Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

That's some nice bending! I tried bending briefly but found that it wrecked my gripper work and stopped to focus on grippers. I think I'm going to give it another go using DU and maybe reverse.

That's some nice bending! I tried bending briefly but found that it wrecked my gripper work and stopped to focus on grippers. I think I'm going to give it another go using DU and maybe reverse.

yeah bending wrecked my grippers. Decided to keep bending because I was doing so well and could reach a Red cert before a #3 cert. Will aim to cert the Red, go back to trying to get the #3 cert, then probably back to bending. Love bending!

Nice jump on the 410lb calibrated bar! That's a very solid bar in Drill Rod.

Thanks Ben. Was a bit surprised to jump from 390 to 410 in a couple days. I have another that I'll try to do in a minute per IM rules for the BB list.

Just a quick few bends today.

2x 60d mod DU IMPs

7.5" 5/16" O1 IMPs+suede 1.35" only 5 hits before had to go to work, moved to 70deg, will try and finish tomorrow.

Will aim to do more DU and IMP+suede until the splits on the fingers heal. I can't keep tearing them open each time I bend. Shoulders could use some DO rest too.

(bad word filter) those G8s!!! Got all amped and and only gave it a wobble. There was nothing holding me back. az-grip cal'd FNLs at 450 and 490. I've wobble several now but that's it. Damn those things.

Needed an ego boost so grabbed a Bastard in IMPs+suede and killed it. First one.

Then tried a Red in IMPs and got nothing.

Went for a 5"x17/64" 525# DO IMP cert for BB and failed around the 90deg part. Kinked easy but got stuck there, I don't believe the crush would have held me up. Damnit. Rough day but I'll be better for it.

Looks very strong. Congratulations, good to see that you are getting serious progress!

:mosher

Looks very strong. Congratulations, good to see that you are getting serious progress!

:mosher

Thanks man. A little over 3 months in and bending Bastards in doubles and 410# drill rod in IM pads ain't too shabby. I was making solid gripper progress until bending which is a shame. I aim to cert the Red then go back to grippers to see where that takes me. Hopefully I can pick those up where I left off.

I expect to see you pick grippers back up where you left off as well too!

I expect to see you pick grippers back up where you left off as well too!

Allready started again very carefully! you can see in my traininglog. :yikes

As for bending and grippers, one thing at a time bro, that's the nice thing on griptraining and bending.

So much to do!

Dangit, left my workout log in the car. Too lazy to get it. Will summarize.

Rolling Thunder

Tried to a PR today of 170lbs for a bodyweight pull.

Got air under 170lbs, 160lbs feels good.

Getting close, need to try water trick next time!

2x35lbs plate pinches, and 2x25lbs 10 second holds.

IM Hub

Tried for a PR, goal is 60lbs.

50lbs both hands was easy. Maxed at 55lbs today. Still a PR!

Rock climbed 4 routes then arms were useless.

Weighted Pullups

2 sets 5 rep 50lbs Felt really good so tried for more.

1 set 2.5 rep 75lbs

1 set 1.5 rep 75lbs

Not sure why weighted pullups are so damn fun.

Did some pullups where you press over the bar and did some windshield wiper like ab work.

Back to bending today. Took a few days off because shoulder was acting up. Still was today, mostly on the kink. Was sore from yesterdays workout, must have been a good one and felt WEAK on the kink DO. Probably has more to do with taking time off bending too long.

7"x9/32" CRS DO IMP warmup

6"x1/4" G8 doubles, had to kill one, still aching for it in IMPs

Red kink ISO work

7"x5/16" HRS fail on kink! Like I said weak

6.5" Bastard doubles, stopped me at 15deg, much harder than 7", probably get it on a good day

7.5"x5/16" O1 was at 70deg, moved to 120deg in IMPs

5"x17/64" 525# that got stuck at 90deg during cert attempt, finished today. If I can blow through 90deg part I could cert this. Need more practice.

7" mod DU kink ISOs

7"x1/4" CRS done reverse IMPs

525andG8.jpg

More bending today. Still super sore in chest and back from Monday. Also left shoulder still giving me crap, but not as much today. I choked more up on the bar in DO to take pressure off shoulders.

I sucked super bad on the kink today. Couldn't get **** moving or past 18deg. My crush is still getting way stronger. I need to do kink ISOs more often since that's my weak link now.

7"x5/16" HRS DO IMPs fails micro wobble! pretty weak if I can't do this

7.5"x5/16" O1 DO IMPs was 120deg, finished somewhat easily. Crush was hardest I've done and I moved it with speed today too. Check off crush not an issue right now.

7"x"N" 405# cert attempt and fail at 18deg. This really drove home how my kink sucks balls right now. Not sure if shoulder or just sore muscles.

Dangit, left my workout log in the car. Too lazy to get it. Will summarize.

Rolling Thunder

Tried to a PR today of 170lbs for a bodyweight pull.

Got air under 170lbs, 160lbs feels good.

Getting close, need to try water trick next time!

2x35lbs plate pinches, and 2x25lbs 10 second holds.

IM Hub

Tried for a PR, goal is 60lbs.

50lbs both hands was easy. Maxed at 55lbs today. Still a PR!

Rock climbed 4 routes then arms were useless.

Weighted Pullups

2 sets 5 rep 50lbs Felt really good so tried for more.

1 set 2.5 rep 75lbs

1 set 1.5 rep 75lbs

Not sure why weighted pullups are so damn fun.

Did some pullups where you press over the bar and did some windshield wiper like ab work.

Nice to see ur near pulling bodyweight on RT, way to get after that goal :mosher

Thanks Bit T. According to someone, water instead of chalk can help 10-20lbs on the RT. I only need 5lbs to hit my BW goal so worth a shot for sure.

Kept it simple today.

Finished off that 7"x"N" 405# that I failed on at 15deg yesterday. Kink still weak, crush feeling good. I attribute that to wigren's advice of less hybrid crush and more balanced crush.

Saturday

Full day of snowboarding in tahoe today. Had to bend today too. Mostly DU work to get better at that and some DO.

4x 60d Mod DU

1x 60d reverse, took one hit from both hands as lead

1x 7"x17/64 O1 DR Mod DU PR! Felt great even after the 5 60ds

7" ISO attempts

Crush work on already dead 7" 410# and 5" 525# bars. Moved both an extra 3/8".

Sunday

More snowboarding :mosher

Bent stuff plus usual sledge work.

All IMPs:

7"x5/16" HRS ISOs damn kink sucks still

7"x19/64" O1 DO done

7"x1/4" CRS mod DU done

5"x17/64" DO got stuck at 12deg when pointer fingers crashed together. It's as if I forgot how to bend the short stuff. I did a 5" 525#, but how...

7"x17/64" mod DU took to 60deg in one hit. Still my DU PR, will have to try something harder.

Red stuck at 85deg, was my 90deg range ISO bar but finished it today.

Conclusion: DO kink is behind where it once was, not sure why, whether shoulder, over working out/bending?. 90deg range and crush getting stronger. DU is coming along nicely. Trying to do one good DU bend a workout to not be so damn weak at it.

Your DO kink might be one of those issues where you just have to include some supra-maximal length (7.5" or 8") bends every workout to help keep the groove for your hard bends. Preferably these supra-maximal bends wouldn't be all-out efforts, but they would need to be harder than 1/4"x7.5" CRS too. More like 9/32"x7.5" Drill Rod (O-1) would be appropriate as a harder warmup bend before attempting Reds, etc.

Your DO kink might be one of those issues where you just have to include some supra-maximal length (7.5" or 8") bends every workout to help keep the groove for your hard bends. Preferably these supra-maximal bends wouldn't be all-out efforts, but they would need to be harder than 1/4"x7.5" CRS too. More like 9/32"x7.5" Drill Rod (O-1) would be appropriate as a harder warmup bend before attempting Reds, etc.

Thanks Ben. I'll try that!

7.5"x1/4" square DO IMPs tiny wobble, ISOs

7"x5/16" HRS DO IMPs nothing, ISOs

5"x17/64" O1 was 12deg, moved to 15deg, still figuring out this short stuff

7"x9/32" O1 mod DU IMPs micro wobble

6.5" Bastard IMPs+suede was 13deg, moved to 19deg

7"x5/16" O1 IMPs+suede stopped at 10deg

Red at 1 7/8", crush work got to 1 3/8"

Bunch o' crush work on dead bars

7.5"x9/32" O1 DO IMPs done

Didn't use any chalk today and IMPs were loose. Pretty whooped after this session. Need to either keep session as intense like above and do twice a week OR keep at it 5 times a week but only bend a couple bars. Shoulder still bothering me, kink still sucks. Could also drop DO and just do DU for a month and see what happens. That's probably a good idea.

Good session! Be warned that if you drop DO for a month and only do DU you'll most likely regress even further on your DO kink of course. Slight possibility that you won't lose any strength on it though. The good thing about focusing on DU for a month would be that your DU strength/ability will increase and that's a good thing in the long run - even for your DO aspirations.

Thanks Ben. The shoulder bothers me so might not have a choice. I aim to drop DO for 2 weeks and focus on DU, then ease back into DO and see what happens. I'll be doing crush 4" and less crush ISOs to keep that progressing.

Didn't bend last two days. Did go to the gym yesterday though.

2/3/11

RT

Worked up to 161.5# then back to 141.5# for reps.

I'M hub

Worked up to 55# then did 5 sec hold reps at 45#.

2x35# plate pinch deadlifts

Climbed 5 routes 11a-11c, for approx 240 feet of climbing.

Weighted pullups

50# x 5 rep 1 set

75# x 3 rep 1 set

50# x 7 rep 1 set

2x25# plate pinch 10 sec holds, 2 sets.

Finished up with an imperial stout and a sour ale at my favorite pub. Very good stuff.

Can't wait for my blob to come. It should be a hoot.

Be careful bro, you don't want any setback with your bending work...

Some days more rest would do more than healing up from an injury I'm unfortunately noticing...

Good weighted pull-up work! Missing those! They shape the body very good. :mosher

All the best man.

Be careful bro, you don't want any setback with your bending work...

Some days more rest would do more than healing up from an injury I'm unfortunately noticing...

Good weighted pull-up work! Missing those! They shape the body very good. :mosher

All the best man.

Thanks Geralt. I find the above doesn't bother it at all, just DO bending and unfortunately at my job sometimes too.

I just started doing weighted pullups. Do you have a routine you liked for them?