First bench workout in 6+ years

Bench and accessories workout

Flat bench

4 warm up sets up to 45-155

Working sets, paused last rep

185x6

205x4

225x2

245x1 (felt really good, no sticking points)

185x10

Narrow grip

155x12

135x12

Superset accessories

12 Band side raises, 20 band front raises, 15 band tricep extensions and 12 rows 135lbs. 

Really not too concerned with reps, mostly want to get a good burn in each muscle group. 

Also, I need dumbbells lol

Awesome session. Thats a strong bench for not having trained it for so many years 💪

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Awesome session. Thats a strong bench for not having trained it for so many years 💪

Thanks man! I think it's because I have a physical job and from all the steel bending. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stranger said:

Thanks man! I think it's because I have a physical job and from all the steel bending. 

May I ask what you do for work?  I only ask because, I'm always afraid to push myself too hard in the gym because i'm in construction. It has taken years to really dial in works for me and i'm curious what others do to balance it out.  Its not easy, but done right, they both compliment each other. 

I honestly want to get out of the trades but it's all I know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

May I ask what you do for work?  I only ask because, I'm always afraid to push myself too hard in the gym because i'm in construction. It has taken years to really dial in works for me and i'm curious what others do to balance it out.  Its not easy, but done right, they both compliment each other. 

I honestly want to get out of the trades but it's all I know.

I'm a Fire Sprinkler Fitter so I get a lot of arm work in the day from pulling wrenches and lifting things up. 

I do miss when I had a dead end job because I  would kill myself in the gym 4 days a week and not care but now not being able to work physically is my livelihood. So I just take it slower. 

What trade are you in?

42 minutes ago, stranger said:

I'm a Fire Sprinkler Fitter so I get a lot of arm work in the day from pulling wrenches and lifting things up. 

I do miss when I had a dead end job because I  would kill myself in the gym 4 days a week and not care but now not being able to work physically is my livelihood. So I just take it slower. 

What trade are you in?

General Contractor, everything from carpentry to masonry. We take on a lot of structural stuff that involves both. I do all all the grunt work. I’d like to get into more metal work though. 

one thing I started doing a few years back. If you have a wife and kids it might be hard to find the time, but stretch your body after work as often as possible. I do anywhere from 5-35 minutes a night stretching. It’s made a huge difference. Including the wrists with what we do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

General Contractor, everything from carpentry to masonry. We take on a lot of structural stuff that involves both. I do all all the grunt work. I’d like to get into more metal work though. 

one thing I started doing a few years back. If you have a wife and kids it might be hard to find the time, but stretch your body after work as often as possible. I do anywhere from 5-35 minutes a night stretching. It’s made a huge difference. Including the wrists with what we do.

I definitely wanna start stretching more. I'm just a lazy idiot lol. 

Quick workout today, only had an hour

Fatgripz DL

135x5

225x3

275x1

300x0 very very close

225x5

Blob 46lbs

Two lifts right and broke it off the ground a few times lefty. This was my first time ever lifting it so I'm super happy! 

Rogue deep dish 45 hub X1 each hand. This thing is super slick. Gotta get some old school deep dish 45's.

• Like 7

Fat grips deadlift (again)

Worked up to 275 for 2 singles, missed 295. Still tired from yesterday.

Incline narrow grip bench again orange bands (70lbs each, ELITEFTS)

115, 8 sets of 3

135,2 sets of 3

135 no bands, 4 sets of 8

Tricep extension with red band (smaller than orange)

Dumbbell skull crushers

35x12

50x3x10

Did some grip with LBH, 2 3/8 rolling handle and FBBC grab ball. Worked up to 90lbs and did some long holds at the top. 

PXL_20220515_203240999.MP.jpg

• Like 4

Squats with bending in-between

Warmed up 135,185,225

275-1 flats, 1 oly shoes

225-3,3,3

185-5,5,5

Front squat 135x10

Bending

1/4x6 g6

1/4x6 g8

3-70d's (one in 3 hits)

5/16x7 drill rod 

Edited by stranger
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, stranger said:

Squats with bending in-between

Warmed up 135,185,225

275-1 flats, 1 okay shoes

225-3,3,3

185-5,5,5

Front squat 135x10

Bending

1/4x6 g6

1/4x6 g8

3-70d's (one in 3 hits)

5/16x7 drill rod 

These went down real fast!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, matek said:

These went down real fast!

Thanks man! Yea, I shocked myself. Haven't bent in a few days due to hand pain. 

• Like 1

Flats vs olys comparison. Really trying to get my groove back and was messing around with hand, feet and bar placement. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, stranger said:

Flats vs olys comparison. Really trying to get my groove back and was messing around with hand, feet and bar placement. 

Great squats. 

Ive been squatting 20 years and always used to use converse so flat shoes. Then 7 years ago or so i switched to oly shoes and did like them but would sometimes struggle witu falling forward if i ever failed a rep in the hole. 

Ive just switched to flats again and wish i did earlier tbh, although ive only done 1 session back in flats. Ive found it feels better now and i hit depth no problem. I believe that using Oly shoes for years has helped my flexibility and now in flats feel way better. I actually use water shoes but love them. Great for deads also.

Which do you prefer? 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Great squats. 

Ive been squatting 20 years and always used to use converse so flat shoes. Then 7 years ago or so i switched to oly shoes and did like them but would sometimes struggle witu falling forward if i ever failed a rep in the hole. 

Ive just switched to flats again and wish i did earlier tbh, although ive only done 1 session back in flats. Ive found it feels better now and i hit depth no problem. I believe that using Oly shoes for years has helped my flexibility and now in flats feel way better. I actually use water shoes but love them. Great for deads also.

Which do you prefer? 

Thank you!

I'm only about 1-2 months back to lifting so I'm still trying to find my groove again. I squatted in flats for years but then bought the olys and really love how they made my feet feel like they're glued to the floor. 

I was surprised with how good the flats felt but ultimately liked the olys more. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stranger said:

Thank you!

I'm only about 1-2 months back to lifting so I'm still trying to find my groove again. I squatted in flats for years but then bought the olys and really love how they made my feet feel like they're glued to the floor. 

I was surprised with how good the flats felt but ultimately liked the olys more. 

Its a strong start back. 💪

I found that as well, the stability of oly shoes is amazing. Have you tried standing overhead pressing in them? Thats what i like my oly shoes for the most.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I found that as well, the stability of oly shoes is amazing. Have you tried standing overhead pressing in them? Thats what i like my oly shoes for the most.

I have in the past when I went to a gym but my garage is too small for that now. Gonna have to take it outside

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Big like, I'm the same. When I was heavier and focused on strict OHP, I hit somewhat big numbers in oly shoes. 

For squats, first I felt really uncomfortable and unstable, but eventually it helped me hit competition depth with less effort compared to converse. 

• Like 2

Shoulder press

185x1 , missed the double

135x5x5

95 with fat grips x 3x10

FBBC Grab Ball

130x1 

142x1 missed right, made lefty

109x10 each hand

95x10 each hand

34lb blob 3x10-12

Barbell curls 

135x3x15

• Like 4

16 hours ago, matek said:

Big like, I'm the same. When I was heavier and focused on strict OHP, I hit somewhat big numbers in oly shoes. 

For squats, first I felt really uncomfortable and unstable, but eventually it helped me hit competition depth with less effort compared to converse. 

Agreed 👍 Oly shoes are amazing for overhead stability. I did used to love them for squats as well but flats felt much better now than they used too. I say flats, they are actually Just minimalist water shoes so just a thin rubber sole what are surprisingly stable considering they slip on. They feel amazing for training in and im getting a lot of calf activation what is a nice bonus.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bench, Blob and hub.

260x1

225x5x4 (5 sets of 4)

Narrow grip

185x2x8

135x4x10

Block weights

Got the 90 hex a few times each hand

17 reps with 80 hex

20 reps 70 York round head

Hub-45lb plate

45+10lbs

Air transfer

Double 45 DL X3

• Like 5

Also ripped my first deck in plastic today, this was at the very end. Very happy with this.

• Like 5

Squats and flask

Weight x Sets x reps

275x5x1

245x3

225x5

135x10

Flask

70x1

78x0

65x3x3

58x12 ,(each hand)

Can't get rid of this car tear video lol

Edited by stranger
  • Like 7

Some fantastic feats! That card tear... sick! Now the pressing question: is the flask also capable of holding your whisky? 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Viking said:

Some fantastic feats! That card tear... sick! Now the pressing question: is the flask also capable of holding your whisky? 

Thanks man!

Yea, I think I can do a shot out of it 😂