From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

We shook off the time change,Arnold's , and all are rested included the troops , Bert, and the family. Squats Monday night kicked us back in and after a sore night felt great yesterday. We did triplex pulls last night (our key favorite lift )and deadlifts. Most guys, Mitch, Johnny and the fearless accountant Kenny manned up with doubling their best single deadlift and Kenny going deep and smoking 20 over his recent best single for get this .......5, my back is again getting used to the weights and pressure. I plan on 500 again on my birthday. This year we will on June 20th have Summerstrong 7 the 3 day strength expo here featuring some of the top pro coaches and trainers in the country. Like a Woodstock of Iron and training. Grips have healed up a bit and recovery being older truly takes longer. We are going to be doing some thick bar lockouts and supports to ready the Golgi organs and connective tissue to stand greater weights. We have been having some good gripping and lifts but with stalls during completion signaling the weight is not too heavy to move but, the body is shifting into a support, safety mode. If the heaviest weight or block you have ever held is also the max you are trying your body is applying an automatic brake unless you learn how to get around it.

Very interesting theory there, pops. Maybe I should employ some heavy holds and squat walkouts to get the nervous system used to much more weight.

Yes, short term prior to a record attempt ( no more than 45 seconds) I with assistance take a weight of and do a few partial quick reps with 20-30 kilos over the intended record weight . Then reload and go for my record full lift before the joint receptors re calibrate. If you combine with mental visual practice of every aspect of a successful lift the hours before you try a big one that will help too. Rhythmic safe ,partial heavy squats and benches done no more than once a week will help as well. Remember ,if you can't move it or it buries you, it IS too heavy. If you drive the bar partial distance up and it stalls or you stop ,just holding it from going up or down that is the auto protect muscle fire system putting the supporting breaks on to protect the joint that registered the high level of pressure. In the bench the brain for safety automatically tells all muscles in the front and back of arm to fire this creating a rigid safe support. In a good bencher ,he tries to push the bench and his body away from the bar not push the weight upward away from himself. You can test this by making your arm near straight and tensing equally the bicep and tricep. It will support but try to move it......it won't. Second test ,lean with back on solid wall or door jamb. Have a person stand in front of you about a foot away. Place your hand on their chest relax bicep totally, contract tricep as you try to wedge your body away from the other person. Amazing isn't it HOW strong a lockout that becomes!

• Like 1

Another wide open night. Added another happy soul to SBI( Strength By Invitation) group. About everyone showed up and helped the new person feel welcome . Ms D came in last night and ripped up a 255 double overhand 2" IM axle lift and then pulled like a clean 268 above knee level 5 times in a row. She is so very strong I think her body drive just literally tears her hands from the bar midway to deadlift finish. I will work with her a bit more and there is no doubt the world standard is easily within her grasp. Everyone was on top of the curls for some reason . I have always done some serious arm work and my workouts give them ( the pack)no quarter but the results both in muscle size and direct strength have been amazing. The wave pattern we use suits everyone well. I was on the grippers last night fresh and did better than when I backed off feeling overtrained. The arthritis subsided bit and wrists and fingers were working well. Right and left hand TNS closes went very smoothly..

I have been thinking since the Mighty Mitts a way to help grip along further with perhaps joining forces for the show and a grip demo to highlight national grip scene with perhaps people like Nick, Jed, Andrew,Chris,JT sponsored by Sorinex. I don't know ......just an idea to perhaps spread good things. A grip get together in a setting at the Arnolds might add to the ranks of gripperdom! I would welcome any input.

• Like 1

Richard - I have a lot of my plate the next few days - I'll write up some thoughts later - and a Thank You for including me into the likes of Nick, JT, Jedd, etc.

I see that a good last week will breed a good new week. Ready to hit the grip tonight and start preparing my pack to handle the larger weights after they have now created a solid base of strength, knowledge, and body mass.

I do feel that the "in the trenches "grip stalwarts can combine with some help and exposure to get the unwashed masses to understand and appreciate grip more. If my plan was to get wealthy selling grip equipment or promoting giants of grip to sustain me and my business I should have rethought that in an economic way long ago. I do feel it is worthwhile endeavor to support and give the best chance to help others enjoy something in my life that has brought me some great friends ,memories and has a definite , legit place in the world of strength. We are "too small a club "to bash anyone's efforts, belittle them with trendy negative abbreviations while at the same time exploiting their patronage for profit . Grip can grow if we put it in the proper perspective. I think the similar fractioning of Powerlifting over the years has lined some pockets , built more trophies ,but has pushed the" man against man "battle aside with at the end of the year 17 different state champions in multiple federations in the 242 class instead of one. Discord and infighting gives each small group "their way" but seems to have slowed progress in our and other sport development.

I always think a single big wolf will often be hungry and fail with the large critters being relegated to chasing and eating ground squirrels while an organized pack with a defined territory can pull anything down and thrive. Our choice.

I think there is still too much of a mystique surrounding grip sport... Or even the basement/garage dwellers who perform world class feats of hand strength witnessed by the four walls that surround them. There's this misconception that only big guys with big hands can do well in the grip scene. Furthermore, even the most elementary grip training techniques are completely unknown to most seasoned gym rats.

I like what you're doing Richard, putting this stuff on the main stage... But it's up to us, the community, to reach outside the gripboard and find more interest - it's out there. Guys want stronger hands, most just think its something you either have or you don't. If more people knew the possibilities that gripsport opens, the contests would be PACKED.

Thanks for what you do Richard

Great thoughts! In unity there is strength . The value and significance of hand strength is such an important but frequently overlooked part of sports and our culture. Grip is as with life........what you make it.

Training was as I expected all out even though the "Day of Green" was battered by gloom and cold. Our new member slipped in with a smile and was trained like one of the usual suspects of the Pack by Ms. D. We did grip work, my TNS work with both hands has come back strongly, with the 2.5 yielding and being held iso after the squeeze. My guts are feeling better after more walking ,and stretching doing deadlifts. Hit some nice, raw squats last night ending up with 430 which is the most I have tried in a while. Bench has moved up in across board, repeat high intensity sets, instead of the more normal Bell curve most trainees follow.

Well, I should listen to myself sometimes. The weather is warming a little, the daylight is longer, and the guys are anxious to be outside a bit. Anxious can be good or bad. Step one a "rack poop "filled Bosco hollow Inch sized Bell is brought to gym and plunked down by Johnny. He looks at me says "heavy" and walks away. I put my wrist bands on and walk straight to it not knowing the weight of the bell filled with steel slugs. One feel and decide to either clean or snatch it( bad move) or leave it alone. Pulled it high enough to snatch but let it settle into a comfortable clean. Dropped it and said" feels like about 100" they reply 90 " dead nuts" .Well, a good bell for rowing, snatch ,clean and grip work with an economic fill media.

I walk over to first exercise area with triplex pulls ,and since they were all moving along I took some double sets to catch up. ( wrong). The weight steadily went up through the 3 grip width phases of the triplex and all felt good. I complained( but did nothing about the uneven loading of the bar) about the mis matched weights on the bar. Same weight but different sizes and brands. Five times I mentioned but no reaction from me or the pack.....just pushing on. On the last set the weight still felt off in balance but light so I thought to "gas "the group and whip out 3 pulls without pause on pull block( as I have shown them) and on rep three "BOING" my right hamstring partially tears with the sound of breaking uncooked spaghetti. Pain like being shot with buckshot or .22( have been hit by both) searing in my leg. Another week or so of pain and limping ( but not a missed workout) for not listening to my body, ensuring safety, not focusing, or sticking to the program. Some day I WILL learn. All my big injuries were not by fate and for the most part could have been eliminated by more careful thought and adhering to my past words of 40 years " take your time and do it right!"

Well , pollen is flying and noses run ,coughs and my voice is gone but, to the gym we went last night. The pack is still on an upswing some great heavy dumbbell rowing by every day guys up to 150s flying last night. We are going to start using the thick handled Bosco bell we filled to 90 as a staple weight and would like to get where 5 sets of 10 each arm are done with the 138 Inch replica.

My hamstring has a tear in it but not excessive bruising or bleeding on the skin so with the leg bound in an ace bandage I went through the squatting motions last night starting with the empty bar and finishing at 115. It is important to gently stretch that injured area and start rehab to lower scar tissue buildup. The foam roller while uncomfortable was used as well.

We have a new addition to the pack a student of mine over 35 years ago wanting to "start again". Everyone has pitched in to help and the goal of 10 singles in the squat with an empty bar took over an hour ..... But they were done. It is easy to coach the strong and gifted, but if you want to really give back help those who are ( for now) weak.

• Like 2

... It is easy to coach the strong and gifted, but if you want to really give back help those who are ( for now) weak.

Well said. :)

I was so pleased to be a small part of the success of our two stalwarts in the World championship titles in the Highland Games. Dan Mc Kim a truly wonderful athlete , father , and person is now working with us and our ever present powerhouse of grip, Highland events, Powerlifting ,and Strongwomen has capped her efforts off in winning the Worlds Championships held in Phoenix Az. She is or is right at the best in four different strength sports in the World! Our most sincere ,best wishes for a continued successful career! What's next?

I was so pleased to be a small part of the success of our two stalwarts in the World championship titles in the Highland Games. Dan Mc Kim a truly wonderful athlete , father , and person is now working with us and our ever present powerhouse of grip, Highland events, Powerlifting ,and Strongwomen has capped her efforts off in winning the Worlds Championships held in Phoenix Az. She is or is right at the best in four different strength sports in the World! Our most sincere ,best wishes for a continued successful career! What's next?

Ballet ? :)

Ms D with the most dense ( and 35" ) quads I have seen on a gal and toying with world record log clean and presses at 255 which honestly is more than any of the regular pack except " The Cyborg" OR most of you strong fellows out in grip land can do. I want her to do things like put away the 2.5 cert "for fun" and then continue to expand all possibilities to be the most versatile woman strength athlete ever.

Ms D is actually far more flexible and explosive in her moves than you would ever think. Dancing with the Stars or Ballet might be her true calling! Good call Climber!

Ms D is actually far more flexible and explosive in her moves than you would ever think. Dancing with the Stars or Ballet might be her true calling! Good call Climber!

I had the pleasure of watching her throw as a kid in HS - and it was a pleasure.

Baby D is a growing wonder of nature. The entire Pack ( even Silent Bob) placed a chalk big "D "0n or t shirt fronts to honor her and her exemplary work.

Our workout went well a , a few struggling with the bench lowering the bar touch and go too high on chest with no body drive. They will learn. Clark after a kick in the pants wound up having a good night actually coaching Silent Bob on proper good mornings a lift Clark himself only recently mastered. Silent actually said a few words to me last night..... I thought it was a dream. Everyone is pulling together. A few were on the big red 1 bench seat gasping for air after they finished( like the red pre 911 zone) I had a really good workout on weights and grippers. With my torn hamstring it has been a painful week but careful rehab ,ice ,and pressure right after the injury has allowed ( somehow) to not miss a squat session. The first day hands on rack air squats, the second barely making the empty bar, third up to 115 lb. and last night I figured I would take it as far as I could stand doing low correct raw form. I figured 135. I slowly started at 75 and took 25 lb.jumps until the weight somehow red a magic 325. Sunday my leg barely could support it's own weight and the foot and leg was so swollen I couldn't pull my boot on. I think there is someone above perhaps helping me along!

Adrianne Wilson First Lady of #2 mastery, multi champion in the Highland games and a victor over cancer at an early age came in just beaming and proud of her pupil Baby D. A real champions giving attitude! She squashed a #2 like a bug with no warmup and clamped a 2.5 down to under 1/8 " several times. I think there will be a push to cert on the 2.5 by these fine ladies. It is easily within both their power ranges.

I filled a Bosco bell with 90 lbs of "rack poop" and it feels great. I tried my one arm rows with it non stop bare handed coming to a straight arm position( not touching floor or stopping) to see how many I could get at the end of an arm/ back workout. 20 reps each arm with the 90 inch about killed me and my grip. The 90 being roughly the size of the Inch replica and about half the weight gives you the feel and the opportunity to do more reps and exercises with it. The 112 full stop between rep video I saw the other day inspired me. With my leg tightly bandaged I Triplex pulled and deadlifted. Weights were low but .....I did them. Coming back again quick!

Baby D should be back from Arizona and a college group with their Olympian "legend" coach will be at the facility tonight. Sparks will fly! A lot of grip friendly folks in that crowd! I have to go and see if I can spy a few turkey roosts this afternoon then put my lifting face back on by 5:30.

Actually a second Olympian just walked into the office with his group saying hello looking at some work and equipment we have been doing with rehab and injury prevention . The Weems Baskin memorial track and field meet is this weekend in Columbia. Son Bert being an SEC Champion and record holder in track makes this a great weekend for him to visit old rivals.....now friends.

It was a super weekend started with fog and cleared. The sportsman classic was interesting. They had gator swamp king Troy Landry there signing autographs. I was lucky enough to meet him and his family when we were just plain gator hunters from SC passing through his town. A fine man and good pople.

Watching the teams compete at the Weems Baskin track classic with my son and grandson had me fired up. The two Olympian coaches were there and mentioned at my age I could perhaps take back the Worlds Master record in the discus. I went back after 27 years in 2000 and managed a 154 ' throw on one leg the other having a complete torn calf. Since 1968 I have lost much flexibility but , my lifts in 1968, 2000,and now 13 year later again are actually about the same. The track mates that showed up from our old Carolina team look an move like old men. Time does a number on us all! My numbers are a pretty easy 300, 400, 500 in the three power lifts and perhaps with more stretching and conditioning the disc would fly again. I can't wait another 13 years. I would like to teach my grandson what started it all.

Even though foot and wrists sore the excitement of the plates clanging usually takes care of the hesitation. 13 sets of 5 in squat, walking fast 20 min, and 30 second sprints on the dreaded Versa Climber unit about gassed this old man. That machine will get anyone or thing in shape.

Everyone lifted well the warm air changing the work tempo but, ok since we cycle our training intensity any way. The new members re making it every workout and their body is responding well to the workload. We designed a custom safety bench press unit for the NFL testing tomorrow at U South Carolina. It is a good way to protect not only million dollar potential players from face and neck injury but our every day home gym trainer, high school ,and college friends can avoid horrific injuries as well. Several of the top players in the nation will be tested tomorrow. Big day for all!

We pulled out the Dyno last night after seeing thousands try it at the Arnolds Festival. Typical Women25-40 kilo, men strong 50-70 monsters (about a dozen) 80 plus. Son Bert did 90 kilo either hand last night, Johhny 75-80 and a new lady training with us nailed 50 a few times. Not bad for just a months training!

Red letter day had the entire,morning to visit and train with powerlifting legend Donny Thompson in his private training compound. Yesterday and all week he has two prime NFL players that pay and have played for the Bears. Olin Krentz , 6 time pro bowler and voted top ten meanest players and a specimen of power Roberto Garza started past 148 games for Bears . Trained away twice a day hands on training. With thick bars, varying light sleds pulls this particular workout. As I said combining grip and lifting as the old school men did. Both were fearsome guys but friendly and respectful. Having a gent that played in the Super Bowl call you "sir "was quite an honor. We did a lot of band stretch and rehab as well. Coach Super D is a wizard!. We finished phase 1 of the day followed by eating enough home cooked BBQ and fish to satisfy a pair of T Rex's. they will be back again in two weeks or so.

For my second part of the day I went to gym and among other things tried our Super D( for Ms. d and big Donnie) Anderson camber bar barrel squat. I know now what a true innovator Anderson was. Safety, comfort, capacity, and perfect body alignment was available in the simple apparatus. BEST leg workout I have had in a long time. The old guys knew what worked they just didn't address the science. Ms. D knocked out a super low raw 401 on first try. If you miss it automatically saves you and let's you easily slip out from under the bar.

I was glad to hear Dave Hartnett received his custom Bosco bell. He will have some fun hauling that monster up. It can be loaded to 263 with our Solid slug steel punching" Rack poop".

My back is still feeling the rows from the other night. Last set of 110 x30 each arm. Looking to get 134 x 50 each arm soon. My legs have never felt better from the stretch in the frontal quads due to the great balance afforded by the Super D barrel squatting. Sitting very upright and comfortable really helps save the back ,and shoulders while really Isolating the legs. Reps with this puppy should help with cardio too. A set of 25-50 reps with 250 would gas most any human.