steel Mannino pound for pound in the double farmers deadlift.  At 435 an arm, the others either missed it or bowed out, Mannino stood up with it, and I had it close to lockout when my right hand gave out.  It was certainly not a back or leg thing, it was a grip thing.  I have the body to stand up with 450 an arm.  The handles were thicker then I am used to and not knurled.  Hats off to Mannino for the hellish pull. 

Rick Walker :rock

Thanks for the report Rick.

you hanging with Pexter on the farmers dead REALLY impresses me. :bow

Sorry about your home.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I am glad I was able to get this contest (washed out roads or not), and I just wanted to thank Smitty and Jedd for putting on such a well run contest, and for inviting me. It was an honor to be in the room with so many great competitors. There were many unbelievable feats of strength going on all day. That alone was great to watch, but most of all, I really enjoyed meeting some guys from The GripBoard who I have not had the pleasure of meeting prior to this contest, such as Dave Morton, Tommy Heslep, The Vigeants, Big Steve, Sean Dockery, Jonathan McMillan, Jonathan Creason, Eli, Rick Walker, and Steve Gardener. The camaraderie was outstanding, and it was almost impossible to not have a good time watching the level of enthusiasm displayed by the competitors. All of the competitors impressed me with the efforts they displayed. Hats off to you all. Keep up the good work Diesel Boys!

Steve Gardener - basically no set a RB300 - swept the whole thing freaking ridiculous

I think I'm going to be sick..... :bow

First I need to give credit where it is due, to my Lord & my God. :bow

I want to say thankx to the organizers of the event & everyone that helped out.It was an AWESOME day,long but awesome.I'm glad its over cause it took so long but I cant wait to do it again. :rock:rock I didnt think I would do that great.After it was over I mess'd with the Blob a little got it with my right hand & then tried it with just two fingers & got it up "Git r done" :yikes & I cant "4"get Kurt Lane 18 years old g8 :rock nice job.

:bow "God Is The Real Power" :bow