Ironmind bending certs

John McCarter

51 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Hello, my name is Ladnar, welcome to our house. Are you looking for a new car?
Hi, thanks, yes I am searching for a new car. Can you offer me a good one?
Of course, I can show you one of the best of ours, here is a brand new Ford Edge. A great car.
Yes, truly a great car. Can you show me some features?
Sure, my suggestion is, that you enter the car from the trunk and try to reach the backseat on the right side, from there you can try to reach the steering wheel and start the car.
Hm, are you sure? I think there are better solutions to start the car?
This is the way to go. I also talked to my team and we are very sure that this is the way to go. Other things are just circus tricks.
Hm, I am not sure about this. I think even Henry (Ford) would think there are better ways!?
Mark Henry is also biulding cars!? I think he will do it in a great way. Do you want the car now?
I think this car is not the best for me. I have to search in other directions.
Ok, I think you need more time to get better education for a new car. Good luck on your way.
Hm, thanks. Bye!

Very accurate XD

1 hour ago, Horrido said:

Hello, my name is Ladnar, welcome to our house. Are you looking for a new car?
Hi, thanks, yes I am searching for a new car. Can you offer me a good one?
Of course, I can show you one of the best of ours, here is a brand new Ford Edge. A great car.
Yes, truly a great car. Can you show me some features?
Sure, my suggestion is, that you enter the car from the trunk and try to reach the backseat on the right side, from there you can try to reach the steering wheel and start the car.
Hm, are you sure? I think there are better solutions to start the car?
This is the way to go. I also talked to my team and we are very sure that this is the way to go. Other things are just circus tricks.
Hm, I am not sure about this. I think even Henry (Ford) would think there are better ways!?
Mark Henry is also biulding cars!? I think he will do it in a great way. Do you want the car now?
I think this car is not the best for me. I have to search in other directions.
Ok, I think you need more time to get better education for a new car. Good luck on your way.
Hm, thanks. Bye!

Most people will never know why the last part is so funny xD

I did two bends where I tried to adhere to the new rules from Ironmind. Though after I realized that I did not keep the hands and nail between sternum and waist and I also braced my hand against my wrist. 

The microphone on my camera is so broken so you can hardly hear what I’m saying. But I can summerize. “Bending in this way is dumb.”

• Like 7

5 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I did two bends where I tried to adhere to the new rules from Ironmind. Though after I realized that I did not keep the hands and nail between sternum and waist and I also braced my hand against my wrist. 

The microphone on my camera is so broken so you can hardly hear what I’m saying. But I can summerize. “Bending in this way is dumb.”

Just get stronger 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

Just get stronger 

Also try being less weak

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Also try being less weak

Good advice! Having less weak solves all problems.

I think it’s obvious that Ironmind has not been able to formulate a set of rules that is in actual coherence with how they want the athletes to perform the bend. My guess, considering Ironmind’s history, the wording of the rules, and the likely input from guy’s like Slazbob is that Ironmind wants the athlete to bend similar to how Brookfield is bending in Blueprint for grip strength. The problem however is that Brookfield is bending DO, and are using the same hand placements, and the same inward force as a DO bend except with a bit lower hand placement, most likely just due to poor shoulder movility. What Brookfield is doing is exactly how a guy with poor shoulder mobility would execute a DO bend. Ironmind has misunderstood the mechanics thinking that what Brookfield is doing in that video requires more wrist strength when it really doesn’t. Brookfield’s style in that video is just as reliant on bracing the hands against the chest and belly as a normal DO is.

This is what I was talking about when I referred Ironmind to an 8 year old with a shotgun. I was trying to paint a picture of a person with alot of power but with absolutely no competence or experience at this particular task. So as soon as you leave them unsupervised, their power backfires on them and they “shoot their own foot off with the shotgun”.

• Like 9

Well said David… interesting to see how this plays out!  
Watching the new BTB podcast now with Derek featured, discussing this topic in detail.  To change cert rules after 20+ years makes no sense imo… we will see! 
Cheers brother!

• Like 2

Officially off the Red Nail and Crushed to Dust list as of today!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

New rules posted today. 

No clamps or runner bands at any point and panda must touch for red nail or 1-1/2 gap on center with gold. 

https://www.ironmind.com/certification/red-nail-gold-nail-/rules-for-bending-certification/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, stranger said:

New rules posted today. 

No clamps or runner bands at any point and panda must touch for red nail or 1-1/2 gap on center with gold. 

https://www.ironmind.com/certification/red-nail-gold-nail-/rules-for-bending-certification/

Just saw that. So in short what has really changed is no using of clamps to wrap the nail and no using of "folding" so wraps must be touching.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Just saw that. So in short what has really changed is no using of clamps to wrap the nail and no using of "folding" so wraps must be touching.

Yea, and the 2 minute time limit. It says from when they first get touched but I'm guessing that actually mean from the start of the wrapping process. 

@bruce1337 you gonna go for it?

3 hours ago, stranger said:

Yea, and the 2 minute time limit. It says from when they first get touched but I'm guessing that actually mean from the start of the wrapping process. 

@bruce1337 you gonna go for it?

Makes sense. To start the timer from when they are actually touched would be dumb. Takes a minute just to set up the wraps 😂

Hmm I don't think so. Setting my sights on bigger bars in double pads and getting back into braced bending.

Are you still gonna go for it?

• Like 1

How will they ensure that the wraps are rolled on straight? Wouldn’t you be able just to roll the wraps on like usual and then for the last bit you just angle the wraps so the ends come in towards the middle so that the wraps are touching? 

Also, you could totally abuse the rules by adjusting how you fold it to make it wider. I mean, how are they going to be able to ensure that you fold so that the edges of the wraps are completely aligned? If you just fold it so that they’re not aligned you can widen the wraps so that they basically basically have the same overhang.

The new rules are not quite as dumb. But still pretty dumb.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Makes sense. To start the timer from when they are actually touched would be dumb. Takes a minute just to set up the wraps 😂

Hmm I don't think so. Setting my sights on bigger bars in double pads and getting back into braced bending.

Are you still gonna go for it?

I'm gonna try it on some smaller bars here and there but ultimately the goal is the Horrido 8.8. 

13 hours ago, David_wigren said:

How will they ensure that the wraps are rolled on straight? Wouldn’t you be able just to roll the wraps on like usual and then for the last bit you just angle the wraps so the ends come in towards the middle so that the wraps are touching? 

Also, you could totally abuse the rules by adjusting how you fold it to make it wider. I mean, how are they going to be able to ensure that you fold so that the edges of the wraps are completely aligned? If you just fold it so that they’re not aligned you can widen the wraps so that they basically basically have the same overhang.

The new rules are not quite as dumb. But still pretty dumb.

I just read the rules again. It’s still pretty garbage. The biggest issue, apart from what I mentioned above, is rule number 4:

”This is an unbraced bend—incidental contact between the bender's arms or hands (or the nail itself) and the bender's body is permitted.”

The word “incidental” is a big problem. Because incidental means that it had no affect on the outcome. Therefore, if you can’t recreate the bend without the contact, then it was not incidental and should therefore be illegal according to these rules. Having the hands stabilize against your torso can not be considered incidental contact for this reason.

The rules were good before the change. This is total garbage. 

• Like 4