Stretching and contrast baths for hands

• Like 1

Light chest

1 set each flat/de/incline

1x10 @ 125

Rev 2" db curls w/ 27 2x5 each hand

One hand Climber curl overhand 1x10/underhand 1x10 @ 95#

Left hand reps w/ 130# inch trainer 1x5

Dynamic sledge hammer work, holds off the bounce to 25", 2 second count strict with unbroken wrist

2x20 shot rotations each hand

Also been running, third day in a row 11:20 mile and a half, first half is a significant grade then back downhill. Cardio stamina coming back to me.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Is this doing wrist curls with a mixed grip and why? I hope the recovery goes well.

How Do you one hand curl the climber? :D

Is this doing wrist curls with a mixed grip and why? I hope the recovery goes well.

Thanks Josh, I stayed disciplined and didn't push things... i'd say perhaps another week and i'll be comfortable with training normal again. I mislabeled the curls, they are one handed fingercurls from the rack... i guess climber curls involve the Climber Curl apparatus - another Chris Rice brainchild.. just got it mixed up

How Do you one hand curl the climber? :D

yeah you got me! lol... these were strict fingercurls; bar rolled down to joint of first digits, then curled fully into a closed fist... balancing the bar adds to the challenge

• Like 1

40# FG DB hang snatches, 2x40 (switching hands at the tens)

left hand gripper work, 2x3 vulcan L12 w/ 20mil block, 2x5 bbsm same block

2x3 squats @ 260#

plate rim thumb swings, 2x20 w/ 25# plate

2x15 shot rotations

added plate holds to start rebuilding my recovering tendons... 2 sets front/2 sets to the rear, ten seconds each hand w/ 25# plate

BW 185

Bodyweight calisthenics medley; 10 min straight assorted movements

1.5 mile run - 11:17 same route even uphill/downhill distance

Edited by jvance

BW 186.8

goodmornings 2x5 @ 100#

OH squat 1x8 @ 100

one hand FG 40# db jerks 1x40 switching hands at the ten

8# dex shot rotations 1x60 switching at the tens

1.5 mile run, 10:53

Squats to 260# 2x5

DO deadlift 315#, 1x8 switched from conv to sumo at 3r - kept the reps slow and strict, tough set

1.5" blockset work with GHP5, 3x5 each hand, right hand added long set pause on last rep and overcrush - left was tough

2hp 50mm to 163#, 1x5, 3x6. Tough reps in 33 degree cold dry garage but hands were stronger than expected after a few weeks off

• Like 1

Lol I'm trying to touch up on my gripper strength/skill and see if I can work on wider sets.

• Like 2

Are your reps touch and go or do you reset?

Are your reps touch and go or do you reset?

Touch n go no regrips. It really gets that "dynamic eccentric" and more time under tension. The only tough thing about pinch is monitoring progress with so many outside factors like temp and humidity playing in the equation.

• Like 1

Well sure it is, I went to radio shack an bought a gadget that does humidity and temp I always write them down when I pinch. Hopefully one day someone will show me how to corelate the all the factors.

Yeah I might invest in that, it'll prolly help if you have a bad pinch day but you know it's the conditions not ineffective training or other factors.

Crazy weekend, barely made it back in town... stupid airlines

i think my wrist is good to go.. did a little greasin the groove grip work after i got home

blob taps 40 and 45# blobs.. 2 sets each hand for 10

plate holds 25# 2 sets for twelve seconds - no pain felt easy

one hand rack pulls empty 2.5" barbell 100#... a bunch of pulls to test the wrist power in my right hand but did both hands. Came up fast and with control each pull... I think thickbar training is a go again.. cautiously until i break in the hands for hard training again

a few other random stuff dex balls etc... got my powerball in the mail also.. got it spinnin' best run was to over 10,000 rpm.. forearms burned up quick!! that thing is no joke.. great addition to training

BW 185.5

ten minute warmup with powerball, medium speed, i think between 5-8k rpm

2hp 50mm, 3x5 @ 173#, no regrips last set 5 second hold on final rep

fat grips DL on new crossfit bar, 3x5 @ 255# - very smooth spin and FGs on non knurled makes this MUCH more challenging than an axle - if i can work up to 5x3 @ 300# it would be a great initial goal

plate holds 3 sets each hand twelve seconds each

finished with 8# sledgewalks 2 each hand back to back

very cold dry day in garage, tough to stay warmed up - felt strong though

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

I was out in the cold garage, too, Jon. But I much prefer it to the jungle hot garage. I inevitably make my best strength gains in the the winter.

• Like 1

I was out in the cold garage, too, Jon. But I much prefer it to the jungle hot garage. I inevitably make my best strength gains in the the winter.

Yeah we moved in during October, I haven't yet experienced the SA jungle summer, I remember basic training being crazy hot but that was about ten years ago... cold isn't so bad, it just requires more prep and warm up.

Today BW down to 182.6 after some crazy PT out in the field... probably hiked about 8 miles

just did 3 five minute sessions with the powerball switching hands about every 30 seconds, light rpm

then plate holds w/ 25# plate, front then rear each 12 seconds for wrist tendon light stimulation

finished w/ 2 sets of 25# rim thumb swings, 20 reps each nice burn in the thumb/pad area

BW 181.2

Wasn't planning on doing any grip but went out to mess around anyway...

IM anvil trainer, warmup then singles from 179#-194#, five pound increments each hand

2" vbar singles up to 251# both hands

35s pinch, 2 five second holds each hand

1hp singles to 93# then one hold each hand (2 seconds left/9 seconds right)

finished up with some planche work, dex balls and a five round continuous 8# sledgewalk

cool down with powerball

When you say plate holds, am I correct in assuming that you're going like halfway into a plate curl and then holding it there?

When you say plate holds, am I correct in assuming that you're going like halfway into a plate curl and then holding it there?

Yes sir, plate and wrist are parallel with ground, extended and straight out. I do it strictly for tendon conditioning at this point and avoid extreme weight.

• Like 1

BW 183

2" axle one hand thumbless cleans, singles to 135#

then power shrugs same bar, thumbless @ 255# for 12 and 285# overhand for 10

plate holds 2 front/2 rear twelve seconds each hand

double blob floor drags 3 sets at 30 feet each, the hard way with bottom flat on floor not canted, (again for those aspiring to master a certain blob this is a way to train the width at a lower intensity so you can train other things - full out blob training drains my hands quick so this is my alternative)

then i worked hub up to 45# for a right hand hold six seconds, left hand was barely locking it out (pathetic hub whatever, gotta start getting better at it)

that's really it.. nice lower intensity workout... powerball is working great for warmup, cooldown, and throughout the day maintenance :)

Edited by jvance

Not enough, these work like magic for me. I had my fatman for year before I could lift it and I tried all the other methods with little improvement. When I started these air came pretty quick and a full lift very soon after.

It all comes down to Time Under Tension. Attempting and floating or failing all the time or isometrics and negatives do not give adequate TUT. Also max effort attempts all the time are counterproductive and make other lifts suffer. The drags give the benefit of a hold without having to lift off the floor.

I really believe in the drags, incline ramp drags are great also if your floor is too smooth and easy. I pull mine on my rubber floor so it's fairly challenging.

To answer your question, twice a week should be sufficient. I try to get 50-100 feet of total distance in a session.