And The Winner Is......

smitty

Vert Bar:  :laugh  :laugh  :laugh  :rolleyes  What a f*cking joke this lift was!  I rolled in with 0 technique and hit 240, missed 255, passed on my left.  This lift is all about technique.  Period.  When I learn it, IF I learn it, I will be a 300+ v-bar lifter in a matter of months.

Not sure I agree with this. I pulled 297lbs first time ever touching it, with no clue about how to lift. The guys in the top of this lift in the GGC were also the guys in the top overall. This is a strong indication that it is mainly about brute strength. You may, however, have poor technique. Also, did you use plenty of chalk? This is also a mental lift in that you really have to be ON in order to get the best out of it. Overall, very good numbers. I think you would certainly have pulled more had you trained with a LGC-replica. You will do better next time, no doubt.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Walker

• Tom of Iowa2

• smitty

• Mikael Siversson

The guys in the top of this lift in the GGC were also the guys in the top overall. This is a strong indication that it is mainly about brute strength.

Considering I fell just short of locking out 435 an arm in the double farmer deadlift, one would think I have the "brute strength" to do this lift. Also, every one of the top v-bar guys told me my technique was shitty. ;)

Also, I was at the bottom of the rung on this lift, and I would be willing to go pound for pound in overall brute strength with any of the fellas that out lifted me on it.

Rick Walker :rock

Mikael, I would like to get a LGC-replica or whatever it is you guys use in the grip comps over in England. Do you know where I could get one?

Hey the contest was awesome....

smitty you did a great job, bro dont kno where id be w/out you, the contest ran great, the cds and manuals were awesome!!!!!!!! :bow

jedd- you did awesome bro, i couldnt do it w/out and smitty, you guys are the best!

The rest of you guys it was a great honor to meet you all....the weekend was great

you guys are all very strong keep up the good work

Eli :rock

Special Thanks to Dave Morton

This guy, without a doubt, is one of the nicest people you ever have the privilege to meet. He has done so much for us and this event was no exception.....

Dave supplied most of the grippers and also a ton of bending stock... He also brought the CREW a dragging sled and some very hard to find original York plates....

You are a great friend - thanks Dave!!!!

Rick-

Sorry to hear about the water and insurance crap you're having to deal with. If there's anything I can do to help from way out here in Wisconsin just ask.

Hope everything works out OK with minimal hassle, good luck bud....

Chris

just gittin home, super long drive. had a BLAST!!A sorry i dint come to jedds that night, i was beat and knew i was drivin in mornin. thanks to the CREW adn all the sponsors adn people behind the scenes doin the pics, vids, and scorekeepin. super job guys!

great to meet everyone from last year as well as some new folks.

kurt lane, gotta watch him from now on

Thanks to the DIESEL CREW for a GREAT show!!! Smitty told me he's been working on this contest all year and it showed! Very professional, very cool! Next year I will not accept a mere $30 entry fee.

Thanks to ALL the guys for the quality competition, camaraderie and good sportsmanship! Meeting everybody and seeing the all the PR's fall is what I like most about competition.

Thanks to Jedd, his parents and his wonderful girlfriend Delraine (sp?) for hosting a GREAT after-party! I had an awesome time! We ate, drank and did feats of strength until way past 3am.

Thanks to John for driving and staying out so late while I out-drank the days grip champion and took his money! :) Hope Danielle wasn't too mad. :ohmy

Last but not least, thanks to Clay, Steve and the Vigeants for weighing the van down and preventing us from rolling down the mountain! :whistel For real, you guys were a riot and made the trip all kinds of fun! Hope we can do it again sometime! :rock

congrats to all :bow:bow:bow:bow

stay strong!! :rock

Thanks to everyone that got me to compete, I had a awsome time. My best highlight has to be.

Bending that G8, as 4 Days prior it was my first time bending a 60d ! Thankyou so much steve for letting me use your leather wraps! Towels just cant compair.

Hitting all 5 Lifts on the Vertical Bar with no experience what so ever... I ended up at 265lb and after I got my grip on the bar strait and really pressing my thumbs into my fingers I really think I could have 280+. Thankyou Eli for helping me out there right before the contest!!!

I guess hitting the Easy #3 and coming litterally 1/16 from the hard #3. Im really thinking I could get the Hard #3 and the MMI in about a month also with rest for sure!!

Realizing a 140 Plate Pinch and 145 Rolling thunder sucked and brought my score way down problly. There somthing I really need to hit hard! I only have some shinny slick plates so I need to get some old one for plate pinch hopfully soon, and my rolling thunder is just a disgrace ill be hitting that hard!!!!

Best things of all were the people. Big steve , ya he really is that BIG. I saw him picking up 2 45's one hand and passing from hand to hand.. omg... He is one hell of a guy to! hes so funny to jez I almost cried at some of the stuff he was saying aha

Jedd, Damn man your quite the inpiration. Real intense lifting, and awsome guy aswell. Your going to be the best some day man, just keep working hard. Nice of you to open your house to everyone, and that story about how you got started. Telling me how you saw rick on TV and how you said " GRIP IS THE HARDEST THING EVER, BLOOD SPRAYS OUT YOUR FINGERTIPS, I gatta try that..." Thatll stick wit me. Thx for the help on the INCH aswell! GL with training

Smitty, Your a real nice guy and great job on the contest!! Also thankyou for your words of incouragment! It means alot man.

Eli, Your a monster for your age man. Strongest person ive seen for that age to. Bending Reds, HUGE lifts.. jezz I hope ill get there soon and if so your the reason! Red at 19 is sick shit I hope I can beat it! Your one hell of a nice guy aswell. Thankyou for the help on the Vertical Barhope to see you next year!

Clay- Huge dude, amazing strength, totally impressive. Glad to meet you even tho you problly dont know who the hell I am lol. Awsome 2nd!!

Robbie V (BIG FIN HANDS GUY)- Dude your hands are huge...wtf Amazing forarms man and increadable lifts!!! Awsome job winning!! You have to be the funniest Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing guy there to... 27in , MJ's Vertical my ass..Your Calves lost to my 130lb 5'5 friend.... Strait Jacket ...to bad your arms wiggle when I tried to do that dip, pff...

Other Rob V? (cousin idk)- Your a tank dude , for your size your insaine, amazing forarms. Amazing pinch, nice rafter hold. Your a hell of a funny guy to! Keep up the good work!

Man I typed to much.. Thanks to everyone that shook my hand after that g8 and any other time thruout the contest, Its a good feeling to get handshakes from the worls best!! Its because of you guys ill keep training tuff.. and will compete again! Thankyou for the cool prize stuff I got thats amazing!! and Thankyou for the guy that gave me the horseshoe.. I tried bending it in my hotel room and almost had a meltdown that night around 3 am. Alot of you I dont know your names but I will learn, thank you guys to for your kind words I appreciate it so much!!

Anyway Ill be training my ass off trying to make a name for myself and learning more along the way in the mean time!! Im planning on attempting bending a RED on Christmas!!! Ill do it this way with leather wraps hopfully!!! Then certify if I can while im still 18 (Birthday Augest 24th) hope I can bend one with Bs IM pads by augest... O well take care everyone!! and GOODLUCK with your training. See you all next year!!

Diesel Crew...awesome show. It was nice to put faces to all the people i talk to on this board.

Jedd, video tape doesn't capture your intensity.

Rob V. (monkeypaws)...is the funniest mofo i ever met.

Highlight of the day....after party at Jedd's place....Rob V. getting Rob(midget) to try stupid things with a frying pan.

I had a good time, hit some pr's and met some cool people. Can't wait for next year.

I almost forgot! STEVE GARDENER IS THE MAN! I love that guy, hes just as funny as robbie, well close, looked like he was having a blast at jedds to. Its nice to see him coming from so far to this! He did a awsome job to!

Edited by Kurt Lane

First of all, the reports and the performances all of you guys displayed are very motivational for me. I hope to make it next year. It would be a real honor to meet ya'll and get my butt kicked by the best in the world.

A couple of questions:

Diesel Crew, will the events be the same next year? Yeh I know, the first one is barely over, but I want to start training NOW!

Also, were all of those amazing performances with the Reds with the newer, tougher, or the older, easier variety? Anyone take a crack at the BIG sized grd 5?

Thick Bar Daddy, for your performance, enthusiasm, and grand voyage :bow

And hey, did anyone predict the top five placings correctly (or even top three)? Looks like Jedd has arrived in a big way!

The guys in the top of this lift in the GGC were also the guys in the top overall. This is a strong indication that it is mainly about brute strength.

Considering I fell just short of locking out 435 an arm in the double farmer deadlift, one would think I have the "brute strength" to do this lift. Also, every one of the top v-bar guys told me my technique was shitty. ;)

Also, I was at the bottom of the rung on this lift, and I would be willing to go pound for pound in overall brute strength with any of the fellas that out lifted me on it.

Vertical bar is one of many ways to measure grip strength. I suck at horizontal support grip but I am stronger in the vertical bar position. In the v-bar lift, flexibility of the wrist is another important aspect. I have, however, seen guys with poor technique do well over 300lbs in competition (Kalle Lane, 2004 European). One cannot measure grip strength based on a single event, which is why we use five. I just don't see the v-bar lift as a very technical one, as it is a lift I have experienced only rather modest gains in (compared to the other four events in the GGC). It is certainly not anywhere near as technical as bending or grippers IMO. This is not to say that your technique was any good though. If it was as bad as you say there should be plenty of room for improvement.

Interesting discussion on the V-bar. Could we keep this thread focused on the Global Grip Challenge and people's individual accounts of the day/night though? Thanks.

-Jedd-

I had a great time! Smitty and Jedd put on a very professional show. Next year, more skinny dude sizes! I can use my contest t's for tents over here.....

Most impressive feat of the whole shebang...Rob "midget" Vigeant getting the 50 Blob 2 inches off the ground. 7 inch hands. Mucho Impressivo! The rafter pinch is amazing.

Pat and Steve, thanks for taking time to talk with Nick and I. Steve, congrats on the Blob lift.

Clay, Go get a checkup...I think there's something wrong with your sinuses. Not only a world class gripster...a world class snorer. Nice Blob lift as well.

Roger Lapointe, Everybody knows he's a great guy. Strip'em down. Throw'em in a room.

Jonathon Creason, he's good people. Very Strong. Good to meet ya.

Jonathon McMillan, Thanks for telling me my opening weights on the events. Congrats on the g5!

Tommy, very cool to see him in action. Gotta give it up to another skinny dude!

After party:

Jedd had to go to the ER and get a rabies shot (long, but oh so true story) so we all crashed at his place for the food and beer. I am out on the deck with my wife, listening to Roger Lapointe tell us a gut busting story about Kaz and Kim Wood and NOS2, and I look in to see Robby V. in a straight jacket? :mellow

Who brought a straight jacket? Who else but Tommy Heslep. :laugh Big Rob is flailing around like a chicken, and he gets out! So, of course, little Rob has to give it a go, and he gets out too! Cant straight jacket the Vigeants. :mellow

Now, grip guys are a little bit funny. You get a bunch of powerlifters in a room, and they dont do stupid shit. They drink, eat, and tell war stories. Grip guys though arent satisfied with that. We are competitive bastards, with fires burning high 24-7. So of course, Dan C. could not pass up the chance to get into the straight jacket. :laugh He struggled and kicked and struggled and kicked, but could not get out. I bet he is still fuming over that! :whistel Robby is running through the house, holding onto 4 cans of classic ice beer, screaming, "I am the champion! I am the champion!" :stuart

Then midget Rob takes after a frying pan. He rolls it with ease, so we all start egging him to tear it in half. He gets into it, bending it back and fourth, using his head, his leg, etc. to get it to tear. Nothing happens. Big Robby starts screaming at him to do something with that damn pan!

"Break the damn handle off or something! Just break something!"

Rob grabs the handle and whack, rips it off. Pieces rip through the room like frying pan shrapnel. He goes back to work on the pan, and this nice stream of red stuff comes out of the bridge of his nose. :whacked Turns out a piece of the handle smacked him and cut him open! :mosher

Then comes the Vigeant Stand-up Hour, in which they both tell us about their training and life in their funny accents. We were all laughing so hard, I could barely stand up! Robby sees Big CJ Murphy, a man with a 21 inch neck (not a typo) as a light weight strongman. He says,

"Damn boy, you got a big f*cking neck! I could put a board on your head and do the f*cking River Dance on it!"

Then he starts dancing around the kitchen ala River Dance. It was perhaps the funniest and most disturbing thing I have ever witnessed first hand. It will haunt my dreams for years. :cry

Strength feats start. Some of the coolest things? Clay Edgin stood his ground as Big Robby did a flag poll off the side of him. :mellow Yes. It happened. He did it off the side of Dan C. as well. Amazing!

Tommy Heslep banged out 3 reps of dips using Big Rob's arms as dip bars. I bet rob's biceps are BIGGER then his thighs! I would put money on it!

Then people started testing their verticals in the middle of the dinning room. Who is better guys? Micheal Jordan, Dan C., or Robby? :laugh:laugh

As the night wound down, at about 3 am, we started talking about contests, grip, etc. Dan and Robby went out and shot gunned a beer together cause Robby was bored. I was beat, and dog tired, so I went to bed. Not sure when everyone else left, but I could hear them raising hell well after I retired.

Looking so forward to next year. I came into this not expecting to even compete, and I set some prs. This has me thinking. Thinking about my training, goals, and where I see myself in a years time. I have a feeling next year will make this year look like child's play. People know what to train, and they have 365 days to do it. Numbers will be big. I had all intentions of making this my last contest. I cant do it. It is just too much fun. The sport is getting better and better and the people you meet are just about the best people out there. I would give the shirt off my back to those guys.

Time to rest, clean up some flood damage, and think about next year. I need to talk to some people and draw up a battle plan. I am excited. I think everyone who was there is excited. Who will be there next year? What will happen? Will every competitor there bend a red? Will everyone v-bar 300?

I am with Dan C. on this one. This production was first class, next years will be even better. $50 or more for entry will be expected guys!

I have a few rolls of pictures, so we shall see how they turned out. I think I got some good ones, so when I get them done and on disk, I will shoot them over to Bill.

P.S. Pat, thanks for the picture bro, it is bad ass and looks f*cking awesome on my gym wall! :mosher

Strength feats start. Some of the coolest things? Clay Edgin stood his ground as Big Robby did a flag poll off the side of him. :mellow Yes. It happened. He did it off the side of Dan C. as well. Amazing!

That's at least twice as cool as anything the gymnasts did during the Olympics :bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

First of all, we were all blessed to get there safely. That storm was bad. Sorry for dragging it up there guys. First class event guys, I hate to think of the hours that went into that thing. It was great to meet everybody, you're all awesome, although I think some of you should have stayed in that straight jacket. Can't wait till next year. I learned a ton, and I'm ready to put that new knowledge to work.

And hey, did anyone predict the top five placings correctly (or even top three)? Looks like Jedd has arrived in a big way!
Eric,

I posted this on the GGc Poll thread:

I like that people count out Mr. Johnson.

He will turn some heads. I am looking forward to him kicking ass, and placing well.

I have always included him in my top 5 list. As a matter of fact, I put him at #2 or #3....

;)

Great report from everyone and thanks to the diesel crew for putting on what sounds like an awesome contest which Im making sure I attend next year.

Was the third highest gripper closed an mm1 and how many closed that?

Again congrats to all who competed!

Austin

First off, thanks for Jedd and Smitty's awesome work. Jedd deserves a ton of credit for kicking major ass while working to prepare and run the show, and also being injured. I am amazed at how well he did considering all of that.

They both know I'm focused on strongman performances these days, but still said they wanted me there even if I didn't compete. Hell of an honor to be invited, if I didn't have a show the following day I might have really uncorked some stuff.

Great bunch of guys, hope I don't leave anyone out:

Vigeants, funny and strong as hell. Seem like both have espresso running through their veins. I wonder what Robbie could do if he could leave all the heavy stuff alone between events?

Big Dave Morton, a true gentleman and God knows what he's capable of if he had the time to really train consistently. His bending was awesome, used the least amount of padding and held his hands real close together......mucho respecto!

Tommy H., the real deal. Quiet and unassuming but amazingly gifted, knows how to compete. A super cool guy, if he figures out how to crank up his bending watch out!

Clay, a monster grip and a great guy. I only expect great stuff from him. Did you try that bar I gave you yet?

Steve G., very strong and an all around nice guy. Definitely a seasoned competitor, picked his weights well, and showed great smooth technique on all events. Impressed me with his Red attempt, old terminator style :D

Big Steve, should be called Huge Steve. A gentle GIANT!

Dan C., relentless, intense, strong, a great friend. Awesome to see you and Jess again. The millstone awaits!

Rick, a maniac of a competitor! Great to see you and Amy again, no prob on the pic!

Eli, a monster in the mold. Use your gifts, don't waste them!

Kurt Lane, impressive as anything I've seen.....definitely deserved the Diesel award!

Doc, Roger, Nick, Jonathan McMillan :rock

Anyone else I left out, it was not intentional....everybody rocked!

And last but not least, the guy I spent 10+ hours in the car with (Steve Weiner) dominated the 50lb blob.....first time!

Man - did I hate to miss out on all of that great gripping!!

Congrats to all the competitors!

Brett

Interesting discussion on the V-bar. Could we keep this thread focused on the Global Grip Challenge and people's individual accounts of the day/night though? Thanks.

-Jedd-

Sorry Jedd,

No deliberate attempt to hijack the thread. I will discuss v-bar technique elsewhere if there is interest.