Gripmas Carol 2008

climber511

I've pulled 440# with a hook grip straddle style, so this should be interesting.

Did it mess up your thumb any? I heard something about Frank Civatonne(sp?) doing something north of 500 with a hook and he said something like "it crushed my thumb".

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

2008 Gripmas Carol Entry Form

Grip Strength Competition

December 13, 2008

Location: Climber511’s Garage or other Crooksville Ohio Location

230 Burley St.

Crooksville, Ohio 43731

Contest starts at 10 AM. Be here by 9 please for weigh in and rules meeting

List of events are:

Grippers in Chokers at parallel – 3 attempts

Euro Pinch – 4 attempts

One Hand Olympic Bar DL – no hook grip – 3 attempts

Medley Event from Hades

Weaver Stick to Rear – 3 attempts

Entry Fee is $30 – make check out to Chris Rice.

Entry Deadline is November 20 – Entry is $50 on day of contest

Mail - with entry form – to

Chris Rice

230 Burley St.

Crooksville, Ohio 43731

The Columbus Airport is 1 hour and 20 minutes from my place. Hotels are available in Columbus coming in from the west and Zanesville from the east. A Google search is probably a better method than I am to find them. Mapquest etc seems to do a good job of getting you here but I will send directions to anyone who wants them. Please return this form and your check To Be In My Hands by Nov 20th – earlier if possible of course. I have to know early so I can make sure we have enough food etc.

Name:

Address:

City:

State & Zip Code:

Email:

Grip board name:

Weight Class:

Lightweight is 207.9# and below – Open class is 208.0# and above. Anyone can choose to lift open class BEFORE the contest starts.

There will also be the normal – if I squeeze so hard my eyeballs pop out – I won’t sue form to sign when you get here.

Gripbash Scoring System

All weights calibrated for accuracy

Prizes of some kind for 1st thru 3rd Place in Each Division

Food and Drink furnished afterwards

Above is the entry form for Gripmas - I don't know how to do PDF files or links or anything fancy. Just print it off, fill in the blanks, write a check and put it in the mail please. I don't care how good a friend you are, I need the form and check sent in on time. :D The Open class is just that - anyone may compete in it. Big or small - male or female - etc. If you have any questions - just ask away.

Chris does the "before" mean you can sign up for lightweight on the application, come in overweight, and decide to go open class? In otherwords, if you sign up lightweight on the app, you can change your mind the day of? Thanks in advance.

Josh

Josh - if you sign up Lightweight and you end up overweight at the weigh in - you will go into the Open class automatically - no harm no foul etc like in a few sports. I guess what I am trying to say is that you cannot compete as a Lightweight - then change your mind afterwards because your results would place you better in the Open Class. You have to make that decision before the competition starts. Clear as mud?

Josh - if you sign up Lightweight and you end up overweight at the weigh in - you will go into the Open class automatically - no harm no foul etc like in a few sports. I guess what I am trying to say is that you cannot compete as a Lightweight - then change your mind afterwards because your results would place you better in the Open Class. You have to make that decision before the competition starts. Clear as mud?

Perfect. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the events, Chris. As usual, you've paid attention to detail and took measures to insure fairness for all. I don't know if I will be able to attend, but I'm sure it will be a great day for all who compete.

Thanks Eric - hope you can make it up again - it won't be the same without you.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you coming to Gripmas – here are some Records from David Hornes excellent website. I thought it would give you some idea of what has been done.

Gripper In choker last year at Gripmas – 202.34# Josh Dale

TWO HANDS PINCH (Adjustable apparatus)

All-round contest - 115k David Horne - 5 Apr 2008 Stafford, England (WR)

Single event - 115k David Horne - 5 Apr 2008 Stafford, England (WR)

ONE HAND DEADLIFT - using an Olympic Bar (with no hook grip)

All-round contest – Right - 150k Steve Gardener - 24 Feb 2007 Gloucester, England

All-round contest – Left - 115k Steve Gardener - 16 Aug 2008 Haltern am See, Germany

All-round contest – Total - 250k Steve Gardener - 16 Aug 2008 Haltern am See, Germany

ONE HAND WEAVER STICK LIFT TO REAR

All-round contest – Right - 8.1k Steve Gardener - 2 Aug 2003 Stafford, England (WR)

All-round contest – Left - 8.05k David Horne - 2 Aug 2003 Stafford, England (WR)

All-round contest – Total – 15k qualify

We will be using a wrist wrap for this event.

Medley of course has no records but just as information - Jedd and Dave Thorton did every item! I hope to stop them this year.

I'll still be there. Planning on a run on some weaver stick weights, but 14 pounds is about my limit so far.

Chris, do you happen to have a list of paid competitors? I'm coming but I'm not sure if I sent a check yet... :blush

what is the diameter of your weaver stick. I stated to set one up this weekend and then realized that the broom handle I have is super thin. If I'm going to buy one it might as well be the right size.

Brent

I paid a few weeks ago.

Steve's and David's Weaver stick #s are crazy. Bob, yours are really high also.

How much more can people do with the Weaver compared to a sledge lifted in the same fashion?

Chris, do you happen to have a list of paid competitors? I'm coming but I'm not sure if I sent a check yet... :blush

Zach - you have not paid yet :D

So far I have

Bob Sundin

Tim Karwatske

Brent Barbie

and me of course

what is the diameter of your weaver stick. I stated to set one up this weekend and then realized that the broom handle I have is super thin. If I'm going to buy one it might as well be the right size.

Brent

Brent - the one I made is an actual 1" diameter dowel I bought at the lumber yard. It was maybe $3-4.

I paid a few weeks ago.

How much more can people do with the Weaver compared to a sledge lifted in the same fashion?

Bob - I remember doing 12# after Gripmas last year - I know a couple others beat me (Eaton and someone or a couple someones maybe) but I can't remember what they did. I haven't really compared the Weaver Stick numbers to sledge numbers. The handle shape is different but I have no clue how that affects the lift.

So far I have

Bob Sundin

Tim Karwatske

Brent Barbie

and me of course

Alright, I just wanted to make sure. It'll be in the mail sometime this week :)

dammit, stop spelling my name wrong. is this an example of gamesmanship for rex's paper? It's "Barbe". it was spelled wrong on my frying pan last year s as well. I'm watching you, Rice.

So far I have

Bob Sundin

Tim Karwatske

Brent Barbie

and me of course

Brent, a few of us were sitting around the Rice's kitchen table when you arrived last year. Someone saw you and said "Barbe!". Both my wife and I thought they were talking to her and had a moment of confusion, because she has a friend who calls her "Barbie". :D

dammit, stop spelling my name wrong. is this an example of gamesmanship for rex's paper? It's "Barbe". it was spelled wrong on my frying pan last year s as well. I'm watching you, Rice.

So far I have

Bob Sundin

Tim Karwatske

Brent Barbie

and me of course

So far I have

Bob Sundin

Tim Karwatske

Brent Barbie

and me of course

Brent - I'd send you a hooker to keep you up all night before Gripmas but Mary Ann would kill me :blush . Sorry about the name - between not being able to spell and not be able to type - I never know what comes out.

I paid a few weeks ago.

Bob - I remember doing 12# after Gripmas last year - I know a couple others beat me (Eaton and someone or a couple someones maybe) but I can't remember what they did. I haven't really compared the Weaver Stick numbers to sledge numbers. The handle shape is different but I have no clue how that affects the lift.

I hope it compares fairly close, I can come a hair away from getting a 20 lb. rear lever... :fear

I paid a few weeks ago.

I hope it compares fairly close, I can come a hair away from getting a 20 lb. rear lever... :fear

Holy Smokes - a 20# rear lever! :rock - I sure hope you can make it to Gripmas - I want to watch that!

We have our first sponsor - many thanks to WWW.PERTHSTRONGMAN.COM for his generous contribution to Gripmas 2008!

Check out his excellent website!

Edited by climber511