From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

I guess the big man Rich will stroll by after lunch today to "crunch"You never know what will happen. I won't be close by if he tries to burst a filled Saporro "for fun. "Baby D is on her way back from New York to give it a try as well.

Lifting last night went very well bench press for 8 sets of 5 with last 5 sets at 250-255 for me was the best I had done in probably 2 years. Squats 8 sets of three following . The gals and guys did well with some smooth rep set deadlifts.

Big time Thompson protocol stretching and neck traction as well.

I warmed up and motored through nutcracker type grippers both right and left handed for my original plan of a one set rep warmup and then 7 singles at a hard gripper . Results were very good with most top attempts going below 1/4".

Rich Williams the winner of several of the Mighty Mitts contest at the Arnold's Sports festival came by to try the Sopporo can crush. He was relaxed, no warmup ,and a day after heavy training ,but willing. One monster crush and eyes fire red afterward ,the can resisted mightily. So far no opposing sides have touched on a can but it was given a great ride by both Chad Woodall and Rich.

We talked" training" the way the hands interact, and how they should be trained. He attributed much of his power from the thick handled accessory bars he has always used in his training.

His recent 405x10 in the incline with 440x7 and 500 x3 certainly show as evidenced by his relaxed shoulder width measured front and back at 28" with a steel tape. Pictures were taken as well. A fun , informative, afternoon.

They are powerful men. Truly would be interested to see them step up and give it a try. Brian has huge potential but stays so busy competing I never have seen him personally in his "top grip" form. Mr. Burk is gifted with some real meathooks. It is interesting to speculate though. Great ones both.

Well,back from three days of heat, skeeters, snakes, a ,courting bull gator and spotted 69 deer. I am amazed how important good optics are in being able to see nearly invisible wildlife. Mother Nature has taught and camouflaged them well. I was much more careful after son Bert ran into the big rattler last hunt so even around camp kept the snake boots on. A long rain Monday morn dampened my spirits but not my vision. Driven out by the cool air and rising water table a good sized copperhead was lying right in my path. Masters of blending ,I stepped right on him. He was either hurt from my step,stunned at how ugly I am,or cold enough to be moving slow. My custom designed shooting stick was then employed to bust his brain case. Lucky on that one. Saw a gator roaring and posturing in a swamp below my stand and even with deer standing around drinking and herons sanding as silent sentinels the gator still grabbed and promptly ate two herons. Well, adventure for now in the wilds is so it is over back to work.

In my travels my phone is in dead areas so I had to catch up on the sterling second attempt Big Rich tried 11pm the other night . He was well warmed up after workout and took the second Sapporo can he had and on a beautifully done clear video no set ,one handed arm away from body in one mighty squeeze ! Crushed a Saporro can nearly flat. Amazing to see sides touching! That might be the men's winner unless another stouthearted grip monster gives it a go. Amazing power in the video!

Thirteen years ago on this morning I climbed through the row of bushes bordering the interstate frontage road our building is on an a guy I called Chunk helped me secure an American flag to the chain link fence that faces the interstate where thousands of scared, shocked ,and angered Americans passed that morning. We just went out at 8:46 and did it again this morn. For a few moths after 911 everyone was about America our , loss our gifts our freedom , but as an old sirt just fades and is put aside . We learn from history and should not forget that those who want to destroy our life do lurk close and If we have learned nothing by the loss and sacrifice of those innocent men women and children victimized by a dark force ,we will again become willing lambs to slaughter. Tell the ones too young to fully remember YOUR feelings of that day. Don't hate but, don't allow this to happen again........ever.

See you at the gym tonight!

Training went well last night. Benches again up 3 sets of 6 paused at 250. One arm dumbbell rows 3 sets of 15 each arm with 100 and a finisher of 30 reps with the Hundo. On the next task 8 sets of three in the squat up to a top work set of 350. Increased volume and resistance in Thompson protocol stretching is really working. No more nagging daily hip and back pain. I went to the recovery rig section of the gym and set up a new way to traction the neck in a progressive manner with the positive results being almost instant. As I said before" the one that wins is the man that recovers first"

Good to see the young bucks still training hard with Johnny benching 235x6 and Hundo slapping up 315 x8 ..... 300 and 400 singles just around the corner for them. Even Ms Sonya with her new "do" came in with her game face and benched 100 x6 so a 135 single is in the nearby stars for her as well. Clark took a quick leave after arm curls and as he tiptoed out I asked what was the problem with " no squats"? He mumbled something about his new girlfriend......what ,is SHE going to do them for him? Man up!lol

Richard, I was wondering where I could find more info on the Thompson stretching protocol and shoulder rehab stuff? Been having a heck of a time with mine.

Thanks,

Aaron

Donnie Thompson posted the highest super heavyweight power total of all time 3000. What every person saw him do at the meet was just the tip of the iceberg. His diet,rest, warmup , stretching pre and post, rehab, gear use and selection is a mystery to almost all. It does not happen by hard work , burn out sets or not taking care of yourself. It is a long range ,calculated , planned, ascent to the top. Injuries usually take lifters out before age so keeping things in a healthy condition ,ready to train is valuable. His stretching learned from the band use inventor Dick Hartsell and his background of football, lifting ,and being a professional rehab tech has put him in a good position. I asked him the other day "from what you do and the simple things you have shown me how many high level lifters know or do this protocol"? Donnie shook his head and said "almost none". Lift, sleep, eat that is about it. "That is why they don't stay around long". I have made more gains since the Thompson protocol than in the last 4 years sleep better, and lift more.

He does group seminars , has a gym that is self teaching by his methods, he has quite a bit of You Tube info up I would guess, and takes on clients on "a time spent "basis. There are a regular flow of top nfl athletes visiting him.

In a nut shell,... ALL we do compresses and tightens the body, to re align, gain mobility , "open up those weak secret places"and have a passive self aligning de-load is the key. The hips , hamstring neck and shoulders being the top areas for problems. To relax the muscles and have properly placed body stretched by bands while opening and shifting the joints is the key. In this case it would take years to learn it all but at any cost to learn half a dozen moves will erase pain and add years to your active life and pounds to your lifts.

Going to take a quick half day and move towards the hunt area. Top moon phase and doe deer season open. My Son's cousin Jordan aka Capt Ahab brought in several monster gators topping it off with a bow only kill of a 12'6 ,798 lb monster . I guess I might should have used my tag. That will be pretty high ranked in Safari Club International record books,. My last gator an 11'1 was harpooned hand thrown style and then I hooked the 3000lb test bull line strap to a rolling thunder. I wanted to see "who would prevail " in the tug of war. Eventually I pulled him in . Perhaps the only gator ever landed in such a way. The part of the equation I neglected that pulling in a very large live gator could be interesting if he decided to fight ,bite ,or not escape by jumping into the low sided boat to join us.

I will change training day to Wednesday and Friday this week. I will take my stretch bands with me and have a mobile Sorinex, rack ,bench ,rig at the hunt camp to keep moving along.

Excited to attend the AOBS strongman dinner on Oct 11, in Newark NJ.

End of Saporro can crush is Sept 22, 2014 for sent in signed and dated entries. So far Adrian Wilson leads for Women and Rich "Car Crusher "Williams is ahead for men. In hopes to see something from Burke, Kinney, Wade,or Jedd, Glass or Durniat.

Time in the woods in fresh air working cutting , dragging trees, climbing, carrying feed sacks all tend to test the real strength you think you have. Hydration is so important. Attention to detail and planning is important for success. The local dyed in the wool hunters are taking a second look at a "city guy born in Jersey" seeing 21 deer while not a hair was seen by the rest. Deer hunting planning teaches me how to compete against a crafty or dangerous animal on his OWN terms, combine weather and moon phase information ,with we all are internally " set" by. Same as in grip or whatever your passion is . Your effort might be good but enhance every available training moment with the best simple equipment you can secure. If you don' t have all the funds take your time and save to get the basics covered in a quality ,one at a time plan.

Training today and stretching to keep my edge. Tomorrow as well devoted to back arms and grip.

With a crowd or alone you have to keep the spirit. Dave , my long time friend fighting terminal cancer by every means possible for the last 9 years was cheery saying how much lifting has helped him and "in a few years retire to deer hunt more" . What pure inner strength that man has! He assured me that "the place" would be all mine on this "off training day" Wednesday. I locked the door but then opened it and put my phone in my pocket. Heavy doubles on the bench at 270 all made, curls in sets of 6 to 170 , machine curls at 5 sets of 10 at 90 and squat triples on a 1969 old York bar to sets of 3 at 365.

Stretching still improves with a much heavier band combo and range of motion is far greater, best new thing I have done for myself!

I was testing a heavy duty neck traction harness slipped off the seat and damn near hung myself.... All in the inventing process. Ouch progress hurts !!!!!!

Saw a Sapporo can crush done in video that may well be the best done so far by the monster Dave that has competed at the Arrnolds Mighty Mitts.

Singles night tonight for the pack so I will be there cheering Hundo and John on to their 400and 300 lb planned bench attempts. They have worked hard!

Time in the woods in fresh air working cutting , dragging trees, climbing, carrying feed sacks all tend to test the real strength you think you have. Hydration is so important. Attention to detail and planning is important for success. The local dyed in the wool hunters are taking a second look at a "city guy born in Jersey" seeing 21 deer while not a hair was seen by the rest. Deer hunting planning teaches me how to compete against a crafty or dangerous animal on his OWN terms, combine weather and moon phase information ,with we all are internally " set" by. Same as in grip or whatever your passion is . Your effort might be good but enhance every available training moment with the best simple equipment you can secure. If you don' t have all the funds take your time and save to get the basics covered in a quality ,one at a time plan.

Training today and stretching to keep my edge. Tomorrow as well devoted to back arms and grip.

Dragging trees, brother. THAT is a WORKOUT!

I was a bit tired from my Wed. return workout but "the pack" wanted to go for their single rep bench goals. They have come so far I wanted to be there so I lifted again last night just missing a 320 paused single and doing a grueling 5 sets of 20 each arm in the dumbbell row with a 134bell. Yow, sweat time!

The other guys did their Thursday workout as usual with their bench singles first. All equalled or exceeded their lifetime best. That is the greatest reward for a coach to see them " arrive" . Mitch and Clark at about 175 bodyweight both did 280. Johnny ,who has come so far blasted 265,300, and 305 for a great day. Hundo weighing in at 210 with clothes after a hard day of hauling steel in the shop set his mind to his "secret goal of 400". Done with power to spare! Lots of joy seen in those young guys. I wish I had that "new feeling "again! It now is just in another form. My health is better than it has been in years being more active and less stressed both in mind and body. The stretching is working like magic to heal those aches and pains I have had for years and to offset heavy lifting with hours sitting still at a desk stiffening up like concrete. At any age make a plan do what you can and stick to it. Water....drink plenty. Train as you wish to compete and always leave the pump primed for the next to drink from your experience.

Relaxing weekend. Will train today . Everyone should be happy from last week reaching their goals.

Baby D and Adrianne Wilson have had a great time in Vegas at Olympia. D won her class and took second overall by a scant bit in Strongwomen. Hopefully she is back to crush Sapporo can to recoup a bit of lost revenue. Mighty proud of our female crew doing throws and weights that are beyond most any of the men's capability involved in strength sports.

Sore hip and all Ms. Sonya knocked out six deep reps in the squat with 155. A long way from just an empty bar. Everyone there is proud to see the spirit she shows daily. Baby D was a bit hurt in her bicep so went to the wizard Donnie Thompson for some stretching and band wrap work. Almost magically heals. The guys were in good spirits with Clark popping 275 for a double in the bench at 175 bodyweight he will get 300 soon I would think. I benched 285x2 raw comfortable and squatted to 345 for doubles. Good stretching and poised to hit the woods again this eve. I saw House Wilson close a pretty new three no problem and I even gave it a bit of a ride. I wish that big guy would go ahead and certify to become a husband and wife CoC couple.

A word about giving back. My son and I were looking at some close by hunting land and the good natured lawyer with us had a young(16) son with him. The son we go to find out works his butt off all summer doing construction and tin roofing. He also collected 6000.00 in aluminum cans and steel to put away for school."No gifted entitled kid "there. He asked Bert to show him about hunting and even as busy as Bert is he took the time with the game young lad as others had done for Bert as a youngster. Work building a blinds, and hauling by hand buckets corn paid off Sunday with two great deer for the freezer. Giving back the time or effort to those worthy to carry on something you love like fishing, hunting, grip or baseball is the very essence of the joy in life and YOUR legacy going on. Take the time to show some young foks about grip. Not only will it grow, your enthusiasm will go on to be appreciated by those to come.

Edited by 1stCoC

Final results of Saporro can crush. Submitted cans by men top two Rich Williams ,second David Labbe, third Chad Woodall. The cans were measured by eye by three impartial judges and then by EXACT water displacement measure. It was so very close but there was a clear winner. Both sent videos of crushes along with can . One extra video was submitted by Williams of a monster flat crush but can did not arrive in time. Still the first was enough to win. Woodall as I thought he would be was a strong entry as well. Adrianne Wilson the First Lady of CoC won the ladies division. 100.00 prize to each winner. Thanks to each and every participant!

Worked out Monday and took a few days hunting saw 32 deer and a gator...again. Everything is humming here .we have a self contained training ,move , and recovery module that is portable deployable world wide.

Son Bert was thrilled to meet chief ranking officer in USMC and took a workout on the system with Lee Ermy and fellow actor that played my favorite part in Full Metal Jacket. " Animal Mother" Adam Baldwin stays in great shape and wants to make the most of our gear transported to his film sets. Animal had a motto on his Helmet " Become a Death" that I had printed on my sweat band I used for hunting for years . Fun stuff! The recovery station was in full use daily.

Big Rich said in training ( with straps) pulled 805 on an axle. Ugh......heavyyyyyy

Good night lifting .benches 5sets of 5 and went straight to deadlifts for a change up. Old school bar and weights taken on my own time as others did their workouts. I needed some thinking time so what better to do than deadlifts. Worked easily and hard in sets of 3 to 405 and back to 4 more sets at 365, 2 sets of 5at 330, and two finisher sets of 10 at 275.

Stretching ,Thompson protocol calmed my back and hips in a few minutes and did some neck traction on a simple new device.

I was moved to action yesterday thinking " boy I have been busy "but upon seeing some very long time friend visit I was in a way glad to be "able and game "to do the things I love despite the choice of letting injury or neglect put me aside. My friend I haven seen for several years remains changed from a vibrant life to a home body cursed by the ravenges of smoking and the agent orange he dealt with during th Viet Nam conflict. Wounded three times and blown up by a fleshette round from "our side" left him filled with pain and metal for life. A few years back he gave me his then (1967)new watch he had bought the day before his last injury. It was stopped at the moment of blast impact. As he lay dying he had the presence of mind to smear his blood and soil over his wrists to hopefully prevent the watch being seen by the enemy when they found his body. I treasure that gift and his commitment to America. He arrived yesterday winded from climbing the steps to our plant and had a portable oxygen bottle with him. A shell of what he was , he said the last heavy thing he lifted was 11 years ago. I didn't feel sorry for him just glad to listen and be a friend. I don't know if in his perceptive mind he was squaring all things up for a "tough or short road ahead". He summed it up when he in a low raspy voice said " my mom just passed at 93 , I don't think I will see that age nor do I want to" . Proud to have played the cards dealt by almost urging me to stay active and strong as long as I could. It's all about quality of life not quantity. Thanks Frank.

• Like 4

Varied my weekend from hunting to seeing some local town sites and kicking back a bit doing some light work inventing with my hands. Tonight should be a good lifting night being cooler

My son Bert has returned from some great meetings with top college coaches , military operators ,and the actors in the movie Full Metal Jacket are putting together a tv series on a post World War 3 situational drama. Adam ( Animal Mother) Baldwin is excited to get back together with us in LA. We have some designs to do some specific training during filming on site.

Baby D has competed non stop so it will be great to have her back with us again to let dust settle and get to train on a regular basis.

I don't know if it is the cooler air , life going pretty well , stretching, or the sessions I have been doing with the the band activated neck/ harness decompression unit I have been using the last three weeks but my bench and standing press have gone up quite a bit. Reps singles ,and sets have increased. I don't know if all the nerve damage I sustained a year ago to my neck and rotator cuff area is being helped by the decompression ,added range of motion from the Thompson protocol or what but I am sleeping better, and lifting more than I have done in years .......perhaps decades.

Good night lifting .benches 5sets of 5 and went straight to deadlifts for a change up. Old school bar and weights taken on my own time as others did their workouts. I needed some thinking time so what better to do than deadlifts. Worked easily and hard in sets of 3 to 405 and back to 4 more sets at 365, 2 sets of 5at 330, and two finisher sets of 10 at 275.

Stretching ,Thompson protocol calmed my back and hips in a few minutes and did some neck traction on a simple new device.

I was moved to action yesterday thinking " boy I have been busy "but upon seeing some very long time friend visit I was in a way glad to be "able and game "to do the things I love despite the choice of letting injury or neglect put me aside. My friend I haven seen for several years remains changed from a vibrant life to a home body cursed by the ravenges of smoking and the agent orange he dealt with during th Viet Nam conflict. Wounded three times and blown up by a fleshette round from "our side" left him filled with pain and metal for life. A few years back he gave me his then (1967)new watch he had bought the day before his last injury. It was stopped at the moment of blast impact. As he lay dying he had the presence of mind to smear his blood and soil over his wrists to hopefully prevent the watch being seen by the enemy when they found his body. I treasure that gift and his commitment to America. He arrived yesterday winded from climbing the steps to our plant and had a portable oxygen bottle with him. A shell of what he was , he said the last heavy thing he lifted was 11 years ago. I didn't feel sorry for him just glad to listen and be a friend. I don't know if in his perceptive mind he was squaring all things up for a "tough or short road ahead". He summed it up when he in a low raspy voice said " my mom just passed at 93 , I don't think I will see that age nor do I want to" . Proud to have played the cards dealt by almost urging me to stay active and strong as long as I could. It's all about quality of life not quantity. Thanks Frank.

Glad to read your friend is up and moving. I haven't seen some friends and years and when you catch up to them....you realize "true friendship never dies"

War is a terrible business - no one escapes unscathed. Tell your friend a fellow Vietnam Vet wishes him well.