From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Hope you heal up Richard... Cuts and stuff on the hand make me paranoid.. Just make sure you finish whatever antibiotic dose they give ya..,Don't skip... Drink a lot of OJ and vitamin C and plenty of water and rest to help your immune system fight back..

Hey ,many thanks.

I spoke with doctor and he was more than alarmed he said the incidence of bacteria( Ebola and flesh eating ) has taken a sharp rise. He suggested that the decrease of habitat for animals has pushed them and their related diseases closer to town populations. By destroying the wild perhaps in a way we are destroying ourselves.

He suggested elevation, hot water baths and noooo grip work until this thing is under control. Hand is still like a hot crab claw.

Comforting to know the "real terminology "of the affliction. Land owner of swamp said it was a case of " Salkahatchi Swamp Heebie Geebies. "That will look great on my medical report.

During the night swelling in my hand slightly reduced and color is better .. The elevation ,warm water soaks, and the antibiotics are catching hold. Doctors decision tomorrow next step. Was not settling well on the idea of being Captain Hook.

The training facility calls ,I might see if there is anything one handed that can be done. There is still a Jedd inspired challenge ahead for the next 30 days. As the 300 Spartans said when they were surrounded by 5000 Persian warriors " now we have them where we want them" lol

I couldn't resist the call of heavy singles night so clown thumb and all ....down to the gym. I was alone for a bit so did what was natural , taped the thumb and off "to at least try. "Bench amazed me no pain -at good weight, banjo presses strong, dumbbell press and good squats on our camber bar. About then the others did show after working late but still game. Ms Sonya and Kim were motoring through their deadlifts and k bell work and Hundo, and Johnny Ruthless stepped in. I said "if you are going to show up you ought to go for it." Sour looks, but they were game . In short best night ever in bench for both, Johnny going from previous best of 245 to 250, 265, 265! Hundo came close with a big 375. Squatting the same ....looked bad lifted great. Hundo a deep 400 and Johnny 325 on a Buffalo bar really solid.

I did my Thompson Protocol stretching and as I lay there I figured " in grippers you really don't directly work the thumb,so if the collerateral pressure was not too bad I might table no set a few. Amazing to me taking my thumb away from touching handle thus moving the handle moved forward and my grip was really strong. The guys still laughing at my thumb took a picture of a 2.5 shut and held for a while and an actual close call with a house 3. Maybe by adapting I may have discovered something. Pretty happy. Now off to doctor to see what he wants to do with my thumb. On the news again last night was still another story of a man burning his thumb on a muffler paying it no attention, 100hours later infection coursed through his entire system into his heart nearly causing death. Cracked skin, torn hands , rusty Iron ,others sweat, makes for a great "soup of death. "Be careful.

Another shot on Friday and the thumb seemed to turn the corner. Most of the redness is gone and pain minimal. I flushed with extra water ,rest, and higher nutrition protein intake all this weekend while keeping my mind tranquil as well speeds healing. Skin has turned from red to grey,to a white aged leather look.

It is Monday and have to get back on it with at least two arm workouts this week to keep that pesky Jedd the Pinchman in his place for the run and gun..... first to 20 " arm.

I will try grippers again along with Pops gripper choke pinches to try to have Thumb kick back in. I did wonder for years why many that were "good at grippers "were poor at other grip tasks. I think being forced not to use my thumb and still be able to close grippers proved to me our grip is the sum of the four fingers opposing the thumb,with the weakest side being the kink in the armor.

Training went vert well last night. Johnny ruthless has some gastric attack staggered outside the plant and was found face down in grass. They fixed him up at ER and as tough as he is should be fine and lifting today or Thursday.

I took my workout at a slower pace higher weight ,less exercises. Bench first for singles felt wonderful up to a strong paused raw 310 backed off for some down sets at about 80% and did fives with 265. On to old time curls on camber bar. 6 sets of 6 with 150 with the Old York deep dish iron. On to concentration machine curls. 5 sets of 20 with 75 . Arms weren't tired or pumped . In ongoing contest with Jedi Pinch they were down to 19.25.

The next task was nutcracker grippers using no thumb. Very easy through 2.5 ,almost refreshing. 2 stout try's on 3 drove the handles down well to 1/8 and 1/2"

My taped thumb after 136 reps in the curl were getting sore ,so I stopped. Later on as I pulled the tape off a leather like cylinder of skin like the tip of an old glove just hung off my thumb. Not sure what to do I soaked it a bit and it finally fell off leaving an almost new looking surface.

Well ,back to lifting and looking forward to the opening of hunting season. ( more looking than shooting).

Old school ,good day at gym . Everyone was in good mood, mixed crowd, my son ,even grandson Lil' Ezra. Ezra went to the inter active museum grip area like a magnet drew him and went down the rows of Blobs until he found the one 7lb. One proudly pinched it two handed and carried it over to G-pops. He stacked carried and re stacked some English scale block weights of 7 pounds one in each hand. He saw me closing grippers so he went over and picked up a spring collar and started squeezing it. Every dumbbell up to 10 lbs was lifted and plate pinch and toss( ow) with the 10s was fun for him not so much when they hit my toes and ankle on a regular basis. He has the look the energy and that "gathering scowl" that will one day carry him on to great feats of strength.

Going to do an extra day of arm work this week to get farther ahead of poor Jedi in the arms race. Deadlifting and triplex pulls were super last night with 265 in wide grip pulls and a last set of deadlifts raw with no straps at 440x5. Thumb peeled but held.

Old school ,good day at gym . Everyone was in good mood, mixed crowd, my son ,even grandson Lil' Ezra. Ezra went to the inter active museum grip area like a magnet drew him and went down the rows of Blobs until he found the one 7lb. One proudly pinched it two handed and carried it over to G-pops. He stacked carried and re stacked some English scale block weights of 7 pounds one in each hand. He saw me closing grippers so he went over and picked up a spring collar and started squeezing it. Every dumbbell up to 10 lbs was lifted and plate pinch and toss( ow) with the 10s was fun for him not so much when they hit my toes and ankle on a regular basis. He has the look the energy and that "gathering scowl" that will one day carry him on to great feats of strength.

Going to do an extra day of arm work this week to get farther ahead of poor Jedi in the arms race. Deadlifting and triplex pulls were super last night with 265 in wide grip pulls and a last set of deadlifts raw with no straps at 440x5. Thumb peeled but held.

Nice to have fun with family. 440 deadlift raw for reps is solid! keep going

Any of the extended Grip board family is always welcome to vi sit and feel the the steel for yourself. We do have fun here. Contacted by a WSM and circus strongman last night to perhaps live in this area and train. Strength is always welcome here.

I slogged down the road to opening day weekend on deer lease. Snakes abound as well as heat. Deer were cooperative with a group of 7 seeing over 120. I did see a real monster but let him pass to harden his horns and went with club rules to secure a management buck that was too heavy for me to initially load( getting old).

Fun was had by all and Jedd might be disturbed to know that from the nearby town festival the reigning queen placed her crown around my bicep. All in good fun ,was goaded into squeezing an adult beverage can when the tab broke off. Like being young again. Should have used a can opener.

Edited by 1stCoC

Full house last night added another gal to the crew. Everyone lifted well ,Ms .Sonya is knocking out the rep squat sets at 145 and Adrianne and Baby D mauled the 35 lb. blobs, paired plate pinch and two handed pinched 100 lb anvil. D did dozens of sets of Circus bell push press with 80 and 100. The guys are getting strong in the bench so after their top weight they did an assisted rep. With 300 for Johnny and 400 for Hundo. A little help and both lifts slid up.

My bench was good for sets of triples. No heavy assist tried.

Grippers went well TNS up to a 2.5 and held shut on last set for 10 seconds. All but closed the house 3 with my normal rolling wide set.

Tried a new thing last night trying to crush an empty Saparo Beer can. Tough metal. Good test to be able to one hand no assist to touch sides together.

I have finally found a "calibrated " grip test ! My crew many of which now grip and train decided to have me "try" what they thought was a worthy grip test. "I don't drink beer but when I crush,it is a Sapporo! This premium beer is imported and comes in a can of mechanical perfection. So strong you could, I think stand on it and still not fully crush it sides together. I did my best on a non assisted, one hand grip ,no set try. I will post to Wannagrip. I plan on if any are "game" to make our in house gym / interactive grip display wall with " non cooked" legit cans done by "monsters of grip". All you have to to is empty can., on YOUR honor crush it one handed, no set , first try, rinse it out , sign it in magic marker and send with name and address to Sorinex c/o Richard 4068 Fernandina Rd Suite E. Columbia SC. 29212. The most impressive crushed can recieved and signed will receive a 100.00 prize. The cans are to be judged for the next 30 days. And afterward, displayed in our grip museum.Good luck!

• Like 1

I have finally found a "calibrated " grip test ! My crew many of which now grip and train decided to have me "try" what they thought was a worthy grip test. "I don't drink beer but when I crush,it is a Sapporo! This premium beer is imported and comes in a can of mechanical perfection. So strong you could, I think stand on it and still not fully crush it sides together. I did my best on a non assisted, one hand grip ,no set try. I will post to Wannagrip. I plan on if any are "game" to make our in house gym / interactive grip display wall with " non cooked" legit cans done by "monsters of grip". All you have to to is empty can., on YOUR honor crush it one handed, no set , first try, rinse it out , sign it in magic marker and send with name and address to Sorinex c/o Richard 4068 Fernandina Rd Suite E. Columbia SC. 29212. The most impressive crushed can recieved and signed will receive a 100.00 prize. The cans are to be judged for the next 30 days. And afterward, displayed in our grip museum.Good luck!

We get to drink the beer first I hope :). I've never even heard of that brand of beer - how about a Busch Light can hehe! I seem to find those around the house now an then :)

I see on face book guys from Germany are trying to secure Sopporo cans from other countries to crush. Many times a simple feat that all understand is easier to appreciate than a deadlift that weighs 900. If you can't budge 450 then 900 feels no different. I think to the last woman or man that ever read this page at one time or another has crushed a can. We know what that is like.There has been some talk already "how easy it is to cheat". For a devious thinker it always is. Anything can be faked but I am willing to invest in the honor of human nature . I value my trust and good name for a lot more than 100 bucks. So, let's have some fun.

In addition To be fair to those strong ladies out there an equal prize of 100.00 for the best female crush. Rest assured,success at this simple feat will lead to further opportunities.

The other day I was advised by a member on the correct spelling of the beer company with the super can. It is as I thought Sapporo...not as I was told Sopporo. Please take note! SAPPORO

The night was hot so most of the crew lifted yesterday and some are traveling. Just two of us lifted Ms. Kim nursing a wrenched neck and myself. I decided to reduce the number of exercises, slow the pace ,but up the work set volume and intensity. I monitored my breathing and heart rate and was able to add a few top end sets. Curls on ez curl bar 6 sets of 5 with 155, machine strict curl 5 sets of 20 with 70. And squats 12 sets of 3 with 280 to 320. The all important stretching really helped afterward and trying an interesting feat of pinching two Ivanko 5 lb. plates rim to rim as they lie flat next to each other was a done but tougher than I thought( al a Mitti). I would like to work up to 2 - 10s. A tough but simple feat! I have been hearing cans rattling so we might see some mangled Saporro containers coming by soon. Working on a display shelf for the best male and female efforts entered.

Took a day off yesterday. I guess I have a couple of sick days saved in 34 years. The weather changed from the 100 down to the 70s and on my magic chart it said a 93 and100 activity rating day for critters. Saw and enjoyed seeing nature and as those bucks sneaked out of their secret places....I was lucky enough to see and enjoy them. No shots fired but a rush none the less.

I heard they hit it hard at the gym lat night with 200lb bdwt Hundo horsing up the 140 lb dumbbell presses for sets. Nice to be back a bit refreshed and focused.

I hear about a few cans getting crunched out there. I await to see further damage. Sapporo beware!

I always read the insightful posts of Jedd and he was speaking about that all too often weak link a fatigued or injured lower back. The stretching and Thompson protocol band stretch work has taken years off these painful joints. I wish more would consider the recover end of training as much as the " getting after it" . Guys like Jedd and Big Donnie understand ,I wish I did earlier!

Really good night lifting. I am soooo much more limber from stretching and regular deep muscle therapy weekly that the profound aches and lingering pain from one workout to the next is lessening. My hip and low back mobility is so improved my life quality is better. A good test if you like is just get down to the floor onto your back and stand up and recover as quickly as possible. You might be strong as a bull but mobility ,agility ,and body awareness is so important. Being able to walk , climb, carry and sit in a tree for hours like an ape has made my quality of life far better.

I looked at a curl workout I took around 1991 and wrote down 17 sets af 8 reps in the curl at 185-205. Last night thirteen years later I managed 5 sets of 8 with 165. Best in years! Triplex pulls with 9 sets up to 265 pulled to my chin sets of 3. The deadlift slid up like the old days . I use a lighter, softer belt , get closer to the bar and as in a recent youtube video by a great weightlifter demonstrated a clean , deadlift or pull is like pulling your pants up quickly from a seated to standing position., no more no less....simple.Deadlifts were easy in sets of 3 finished with a comfortable set of 6 with 405. As an aside always do curls after deadlifts NEVER before!

The gals were deadlifting in perfect form last night and Ms. Sonya also pushed her squat up to 160x5 a new PR.

Cans are coming in from as far as Germany and a few of the guys in the shop cracked a few cans of Saporro suds and gave them a good squeeze. Looking forward to see Chads and Jedds efforts along with Tex and Big Rich.

• Like 1

Still not sore from Tuesday deadlift /pull/curl day.

Big Chad told me there is more than one kind of can used for Saparro beer so any entries in contest please get the tapered 7 3/4 high ,3 3/4" wide ,flat fluted can. I think Mr. Woodall will give the "real deal" quite a ride!

It will be quiet at gym tonight ....First big SEC football game of the year and fueled for strength by Sorinex Iron ,I hope the Gamecocks prevail. Major event in SC. I am lifting early!

There was a small crew on hand to lift but all good. Ms Kim Ninja front squatted her best single for two. Nice start. It was singles night in bench and squat for 7 sets finishing with a 80% max rep down set. Johnny pushed his mark in the bench from 265 single to 270, 280,and 290 then a down set 215x10. Not bad considering that on the month he started a shakey 125 max was done. My abs were tight but I did 315 raw with a down set of 250x8. Rows 5 sets of 16 with a 100 lb dumbbell . Curls on machine 6 sets of 8 and down set of 82.5 for 25. Sad to relate to Jedd the tape measure on my arm hovered at 19. 7/8". I appreciate his competitive nature to push all of us to new heights!

A day in the sweltering heat at the zoo attempted with the grand kids. Even the gorillas that some time ago I was able to personally meet seemed to be experiencing heat sickness exhaustion. Hydrate!!!! You have to do it!

A good rest from lifting and viper hopping at the hunt club. A small scale range war I was able to avoid. In the South there is a long time feud between what is called deer still hunters and dog drivers. As in lifting both have passion and see sometimes only through a pin hole. I believe in personal rights as long as what you do is not affecting others in a negative way. Lesson learned. We are not entitled or ever 100% right. Strife ,other than channeled into a positive expenditure of energy( grip) is a total waste. It takes effort to hate.....with never a good return. Let's work to help the others to better understanding.

On a very bright note our two resident Highland games champions big Dan Mc Kim and Adrian Wilson represented our strength family well by each winning the"Big One" top honors at the Pleasanton Highland games in California. Well done!

Get involved seek your destiny! Off to a highlight of the year the Old Time Barbell strongman Dinner on Oct 11. Big Bob Zuver my brother in spirit will be there to share more of his early life magic within Zuvers gym. You just have to get up and go do it!

I missed training this weekend going to the lake with the" gym pack "on the boat now renamed the "rock it" .We landed on a sandy ,rocky beach and a single massive Husafeldt size stone beckoned to us. Theresa, one of the crew wanted it for a table in her yard so we all went to work. Everyone from beach, boat and even out of the island woods came and "became involved" to help. Two young studs showed up to flex their youthful might but cringed and disappeared when they felt this "supposed "80 lb..beast. I figured it 255-300. All ,gals included dragged it into the water and promptly sank the floats and raft . I upended the thing and for some reason in the water it felt lighter . With the big end to grip I turtle walked it the 100 feet to the boat. A heave ho and it was our prize. Everyone was happy and cheering. Involvement is the key whether it be lifting , grip or, raising a barn as in the old days . The memory and respect of everyone working together. Valuable lesson learned. We ran up on Theresa's beach and in one grinding deadlift pull tipped it off the bow and back to ground in its welcome, new home. It wasn't about the rock at all ,it was the sharing and memory . Pretty sore today!

Good lifting last night after a 100 degree day. 9 sets of 3 in Triplex pulls, 8 sets of 2 in deadlift and a finisher at top weight for 5 reps. Heavy 5x5 ez curls and 5x5 machine curls strict with two sets of 66 rep bump sets. Poor Jedd , the right claw of this old crab taped in at 20 1/8". Thanks for his month of support in the arms race.

Adrian Wilson back from her win at the Pleasanton Highland games( the big one) squeezed a Sapporo can to put her spear in the sand to enter. Baby D will be back from New York to counter offer grip prowess.

Big Chad put a hard squeeze on a Saporro can but from the photos I still see no shots of two sides touching. Monster Rich has be deadlifting like a crane so I would guess his hands are in fair shape. I know around here there are cans available. I am surprised all the recent and past standouts in crushing big grippers are shying away from this simple feat of basic crush strength. I know sometimes we all get busy solving the problems of the world and time and grip just slips away.

From a quote my son sent me from the book Moby Dick an utterance from Captain Ahab himself" "I like a good grip,I like to feel something in this slippery world that can hold a man". ( or a can?)

The monsta big Rich said he was coming by this afternoon to try a can. He wants to burst a full one too. I don't know if that will happen but, I have seen stranger things done.