Photo

From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   jvance

jvance

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0 (both hands)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 1 Month and 4 Days
  • Local time: 09:24 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

agreed Eric, very touching

#362 OFFLINE   Anthony C.

Anthony C.

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Joined 8 Months and 13 Days
  • Local time: 10:24 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

You're a good man, richard. Thank you for sharing that

#363 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 1 Month and 25 Days
  • Local time: 04:24 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

I will always wonder the "real story "of that man and children. Maybe I was totally wrong and he was a friend or uncle. Perhaps the broken arm was from doing a fun activity instead of punching a wall in stressed anger over his family plight. The little girl seemed like she craved so much love but it was not put in a form perhaps she could readily see. I left happier seeing them enjoy the day a bit more together than having all that stuff in the store. Family , blood and people that have always stood by us are priceless, I hope for a moment or two each day we clearly remember and treasure that.
  • Anthony C. likes this

#364 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Great night training last night every one of the pack pushed a pr bench press. Hundo did 350 raw about at 190. Johnny that started out on a 65 lb bench has gained 30 lbs of muscle ,. and easily pushed 240. Ms S trained by Adrianne Wilson ripped up three heavy sets of deadlifts 4 reps with 180! She could barely lift the bar when she started. We all tried the new bosco squat bar and it feels better than any one I have tried . Lots of improvements . Big Donnie Thompson saw it and although having a seminar in Long Island today said "he MUST get one". We did a demo for him with the bar holding the world record squat, chains attached and bands ready to hook up. The ends of the bar don't curve up so the danger is lessened along with comfort using bands. The bar lies on your shoulders with almost no effort. Johnny is building a vice like grip and both he and Hundo are hauling up the pinched York pair of 35s on a regular basis. We have finished the prototype upgrades for the Adam Smasher grip combat device. Different than it started, but in may ways very user friendly and still keeping the raw intensity.

#365 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

A sunny day out and rested up a bit for a good week ahead.
Easter is a special day for many and and a good time to reflect. No matter our individual beliefs ,I think it is wise to believe in something if only at very minimum yourself. A positive attitude and giving thanks for even the smallest good things are good perks for the soul.
I was lying in a hospital bed split open after 12 hours of cutting , sore ,worn and alone wondering how much time I had left and what suffering it would take before I was granted to turn the page. I quit waiting and decided to do what could, enjoy what I had left of life and play the hand I had been dealt. Easy, nice, what I wanted ... but no , just move on. Today changed, but better.
I saw a tribute program about Bo Jackson yesterday. A man gifted with almost superhuman powers cut short in his career. He lived it the best he could and no matter the pain , noise ,or distraction from the roar of the crowd . All he said he ever heard" was the sound of air rushing by "as he ran to the light of an opening ahead......A great one!

#366 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

A decent training night. All seemed lackluster except the gals were at it. Our new pupil in "some way "in the past month went from an empty plastic pipe squat to 90x4 in deep good squats. What a great effort and gain. The gals all did grip work mostly Blobs, 35 lb. plate pinching attempts and heavy 80-100 thick handle Circus type Bell push jerks.
I have been sore in my joints more than usual so while the muscles seem willing the fingers wrists and shoulders don't seem to heal or function well after rest as they did before. The weights move well but pain in every rep. More tape , stretching, Epsom salts and Aleeve. I am thinking about attending the big super heavyweight deadlift showdown on August 9 in Leeds England. If I did go I wonder how cordial and spread out the chance meeting would be to interact with Mr. Snook, Mr James, Mr Horne, and Ms Horne. Does anyone know there locations in England? That would be a super trip and wonderful people to meet.

#367 OFFLINE   Tim T

Tim T

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 2 Months and 2 Days
  • Local time: 08:24 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

Richard,

This may be the first time my eyes watered reading the gripboard.  Some of the younger guys on here may not realize it, but when you have kids of your own it really softens you up for this sort of thing. 

Thank you Richard for blessing that family.

I was excited this weekend to visit the opening of a large outdoors heaven Cabelas. I coaxed old Dave a good lifting partner over the years that has been fighting cancer for 9 years now. They gave him only a 5% chance of survival in the first year and with working out and an attitude of a bull he somehow makes it. It was a joy to spend some time in the outsideworld and count my blessings.
I might have a special gift of radar or a bit ot of detective in me but a truly interesting thing happened. I rounded Dave up after he checked out everything in the place and I was at the counter paying for some gadgets for another adventure when I noticed a gentleman with two children get in line behind me. In a quick look they definitely seemed related but there was something just a bit different. He appeared to be a working trades type man , sturdy built with no wedding ring on , a fresh splint cast on his arm and two "mommy dressed" squeaky clean children with him. They were all very nice to each other but seemed uncomfortable on how to relate to each other. Perhaps a visitation day for a separated family? He was being as thoughtful as possible and the kids but they struggled to be comfortable. The little girl was clutching a stuffed toy dog like she truly loved it and the boy stood with " something" that he just seemed to be holding as a token of the Sunday trip. The man seemed nervous and when the little girl presented her new pet dog to me we quickly figured a name for it. To lighten the situation I winked at the cashier to put the pet on my bill and let life go on. The cashier smiled big ,I handed the little girl her new pet and I thought the dad was going to fall over. He said "that's the first good thing that happened to him in a long time". He seemed so relieved. I said " no it's not, look at those kids of yours". I grabbed my stuff and hit the road.

#368 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted Today, 06:04 AM

Man monster Donnie Thompson spent the afternoon at the facilityand we talked life , training ,and equipment. He was the first man to total 3000 in powerlifting including a 950 bench and 1265 squat. He has dedicated his life to helping others achieve the highest level of strength possible.We went over the design applications for my new squat bar and we both were in agreement . After that ,he spotted th DD Anderson squat barrel system. He circled it like a shark knowing perhaps the other greatest squatter of all time used such a rig. He quickly pointed out the motto painted on the barrels " filled by the tears of the weak". He was into the idea of the barrels unique feeling but was at once concerned with the built in safety of the barrels bottom hitting the floor before a full dept squat. After the first rep a huge smile on his face along with an absolute rock bottom perfect squat coupled by a light floor brush and distinct RiPPP of his new shorts! Deep ....you bet ! ANOTHER DROP OF TEARS FOR THE BARREL!( sure not weak though)We laughed ,and a minute or two later Adrianne Wilson of Highland, Shot put, and grip fame walked in to figure out what all he comedy was about.
Recovering with stretching , water and rest from a heavy day of Triplex pulls, deadlifts ,heavy curls ,and hammer curl. Tonight it is war again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users